Big O (and season II)

WW2

Which was better?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which was better?

• The Big O I
    • The Big O II

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B] Especially when he unleashes that super hand strike with the chrome bars on his forearms. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you mean when he uses the pile drivers built into the elbow joint? Those are cool, but I prefer the "Chrome Buster" laser that fires from the Big O's "crown".

Does anyone know if Kenichi Sonoda had something to do with the character/mecha design? I could have sworn I saw his name on the screen yesterday.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hitokiri
I personally believe Alex Rosewater is the main villian(Considering he rebuilds Big Duo,but for what purpose?),then Scwartzvald,its going to be interest how they play out...maybe we weill get too see an invasion thing ~-~

I like BIG O, it's good....I liked the eposide with the robot pianist, that was good. It was kinda of a sad story with the robot, and the music in that eposide was awesome, so sad and chilling.....Chopin-"raindrops"....I recognized it cause I have a cd of Chopin with that song on it. When the robot played it, wow.....it really added dramatic feel to the show for me.

Well last night Adult Swim showed a preview of the upcoming season for Big O, and I have to say it looks pretty damn good.
The animation designs looks pretty much the same, but is much brighter and lively.

The best part about the preview was seeing [spoiler]Rosewater's new Megadeus fighting Big O. It sorta looks like that Royal Gundam from the G Gundam series.
Oh, and they showed the new, re-constructed, big Duo going on a rampage.[/spoiler]

I just hope the new season will answer the many questions that surround the story.:D

I like the second season a lot cause i don't remember how long it has been since they showed the first season, but im thinkin at least a year or 2 or so or something like that. When I saw Big O for the first time i thought it was pretty good so i watched it and my sister said she didn't like so i told her to shuv it and shut up. I love the man it is like really good man. well, i also absolutely hate when they put to be continued cause they always leave ya hanging man then you have to wait until the next night when it comes on in the first place.errr. Oh well, im done talkin now. hehe!

Well the second season doesn't air until next Sunday, August 3rd.

Adult Swim has been airing the first season since the beginning of July. Tonight they're supposed to start rerunning the show, until Sunday that is.

Did anyone else notice on the previews that [spoiler]a lot of the destroyed MD's (Mega Dues) seem to have returned? I noticed Big Duo and that one that Beck used in the first and second episodes (with a new face). I thought I saw a few others I remember, but I cannot think of which ones they were.[/spoiler]

I loved the animation in this ep., esp. when it started to rain and the night part of the ep.

I think they said they'll return to the regular schedule so I guess that means it will go back to being on the weekdays, I think anyway.
I thought that was funny when they said that this ep. was too long so they either cut the opening or the ep. itself; that ep. was a little long. I think they should make them all like this, well maybe.

One thing I liked about this ep., was the abundance of [SPOILER]tomatoes!
I love tomatoes and I just found it kinda funny that tomatoes have to do with the current two eps; that old man being in the field of tomatoes and Roger being covered in them, then there was Rosewater holding one at the end.[/SPOILER]

I'd like to know who [SPOILER]the guy in the black n'white striped tux, that Rosewater handed the tomato to,[/SPOILER] is.

What'd you guys think of the episode that aired last night? (although Yami*Maho already started talking about it :)).

Actually I didn't understand the whole [spoiler]tomato thing[/spoiler], thought that was the weirdest part of the whole episode.

I didn't really like the way they did the whole [spoiler]long flashback/introspection thing. I definitely like the idea of Roger facing whatever he's gotta face and don't mind introspection episodes in general. But it was rather disrupting to have twenty minutes worth of his thought in the middle of a fight scene. I thought I'd be getting more fighting, less introspection, so wasn't quite prepared for how slow the episode was.

But whatever, I still thought it was a good episode. The part in the theater, where Roger and the butler were overacting, was really amusing.[/spoiler]

EDIT: oops. There's another more specific Big O thread that's currently discussing the latest episode ... torn ... not sure where to post ... will leave this here for now.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Yami*Maho Keno [/i]
[B]I'd like to know who [SPOILER]the guy in the black n'white striped tux, that Rosewater handed the tomato to,[/SPOILER] is. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I think that freaky dude in the stripes is a new character named [spoiler]Alan Gabriel. I don't know much about him, except that he manages to pilot the Big Duo, later on in the series.[/spoiler]

But then again, I may be wrong.

• 2 months later...
I've been eagerly anticipating "The Show Must Go On." Big O: Season 1 was interesting, but not particularly astounding in any way. Season 2, however, exceeded all of my expectations. It presented some really thought-provoking situations, and all of the characters underwent far greater development (particularly Angel, whom I used to dislike).

Well, I've finally seen it. And it's an ending that's going to require a lot of thought to understand. People are already beginning to compare it to the final episodes of Evangelion.

You know what? I absolutely [i]loved[/i] this episode. In my opinion, the better a show is, the less closure it needs to offer, and Big O offered just the right amount. The finale tied together most of its many scattered plot threads, shed light on events of the past, present, and future, and tied everything together rather neatly.

On the other hand, it's quite open to interpretation--just as much as, for example, the ending of Final Fantasy VII.

I'll go into more detail later. But as of now, I am extremely impressed.

~Dagger~

Oh I was so pissed when they started showing episode 20 again! They really got me on that one, I taped this season and I almost turned off my tape.

The ending was wild, I think that since the whole Big O concept was originally just a toy line before they thought about making it an anime they used that as an odd way to set up the Big O universe. It kind of ties in with the things roger saw in his hallucinations near the end of the episode. Definitely no clear answers, but it helps to know a little bit about how Big O came out as a series originally.

Yeah, you really have to dig for the answers. Speaking of which, I have several questions, for anyone who might care to answer them:

1. [spoiler]Who was controlling Paradigm City? It seemed to be Angel, but could it also have been Roger?[/spoiler]

2. [spoiler]When Angel "reset" everything at the very end, did Dorothy become human? In the control room with Roger and Angel, she still seemed to be an android, but when she and Angel were standing in the street during the credits, she definitely looked different.[/spoiler]

3. [spoiler]It seemed to me that Angel was something of a Lucifer figure--don't get me wrong, she's one of my favorite characters--but there was the whole business about her being a fallen angel, and if the Megadeuses possess the power of God, what would that make her Megadeus?[/spoiler]

4. [spoiler]Is the Roger we know the original Roger Smith, or is he a copy? Is Roger actually an android, or was that hallucination nothing more than a hallucination?[/spoiler]

Heh.... it's chock-full of spoilers, in case you couldn't tell.

~Dagger~

The first season, which was originally shown on Toonami, is thirteen episodes long. Cartoon Network then provided the funding for a second season, which recently aired on Adult Swim, and which brought the total number of episodes up to twenty-six. As far as I'm concerned, the second season is far superior to its worthy predecessor. It's only then that the plot starts to deal more with overriding themes, such as the importance of memories, than with your average anime villain-of-the-day.

~Dagger~

well, Dagger IX1, i'll venture to guess at the answers to a few of your questions. note, these are just initial thoughts that will probably change after viewing the episodes a second time. anyways:

[spoiler]1. Who was controlling Paradigm City? It seemed to be Angel, but could it also have been Roger?

I think that Angel was in fact controlling Paradigm City. If you look on the Metropolis book at the end of the show, it has her name on it. Also, at the end, Gordon Rosewater says something like "It's up to you now negotiator." So, the only reason Paradigm was saved was because Roger convinced Angel not to destroy it. So, I guess you could say that Angel was in control, but Roger pulled her strings???

2. When Angel "reset" everything at the very end, did Dorothy become human? In the control room with Roger and Angel, she still seemed to be an android, but when she and Angel were standing in the street during the credits, she definitely looked different.

This one I'm not sure about, because I changed the channel before the credits, but in episode 14, during Roger's "hallucinations" Dorothy appeared to be human ... hmm ...

4. Is the Roger we know the original Roger Smith, or is he a copy? Is Roger actually an android, or was that hallucination nothing more than a hallucination?

My initial guess is that Roger is an android. There was that one brief cutscene of a factory making a number of carbon copies of Roger Smith. Also, he being an android is the only way I can explain why he is in the picture with Gordon Rosewater from decades ago and not having aged a bit.
[/spoiler]

Like I said, these are just my initial reactions and i'm sure when the dvd's start coming out in January and I can view the episodes again, it'll all change. I'd be interested to read anyone else's response.

• 3 months later...
*gently revives thread*

As Big O is one of my all-time favorite shows (and since UK viewers will soon have an opportunity to watch it), I thought I'd bring this topic back to life.

I own the Season I box set, and I plan on buying Season II the moment it comes out. Although it's often compared to Batman and Cowboy Bebop, Big O is a series unlike any other. Its animation is fantastic--particularly in the first thirteen episodes--but remains consistent and eye-pleasing throughout. Big O's dub rivals that of Fruits Basket and Yu Yu Hakusho; while I enjoy its Japanese voices, I prefer watching it in English.

Big O is definitely [i]not[/i] a show for kids. In the latter half of Season II, it begins to become incredibly complex, and retains the dark, almost Gothic atmosphere originally established during Season I. One episode of the first season shows a hedonistic party full of luxury, gluttony, lasciviousness and drunkenness--a gathering which soon goes up in flames. Literally. After being set on fire, the people there desparately hurl themselves through the building's glass windows, plummeting many stories to a hideous death.

That's not technically a spoiler, so no worries. In any case, I hope I've proved my point... Big O can be enjoyed by younger crowds, but its mature themes make it a pretty iffy watch for children.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Arial Narrow]I believe(opposite opinion of most of my friends) that [COLOR=Black]Big O[/COLOR] is a great series that is underrated by most people. Season I was great, but I believe Season II was better than its predecessor. Atop the great art and setting of the story, the music is very well suited for much of the series.The opening seems sort of a Flash Gordon spoof, but hey, I think it's great. *types while playing it* The mecha designs are well done, and I always get a joy when Roger summons Big O. He totally rocks. I still, as of now, have to get both seasons on dvd. Somewhat strapped for cash at the moment with car insurance, college, prom savings, and summer savings. I put a little aside each week in my bank/hidden shoebox specifically for anime. Next up on my list is, thankfully, The Big O.[/FONT][/COLOR]

First off, big O is nothing like b.g.c.

Big O is based on a man who is called "the negotiator". This guy is voiced in english by the man who does c.b.'s spike. The basic premise of the show is this man's adventures with his "mega-duece". The mega-duece he reffers to as big O is not anything like most of the mechs from anime. Only it's size is similar to gundams, and speed... well there really isn't any.

The show uses an emphasis on how slow a robot of that size would be and works well within those limitations. The combat between mechs is limited to about 1 fight per a show with only 2 mechs in each fight. If your a fan of fast gundams, evas or b.g.c. style mobile suits, don't expect to be happy with the mech combat. But like I said, it still does an alright job of getting some action in.

There is also a major theme about memories and our attachment to the past. However, this concept is often badly written and even more poorly organized on a philosophical level. Only the most accepting minds will be able to listen to the long philosophical monologes without saying to themself, damn, this is just rediculus!

So, yes, big O is a show to give a try, but it is certainly not worth comparing to the likes of series such as bubble gum crisis or gundam.

btw, in japan big O was a failure through and through, but as it failed there, it aired here and began to do better than expected. (thanks to cn.) The only reason season two came was for the american market.

Thank ye kindly, Sir Kent. ^_^

Now, I've only seen Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, so if you're referring to the original BGC... just ignore the following paragraph. ^_^;;

I'm not saying that the two shows are totally comparable (at least in terms of plot and characters), but I feel that they develop in a similar pattern. First of all, both remain fairly episodic until their last ten or thirteen episodes, revolving around either the rogue boomer or bad guy of the day. Secondly, music plays an extremely important role in both BGC and Big O. While Big O takes its cues from Cowboy Bebop, using a combination of jazz and classical to establish that super-cool post-apocalyptic sort of mood, BGC relies more on guitar riffs and techno beats, which give it an edgier, futuristic atmosphere.

And, of course, there are always the superficial correllations. For example, Sylia's mansion serves the same function as Roger's, and her butler--like Big O's Norman and Alfred of Batman fame--is an elderly man who just happens to be ridiculously faithful and impeccably dressed. Taken by themselves, these things are meaningless, but Big O and BGC initially gave me the same kind of vibe. Plus, certain aspects of their storylines have much in common with the Matrix trilogy.

To tell you the truth, I can only think of one truly lengthy philosophical monologue in the entirety of Big O, and that's Schwartzwald's letter to the city. Personally, I'm not bothered by such spiels, as long as they're not simple dialogue (which, in .hack//SIGN, they often are.... but I digress). If one character started reciting to another his theories regarding the interrelatedness of all things, then I would stop watching. I can have a pathetically short attention span; even when watching Kenshin, I tend to be bored by the fighters' drawn-out exchanges. Big O, however, always holds my attention--interpret that as you will. Even Schwartzwald's monologue is accompanied by interesting, meaningful (and thankfully non-static) imagery.

*shrugs* I never paid much heed to Big O's mecha combat. It didn't seem to me as though that was the true focus of the show. If I want lush, gorgeous giant robot action, I can go watch my handy-dandy RahXephon DVDs, or just rent Eva via Netflix.

This may sound incredibly counter-intuitive, but in spite of its title and giant clomping robots, Big O is more of a cerebral series. Watch the last episode, and you'll see what I mean--when it comes to migraine-inducing complexity, Big O is right up there with much-lauded shows like the aforementioned Rah and Eva. I often judge my anime by how much thought it requires to appreciate and understand, which in turn determines its re-play value.... Big O satisfies quite well in that regard.

I was going to write something about Big O's characters, but I'll save that for another post. This one has gotten rather bloated as it is.

~Dagger~

Intresting post dagger.

Very observant and well formed opinion, but I think you are simplifying the similarities to other shows.
Just for starters, the music is really an issue of being a good show or not. Most of the best shows manage to use music as part of the show. It sets atmosphere, it creates suspence and lets us (the viewer) understand moods that would not be expressed had there been no sound on the show.
So if the music is good in your opinion, I appreciate and respect that, especially since your capable of doing so. However, I would still say the comparison is off since it could be applied to so many different shows.
[B]I should also mention that when I first saw big O back on it's first season first run at cn, I thought of it as a bad batman/cowboy bebop rip off.[/B] So that really does make me extremely biased in my opinions of the program.

The next thing I want to mention is the philosophical dialog... while you may feel there isn't much, I feel that there is always atleast 1 speech by roger and on top of that, there seems to always be a villian that wants to talk about something deep but nevers wants to "spit-it-out-already."

Then there is the action element... For me, the badass females with their small suits in bcg were an awesome factor for the appreciation of the series. In big O, there really isn't much of that at all, so like you I don't really pay attention to what they try.

In the end, I feel there are really 2 different levels to look at this show compared to others. 1 being the structure of the show... (i.e. the plot, the episode # and placement of story developments within)
2 being the look of the show... (this being the artistic style, the music, etc.)

When looking at it from my point of view, big O just doesn't really match up to bcg in my mind. (then again, Im not really sure I watched this bcg called 2040 or whatever... how long ago was that made? )

Could I have watched this bcg you are reffering to about 9 years ago?
Im gonna have to go catch up on some of the older series and their remakes... you know I still haven't seen that vampire hunter D: blood lust. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I still think you put forth an excellent post and opinion, so good deal. :beer:
Later.

[COLOR=#503F86]Wow, I didn't mean to cause that much trouble ^_^; But if it's intelligent discussion there's no problem I guess.

Anyway, I saw the second half of my first Big O episode today- the first half was over-run by Smallville >.>

My first thought when I switched over was 'Outlaw Star', not in its plot so much (although there is an android girl in it; I'm not going to make any assumptions about it yet) but the look, voices and music. They're all done by the same people though, so it's hardly surprising. Unfortunately because I tuned in late I wasn't able to understand much of what was going on, but I was impressed nonetheless. It's unusual to see anime eyes without any colour, it threw me for a while. It's much more stylised than any other anime I've seen thus far, with the exeption of The Animatrix. Good stuff, though.

I'll be able to discuss more once I've actually seen a bit more. I love the ending theme, though ^_^[/COLOR]

Haha, Big O's ED is awesome. The opening theme, however, gets old [i]very[/i] quickly. It's obviously meant to be somewhat cheesy and satirical, but I never bother watching it. That's the handy thing about DVDs--you can just skip forward to the actual episode. ^_~

Dorothy is the best android girl ever, hands down. Oh, I love Melfina dearly, and Chi's sheer cuteness gives her a big edge over the competition. Galatea will always be... well, her merrily chaotic self. And heaven knows that I have yet to fully explore Mahoromatic, Metropolis, Armitage or Steel Angel Kurumi. All the same, Dorothy instantly won my heart.

Why? Well, without giving too much away, she defies categorization. She's ornery, sarcastic, soft-spoken, thoughtful, and has all sorts of surprising predilections. Her English voice actress (Lia Sargeant) portrays Dorothy perfectly.

I personally love Big O's artwork, although a lot of people seem to dislike its untraditional look. Some fans complain that it seems too much like western animation, but I think that's a silly gripe. The very genre of anime was originally drew its strongest influences from Disney.

Anyway, Solo, if you ever need me to explain any plot points or summarize missed episodes, I'd be more than happy to help. ^_^

~Dagger~