OtakuBoards

Multiple Pictures

Patronus

I agree with you on that one, but as certain people told me... "Turn off the signatures if they're annoying you." Bleh... I've also been tyring to get them to down it to the old 8 line limit, but no go... oh well...

Wouldn't it have been easier to just PM a few mods and let them know, rather than start a thread over it just to complain?

Personally, I've not even noticed anyone with extra images in their sigs. Most likely because we don't generally visit the same threads. It's entirely possible that other mods haven't noticed as well. I'm honestly not sitting around hunting these people out, especially since right now I have sigs and avatars turned off because I'm on dialup.

[color=#707875]Semjaza's right. If you see someone with more than one banner, obviously a Moderator hasn't noticed it.

I haven't noticed anyone with multiple banners either, in recent times. Though I've certainly edited a couple of rule-breaking signatures in recent weeks (which had multiple banners). But lately I've seen nothing.

Hopefully we'll eventually have software that deals with it automatically.[/color]

[size=1]Ergh. I [i]have[/i] noticed several people with multiple images in their signatures, but they remove them when asked. I'm a tad behind, unfortunately. ^_~ There are a couple people I haven't gotten around to yet.

As for the smileys...I believe the "policy" on that is you can use as many of OB's smiley's as you'd like. If you have to image-link them, though, they count as an image.[/size]

[color=indigo][font=gothic]Which leads to people with a good thirty or so small annoying little faces in there, I've noticed. Which is never a good thing, and definately something that should be remedied in my opinion. I mean, sure, if you want to use a little picture to give emphasis, fine, but writing "My favourite smilies!!!" And having it followed with a large number of them is pretty pointless, not to mention annoying. But then, personally, I think smilies should never have blighted the face of the internet... I'm quite interested to know why you would feel the need to use an image link to display a small, rather insignificant face like thing though.[/font][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Harlequin [/i]
[B][color=indigo][font=gothic]I'm quite interested to know why you would feel the need to use an image link to display a small, rather insignificant face like thing though.[/font][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

In this time of sarcasm and irony I think smilies are extremely handy in preventing people from getting the wrong idea - or to prevent them from thinking what you said was a joke.

Basically, the smilies replaces the tone of the voice. You simply cannot have a tone in writing, unless you use quotes, like " 'That's very smart of you', I say in sarcastic voice", but that's just weird...

I don't think using smilies is a bad thing at all (especially since I use them myself ;) ), but in everything there's a limit.

AzureWolf, are you talking about banners like mine?
With the small picture on the right?... This is actually one picture file, shrug. If it wasn't what you were refferring to, I apologize... I just havent really noticed anyone using more then one banner, but as Sara said, they're around... ^_^

[color=#707875]I've noticed people using two banners before...even though both banners fit within image size requirements.

But yeah, only one banner. You can have smilies in your signature, but only one banner. And if the smilies are excessive, they'll probably be removed.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sage [/i]
[B]In this time of sarcasm and irony I think smilies are extremely handy in preventing people from getting the wrong idea - or to prevent them from thinking what you said was a joke.

Basically, the smilies replaces the tone of the voice. You simply cannot have a tone in writing, unless you use quotes, like " 'That's very smart of you', I say in sarcastic voice", but that's just weird...

I don't think using smilies is a bad thing at all (especially since I use them myself ;) ), but in everything there's a limit. [/B][/QUOTE]

Although I'm off-topic here, sarcasm can be detected in writing. Just wording something a certain way can make it very harsh. It is my belief that if someone feels happy when they're writing something, then you get that feeling while reading it.

Conversely, if someone is angry or annoyed while typing something up, their post will sound very biting and sarcastic.

Though smilies are a fun thing to have, they're not necessary to inflect tone into a work of literature or a post on a message board. In fact, in many ways, a smiley detracts from a post. It gives the writer a "backdoor" out of something he or she said. I'm not against smilies, either, but, similar to titles (newbies, for example), the post should speak for itself and not need be buffered by a happy face.

In regards to the sig picture question, I imagine most offenders are more than willing to comply with the guidelines and such. One of my friends was recently notified that she was in noncompliance, and is making the necessary changes ASAP.

OB is a very cool board in that it's very understanding and wishes to pursue the mutually beneficial track of handling things. Things are handled in a mature and sensible manner, which I believe leads to a smoother operation all around.