Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Welcome everyone, welcome to Zidane's lecture... lol.

Well for some reason, I was thinking during the 'ole Helm's Deep process in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, just why all Black Mages have darkened face with bright yellow eyes that come out of no where.
I've got a theory that Black Mages have been conjured ou of darkness to tangle the elemental logic of the universe so they end up pretty much... nothingness, with yellow eyes.
I just thought this forums needed an interesting topic, so what do you think?
Posted
Or maybe there's just not alot of light on their faces, due to the shadow from the hat.

I've always thought that their faces were black due to some kind of Shroud that appears once they become Black mages, or something. To signify that they're a black mage, ya know?
Posted
[color=indigo]Yeah, I always just thought you couldn't see their face because of the shadow the heavy robe and hat makes, since they block most of their face.

As for the glowing eyes, maybe that's a side effect of all the dark magical energy? Kinda like how in FFVII, being exposed to large amounts of Mako energy kinda made your eyes glow a bit.[/color]
Posted
I figured the glowing eyes were just there in FF1 so you could see they actually somewhat had a face, rather than just some black area... Of course, FF9 turned them into something else entirely, so who knows anymore.
Posted
I thought the black mages in FF9 were [spoiler]merely Brahne's and Kuja's doll's, Vivi being the proto-type...[/spoiler] Well, maybe I was just too busy admiring the views, so that I missed some of the plot-twists... :rolleyes:
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
I'm pretty sure that their faces are black but not because of a shadow. It's been a while but I recall seeing vivi's face as he looked up at the sky. It can't always be shrouded because of his hat and stuff, that just wouldn't make since. I guess the yellow eyes are just because that's how they were made. Haven't any of you seen Yuna's eyes? I don't think her magic changed them, but then again anybody elses guess is just as good as mine.
Posted
Hah! I pointed out Yuna's eyes to you!

Anyways, I recall that scene too, in Alexandria. The shape of his head was rounded. Like that was his real head. Plus, all the times he looked up and was still black. Also when there were lights on the floor at one point, wouldn't his head be revealed?

On the same account, in older games, like 1 and 5, you can see that the mages are human. In FFT they even have hair! Well, that should start a fun arguement...
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Axel--Ignition [/i]
[B]On the same account, in older games, like 1 and 5, you can see that the mages are human. [/B][/QUOTE]



Well of course their humans. What else would they be? Sure, there's a few other things then humans they could be, but none of them are really that good.


Here's a few examples of human black mages:

[list]
[*]In FF5, one of the jobs on the job system is black mage. How would a human transform from a person to some other race just to use black magic?
[*]In FF 10, Lulu is a black mage, and she just looks like a normal human. No hat or cloak, either.
[*]In FF2, the black mage is just a regular human who can use magic
[/list]


See, they're humans.
Posted
Oohhh.. Forgot about this.
[spoiler]The BM's in FF IX were made from the Mist being sprayed on some Eggs. Their eyes may be sideeffects from that.[/spoiler]
Posted
Well here's the _technical_ answer. In FF1, there was only a limited number of colours per sprite (four in fact--One of them being a transperant layer). The Black Mage has A Mustardy Yellow for his Hat/Hands/Eyes, A Darker yellow for the shading on his hat, and a blue.

So back then, the BM was the way he was for limitations on colour--And it worked. Why change a good thing, right?
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
[COLOR=blue]Well I just thought they had no face, it was just shadow from the hat.

It could be something else, I think the theory about the mist sounds resonable. I've never really thougt about it.

It could be the shoadow, it could be the mist thing. But I just play the game, I don't think about it much.[/color]
Posted
yes, thinking is bad for the brain. But, if it was the color thing, they could have changed it for the other games. And I'll know someone'll say "But why would they do that if it worked?" They just could've, ok? And they did, in FFX, as someone mentioned before, Lulu's a black mage. So, yeah, they have to be human. That doesn't really make sense in Vivi's case I know, but bear with me
Posted
Sniglefager does have a piont with lulu, she was human but in FIX the black mages were like stolen souls or somthing they were dolls, when i first got to the black mage villiage i remember hearing that the black mages were dying out after a short time i think because they were artificially made but whatever i just scare myself when i get this into it. lol
Posted
[color=royal blue]*is royally confused now* Well, seeing how each FF game takes place in a different world (I assume), the rules are prolly different for each world. You'll notice that Chocobos differ from world to world. And the number and type of Summons fluctuate.

Or it's just the game makers, like Flash said. :p

As far as Yuna's eyes, I always thought she had those 'cause she was [spoiler]half Al Bhed and half...whatever else there is.[/spoiler] Nothing to do with her magic, really. I'm surprised Wakka never noticed, either. [/color]
Posted
[b][size=1]Some people in real life have two different coloured eyes. Maybe they just decided to make a fresh new character look? I dunno.

And black mages.. maybe they just wanted them to look y'know..slightly dark or something? As in destructive-type dark? And then after that, depending on the character of the black mage, they'd just change the look. Like in FF5..it could easily just be some sort of uniform. And in FF9, Vivi's a created thing, so he's fine like that. But in FF10, it'd be odd having a human looking unhumanish, and..[/b]

...I lost myself in all of it...but I think you know what I meant >__<[/size]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...