Does anyknow some good cover songs?

These are two good ones I know:

The Ataris - The boys of summer
Snoop Dogg - We Will Rock you

lol :ball:

PS> please try to post only old songs that were covered

It's a New Order cover. I think.

There's a million good cover songs.

NIN's Physical, which is a cover of an Adam Ant song. Closest thing there was to sex in a music format for quite a while heh. They also did a great cover of Queen's Get Down Make Love, Gary Numan's Metal and Pigface's Suck.

Marilyn Manson has quite a few good covers as well. Aside from the obvious Sweet Dreams from the Eurythmics. They also covered AC/DC's Highway to Hell, Soft Cells' Tainted Love, The Doors' Five to One (great song), Gary Numan's Down in the Park, Screamin' Jay Hawkins' I Put a Spell on You, Lennon's Working Class Hero and so on. There's actually quite a few, but most are B-sides and not available on the actual LPs.

Other than that...The Tea Party's cover of Rolling Stones' Paint It Black, Apocalypse Hoboken's cover of Darling Nikki (originally by Prince... it's in Purple Rain), Bowie's cover of the Pixies' Cactus and A Perfect Circle's awesome, awesome live cover of Bowie's Ashes to Ashes all come to mind.

I particularly love Ashes to Ashes. Great song by Bowie and a great cover.

I prefer covers that really change the dynamic of a song... but it's also nice to hear a band's influence or skill reflected in something that isn't their's, even if they just barely change the basics of it.

Semjaza, you have just made my day by naming of such miraculous bands and songs. Covered or not, most were really good...But we all are forgetting a great band who has re-done, covered, whatever you want to call it...Testament...They re-did "Sails of Charon" A GREAT Scorpions song. If you haven't heard that song, I'd suggest going to buy a Scorpions Greatest Hits Tape or CD..the Scorpions are one of my personal favorites and I think everyone should own some Scorpions music.

Glad I could help lol.

I forgot one more. Twiggy, the bass player from Manson (he's now with A Perfect Circle... along with James Iha of the Smashing Pumpkins heh) did a cover of I Only Want to Be With You.

The cool thing about that is the person who sings it is the model Twiggy, who he was named after. His real name is Jeordie White, but when the band was in its early years, they all took the first names of female celebrities and the last names of serial killers.

Anyway, I think it's on the Dead Man on Campus soundtrack... along with another Manson cover of Bowie's Golden Years. I Only Want to Be With You is really cool, because it adds this modern rock quality to an older rock song. I wish more songs were made like that.

To be quite honest, I wish Rock and Roll had never really evolved into what it is today. It was greatest in the 80s....My personal opionion, Of course. The Rock and Roll nowadays is too mainstream. Dont get me wrong, I am Heavy Metal Head, but...Rock was greatest in its Golden Years of say....Late 70s through Late 80s.

Mainstream is an odd way to describe any genre of music in its entirety. The only thing that's mainstream is the crap that is super radio friendly, and the lesser stuff that strives to be just like it.

There's plenty of more underground or indie rock around... whether it's metal, industrial, punk or just hard rock in general. Plus, there's always bands around that are just well ahead of the curve or do their stuff so well that you can't ignore it. Popular or otherwise.

Personally, I can't say I prefer any decade over another... or think any set time span is when rock was at its peak. There's too much going on now for me to live on nostalgia.

I guess it just depends where you look.

[size=1] I've heard some very wicked punk cover tunes from Me first and the Gimme Gimmes, who I first learned of through p2p file sharing. Their best hits are

Somewhere over the Rainbow
Wild World
Rainbow Connection
One tin Soldier
Runaway
Who Put the Bomp?
Phantom of the Opera

Most of these tunes i have downloaded, there seems to be a bit of confusion as to who they really belong to, So i don't know for sure who does them, If I did, I'd buy their CD's probably.

There are wicked punk covers of

Go your own way
Paint it Black - Semjaza mentioned that one
Have you ever seen the rain
Spiderman Theme Song
Eye of the Tiger
Sweet Home Alabama

There are a couple I've heard at the movies

Freddy got Fingered - I've got to be me (in one of the last scenes).

Bowling for Columbine - What a Wonderful World(DVD Title screen and end credits). EDIT: I just found put this song is covered by joey Ramone from the Ramones, It's a good song well worht checking out.

That's all i can think of right now.

EDIT: I've checked the list of artists and songs that po up when I search for punk cover tunes. Apparently A Newfound Glory does california Dreaming, NO! Me First and The Gimme Gimmes do it! If you get songs via the p2p way, don't rely on the artists it says.

Because apparently One tin Soldier is actually Puff the Magic Dragon, oh please :rolleyes: [/size]

There is a website called The Covers Project, though i'm not sure If I'm allowed to link to it or not, it has a list of cover bands and their songs. Try searching on the web for "covers project"

I have covers of Madonna's "Like a Prayer" by Rufio, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by The Starting Line, and Modern English's "Melt With You" by Saves the Day. Thrice has a couple of Beatles' covers called "Eleanor Rigby" and "I've Just Seen a Face." They also did a cover of "Genie in a Bottle" by Christina Aguilera.

Oh, I also have a cover of J.Lo's "I'm Real" by The Starting Line. It actually doesn't sound bad. heh

[font=gothic][color=indigo]The Tea Party also did a version of Bowie's "Heroes", which was great, and Jeff Buckley's "Everyone Here Wants You", and "No Woman No Cry". They've done quite a few... As well, some of my other favourite covers are some of the things Tori Amos did; Heart Of Gold, Smells Like Teen Spirit, and the like.

I've also got a CD entitled Never Mind The Originals, Here's The Covers. It has quite a lot of good stuff. Dope's version of "You Spin Me Round Like A Record" (Dead Or Alive), Reel Big Fish's version of "Take On Me" (A-Ha), Placebo's version of "Johnny and Mary" (Robert Palmer), Ministry's version of "Lay Lady Lay" (Bob Dylan), Echo And The Bunnymen's version of "People Are Strange" (The Doors), Prodigy's version of "Fuel My Fire" (Cosmic Psychos), Fear Factory's version of "Cars" (Gary Numan), Goldfinger's version of "99 Red Ballons" (Nena - great song), Save Ferris's version of "Come On Eileen" (Dexy's Midnight Runners), Violent Femmes version of "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" (Culture Club), Ramone's version of "Subsitute" (The Who), and the immortal Jeff Buckley version of "Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen).

Quite a list there, and those are just the high lights.[/font][/color]