OtakuBoards

Manga: Shonen Jump!

OtakuSennen

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B]"IMHO"?.. In my hobo's opinion?.. -_-

Hikaru no Go? No Hikaru no Go...! I don't want any more game manga filling the pages of Jump[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=brown][size=1]"IMHO" stands for "In my humble opinion, learn your internet language foo!

HikaGo is possibly one of the greatest peices of manga...It wouldn't matter if it were a game manga.It would be great if they added it to the american Shonen Jump, HikaGo finished in Japan anyway.[/size][/color]

[quote]"IMHO" stands for "In my humble opinion, learn your internet language foo![/quote]

Oh... *bows apologetically* Kudasai, Kakashi-sensei.

[quote]HikaGo is possibly one of the greatest peices of manga...It wouldn't matter if it were a game manga.It would be great if they added it to the american Shonen Jump, HikaGo finished in Japan anyway.[/quote]
Um.. What exactly makes it so good?
However, from what I've heard, it sounds like it does deserve to be in Jump.. It doesn't fit being in a monthly graphic novel...

shonen jump is the ish. cant wait 4 ruroni kenshin to finally be printed in it. imho shaman king is one of the best in the whole book so far..., until future mangas. the others would have to be yu-gi-oh 4-sho, naruto, yu yu hakusho, and some others (im not bout to name every manga in the book). but its a good thing that released it in the us, and that kenshin is coming:flaming:

[color=brown][size=1]Anyone notice that alot of the manga in Shonen Jump are released after the anime appears in America, or already has? Kenshin just started, and there's rumors about it coming out in Graphic Novel form...My opionion would be to add manga that American's have never heard of.Anyone else think they should do this?[/size][/color]

They've already done that with Naruto, Shaman King, Naruto, One Piece, and SandLand. But as for Shonen Jump itself, I love it! The only manga I don't like is SandLand (One Piece is okay). My favs are Naruto and DBZ. YuYu Hakusho, too. (In no particular order)

I can't wait for RK to grace the pages of Shonen Jump. It's a bonus, and it's pretty cool because, since the November issue will come in October, I'll get the first RK around my birthday! *yaay*

I also like their Japanese Lesson-type mini-sections at the beginning of each manga, because it helps me a lot in my Japanese-learning (it's very hard), and it's just interesting, too. Their occasional Holiday sections are interesting as well. (Happy Obon, everybody! Oh, wait... That's not 'til August. Meh)

Shonen Jump is the bombness! Heh. Bombness. I made another funny...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Battosai [/i]
[B]They've already done that with Naruto, Shaman King, Naruto, One Piece, and SandLand. But as for Shonen Jump itself[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=brown][size=1]What I'm saying is that practically everyone knows what DBZ,Yu-Gi-Oh, and YYH are, and that they should add manga that anyone has hardly ever heard of.

I'd rather like if RK was in Graphic Novel form, and see HikaGo by the end of the year.I would also like to see Tennis no Oujisama and Bobobo Bobobobo.[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
OK, it's official. Kenshin is gonna be in graphic novel format, and Hikaru no Go is taking Sandland's place in Shonen Jump this November.

To quote Viz.com:
[quote]2003 PRESS RELEASES
SHONEN JUMP New Releases
Exciting new additions to action packed schedule with Samurais and Japan's popular game, Go.
VIZ, LLC, is proud to announce the acquisition of two new titles in The SHONEN JUMP graphic novel line, Rurouni Kenshin and Hikaru no Go making their debut in the Graphic Novel format. Fans will be able to get a sneak peek into Rurouni Kenshin through SHONEN JUMP Magazine and Hikaru No Go will be serialized in SHONEN JUMP magazine beginning in January, its anniversary issue. Bringing the most action-packed, popular titles directly from Japan, these two new titles will garner much press and consumer excitement with the launch of the first graphic novel as early as November 2003. Look for another exciting announcement in August as we announce our acquisition of an eagerly awaited title.

Rurouni Kenshin

One of the biggest manga hits of the 1990s, Rurouni Kenshin is set in Japan during the late 1800s and brings this remarkable period of Japanese history to life. It is the Meiji Restoration, and the feudal system separating the classes has ended. By law, the samurai must give up their swords -- symbols of their traditional power -- but a few still resist the changing times. In Japan, the accumulated sales for all volumes combined for Rurouni Kenshin was 4.5 million copies.

Currently airing on Cartoon Network, Creator Nobuhiro Watsuki's first series, Rurouni Kenshin ran for 28 volumes in Japan. Translated in 14 countries worldwide, this is the first time the manga will be translated into English, but the anime TV, movie and OAV series are available in English, sometimes under the title Samurai X. Fans will be able to see a sneak preview of the series in the November issue of the SHONEN JUMP Magazine (on sale October 7, 2003).

RUROUNI KENSHIN, VOLUME 1
SHONEN JUMP graphic novel
story & art by Nobuhiro Watsuki
b&w, 208 pages
$7.95 USA/$12.95 CAN
ISBN: 1-59116-220-3

Hikaru No Go

The latest hit game among Japanese students has nothing to do with cards or magical beatss. In fact, it's not even a new game, but one that used to be associated with old folks. How did it get to be so popular? Simple: It has really cool manga!

Currently at 18 volumes, Hikaru No Go (The Go of Hikaru) has been hitting the top of Japan's manga sales charts for several years. The series is a team effort, written by Yumi Hotta and drawn by Takeshi Obata, with young go master Yukari Umezawa as technical advisor and Japan's National Go Association as their willing supporters. The rest is a unique gaming comic that has resurrected the popularity of this traditional Chinese strategy game (superficially similar to Othello). In Japan, the latest volume of Hikaru (vol. 23) sold 830,000, and altogether (from Vol. 1 to 23) has sold 21 million to date. It's also been translated in 7 different countries.

This series will be making its debut as a serialization in the January issue of the SHONEN JUMP Magazine, to replace Sand Land that ends in the November issue.

HIKARU NO GO, VOLUME 1
SHONEN JUMP graphic novel
Story by Yumi Hotta, Art by Takeshi Obata
b&w, 208 pages
$7.95 USA/$12.95 CAN

ISBN: 1-59116-222-X[/quote]

So.. I toldja I was right. :sweat:

I would prefer BOTH of them to be in Jump, myself.. But I know that Viz needs to spread out what they have, and it's hard to envision Hikaru no Go in graphic novel form alone..

^_^ What are your thoughts?

• 6 months later...
Well, Sandland is replaced by Hikaru No Go. And Rurouni Kenshin is yet to be released on SJ. I'm very creapt out how Naruto ended in February issue. Naruto is mad beyond beliefs.

Hikaru No Go is very enjoyable. Though, why did the title on the latest issue was called, "The Game of Life and Death". Though Hikaru never played a game. But he just advised a kid to movve 1 point up and a bunch of people b**ched about it. Anyways, I'm psyched about March's issue. Can't wait till Naruto gets in to action.

[QUOTE=G/S/B Master]Well, Sandland is replaced by Hikaru No Go. And Rurouni Kenshin is yet to be released on SJ. I'm very creapt out how Naruto ended in February issue. Naruto is mad beyond beliefs.

Hikaru No Go is very enjoyable. Though, why did the title on the latest issue was called, "The Game of Life and Death". Though Hikaru never played a game. But he just advised a kid to movve 1 point up and a bunch of people b**ched about it. Anyways, I'm psyched about March's issue. Can't wait till Naruto gets in to action.[/QUOTE]

My last post was from long ago. So I fo know know that Shonen replaced Sandland....finally. I still don't like One Piece, and I am waiting for the DBZ section to get to the Cell Games. The cell games is my favorite part of all of the DBZ show.

As for Naruto, I cannot wait to find out what will happen next. Though, I think that I already have March's issue of Shonen Jump. Yeah, I think I do. I subcribe to SJ, so that's why. I am very excited to read the next issue. Naruto keeps on getting better each time I read it.

Not only is Naruto getting really interesting, but also Shamen King as well. [spoiler]The competition thing to find who is the next Shamen King is coming in April's issue. ^__^[/spoiler] Shamen King is really funny.

Hikaru No Go is very awesome indeed. It is making me want to learn how to play Go.

Guest SpiritDetective
I love reading Shonen Jump.My favorite Manga in Shonen Jump is either Yu Yu Hakusho,Shaman King,or One Piece.All those Manga are freakin awesome.ANIME FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!