OtakuBoards

Big O (and season II)

WW2

Which was better?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which was better?

• The Big O I
    • The Big O II

Finally, with the help of Adult Swim, Big O has returned.

I've always liked this series ever since it was first shown on Toonami. I really enjoyed the mecha designs and cryptic story elements. But soon, after 13 episodes, the series ended, and was shortly erased from the line up. Its cliffhanger ending left me with many questions.

But now that the show is being re-aired, along with new episodes, I hope that many of my questions will be answered.

What questions do you hope the new episodes will answer, and are you happy about the Big O's return?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my sister have talked about the episode where rodger goes into the subways and finds A casket on one of the busted up trains. He wounders if it was dorthey who was in their but in the episode dorthey dorthey rodger says it was A scientest that created her recentaly. So I want to know wich one is it.

This is kind of a side note, but does anyone know if Big O is related to Cowboy Bebop? I have noticed a few things that lead me to wondering this.

1) The artwork is similar
2) Both have the "staring at the fan" scenes
3) I could have sworn I saw Hajime Yatate's name in the credits
4) Roger and Spkie have the same voice (though that may have more to do with who was chosen as the voice actor then the company)

BP, I also see the resemblences between the two.

I mean, CB and Big O's openings use the same styles, and that Dosten guy looks alot like Jet.

Note: I just found out that there will be a total of 13 new episodes, making the entire series 26 episodes.

Yeup, I saw this too.

I dont know what to think... I didnt like the first part of big O that much, so now it doesnt really matter.

Maybe this new stuff can make me a believer :D

I figure that atleast we will get to see the newest of the newbies by seeing who's gonna be boasting that new series.. the big O.

[B]i'm looking forward to the new episodes of Big O. i only started watching the show right before they took it off toonami so i hope to finish watching the rest of the first season on adult swim. i think its a pretty good anime.

i'v always thought of Big O as a japanese Batman: Batman + big mech and android = Big O[/B]

[color=red][font=times new roman]Well it looks good and im looking forward to seeing all the eps...Unfortunatly I didnt catch it when it was originaly on...

I think the most important part of this show is the fact it was made specifically for the us...I mean when the second series comes on that will be its [b]Primier[/b]. i think this reall signifies a turn for the better where japanese animation companies actually make anime specifcally for the US markets (And no they arent dumbing anything down or such)

And Anime Invasion had a fun idea...If we can demand more Big O we should be able to demand more Bebop :p So everyone go Email wanatabe now :D [/color][/font]

I heard that the only reason Big O 2 was made was because of its popularity in America. AnimeInsider said it was no big deal in Japan, but eventually, after a bunch of company dinners, Bandai got more episodes done.

But I've never really been a big fan of this show.. But the new ones look great! ^_^

[SIZE=3][I][B][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=firebrick]I really have no opinion, to tell you the truth. It seems that Big O is back, after all. I hope the new episodes are better than the ones I first seen, b/c the old episodes somewhat didn't make any sense to me. So byfar, I'm not gonna watch it. Maybe not for a couple of weeks, ne way.[/COLOR] [/FONT] [/B] [/I] [/SIZE] :) :tasty: :butthead: :bawl: :drunk: :therock: :rolleyes: :p :eek:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WW2 [/i]
[B]Note: I just found out that there will be a total of 13 new episodes, making the entire series 26 episodes. [/B][/QUOTE]

And if the new episodes do good, Cartoon Network has the option to create [B]26[/B] more episodes, bringing the series to 52 episodes.

-Cyber

some information on the relation of Big O, Batman, and Cowboy Bebop is at this review site:
[url]http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue206/screen2.html[/url]

it's pretty interesting. basically Big O and Bebop are/were both coprojects of Sunrise and Bandai. and Sunrise did some of the animation for Batman. I think the relationships between the three are pretty obvious ... but they're all cool and different in their own ways, too :-)

I'm glad they brought Big O back. like otakusennen said, I heard Big O was actually pretty unpopular in Japan, but it's doing pretty well on adult swim :-P

I love Big O!
I first started liking it when it was on Toonami and when I heard it was coming on again I was like Yay! Then when I heard there'd be more eps. I was like Yay! again but, much louder!

As for the similarity with Roger and Spike's voice well, [SPOILER]both are done by David Lucas (look at the credits) and I believe that lady that was in pink is Wendee Lee.[/SPOILER]

I also say that guy (don't know his name) looks like Jet, it's the beard and maybe his eyes, I guess.

Guest WingZero05
they actully show blood, and they cuss every now and then, but that's about it from wha i can see

Heh.. For Adult Swim, it's not THAT adulty.. Blood, yeah, but that's PG-13 at most. Then the swearing... D word and C word mostly.. Friends sneaks a PG rating in earlier episodes with that stuff.. As to most sitcoms.. Then the pervy stuff isn't that bad.. No nudity.. It should be called "Older Teen Swim." Nothing's rated M.. Most of the time it's PG.

The only things that I can tell are different from Toonami and AS versions are .. alittle blood..minor swearing ocassionaly...the refrain's to God or God's..and in Big O's cockpit when he gets in it it now says " In The Name of God" where before it was " In The Name of Truth and Justice", so not much uncut but hopefully Big O 2 will have a lot more than that.

I'm watching Big O for the first time (though I missed the first episode), and I'd definitely say it has style LOL (and I noticed all those similarities between it and CB also, :love: ) anyway, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite animes.

I really hope theotaku.com opens a section on it. If it would be anything like their WONDERFUL Trigun pages, I'd be very happy.
:love:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Yusuke [/i]
[B]Personally, i think Big O sucks. ever since i saw it on cartoon network it's sucked. all it is some guy that has a robot. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well if you hate guys with robots, then you must hate half the anime created.

But what you're not seeing is that the show isn't really about Big O, but the characters search for what happened in the past. The robot battles are just a plus.

I'm sorry Big O fans, but I have to agree with Yusuke. The show isn't that great. The animation is okay, but that's about it. I just hate some of the stupid things the characters say. Also there isn't really that much depth to the storyline. It really just reminds me of Batman. *shudders*

One theme I *hope* doesn't take over the series is the "love" between Roger and Dorothy (which I would guess would become more prominent because of the ending credits scene where they're sitting on the hourglass together as the closing theme, a love song, plays).

I personally hope that it stays as a sort of platonic thing, because although a "deeper" relationship between a man and an android would be an interesting topic to explore, and (to me, maybe not to you) not as simply disgusting as, say hardcore hentai/yaoi/etc, it would be quite *different* and could POSSIBLY approach something really sick if not handled correctly by the writers.

I say leave anything beyond nonsexual love between these two to the fanfic writers, and that the series should keep on track with its main plotline, LOL.

Big O is a great series. The whole plot with the city losing its memory is interesting, and the mysteries of the Megaduce, the Android, etc. keep the series mysterious and captivating throughout. The robot battles are also pretty impressive, but kinda falls below my taste... I preferred the more smooth, flexive motions of the Evas, but I still think Big O is a great series.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Metatron [/i]
[B]The robot battles are also pretty impressive, but kinda falls below my taste... I preferred the more smooth, flexive motions of the Evas, but I still think Big O is a great series. [/B][/QUOTE]

The only downside to Eva is that the movements are too human-like. Anything that big wrapped in armor (even if it is biological) should not be able to move that quickly or smoothly. Big O seems more realistic in that manner, if you can ignore the fact that the finger and some arm motions do not seem to fit the control movements.

[color=red][font=times new roman]Yeah there really is alot more to the plot then just mechas duking it out...The characters are pretty interesting and theres alot of questions that I hope are resolved in Big O 2.

The other thing I love about Big O is the mecha designs...There very retro and distinct...They move and look like what they are...Giant lumbering mechanical weapons. Big O has to be one of the coolest mecha designs ive seen in awhile. :cool: [/color][/font]