OtakuBoards

Swearing in raps...

Epitome

There has been alot of discussion about this in the Battle Forum and the Rap Battle threads. I know that swearing is not aloud on the boards, and I respect that, but for raps can we swear just for a rhyme or something. I mean not swearing like... well you know what I mean. But anyways, can you make an acception. If not I completely undersatnd but thanx anyways.

[size=1]I'd like to add another suggestion (since this is somewhat related.) I would like to ask that the swear filter be removed in Poetry/Mitch/Fan-Fiiction. Even though I haven't posted anything innappropriate, I think it hurts a member's writing is several words are ***ed out. I don't think that thing would get out of hand, but I could be wrong...

-Shy[/size]

[color=#335062]Well, OtakuBoards has always prided itself on being a place that is friendly for all ages. We've given a public commitment to parents that we will ensure that inappropriate language is censored here.

And basically, I'm very reluctant to give any ground there. I think it would be unfair to uncensor text in one place and leave it censored in another.

However, I have to acknowledge that our membership is gradually getting older. Right now, I am confident in saying that around 70%-80% of our members are 15-20 years old. When I collate members in the Admin CP, this information is displayed for me.

And so, a time may come where we decide to drop our censoring software -- or at least, where we withdraw it a little bit. However, if we do that, we may also decide to restrict the age of those who can sign up (ie: we'd restrict under-13s from registering). Basically, we can't have it both ways.

Right now, I'm satisfied with what we've got, because OtakuBoards is a place where both young and old people can come together. And I'm happy with that.

But, definitely...things could change. The censorship software issue is definitely not something that I've closed the book on, so to speak.[/color]

Honestly, I don't even think removing the censors in general is an issue. It's not something that is hurting anyone.

However, I do think it is somewhat of a problem in the Poetry/Writing and Adventure Arena areas because it really can stifle the impact of the writing. I'd like to think that any profanity used in those areas would really be limited to actual stories that needed it on some level... and not something to be abused.

I honestly think that most members would be fairly accepting of that as well, but really it's hard to say. Either way, I don't think removing the censor in any other place makes much sense... even though I don't think that was the point of this thread.

I agree with Tony, here.

Swearing can be used to make writing more impactful and true-to-life, if used properly. Whenever I include swearing in my writing, especially in my short stories, I provide a warning label of some sort. So, it's not like people are diving in head first without any clue of the content they're about to read. If discretion labels were required, there wouldn't be much of a problem.

Basically, if cussing was restricted to certain areas for creative purposes, I don't think it would take anything away from the tasteful atmosphere of the boards. It's not like people would be able to swear at one another in Otaku Lounge, for instance. Plus, I can't imagine people swearing in [i]every[/i] RPG just for the sake of swearing.

If anything, the added flexibility with language would help strengthen the atmosphere in certain RPGs and it would be easier to created mature, realistic stories for those of us who aren't really interested in the fantasy-driven games that dominate Adventure Arena right now.

I can understand where Hataki is coming from too, because swearing is a large part of the rap culture. There's nothing wrong with swearing in these lyrics because they're not directed maliciously towards anyone--it's just a form of art that expresses the pain and frustration of the human spirit.

[color=#335062]I understand the desire to allow swearing in the context of creative writing. However, the fact that we're a child-friendly site underlines everything we do -- from creative writing to general discussions.

And so, given the commitment we've provided to parents, it [i]would[/i] be in appropriate to allow swearing in any context. I am sure that creative writers can work their way around this. But yeah, I do understand that particular point of view. And I do sympathize with it. I'm just explaining why there are no exceptions at this point.[/color]

[size=1] I don't think removing the censors in any area is a particularly good idea for 2 reasons. I don't want to see the age restrictioimposed, I think the younger members of OB play an integral role here too. Another reason is the same thing which doomed Newbie lounge. It was that certain rules were loosened there and it was abolished because of the double standards it implied (that you could get away with this there)

But basically, the main reasons i don't think is it is a good idea, is the age limit that would come about. [/size]

Well was going to post a long, full post but Charles has really said it all. I do however see James' point also, i do actually think that bringing the age restriction down would be a good idea, if people who really wants to get in to something they are not alowed to they just lie anyway and get in so...yeah i belive in age resctiction down and swear filter abolished to certain aspects. Also if we cannot get the swearing filter stopped for rapping and writing then when we write or rap can we use symbols to get by it without breaking the rules (i know that this is a rule by using í á and so on to by-pass the filter) so maybe we will be allowed to use this? Thanks.

It's still fairly visible as swearing, though. Even if it does have one or two characters changed.

I know swearing's pretty common in most contexts now anyway, but that doesn't mean it should be encouraged or anything. I know that's not what the aim is, but for me the rap culture seems to do that (I've never liked it personally).

I've not many objections, I just don't like swearing all that much.

[color=#335062]And really, the bottom line is that we're a family friendly site. So, blocking out offensive language plays a role there.

And at theOtaku.com, you won't see any swearing. Both sites are very committed to being "clean" places to visit. Adam and I both feel that we can have popular sites and still maintain integrity in all aspects.[/color]

IMO, swearing shows that the rapper can't think of anything more intelligent to say.

But then again, I expect it to happen. I'd really rather not ever have the swear filter removed. I just don't like to see it.

-Justin

I agree: PLEASE keep the swear filter in and all of the rules as they are. I've been to boards where there are basically no limits, and it soon spirals out of control. I mean, I once went to The Final Fantasy Forums, where someone managed to use the "F" word five times to discuss why they didn't like a flavor of ice cream (and where other posters regularly used it and other profanity to flame people, especially people who felt uncomfortable with it) and to anime-forums.com where people also used that kind of language and VERY perverted banners and signatures. I'm talking one person had borderline H in their sig.

I totally agree with Shinji Ikari, James, Solo Tremaine, and Justin: please don't drop the censor or the rules. There are some people who don't feel comfortable with tons of swearing, and especially with the flaming and hateful atmosphere that it produces.

By the way, I love what you all did with theotaku.com, it's a site I can recommend even on my boards that request clean links so. . .thanks very much! -^.^-

Personally, I'm in favour of the filter... Although I can see where people are coming from, and that the board members are getting more mature as time goes on, but I really don't see why swearing has to take a major form in a rap battle. I've been watching a few of these battles, and most of them are actually quite good to read. Like I sit and try to say them, and they work ^_^ And, this has been managed without any expceptions to the rules. So it [i]can[/i] be done, and should continue to be, without any changes needed to any rules or filters.

Urm... that was my 2 cents ^_^()

Well, this is now beyond the original post's point heh.

What I, personally, was and am proposing is that the poerty/fan fiction mod (and that is IT) gets some sort of lift on the swearing ban. No other forums... so we won't have people swearing about ice cream or Cheesy Doodles.

I think the people in that forum are 1.) mature enough to deal with it and 2.) would not abuse it.

Read some of the posts in there from people like Charles that make use of profanity that's all ****ed out. Do any of you seriously think that Charles sounds stupid because he could have picked more "intelligent" words? Sometimes these things are just required in writing.

Anyway, that's my side of it. I do totally understand why it won't be done and why a number of you are against it.