OtakuBoards

Shoot me if this goes against the grain...

Chaos

...but I really need some help. I've played Vice City, Tekken 3, and MOA: Frontline to death. So I'm going to sell them/trade them in. Here lies the problem; what do I get? There's always SOCOM, but then that's 50 bucks at EB. I'm thinking of getting a shooter, or a long action-adventure game. And if I can get it cheap, maybe a racing game.

Suggestions and hints would be helpful [as they are the point of this topic].

Also, a strange thing. You know where you start up your PS2, and it has those transparent boxes floating around? Well, for mine, the boxes are translucent, and you can barely see through them. Can anyone offer any help with this, as it annoys the piss out of me.

well i don't know about prices cause dad buys most of mine but i'll try.

racing games:the best ever racing game for ps2 in my opinion is [i]star wars pod racing revenge[/i],it's bee out for a while too so isn't expensive.

adventure game:wow,[i]Kingdom Hearts[/i]is good along with cheap wise [i]Dark Cloud[/i] and not so cheap [i]Dark Cloud 2[/i].Plus there is always [i]Dvil May Cry[/i] or [i]Devil May Cry2[/i].

f.p.s.:don't buy many first person shooters for ps2 sept [i]SOCOM[/i].Maybe [i]Medal of Honor[/i]?

hope this helps!

FPS:Red Faction 2, or Timesplitters 2, both are pretty good, don't know if their cheap but there the best out there I would say.
Adventure: well if ya want cheap ya can always get DMC or DMC2, and if ya havn't played MGS2 then I would recomend that.
racing: GT3, but I don't know much bout the racing genre for PS2.

Well, I'm turning IN Medal of Honor, and I've beaten AA on my friend's PC, so that's out. Same with GTA3. But I'm thinking about getting MGS2 Substance, or DMC2.

Ugh. Kingdom Hearts? *stabs the Disneyspawn*

Guest Musahi
Well from what I have heard DMC II isn't even worth a rent.

MGS2 : Substance on the other hand is great. It's MGS2 which is great period, with hours of extra stuff. The extra VR missions range from a good half hour to 30 seconds.

I would go with Dead To Rights personally. I just rented it and I am on the 7th mission. Everything that was missing with Max Payne is here. I am going to create a thread on it pretty soon though. That will have some more detailed impressions.

As for the FPS, the only FPS I have played on the PS2 worth looking at is the first Red Faction. It'll take around 30 hours to finish. But you will just want to keep playing.

Hope I helped you. ;)

[color=crimson]He's played Red Faction.

I reccomend, if you want a bloody RPG, Xenosaga.

FPS? Most likely Battle Engine Aquila or Red Faction 2.

Adventure? Kingdom Hearts [sucks]. ;P I say ICO, its cheap too.

More turn based RPG, FF-esque? Suikoden 3.

Real Time, Action RPG? Dark Cloud 2

Just beat them up action? Dynasty Warriors.[/color]

Don't bother with Devil May Cry 2. It's horrible. They completely screwed that game up, so I'd get the first Devil May Cry if you haven't all ready played it.

Red Faction 2 is great, and has tons of unlockables. So there's a good amount of replay value there, however the game is fairly short. But it's still great nonetheless.

Kingdom Hearts was an average/mediocre game, that's it. It was way too short, and far too easy. The only thing that even made the game worth my time was the addition of [spoiler]Sephiroth[/spoiler] as a special Coliseum boss battle.

Racing? I haven't been much of a racing game fan. But Gran Turismo has always been the best. So I'd get that if you want a racing game.

Fighting games, hands down there are a few really great ones. You want the best there's Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, an awesome game. Dead or Alive 2-Hardcore, always a great game. Finally, the king of all 2D, and possible all fighting games in general, Guilty Gear X2. That's has got to be one of the best fighting games [b]ever[/b], if not the best.

That's all I got for now.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I will say flat out...

Racing games: Gran Turismo 3

Its the best racing game made to date and that is that.

If your not into the simulation racing games, go with something like need for speed hot pursuit 2.

Its a good game but its no gt3.

I am thinking that I am going to start openly calling myself the authority on gt3 here at the otaku.

so if you've got a question about that game, hit me up.

Also, if you want a fps... just give up the ghost.

The ps2 rarly makes a good fps.

I am biased on that issue though.

I also want to mention that gt3 is gonna cost you not too much as it is getting old... plus in 2004, gt4 will be here.

So if you want a racer, do the gt3... its totally worth it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Vampire: Ed [/i]
[B]Don't bother with Devil May Cry 2. It's horrible. They completely screwed that game up, so I'd get the first Devil May Cry if you haven't all ready played it.[/B][/QUOTE]

Really? I have played them both and I quite enjoyed 2. What did they do wrong in your opinion?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NeoCactuar [/i]
[B]Really? I have played them both and I quite enjoyed 2. What did they do wrong in your opinion? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=green]I've got to agree with NeoCactuar, I have played both, and enjoyed them equally. I consider DMC to be a little harder, and DM2 to be more free. I think they they both have good storylines, characters, and moves. Tell me, what did they do you screw up DMC2?[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#808080]I haven't played DMC2, but the entire gaming media has totally canned it.

However, I also felt that the gaming media largely praised DMC far too much; it wasn't as good as was made out. It [i]was[/i] good. But it wasn't [i]brilliant[/i] or anything, in my opinion.

Still, I'm steering clear of DMC2. I don't want to spend my money unless I'm getting a really good game (especially with school costs eating into my wallet these days).

As far as recommendations...well, I haven't bought a PS2 game in a while. I've been wrapped up in Metroid Prime too much to care about anything other than eating, sleeping and hygiene. o_O

But anyway. TimeSplitters 2 is a pretty nice game. It's amazingly similar to Goldeneye (far moreso than I thought...even the bullet holes are the same), which actually makes it feel somewhat old and dated. Even the visuals are like Goldeneye, but cleaner...which means that everything has quite a uniform/basic look, yet is very clean. Hard to describe unless you play it. But certainly, it's a great game if you like FPSs.

For adventure, I'd have to recommend ICO. It's really a wonderful little game. It deserves to be noticed. ^_^[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NeoCactuar [/i]
[B]Really? I have played them both and I quite enjoyed 2. What did they do wrong in your opinion? [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, I would have replied sooner but I haven't really been paying attention to this post. I actually forgot I posted in here. lol

Anyway, DMC2 is far worse than the first one for several reasons. First of all they basically removed all of Dante's personality, he rarely says anything sarcastic or funny like he did in DMC. Also the camera angles were another very bad part of the game, as well were most of the environments. The environments were blown up and made big, and while larger areas seem better there was usually nothing going on. Most of the time you had to run through the gigantic areas where there were no enemies to battle. Also the camera angles were at their worse in these moments because it seemed like you were watching from space, well not that far...but pretty far. So there were some very boring moments during the times you have to run around in those large areas. Also most of the bosses seemed so generic, and didn't seem very special. Especially since Dante doesn't have any verbal interaction with most of them before his battle like he did in DMC, so it was far less entertaining in that sense.

The only real good parts about this game were it's graphics, and the added techniques at Dante's disposal. I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I really don't think this game was any where near as good as the first.

Yeah, now i think about it, i do agree with those points.

Some of those camera angles, especially in the opening scene/act were very poorly designed. They were trying to recreate a movie type feel with more camera angles and innovative camera angles, as many games today are trying. But, unfortunately failed miserably. They instead confused the gamer, and took away from the game play and made people focus on the annoyances, what every game programmer wants to avoid.

On the note of the Dantes personality, i didn?t really notice or mind the lack of conversation, and although i don't think it decreased any aspect of the game i admit a little more would have been better.

And the larger areas, yes i did notice this, and i was severely disappointed and annoyed. The promise of bigger and better in a sequel is great, except when by bigger they mean a giant empty room. This situation was all to common, large paths, halls and outdoor areas that had no real use apart from running through them. I often found myself wasting a devil trigger in order to just try and run through an area quicker.

• 4 weeks later...
The only bad thing about DMC2 IMO is the difficulty. I know some people don't like games to hard but your lucky if you die doing the DMD modes in this one unless you do the secret missions they get hard. Other than that I really enjoyed it heck I enjoyed it enough to make it to level 9999 in the Bloody Palace.

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Vampire: Ed [/i]
[B]

Kingdom Hearts was an average/mediocre game, that's it. It was way too short, and far too easy. The only thing that even made the game worth my time was the addition of [spoiler]Sephiroth[/spoiler] as a special Coliseum boss battle.
be one of the best fighting games [b]ever[/b], if not the best.
Racing? I haven't been much of a racing game fan. But Gran Turismo has always been the best. So I'd get that if you want a racing game.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Am I the only person who found KH amazing. As for the shortness, WTF!, there is 65 hours (and counting) on my clock, which even though RPG's can do much better it is still Freakin long.

GET KINGDOM HEARTS.