OtakuBoards

The Yu-Gi-Oh CARD Advice Thread

Shy

I have a question about cards such as Great Maju Garzett, Maju Garzett, and something like Chaos Necromancer. All of their ATKs are indeterminate. Would you be able to search for them with Witch of the Black Forest or Sangan? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you couldn't, but I'm not quite sure.

EDIT: I just had a quick thought. Would Barrel Behind the Door work on the second effect of The Immortal of Thunder?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Magus
[QUOTE=Ben]I have a question about cards such as Great Maju Garzett, Maju Garzett, and something like Chaos Necromancer. All of their ATKs are indeterminate. Would you be able to search for them with Witch of the Black Forest or Sangan? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you couldn't, but I'm not quite sure.

EDIT: I just had a quick thought. Would Barrel Behind the Door work on the second effect of The Immortal of Thunder?[/QUOTE]

You may search for a monster so long as there is a solid number in the stats, so if there were question marks for the atk/def than you would not be able to search for it with Witch, Sangan or Tomato.

As for Immortal of Thunder, according to the newest Netrep file you may not use Barrel Behind the Door to reflect the damage caused from Immortal of Thunder's effect.

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=master max.]does any body know how to get a dark master on the field realy easy?
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :( :o :o :o :o :o :o :o[/QUOTE]

This post's brevity and incredible number of smilies automatically make it qualify as spam. Please review OtakuBoards' rules before writing another reply, and PM me or one of the other moderators if you have any questions or concerns. OB places a strong emphasis on quality and coherency, so you should make sure that each and every one of your posts is well put-together and substantial enough to meet our expectations.

~Dagger~

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]To answer the spammy question, there is no way to get Dark Master-Zorc on the field more quickly than the ritual summons process. Maju of the Ten Thousand Hands and witch of the Black Forest are very good for speed pruposes, though.[/color][/size][/font]

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a couple of questions about Ritual Summoning.

If I were to summon a Ritual Monster by sacrificing Zolga and another card, both from my hand, would Zolga's effect work?

And, if I were to use two monsters (field + field, field + hand, hand + hand) as a Tribute to Ritual Summon a monster, would Precious Cards from Beyond's effect work?

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]The answer to both questions is 'No', because the text on Zolga and PCfB specfically refer to Tribute summonings. No other types of summonings will work. A Ritual Monster's summoning is considered a Ritual Summon, and is also a Special Summon.[/color][/size][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm making a Skill Drain deck, and I'd like to hear the official ruling on it and what effect it has on certain cards. Does anyone know where I could find it? Or if they know it, could someone tell me?

In your opinion, would Jar of Greed be worthwile in a deck of 41+ cards? Would the speed be justified for the space?

One last thing for now, could Lightforce Sword interrupt a card summoning?

For example, your opponent removes a monster from the field to Tribute Summon a monster, could you activate Lightforce Sword to remove the Tribute monster from play at that time?

I only ask because it happened in the show. I wasn't sure if it was just another discrepancy.

EDIT: I just remembered something that happened last week at the tournament.

If my opponent attacks with Spear Dragon, and I activate Magic Cylinder, would Spear Dragon still switch to Defense Position, even though I 'negated' the attack? Or would the negation cause it's effect to be nulled?

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Skill Drain would negate the effects of monsters, but not their costs. Unfriendly Amazon and Armor EXE, for example, have upkeep costs that are needed to keep them on the field; SD wouldn't negate that.

Goblin Attack Force and Zombrya the dark don't have costs, however; they have negative effects to balance out their power. Their effects would be negated, because it's an effect, not a cost.

Jar of Greed is worthwhile in an enviornment where Mystical Space Typhoons, Breaker and Heavy Storm are played by many players. In that event, you can get an opponent to waste one of their trap removal cards by activating Jar in response to their activation. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

The text of Lightforce Sword states:

[QUOTE]Select 1 card [b]at random[/b] from your opponent?s hand.[/QUOTE] So, not only would you be unable to target the monster they're about to summon (unless by chance), but you can't activate traps until after a monster has already been summoned, not in response to tributing for the summon.

So, yeah, Yugi targeting Kaiba's Obelisk before he could summon it was illegal. But Kaiba got him back with his made up effect of Final Attack Orders, so it's okay. ^__^

Magic Cylinder states:

[QUOTE]Negate the attack of 1 of your opponent's monsters and inflict Direct Damage equal to the attacking monster's ATK to your opponent's Life Points.[/QUOTE]

Spear Dragon states:

[QUOTE]When this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Damage Step. [/QUOTE]

However, in your scenario, Spear Dragon never attacked; the Cylinder negated its attack. So, no, it wouldn't go to defense mode after Cylinder's activation.[/color][/size][/font]

Questioning a bit further on Skill Drain; does it negate Flip Effects? And does anybody know where I can get an official ruling; so as to prove to others at the nearby tournament of these facts? We have no moderators who play the game themselves. Just worthless store employees. :p

Thank you, DB, for reminding me of the chainability factor inherent in Jar of Greed. ^_^

Something I just thought of, as I sorted through my cards...

Would a Jinzo negate the effect of Dark Coffin?

Dark Coffin-PGD-047
[Trap Card]

[I]When this face-down card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, your opponent must select and execute 1 of the following effects:

Discard 1 card in his/her hand.

Select 1 Monster on his/her side of the field and destroy it.[/I]

Additionally, could this effect be activated when your opponent has no hand? Or no monsters on the field? If it could, would it force them to take the alternative effect?

Ah, I love asking questions. :p

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Skill Drain negates Flip-effect monsters, because as soon as they're face up, they're succeptable to Skill Drain. And they must be turned face-up to activate their effect. It's a matter of timing.

Yes, Jinzo would negate Dark Coffin, and yes, your opponent can effectivly 'negate' it by choosing an option that wouldn't effect them. Sucks, huh? ^__^ Well, if their hand or field is clear, you're in a good position anyway.[/color][/size][/font]

• 1 month later...
Ok do you really have to wait 4 turns before you can active a trap card?? 2nd How do I get my shining blue eyes dragon on the feild? I have all the cards I think but how do I put them together? Oh and with the filp effect cards can I put 2 filp effect cards down at one time or just one at a time I know I can normal summon and filp summon on the same turn but if I have 3 filps in my hand can I lay all 3 face down on the same turn?

[quote name='Inuyasha311']Ok do you really have to wait 4 turns before you can active a trap card??[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]No o_o; I don't know who told you that, heh. You just can't activate it in the same turn that it was set.[/COLOR]
[QUOTE]2nd How do I get my shining blue eyes dragon on the feild? I have all the cards I think but how do I put them together?[/QUOTE][COLOR=#503F86]Well, the Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon card isn't out in the US yet- you'll have to wait till November or so for it to arrive. When it does, you'll need three Blue Eyes (or two and a Fusion substitute Monster such as King of the Swamp) and Polymerization/Fusion Gate. The three cards need to be on the field and/or in your hand at the same time when you activate Polymerization, at which time those three go to the Graveyard or removed from play, depending which card you have, and you Special Summon BEUD from the Fusion Deck. You can then offer BEUD as a Tribute to summon BESD. Whoo.[/COLOR]
[QUOTE]Oh and with the filp effect cards can I put 2 filp effect cards down at one time or just one at a time I know I can normal summon and filp summon on the same turn but if I have 3 filps in my hand can I lay all 3 face down on the same turn?[/QUOTE][COLOR=#503F86]You can only Set [i]one[/i] card per turn, even if they have flip effects. You can flip more than one if they're already on the field, but a Set counts towards your one Normal Monster Summon per turn.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
About Return from the Different Dimension:

-Can you use it to summon monsters such as ritual monsters, fusion monsters, and monsters that have special summoning requirements even if they haven't been intially summoned?

-If Jinzo is on the field at the end of the turn that Return from the Different Dimension is activated, are the monsters summoned still removed from play?

[COLOR=#503F86]If the monsters were originally summoned correctly, then it's probably the same process as using Monster Reborn. But if a card specifically says 'This card can only be summoned by a Fusion/Ritual/Tribute', then you wouldn't be able to do it. So Dark Paladin would be out of the question, for example.

Do you mean, as if Jinzo was summoned by the effect? Return to the Different Dimension's effect would still be applied, because it reolves when all of the Monsters are summoned. So Jinzo's effect would come into play after that.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86']Do you mean, as if Jinzo was summoned by the effect? Return to the Different Dimension's effect would still be applied, because it reolves when all of the Monsters are summoned. So Jinzo's effect would come into play after that.[/COLOR][/quote]

No, I was asking about the second effect of RFTDD, which says "During the End Phase, remove from play all monsters that were Special Summoned by this effect." So if I use RFTDD to bring Jinzo to the field, or I use it and then either me or my opponent summons Jinzo and the turn ends, would the monsters still be removed from play? Thanks for your help, Solo.

The effect of Return From the Different Dimension would still be applied even though Jinzo was brought back. RFTDD does not remain on the field after it is activated, and so Jinzo's effect would not prevent RFTDD's effect from resolving normally.

• 1 year later...
Whoa! there's a thread all about Yu-Gi -Oh! cards?! THANK YOU!!!!!!

now, onto my question, and this concerns the Sacred Beast Uria, Lord of Searing Flames. I know that it can [B]only[/B] be special summoned by sacrificing three face-up continuous trap cards. and traps [B]can[/B] be activated on your opponents turn. so my question is this- can you activate three continuous traps at once on your opponent's turn and [B]immediately[/B] afterwards, special summon Uria by sacrificing them?

I haven't played in a while, and it's been even longer since I've debated rulings but I took a quick look at the rules just now.

I don't think you can summon Sacred Beast Uria, Lord of Searing Flames on your opponents turn.

Reasoning: I'm pretty sure that Summons, even Special Summons, can only take place during your own Main Phases (either 1 or 2) unless triggered by a Trap/Effect Monster or your opponent's Trap/Magic/Effect Monster. In fact, I don't think you can do anything on your opponents turn unless you're triggered by, or responding to, something your opponent did. (ie. Your opponent summons, Your opponent attacks, etc.)

-r2