OtakuBoards

Two people only RPG's?

Guest cloricus

Guest cloricus
There has started to be a few two people only RPG's in the RPG section. Most of them started by either Harlequin, Ravenstorture or Raiha.

I'm just wondering why they should be on the boards, this sort of rpg should and could easily take place in an PBE (play by email) system. Why does it need to be here if they have decided to cut out any one else from joining. It?s unfair to other users.

If it's just for the point of showing off the participants writing skills why don't they just PBE and when their finished post it in the story forum.

What do other people think?

[size=1]Actually, Cloricus, I believe they were started because they became too big to be considered sparring.

"If you wanted, Harlequin, an RPG, then that's what you should have made."

Personally, I don't mind it that much. It isn't affecting me, and it isn't insulting anybody.[/size]

Guest cloricus
*Penguin gets up, walks over to Mnemolths PC. Pulls out a nail file, sharpens beak. Walks over to the phone line, chops. Walks away.* :P (If you have cable replace the right words.)

You were asking for it...

Eps - Ceh! Dual desktop. :P

[font=gothic][color=crimson]Hmmm. I'm certain the fact that Raven and I are the main participants in two player rpgs had [i]nothing[/i] to do with the fact that Cloricus doesn't like them.

We don't use a PBE system because it gets inconvenient very fast. These things get very long, and storage and whatnot is a pain in the ***. It's much easier to do over a thread. As for cutting out other users...Go take a look at most of the rpgs in the forum right now, and you'll find something along the lines of "The people chosen to participate are:", and there's never been a problem with that. If people really want to rp with Raiha, Raven or I, then they can go to the effort of starting a decent enough story that we sign up.

If James, Charles or any of the moderators believe our two player rpgs would be more appropriate in the Literature section, then they can be moved. Doesn't really matter which forum they're in to me.

And yes La, the one between Raiha and I did come about because our "Oh why not" spar became a little unsparlike, both in size and content.[/font][/color]

Personally, I don't mind 2 person rpgs - it's just an rpg with fewer participants than usual. I know I'm doing a PBPM (heh play by private message ^_^) one now, but I considered bringing it out onto the boards to begin with.

And we have the Battle Arena, which more often than not, only consists of 2 people... if you stick by your first point then [i]those spars[/i] should be PBEM too...

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]The reason I started this last one was because I like writing, but writing on my own seems to burn out a lot faster than writing with another. Too many people and the storyline twists out of my grasp. With one other person, we can correspond, plan, edit, and generally work together to produce a really quality piece of writing. [/font][/color]

Guest cloricus
Harlequin, lets get over your ego here, I think they are incredibly good. That's why I suggested that when you finish them that you put them in the story section. Also I have no wish to join, my writing and imagination is no where near good enough to even try.

PBE and PBPM are both easy and simple way of doing it, just a suggestion asking what other people think. (/me ignores TN)

Eps - Your life.

Oh, I see a war going on here... Damn, now I feel like left out... :p

But I can understand both Cloricus's AND Harlequin/Ravenstorture/Raiha's point:

Two-player-RPGs are a bit strange idea, because RPGs are meant as a group activity. And if people who know each other that well come HERE, in front of hundreds of other peoples, to do THAT, it seems a bit unfair. Like "We don't want to play with anybody else"-isolation-thingy. And Cloricus is right, it seems like you are just showing off. If you know each other personally, isn't it much more social to do that in home, facing each other? :smirk:

BUT on the other hand, why should anybody be bothered what two people do in one thread. Who needs to go to that thread? Besides, you can always start a similar one with YOUR best buddy, aye?

So, I see that there's no other solution to this issue than to just let it go!

PS. I'm totally against bullying, and I sincerely hope that this "war against one person" is just one big joke, although it doesn't seem like that. :therock: If it's not, then I hope that the staff will intervene with that. *falls deep to his memories of elementary school-bullies*

PPS. Didn't I just sound mature or what? :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sage [/i]
[B]Two-player-RPGs are a bit strange idea, because RPGs are meant as a group activity. And if people who know each other that well come HERE, in front of hundreds of other peoples, to do THAT, it seems a bit unfair. Like "We don't want to play with anybody else"-isolation-thingy. And Cloricus is right, it seems like you are just showing off. If you know each other personally, isn't it much more social to do that in home, facing each other? :smirk:[/b][/quote]

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]I see your point, and it's a good one, but there is no way that would ever happen. Writing happens on the computer, only, and when you're with someone else it seems silly to do something like that when you're going to be doing it later on the net anyway. That's our case.[/font][/color]
[quote][b]
BUT on the other hand, why should anybody be bothered what two people do in one thread. Who needs to go to that thread? Besides, you can always start a similar one with YOUR best buddy, aye? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]I'm sorry it seems like that, but it's not. I'm not writing just for my own gratification, I'm putting it up for everyone else as well. And if that seems stupid, I must be the only person here who reads RPGs I'm not involved in simply for the interest of the story. As Harlequin said, if it needs to be moved to the lit thread, move it by all means. I don't see RPGs as a game so much as another effective method of creative writing.[/font][/color]

[color=#808080]As I said before, an RPG involves more than one person. It could be two or it could be two hundred. It's totally and utterly irrelevant.

Adventure Arena is a totally open and free place. You can create your own RPG and you can control how it operates to whatever extent you like. If you simply want to roleplay with one other person, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to. And if you want to roleplay with dozens of people, that's fine too.

I tend to find that this complaint is similar to the complaints about depressing threads in Otaku Lounge. People complain about it, but don't provide any sort of solution, other than to say something like "Oh, we shouldn't allow that". Honestly, if you see something you disagree with, you have two options:

1) Ignore it

2) Make your own thread

It's as simple as that. I understand that this is probably more of a general discussion about what is appropriate in Adventure Arena, but it's very difficult to start telling people that they [i]must[/i] include a minimum number of players and such. I mean, you could expand on that and tell people that they can only cover a limited amount of subjects in their stories. I think the whole point of Adventure Arena is to allow for maximum creativity and fun -- however that occurs. Obviously everyone will have different tastes (in terms of numbers of players and subject of story).

I still think that this is a totally moot point and a non-issue.[/color]