OtakuBoards

Grammar

Patronus

[size=1][COLOR=darkblue]Well, I think it is really annoying when people don't use periods or proper grammar...Like when people talk like this:

i think we think yous should make a two suggestion don't you? i like this movie it is my fav

I think that using proper grammar and punctuation should be part of the rules...

-Logan[/color][/size]

[color=002E55]I really don't think this is something that can be forced on members using the rules. Good grammar and spelling, etc. is encouraged at OtakuBoards but forcing it on people who just can't for whatever reason wouldn't be fair.

OtakuBoards has a very diverse community, and some members just don't have good spelling/grammar and so forth. That can't necessarily be forced upon them. Sure, the really bad stuff is asked to be cleaned up (eg. hay u, tht flim sux0red, rofl!!11), but that's mainly because it's virtually incomprehensible.[/color]

I think it's a bit much to expect this. You can't force people to write certain ways... by that standard a good deal of the people here would be gone by now.

If it's easily readable I don't mind. I don't care if people don't use caps or abbreviatons (within reason - I see no problem with fav, but u is always annoying), as long as there is a good amount of punctuation and everything else.

I think there is a line between encouraging good post quality and simply being too strict.

Of course, that doesn't mean I like seeing "ya u like it 2? coofee rulezzz1!!" However, I think forcing the way I, or some others type, on here is a bit much.

[FONT=century gothic][SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]Well I remember somwhere it saying that you should try not to use the slang version because people get confused. But that doesn't mean that they have to do it. I used to type like that, but it does get quite annoying. I don't think it should be part of the rules, just maybe reinforced a little bit more. [/COLOR] [/SIZE] [/FONT]

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]I belive it's mentioned somewhere that posts should be as clear as possible. However, as was mentioned before, this can't be forced. Some members just can't use correct grammar, either because they choose not to or they don't know how.

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#808080]Our rules do state that posts should be coherent. But moreover, we expect people to make an effort.

Generally, we don't expect [i]perfect[/i] English and such. If we did, a lot of people wouldn't be here (as Semjaza pointed out). However, sometimes people post poorly (lack of punctuation/grammar/etc) simply because they're lazy. And they refuse any suggestion to improve their post quality -- or at least to post with more effort.

I've noticed that a lot of people who start out with poor posting quality end up posting very well within a couple of months. That is, people who actually stick with it rather than give up. And I've spoken to some of those people over AIM - they seem to be pleased that OB encouraged them to improve on their English. So I don't think it's a [i]bad[/i] thing to encourage better posting quality all-round.[/color]

I think it's the WWW that is doing it to them (=the people who don't use punctuation or real words :p ). Most of the forums in other sites are like chatrooms - people go there, scribble something, and soembody answers them with a similar kind of scribble. When these people come HERE, they think "Oh what the heck, this is one of those forums, I'm not in an English lesson". So basically, I think they use that sort of writing because they think they HAVE to, like they aren't COOL in other ways, or something. Teenagers are like that - they want to belong. But, like James said, soon many of them notice that it's the opposite way that gives you respect in this forum. :)

I think in some other forums they would definately think us as some kind of geeks (or English teachers ;) ), if we would go there and write in the manner we do.

I don't think there has to be anymore "inforcements" on using grammar - people will get used to it when they see that everybody else is writing that way. It's the same with dialects: if you spent few weeks in another place, you will come back speaking their style.

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Well, good grammar is beneficial if you want to sound intellegent in your posts. oo;

Personally, I don't take posts with bad grammar as seriously. If they can't take the time to use the shift key, or type out a three-letter word, then why should I take the time to read their post?

Especially since this is a forum, not a chatroom.[/color] [/size]