OtakuBoards

Attatchments...

Juu

[color=deeppink] [size=1]I was wondering, I think it would make things a little more convienient if we could attatch files into our pm's. ^_^'
That way, we wouldn't have to go to another website, wait for the page to load, wait for the attatchment to attatch, just to send one picture to a member on the boards. (especially if they're using a modem).

just a suggestion. ^_^[/color] [/size]

I think it would be a good idea too, but what D_A was saying is true also... plus I don't think we could edit the code for it to work the right way... Because with everything you change, something else will change also. Anyway, if something goes wrong, we could lose the whole Private Message system all together for a while...

[COLOR=deeppink]This topic has come up before, and the answer was no. There were a few reasons, but the only one I can remember is that the staff can't monitor images sent through PMs.

I'd find the topic and link it (as I am so good at ^_^), but this was almsot a year ago, so I'm not looking through all that.[/COLOR]

[color=#507AAC]Yes, I'm afraid the answer to this question must be no.

And I'll list the reasons.

1) We are unable to monitor what is sent via PM. Therefore, if people are being harassed or if people are sending inappropriate images, we will have no way of protecting members.

2) As you know, we already have rules relating to posting erroneous/pointless/unrelated images in threads purely for the purpose of using OB as a host. This problem would grow ten fold if we allowed attachments on PMs.

Those are the basic reasons why we don't have this kind of system in place. [/color]

I don't know if this would work, but could you attach a file but not have it show up until a moderator checks it? This would not only prevent OB hosting, but also give you an opportunity to monitor PM [i]images[/i] without the message.

And out of curiosity, why can't PMs be moderated? It is, after all, a private board, so shouldn't the owners of the board have that right? If it were some government or somehow un"owned" board, maybe there should be privacy concerns, but if spammers can be told to make their own boards surely PMmers who value the P can make their own boards - or use e-mail, an older system that probably works better.
(No, don't interpret this as a defense for the spammers - I'm not being sarcastic or ironic or whatever.)

[color=#507AAC]It's just unrealistic to Moderate PMs. We already have our hands full in terms of taking care of the main forums. PMs are sent frequently and Moderating them would effectively double the workload.

Plus, if an attachment didn't show up until someone checks it...it means that you may not see the attachment for hours or days.

So it's an issue of being realistic (what we can realistically do) as well as a software issue -- the software really does not exist to Moderate PMs.[/color]

Guest cloricus
Would we want you guys modding our pm's anyway, that means in some cases reading them.
Can you do that already?
Any way attachments in pm?s that would just slow the boards down, and they are just bearably fast enough now...
Just get a geocities account, an ftp and your set it?s easy to.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cloricus[/i]
[B]Would we want you guys modding our pm's anyway, that means in some cases reading them.[/B][/QUOTE][color=indigo]I was thinking the same thing, "So much for the idea of 'laissez-faire'.". Private Messages are named such for a reason, which also happens to be one of the reasons why attachments in them will not happen.[/color]