Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I was just wondering if anyone here besides me participated in the sport of fencing. :toothy: Not many people do, but I figured with as many members as there are here, [I]someone[/I] else has to. Or maybe it's another thing I do that nobody understands or cares about.....:p
Posted
I don't fence, but I think it's a real cool sport. I'm just not discaplined enough ^^.
But I think Solo Tremaine does, I gather he's quite obsessed with swords. ~_^
Posted
[size=1][color=CC0000]I.. hmm.. I don't really like fencing. The foils used in them are too thin and look way to light for my liking. I myself tend to go for heavier and larger swords, long katanas are nice. So are sabres.

As for sports, I wish there was a kenjutsu club somewhere near me. If there was I would go, but I also am not very disciplined so I wouldn't stick to it. I'm not sure, maybe I would since I [i]love[/i] swords to peices. But then again, I doubt either of my parents would pay for me to go.. it'd be rather expensive.

Oh, and I also like/am good with spears, halberds and naganitas. :)[/size][/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mina [/i]
[B]I don't fence, but I think it's a real cool sport. I'm just not discaplined enough ^^.
But I think Solo Tremaine does, I gather he's quite obsessed with swords. ~_^ [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, lol. Very much so ^__^ You'd be surprised how often this thread pops up, actually.

I started fencing about seven or eight years ago, and I've been doing it ever since (although a lot less lately due to exams and various other things like that). Mostly I do foil fencing- I think Epee and Sabre are more interesting due to the style of scoring, fighting and the swords themselves (like Break said, they are relatively wimpy), but our club's never had the resources to get into them until recently, when we got a Lottery grant. And the equipment costs a lot, so I don't want to go changing all of my stuff now ^_^;

As good as fencing is, I do really like more freestyle fighting (as in reenactment, stage fighting)- I don't has as good an aim as I'd like as a fencer (despite doing it for so long I still can't beat this guy who's only been fencing for four years), and I can't seem to get some of the more subtle blade movements right. I can't improvise that well, so I often end up panicking and doing something wrong ^_^;

That said, I did gain a silver medal in a competition some while ago.
Posted
[color=indigo]I really want to fence but I'm going to have to wait until the fall before I can sign up for one of the classes. They don't seem to have any running in the summer. Probably cause everyone would be away. Well hopefully Darkmoon and I will get to fence in the fall!^^[/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Break [/i]
[B][size=1][color=CC0000]The foils used in them are too thin and look way to light for my liking.[/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Thin or thick, it's still a three foot piece of metal. As for weight, its true they're light, but that allows many more swift movements and subtle changes in your swing. To top it all off, it doesn't feel to good to be stabbed by one. :p
Posted
i took an acting class, and we learned six moves of fencing, but other than that, i dont. i thought it was relly fun though. i want to take classes, but no one in my area does them, so i'll just havta keep looking
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B]As good as fencing is, I do really like more freestyle fighting (as in reenactment, stage fighting)

That said, I did gain a silver medal in a competition some while ago. [/B][/QUOTE]

I can see how the freestyle would be a lot more fun. :D And congratulations on your medal.:D
Posted
I used to fence. But then I realized that along with the 13-story school I went to, it was making my legs way too tired, and I had been sick for a while, so I didn't have time to get back up to everyone else's level. Plus, I didn't really like it anymore, so I ended up quitting.
Posted
I've always wanted to fence...but I can't. Well not till I become the ruler the Y.A.Fighting Team. I have to beat Andy in a tournament, then I'd take up fenceing. But I might be able to take kendo classes so it a tie between kendo and fencing...I want to do both...:(
Posted
Me personally I would love to fence, but I want to do more swordsmanship stuff. Get into the heavy sword fighting. That would be great, that and doing archery.
Posted
[color=009966]I love fencing! I used to go, but class is on Wednseday, and that's when we have church activities, so I can't go anymore. I haven't gone since November...[/color]
Posted
ahh fencing looks so honorable and cool in animes (Treize, George de Sands). but if i was to take up a form of sword fighting id take kendo. gotta go with the slashing.

right now im just a boxer/bodybuilder. im trying to get more built and tougher before i take any kind of japanese/european style martial art classes.
Guest Chris
Posted
[color=green][size=1]well, i don't fence, but i love sword fighting. my art mentor(sp?) is a 3 time undefeated highlander sword fighting campion. he said he'd teach me to sword fight if i stayed in his art classes. my mother won't let me take the lessons until we get our own house, so i haven't taken any yet, but i do know some of the basic stuff. you'ed be surprised how much stuff you can learn off tv. anyway, i don't think i want to fence, because the style is more about grace than ability than other styles. but i'd try it if it was free.[/size][/color]
Posted
Id love to learn sword play ect. , ive always wanted to take fencing, but alas i am a pathetic ballerina, so i dont have time to take martial arts of any form :( . Even tho my dance studio is rite over a martial arts studio.
Posted
[COLOR=green]Ben, at your suggestion, I'll be fencing with you next year.

Unfortunately as far as actual experience goes, unless you count dueling (using Jedi combat form) with wooden rods painted to resemble lightsabers, I have none.

EDIT: I'm changing (Jedi combat from) to (Jedi combat form). I hate this keyboard...[/COLOR]
Guest Randleman
Posted
I take karate and am a black belt. At our Dojo, I am the sword guy. I own 2 katanas. Not quiet fencing because if u hit the guy you cut them, but it's still fun. And every once in awhile, we get to use wooden swords so we get to hit eachother.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...