OtakuBoards

Zelda: OOT / OOT Master Quest

Semjaza

I suppose I should post some impressions of it before I finish my stupid paper that I keep starting and stopping all day........ :mad:

First of all, the packaging. In Japan, the game came in a crappy little paper sleeve. Everywhere else, it comes in a standard GC case. The boxart is nothing special, but it gets the job done. It comes with a decent sized manual (which is printed in a monotone-ish brown/orange color... not bad looking) and a nice preview book for Wind Waker. It has lots of nice screens and stuff about the new characters.

When you boot the disc up, you get a screen with OoT and Master's Quest. Pressing Z lets you see some DVD perfect videos of Wind Waker, 1080, F-Zero, Wario World and some other stuff. All the while a nice rendition of a Zelda song is played.

I beat OoT twice, so I skipped it and went straight to the Master Quest version. It brings you to a loading screen, and after about 10 seconds the game starts. This is the only loading you'll ever deal with on the disc.

The first thing you'll notice is that the game runs at a much higher resolution than on N64 (think the difference between Turok 2 with and without the expansion, or even playing the game on an emulator on PC). Because of this, and GC's much better antialiasing capabilities the image is very sharp and the lines are very clean.

In a sense this is a double edged sword because sprites in the game simply look awful most of the time. The title screen logo is obviously stretched and looks pixelated. The Hyrule town backgrounds (which were bad enough on N64) are about 10 times worse now. They are horribly blurry and since the characters are so much clearer and sharper, the backgrounds just look that much worse. Thankfully, the font wasn't affected by any of this and still looks clean.

Controls... Well they are obviously changed. L takes the place of Z targeting and it works well enough. It took me a while to get used to this though, because I kept feeling like I was playing N64 and was confusing myself heh. The C-stick takes the place of the C-buttons. You can use X, Y and Z for the C-Buttons instead though (although C-Up is always on the stick).

The game is basically emulated/ported perfectly. There is only one problem with the port, which is when you press start to go to the menus. There is a slight pause, which after awhile gets rather annoying. Many people have mentioned the fact that you must change boots in the Water Temple near constantly... Which will suck.

I don't know why that's a problem, as the entire game seems to be in the GC's RAM. I've noticed emulators also pause when they get try to access the game's menus (the blur part seems to be what gets it stuck), so maybe it just cannot be emulated well.

Other than that, the framerate is improved. Hyrule Field no longer stutters along and runs perfectly. It seems to be locked at 30 FPS now.

As for the Master Quest differences... Everything is the same except the dungeons. Many puzzles are changes and things have to be done totally different ways. There are far more enemies, they seem to be smarter... and most take more hits to kill. The Deku Tree is almost totally overrun with Gohma Larvae, which in OoT barely even make an appearance.

Anyway, for something that's free... this is very kickass. I encourage everyone to preorder so they can grab a copy. You can just go to Best Buy and grab this from the games section. You pay $15 now, and then when WW comes out you show them the receipt and pay the remaining $35.

[color=indigo]Booyah! Ocarina of Time Master Quest (my abbreviation is OMQ, so people know, heh) is way better than the original! (At least so far, anyway, in the dungeons; it's exactly the same out of the dungeons, as Semjaza said). I can't wait till tomorrow, when I'll have time to go through the Dodongo's Cavern!

Like Semjaza mentioned, Inside the Great Deku Tree is overrun by Gohma Larvae in OMQ, whereas there were only three thoughout the whole dungeon in OOT. (Besides the ones Gohma drops during the boss fight). Also, there are Giant Deku Babas, which didn't show up in OOT till you go to Kokiri Forest as an adult. Very fun to fight one of those in a little room with four Gohma Larvae. :toothy:

The puzzles are also pretty much completely different, all the way down to how you get rid of that spiderweb in the floor of the first room. I can't wait to see how they've changed some of the later, more complicated dungeons. It's going to be almost like playing through the dungeons for the first time, if they're as different as the first one. ^_^

You really should pre-order The Wind Waker, just so you can get this disc. Even if you've played OOT before, OMQ is worth it by itself. I mean, hey, you might as well, since it's free. (I even got a free OOT player's guide at GameStop with the disc, though it's just the old Prima guide and doesn't cover OMQ).

And by the way, I thought this'd go better in its own thread, since it's not really about The Wind Waker, but about OMQ. So, I split off your post into this thread. :)[/color]

[color=indigo]I've noticed a frame skip here or there, but it's only happened about three times, when I'm coming into Hyrule Field from somewhere else. Other than that, I haven't seen any slowdown or anything else. Certainly nothing worse than the original. (Well, besides the little pause when you go into the subscreens, but I've gotten used to that).[/color]

[COLOR=003399]i've been reading a bit about it lately, and i think i found a pic of the box... I was gonna ask 'sko about it (being the uber zelda freak he is) but i never got around to it...

[size=1]not that this is all important or anything...[/size][/COLOR]

Yeah, that's the box... That's been the design of it for a really long time, and I think most anyone knows it here by now heh.

As for people living in Europe, you won't get this for preordering.

Instead, NoE will be making special 2-disc sets for a limited time that have Wind Waker and the OoT disc in them. Not so bad.

Picked up my copy of the game and so far I am enjoying it just as much as I did when it was first released. Definitely worth the little bit of extra money. Ocarina of Time has to be one of the best Zelda games out there. It never gets boring, and this is my fourth time playing it full through.

I was kind of wondering whether or not I should get this. In one hand, I only have enough money for one game (exactly 53 dollars) which I was originally saving for Super Smash Bros Melee. On the other, my brother does have a little money, so we could use that to preorder it, and also...I don't own the N64 versions of Zelda, nor have a played much of it at all. I was originally going to preorder it before I got a GC, hoping I would get it in the future...

When I got a GC recently, I was going to just skip over the game. My neighbor has the game (N64 and GC), so it's not a big deal to borrow it; but he also has Melee. But now that I have heard so many opinions on this, and because of all the hype, I think I will get it. Hey, it's free, and it's only a limited time. I'll get back to you when I get it. :)

EDIT: This may be a bit off-topic, but I can't really find Melee...anywhere. I'm talking a whole lot of electronic stores including Electronic Beautique. *shrug* I suppose it's not even worth it to wait to get Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I should just go for the Zelda pre-order.

[color=indigo]Yes, reserve The Wind Waker and get the pre-order bonus disc! Ocarina of Time is one of the best Zelda games so far, and Master Quest if even better, especially if you've played the original OOT before. That way, you're expecting it to be one way, but then it's different, and it really makes you think about new ways to do things in the dungeons.

Heck, I've been thinking about going back and playing the original OOT on the disc, after I finish OOT Master Quest, just because of how different Master Quest is in the dungeons and because I haven't played the original very much in a long time. If you play through both games, you're going to get a lot of time out of the disc... And then you get The Wind Waker, too! It's like getting three games for the price of one! *bounces off the walls and explodes from the exitement*

*cough* Um, yes, well... Have you tried Best Buy, while looking for SSBM? They seem like they usually have a pretty good selection of GCN games. That, and GameStop/Software Etc. Melee really is a great game, especially if you have friends to play multi-player with. Personally, though, I'd reserve The Wind Waker and get the bonus disc.

Oh, and something you might consider... When you reserve a game, you can usually wait a couple months after it's been released, before the reservation expires. You might just put down the deposit to reserve The Wind Waker (it's only $5 at most GameStop stores), so you can get the bonus disc, and then buy SSBM, also. Then just don't pick up The Wind Waker until you have the money. And, even if the reservation does expire, you'd only end up paying about $5 for the bonus disc anyway.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Yes, reserve The Wind Waker and get the pre-order bonus disc! Ocarina of Time is one of the best Zelda games so far, and Master Quest if even better, especially if you've played the original OOT before. That way, you're expecting it to be one way, but then it's different, and it really makes you think about new ways to do things in the dungeons.

Heck, I've been thinking about going back and playing the original OOT on the disc, after I finish OOT Master Quest, just because of how different Master Quest is in the dungeons and because I haven't played the original very much in a long time. If you play through both games, you're going to get a lot of time out of the disc... And then you get The Wind Waker, too! It's like getting three games for the price of one! *bounces off the walls and explodes from the exitement*

*cough* Um, yes, well... Have you tried Best Buy, while looking for SSBM? They seem like they usually have a pretty good selection of GCN games. That, and GameStop/Software Etc. Melee really is a great game, especially if you have friends to play multi-player with. Personally, though, I'd reserve The Wind Waker and get the bonus disc.

Oh, and something you might consider... When you reserve a game, you can usually wait a couple months after it's been released, before the reservation expires. You might just put down the deposit to reserve The Wind Waker (it's only $5 at most GameStop stores), so you can get the bonus disc, and then buy SSBM, also. Then just don't pick up The Wind Waker until you have the money. And, even if the reservation does expire, you'd only end up paying about $5 for the bonus disc anyway.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice. ^_^ I'm planning to pick up the reservation tonight, along with my friend's since he gave me 15 dollars today. I havn't asked any stores though, so I'm not sure which ones would be sold out.

As for Melee, I have learned that they have aparently taken Melee off the shelves so that when they put it back, it will be down to $30 after a price drop. So, taking this into account along with the fact that my neighbor owns Melee, I've decided to fully go for the pre-order. Time only encourages this decision. :devil:

EDIT: Unfortunately, last night no store in my area had the pre-order CDs. This morning, however, they cancelled schools because of snow, and after I shoveled my drive way, I found some on my first call. At Walmart, they had 5, so I told them to hold two, and I recently went up there to get them. During the wait, however, my friend wanted me to get [i]another[/i] copy for our friend, but when I got there, it was just my games that remained. Good thing they didn't have another, though, since I just learned that my friend who I was going to buy another for got one today. Phew, so anyway, I now have the disk and the pre-order, and it was only a $10 downpayment. :) Me = happy.

I was happy that the day afer they started the preorder I call my almost local Wal-Mart and found out that they had four, so I had them hold one for me. When I got there about 2 hours later it was the only one they had left.

I was very happy when I got the game. I had a friend who bought OoT and I "traded" games with him a little over a year ago. So I brought him his game back because I got it on GC. I must say that OMQ (using your abreviation Desbreko :) ) is quite hard. I played OoT 4 or 5 times though, but then I am having trouble with OMQ. The Fire Temple took me 30 min. because I couldn't find a unlit torch(Could that be considered a spoiler?). Now I am in the Water Temple, and I just need to find the boss key.

[color=indigo]Yeah, OMQ is harder (I like it, the original OOT was too easy). I'm also in the Water Temple, actually, though I've just gotten into it. (Only gotten one Small Key so far). I'm sick, though, so I haven't been playing much for the last few days. I can't wait to fight Dark Link, though. That's my favorite fight in the whole game, because you actually get to sword fight with an opponent that's actually hard to beat.[/color]

[color=indigo]Dude, that sucks. Master Quest is awesome, it'd be a real shame to miss it. (I just beat the Water Temple, which I think is a [i]whole[/i] lot better in OMQ than in OOT).

Try a different store, or see if some place online still has a copy. Hopefully somewhere will still have one left.[/color]

[color=teal]Damnit......my best friend just beat the Water Temple right in front of me, bragging about his fight with Dark Link, and I completely went nuts. I have to go to Babbages or Best Buy........I NEED THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color]

• 2 weeks later...
I finally took a break from Animal Crossing to play this. And guess what? It's...well, not hard, persay, but it is definitely different from the original, and enjoyably so. (Sorry, Etarah's Maverick.)

I have the same complaint about the saving time, the loading time, and the general controls, but that's nitpick stuff.

When I first started, I chuckled meanly how everything seemed the same. Get the shield, get the sword, go see the Deku Tree, la la la.
Then I entered the Deku Tree.

:eek:

Now see, [i]this[/i] is what I consider a cursed tree. Lots more baby Gohmas running around makes sense. Keese coming out of nowhere. And everything's been moved! The Golden Skulltulas, the Slingshot, everything! *is beyond happy*

You those times when you wish you could play a great game over again for the first time? Yeah...

[color=009966]Yeah, it's really cool. I haven't played the original version though, so I only know the GC version, and it's awesome! ^__^ I'm only on the Forest Temple, but I've seen my brother play and beat the game so I know what's going to happen later on. Now if only they could make the other games for the GC...[/color]

[color=red] I would have to say that Master Quest is a lot more challenging than OoT. The dungeons sre a lot better. Some puzzles may take a minute to figure out but end up being easy to solve if you know what to do. This game is a great challenge.[/color]

I :love: this game!!! ^_______^

I've noticed a few things other than the overhauled dungeons, namely the items being a lot more shinier (the masks and the heart/heart pieces in particular), and the music changing slightly. The details are more clearer on the characters, and there isn't as much "polygon shifting" as on the first one.

*gush gush gush*

Still the qualms with the pausing and saving, but nothing that can overtake my re-found love for this game.