DuoMax Posted February 24, 2003 Posted February 24, 2003 I want to know what the best non anime japanese film you've seen is. For me its either [i]The Seven Samurai[/i] or one i saw recently called "The Forty-seven Loyal Samurai"
KrypToniK Posted February 24, 2003 Posted February 24, 2003 Japenese, I don't know. But my favorite 'Asian' film is probaly Shaolin Soccer. Very funny, too.
Outlaw Posted February 24, 2003 Posted February 24, 2003 I was a major fan of "Drunken Master" myself. Chan's drunken boxing is amazing.
Lady Macaiodh Posted February 24, 2003 Posted February 24, 2003 [color=darkblue]I've always got a big kick out of those stupid old ones with godzilla & stuff. They were just soooo terrible.... & yet good. Adam knows what I mean.[/color]
Transtic Nerve Posted February 24, 2003 Posted February 24, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Outlaw [/i] [B]I was a major fan of "Drunken Master" myself. Chan's drunken boxing is amazing. [/B][/QUOTE] Thats Chinese. I like the Gojira movies.
Jinzouningen17 Posted February 24, 2003 Posted February 24, 2003 I'm a big fan of those old school Bruce Lee movies(I cant remember if this is Japanese or Chinese though. Its been a while since I last seen em). And a good bit of those other old school kung-fu movies aswell. Sure, it gets annoyin watchin those dubs(I HATE watchin someones mouth move and then 10 minutes later, the words come out. :rolleyes: ), but the action is lovely. Sometimes its funny watchin those dubs, but then it gets annoying. Gotta try to ignore that, ya know. :D
Outlaw Posted February 25, 2003 Posted February 25, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i] [B]Thats Chinese. I like the Gojira movies. [/B][/QUOTE] Really, my bad. Still a good movie though. Sorry to offend anyone, I know that allot of oriental people are annoyed when someone mixes up Japan, China, and all other oriental nations. I gotta agree with Lady Macaiodh, those old Godzilla movies and junk are hilarious, although hilarity through crapiness can only last for so long.
Nightwing Posted February 25, 2003 Posted February 25, 2003 Any flim that has Donnie Yen in it is my Fav. And every Bruce Lee flim to but he's not ***...
BlueGender Posted February 25, 2003 Posted February 25, 2003 [size=1][color=blue]My favorite Japanese film is the original version of The Ring,I haven't seen the American version yet but I thought the Japanese movie is one of the best movie's of all time. I am a huge Bruce Lee fan also, I believe he is Chinise though since in most of his movie's he plays a Chinise person. My favorite Bruce Lee film is Fist of Fury.[/color][/size]
Semjaza Posted February 25, 2003 Posted February 25, 2003 The best one is Kurosawa's "Rashomon" and "Seven Samurai." I think everyone should see those, regardless of their age at this point. I thought the original Godzilla was pretty kickass... Both the original and the US version with Raymond Burr. Godzilla Vs. Biolante was pretty good too. I've probably seen a lot of non-Godilla Japanese films, but those are the ones that come to mind.
conpiracymonki Posted February 25, 2003 Posted February 25, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Nightwing [/i] [B]Any film that has Donnie Yen in it is my Fav. And every Bruce Lee flim too but he's not ***... [/B][/QUOTE][b][size=1]If I knew you in real life, I'd shake your hand ^_^[/b] Oh, and J-17... Bruce Lee's Chinese =)[/size]
OlgaTheDwarf Posted February 27, 2003 Posted February 27, 2003 I saw the movie "Shall We Dance", it was pretty good.
Jinzouningen17 Posted February 27, 2003 Posted February 27, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AJeh [/i] [B]Oh, and J-17... Bruce Lee's Chinese =)[/size] [/B][/QUOTE] Thank ya. ^_^ Also, on the subject of Kurosawa movies(its weird that this subject got brought up because someone came into Blockbuster last night lookin for some of his movies. Weird. :D), this guy talked to me last night about a movie called "Yojimbo". Is that one any good. And from what he told me(and from what yall have said), I'm definetly gonna have to check out that "Seven Samurai". If only there was a way that I could get ahold of it because Blockbuster doesnt carry it, and the company we order movies from doesnt carry it. :( Hopefully they'll show it on Encore Action(they do show a few subtitled Japanese, and other country movies). Maybe I'll get lucky. :D
Sarasan Posted February 28, 2003 Posted February 28, 2003 I liked Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai," it was cool.
Harry Posted February 28, 2003 Posted February 28, 2003 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i] [B][color=darkblue]I've always got a big kick out of those stupid old ones with godzilla & stuff. They were just soooo terrible.... & yet good.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] There was a Godzilla marathon a couple of months ago, it was good fun.
Kent Posted February 28, 2003 Posted February 28, 2003 Seven Samurai. Otherwise I dont know too many. I will mention a great movie that is chinesse. I dont really remember the name exactly but... "iron and silk" Its really cool and its about an american who goes to china to teach, but ends up getting into kung fu. This and love change his life while he is there. I strongly suggest it.
G.D. Ryoko Posted March 1, 2003 Posted March 1, 2003 I liked the Godzilla movies. It just looks so funny. In one of the dub versions I saw, this lady was talking about how Tokyo was in danger but she was ... smiling... I found that really weird. I also like that movie Tokyo Raiders. Now that was a good movie. I loved everything about it especially the mafia. Anyone else seen it ?
tabmow Posted March 6, 2003 Posted March 6, 2003 I like the Godzilla movies, but I recently saw a japanese romantic comedy (I forget the name) but the plot was basically this. A guy who drives for a car service crashes in a yakuza group's car, the mobsters take him to a book making operation ( gambeling not reading) The office accidently blows up and while being transported to a hospital he get a briefcase full of money, at the hospital he meets a nurse and they run off with the money with the mobsters folloing them. It was a very good movies not the typical anime , karate, or giant monster fare. While not strictly a Japanese Production ,but a joint U.S. Japanese Movie "Tora Tora Tora" is still on of the best WWII movies ever made. There is another movie called "Zero" that tell about WWII from the point of view of some Japanese Pilots and aircrew.
Yu Law Posted March 6, 2003 Posted March 6, 2003 GEN_X COPS and TOKYO RAIDERS!!!! Oh yeah bad bad movies but in a good way don't know if Gen X cops is japanese but Ikow TOKYO RAIDERS IS!!! the leader looks fantastic just lie the other girls blah um...I'm gonna sut up.
G.D. Ryoko Posted March 6, 2003 Posted March 6, 2003 I never heard of GEN_X COPS but I love Tokyo Raiders. I love that movie so much. I laugh through most of the movie. My favorite character is that mafia guy. I can`t remember his name though.
Angelus_Necare Posted March 8, 2003 Posted March 8, 2003 The japanese version of the ring was called ringu, and I think it was made about ten years ago if I'm not mistaken. I had watched it before I ever saw the ring and kept wondering why the plot was so familiar when I finaly went to the movies to see it. Another one of my favorites was a movie based off of a shakesperian play, I'll be damned if I could remember the name of the play or the name of the movie right now...
Yu Law Posted March 9, 2003 Posted March 9, 2003 man just watched Tokyo raiders again FANTASTIC!!! MARVELOUS!!! AMAZING!!! G.D. Ryoko AND i GIVE IT TWO THUMBS UP LOL
Change Posted March 9, 2003 Posted March 9, 2003 I here that Battle Royal is good. 45 Japanese Schoolchildren fight to the death on a desert island.
Dragonstar Posted March 10, 2003 Posted March 10, 2003 :D I saw most of The Seven Samurai a looooooong time ago (ITV Digital was still around) BBC Knowledge (i think) did a Kurosawa season. It was pretty good too, but I doodle while I watch TV so I kinda got a little lost :whoops: I may manage to concentrate on it now though, scince I've picked up an interest in learning Japanese...:D
G.D. Ryoko Posted March 10, 2003 Posted March 10, 2003 Yeah! I don`t know why but I just love Tokyo Raiders. I even made my brother record it for me. However I am sad. I use to get this channel in which I could watchmany Japanese movies but now I don`t get it anymore and they have a lot of interesting movies comming on.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now