OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy The Movie.

Bing

[size=1][color=darkblue] So, has anyone seen this movie? What do you guys think of it? I really didn't like it, because it isn't like any of the games. IT fell asleep, it was that boring in my opinion. Can anyone actually explain the storyline to me, becuas eit made no sense![/color][/size]

They were trying to get rid of those alien thingies. Aki and the old guy were trying to find the spirits, but the military dude wanted to blow the aliens up. Then, they found out the aliens were alien ghosts, and Aki found the last spirit, or something like that. Of course, I really don't understand it that much either. I think they should've just based the movie on FFVII

Nothing Final Fantasy has anything to do with anything Final Fantasy.

All games are independant. The only thing that remains constant is the Cid thing.

I didn't mind the movie. It was bad, but the amazing visuals made up for it (Aki's hair took five months alone). If they ever made a movie of FF VII the cast would either be no-bodies, or square would go broke from hiring all of the good actors/actresses.

I thought there was an FF VII movie thread already...

Ah, I forget what that film was about - wasn't it to find this certain number of spirit creatures including some little girl we never saw but heard briefly about(which led to a rather badly executed sentimental scene along the lines of: "The little girl was ready to diiiiiie... Isn't that awful?" - well, duh) and the protagonist. Whose name I also am unable to recount. And the main guy (another nameless face) ended up sacrificing himself at the end. The plot was far too shallow.

Hmm - Final Fantasy is basically my definition of a film that promises everything and delivers absolutely nothing, thereby becoming totally forgettable. I too nodded off, save for the mention of Cid (hehe), and I don't particularly think any level of technological know-how or graphical beauty can quite compensate for such an awful attempt at following up the emotion of that series. Come on, FF7's 3D character models (whilst in gameplay, not during FMV) were cubist and blocky at best, but that was far and away compensated for by the wealth of depth, enjoyable gameplay, action, characterisation and emotion, and no one minded in the least. If this is the Final Fantasy trend, there's no need for flashy graphics - the meat of the story is what we were all looking for. One conclusive phrase concerning that film: could do better.

I would!

But anyway, the thing that put me off seeing The Spirits Within was the way the characters looked. They were well-drawn, yes, but he faces had no emotion on them. They were artificially wooden. You look at something like Shrek, and the characters had so much emotion in them. The ones in TSW looked blank a lot of the time. Granted, I've only seen a few seconds of it, but it reminded me too much of Titan AE, which I didn't like very much because it was just... lacking. The same as with this. Personally, I'd much rather see an animated fantasy movie in the style of FFVII than a CGI one like this. I'm a sucker for anime style, I guess. Not that these were too anti-anime, though (some were well designed, I think), but the game styles are much richer, I think.

I wasn't too fond of the characters either. With the exception of a few characters (Cid, for instance), many of the models came across as stiff and mannequin-like. Also, their hair never seemed to brush in their faces; it was pretty idle. [I]And[/I] the characters didn't shed tears or show physical damage very well.

I'm nitpicking a bit, I know. Overall, the visuals were fantastic. At times I almost forgot that it was computer generated. It's just that some little details reminded me that I wasn't watching real people.

The actual film was [i]pretty good[/i]. I certainly can't complain about the voice actors or the production. But, I kind of feel that the movie baited and mislead its audience a bit. Instead of catering to sci-fi fanatics, it should have been targeted towards fans of the video game series. Meaning, it should have been a fantasy/adventure film.

There was little in the actual story that suggested that I was watching "Final Fantasy." Perhaps if they had integrated more elements from the game, such as chocobos and magic, I would be more content. Also, instead of trying to replicate real people, I'm sure that a more fantastical approach (like the aforementioned Shrek) could have been even more impressive. The portrayal of emotion is more important to me than accurately modeled, albeit, robotic people.

As a sci-fi movie, it did what it had to. The plot was a little convoluted and dry for my tastes though. The big kiss scene [I]really[/i] annoyed the hell out of me.

[spoiler]It didn't make much sense to me why two people would find a moment to rekindle their passion [b]directly[/b] after their friends were massacred. Instead, they should have saved the kiss for when he sacrificed himself for her in the crater. As it stands, the moment seemed too "Hollywood" for my liking.[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
I really did not understand Final Fantasy the sprits within. The way they advertised it I thought it would be interesting,however when I saw it I was bored out of my mind. I am so happy I saw it on cable because I would had gotten upset if I saw it in a theater and did not like it. That would had been a waste of money.(What I just said doesn`t make sense to me.)

It was too life like, the characters didnt look very final fantasy like, they all had normal hair for instance. Final fantasy characters all have crazy spikes and so on. But the effects were great. I enjoyed it all in all but there would be some things I would change, but only minor things.

Nah, I think the effects were waaaaay cool, but the movie itself was a complete let down. In fact, I would've liked to be able to "tell" that they weren't CG if ya know what I mean? Like, more cartoony. Sadly that was not to be. I've only seen it once and never wanna be pressured through it again. (Yes, the storyline sucked too... *pouts*) ^_^ but hey, CG movies still new! *pulls out CG banners* WOO for CG animation! :D

They didnt use magic.
They used stupid monsters.
They didnt even used SWORD's or nayhting like that. stupid monsters? ok. But not sword? AAAAAAAAAH!
[QUOTE]All games are independant. The only thing that remains constant is the Cid thing. [/QUOTE]
But he wasnt in the movie was he?

They just wasted their loades of money at sumfin that couldve been far better ¬_¬

[COLOR=deeppink]I liked the movie the first time through, but I couldn't watch it the second time.

Besides the obvious, what I didn't like about the movie was how [spoiler]almost [i]everybody[/i] died.[/spoiler]. It just felt like they were trying to be dramatatic, but it came off as unnecisary.

Oh, and in the movie, it's "Sid". [/COLOR] ;)

I actually thouth was very Finla Fantasy like.
The story itself can make a very good final fantasy game, plus there were some details that only FF fans could pic on, like Cid the doctor or the resemblance of Aki dreams to many final fantasy game scenes, like part were she dreamt about all destroyed with new vegetable life spurring out... that just looks like the end of final fantasy VII, in the destoryed mako reactors.
Also, there is a great resemblence of cosmo canyon to the land where the meteor falled.
The Gai really looked and sounded like the life stream and i think there was gonna be something that resembled the lunar cry (i forgot, i may be wrong).
So sure, we didnt even saw a chocobo, but i still find it like a very ffish movie.