how many here do some kind of archery?

moon-scar demon

archery and the otaku  

21 members have voted

1. 1. archery and the otaku

• how many actually do archery?
    • how many just like the sport?
    • how many wish they could do it?
    • how many others like unusual sports(swords,archery,etc)?

Okies, first off, I love archery and fencing. I'm one of the top ten best youth archers in my area of the state (NW Ohio). I love archery, I've been doing it for who knows how long.
Second, what the hell kind of a poll is that?! I do belive it should be: "yes, I do archery, I just like the sport, I wish I could do it, and, I like unusual sports" not questions.
I'm sorry to be mean, I guess I've had a little temper lately.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by moon-scar demon [/i]
[B]Hey where do you go to get a banner,I really want one. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=navy][i] You either make one or ask someone to make one for you, and you post the link with [img] tags around it in your signature. The FAQ in the Otaku Information Center tells you how, as well as a post in the banner request forum, I think.

I don't participate in archery seriously. I just shoot a few arrows off at a friends house. Moon-scar demon is right, it is a great stress reliever.^_^ Although i'm not too good at it..
Fencing i've always wanted to do, but for some reason, never have. I don't think they have any fencing classes around my area anyways..
~Matto[/color][/i]

I'm starting my 8th year of Archery. I go to many tournaments, and I really enjoy the sport. I need to get a new bow soon though, because I've had the one I'm using now since my first year of Archery.

My room is full of Archery awards. That's partly because there aren't very many people in my age group that compete in my area. There have been a few years with good competition, unfortunately those were the first few years I competed.

For those of you who do archery, what?s your highest score? My highest is around 280, but the highest I?ve ever shot during a qualifying shoot was 243 (I always choke).

[size=1]moon-scar demon, work on your post quality please.

Anyway, it's a strange coincedence that you started this thread because I recently began taking archery classes in college. It fulfills a PE requirement that I have for my General Education, and it seemed like it would be a lot of fun. I've never had any experience in it, so these past two weeks I have had to learn everything.

Having said that, archery is a lot more difficult than many people realize. Depending on the weigth of the bow it can be an incredible strain on your muscles (mostly the arm and shoulder), and because of my vision, accuracy is especially difficult for me. Almost everyone in my class is new to this, and they are having the same problems I am.

I haven't really gotten to the point of scoring myself, but I can assure you that it would be quite embarassing...

-Shy[/size]

I used to do modern archery at a local club about five years ago, and bought a fair bit of equipment for it as well, but the club I went to wasn't very friendly and we got fed up with it after a while. I'd not taken it up since until starting at the local reenactment group.

There's a big difference between modern and medieval archery (as you'd perhaps expect)- the bows are different, the draw weights are too. It's still good fun, though.

I now have a nice authentic 14th/15th Century longbow and I shoot whenever I can. Unfortunately the arrows I have are rather bad, and half of them broke on the first day I was shooting >_< Still, even though I'm not that great at using a historical bow, I love the sport. It's good exercise for your upper body and there's something very satisfying about hitting the target, heh.

I'm so jealous!! I wish we had archery/fencing opportunities in our area. I wish I had the time/money to participate. The most I've gotten to do is a bit of archery at Girl Scout camp. I absolutely LOVED it. I was pretty good, too, for a first-timer. If anyone knows of a good archery place in Kansas PM me!! (Preferably in the Southeastern portion of the state.)

I wish I had a chance to do archery! It's something I've always wanted to do. One of my childhood dreams. That and fencing. I've always wanted to sword fight. Not just with fencing swords but with real ones as well. I can't wait till college when I can do these type of things!! I know it will be so much fun from what other people are telling me!!! Good luck with your classes Shy!

No problem moon-scar demon.

Yeah, one of the reasons I'm ranked so high is that hardly anyone does it in our area, only about 50-75 youths altogether.
Hmm, my highest score.....I think it was 290. I dunno, it's been awhile since the last time I even picked up a bow.....I should be outside practicing more.

I haven't gotten a bow yet but my instructor says I can get one anytime now,but its a matter of money why I can't. I ve been doing it for almost a year now and the other day my teacher said that I could be"an extremely good shooter"
I was like, really,that is so cool! Anyways,I agree with shy,the bow I am now using has been upped 5lbs more,now its 30lbs and my left shoulder gets really sore and so does down by my wrist. But I finally found something I like and am sticking to it, pain and all! -

I just tried archery about a week ago. It was my first time, but I was pretty good (or at least I'd like to think). It was my first time picking up a bow and I was shooting the bullseye from about 50-100 ft away. Also, when we got bored with that we started to line soda cans up on the hay stacks and shoot those. It was a lot of fun and I hope to do it again real soon.

Yah I like the classic ones to.Alot of people have the compound ones and I just don't like those.Some of them it has a thing that you pull,like a tab or something that is attached to the string and practically pulls it for you,I like pulling the string(even though I get a blister once in a while,but hey,its all part of the game)!

Yah,I agree with you AuroraDragon,the wood just seems to require more skill to use and I like that(no offense to anyone who doesn't use or like the wood ones). I just got over a blister like two weeks,lol.Last week at my lesson one of my arrows got stuck and it took two people(men)to get it out,it was really funny!

I'm not an archer or anything but my uncle is a sharpshooter instructer for the Las Vegas swat team. He gave me a lesson in sharpshooting. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, not the aiming part, but the bullet gets moved by wind and it's almost impossible to hit the bulls eye.

Well, I would like to learn archery but I think using high tech ones are kind of lame. I would want to use old fashioned ones like wooden.

~Xaru

I've always wanted to do archery. Perhaps I'll look into it more seriously now; everyone here really seems to enjoy it.

On the topic of fencing: one of my friends went to the fencing nationals for several years in a row (she was really quite good), but then gave up the sport. Silly girl.

~Dagger~