OtakuBoards

Just can't get around to it.

Mina

Procrastination.
After a long summer and going back to school, this has been a little issue for me. On the first week of school, I was s'posed to do a report on a science career and went online to look for info on one. Then I get sidetracked because I keep visiting random sites, chatting on AIM and my report remains undone.
I stay up half the night reluctantly finishing it.

So does onyone else have this issue of procrastination? How do you beat it?

Buckle down, realize that you MUST complete whatever the assignment is, and just do it. Oh, and turn off all messengers. If anything, go to the library to do your research so A) you will not be tempted to turn on the messengers and B) you cannot visit your favorite sites.

Sadly, procastination has fallen upon me time and time again, but, I always manage to accomplish what I need to do in order to go back to doing what I want to do.

Thank God college is so much lighter on the homework and days...

:D

College seemed lighter at first. To the point that I'd put everything off and still finish it with an A.

However, somehow everything finally clicked and college suddenly just picked up. It wasn't a gradual thing whatsoever, it went from rather easy to nearly impossible. How a teacher can expect 12 to 16 hours on one assignment within a week, I have no clue.

As such, I can't really put off as much as I'd like to... but I still do. I'm really bad about it.

Heh, I'm a [i]huge[/i] procrastinator, unfortunately. I always put off work as long as humanly possible. I'll probably have to find some way to stop myself from doing that, though, seeing as my schedule is full of AP classes, heh.

But, knowing me, I'll probably still do it. It's a vicious curse, I suppose. I probably won't get over it until I absolutely have to.

[FONT=arial]what I did to help control my procrastination habit a bit is tell myself that I'm not getting any sleep until I finish what I'm supposed to do. at first it didn't really click, and for the first week or two of school, I wouldn't get started on my homework until ten at night (cuz I would spend all my time doing anything I could to avoid it -- THAT's how bad I was about it), and at the end of the schoolweek I'd have a little under ten hours of sleep (total) under my belt. scary-ness. but now that my body (and mind) realize how much I LOVE and NEED sleep, by brain starts digging at me, saying, "Look Stephanie, you've got to do your homework." "Stephanie, remember those 4 assignments you're supposed to be working on?" "You don't want to pull another all-nighter, do you?", so now it's not as hard to focus on getting my work done, lol.[/FONT]

[color=deeppink]::is totally craving those Twizzlers licorice bites...yum!::

I'm a huge procrastinator. During this past session, sometimes I'd leave a photo assignment until the day it was due, where I would then shoot it and work on it a few hours before I had to turn it in. The digital camera is a beautiful, beautiful invention.

There's very few papers that I start working on early, most of the time I write them the day before/day they're due. It's not a bad thing, I just work better under pressure ^_^[/color]

Heh, I put things off until the day they're due also. Then what I do is, I put in some made up stuff. But the strange thing is, whatever I write, it seems to fit in.
(I am that good. :D. Not)
I even do article summaries in class when the teacher's not looking. If I have to hand it in as we come into class, I pretend I lost it, do it in class and pretend I found it. Crazy, but it worked through Middle School. Now in HS, I have study hall. Wonderful thing. ^^

I think you need to organize your thoughts. Don't sign onto AIM, or MSN messenger or anything else. Don't have to the radio on, just get to work on your assignment and keep on task. You need to realize that once your work is done, you'll have more time for fun!

And I've found that if you create your own mental deadlines, (remember to give yourself some leeway(sp) time though too, in case some things run longer) that you'll be more pressured to get it done. And you'll get the assignment done.

Good luck....

I am a Procrastinator Extraodinaire. It is really bad, I know, but OB or MSN just keeps distracting me. I could put more will-power into it, but I just can't be bothered sometimes. So i get up at 6:00 and finish assignments. Fun. I know that it is a really bad thing, but sometimes if you aren't in a work mood, then any work that you try to do will be second-rate. Sometimes I am in a work mood, and will turn out some pretty good stuff, but if I am not in a work mood, and force myself to work, my work will not be too good. But I do wish that I wasn't so much of a procrastinator.

[color=darkred][size=1]Well at the time its making a buddy profile for my Aim screename, Everyone at school is always bugging me saying "Hey why dont you have a profile" or "Make a profile and put me in it" I just started making one but then I got bored and didnt know what to put in it lol I dont think i'll ever get it done

[b]The biggest and most important one though is doing my HOMEWORK[/b][/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]Heh, I'm a [i]huge[/i] procrastinator, unfortunately. I always put off work as long as humanly possible. I'll probably have to find some way to stop myself from doing that, though, seeing as my schedule is full of AP classes, heh.

But, knowing me, I'll probably still do it. It's a vicious curse, I suppose. I probably won't get over it until I absolutely have to. [/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]I just work better under pressure ^_^[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Nuff said.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mina [/i]
[B]Heh, I put things off until the day they're due also. Then what I do is, I put in some made up stuff. But the strange thing is, whatever I write, it seems to fit in.
(I am that good. :D. Not)
I even do article summaries in class when the teacher's not looking. If I have to hand it in as we come into class, I pretend I lost it, do it in class and pretend I found it. Crazy, but it worked through Middle School. [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=teal][SIZE=1]I know exactly how you feel...but I'm trying to quit procrastinating so much, my mom has started calling me the Chief Procrastinator. I just never can seem to get myself to do anything...v.v

It's kind'a weird how everything works out and flows together in my assignments, even though I did them a few hours before.

And I also do that, I pretend to lose it then do it during class, hey, it works *shifts eyes*[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I am a major procrastinator. I do it to the point I don't do my work at all...wait...does that still count as a procrastinator?... I never did fix that problem. I'm payin for it right now. (I'm retaking some classes at school)

I'd give some advice, but I'm definetly not one to talk.

[size=1]I have a huge problem with procrastination, but I think it runs with my overall nature of who I am.

Not that I would really call myself a procrastinator, just, to most, my priorities are out of proper alignment. Right now I am should probably be doing my homework, which mainly consists of writing two columns for my newspaper class. I have had all weekend to do them... probably a bit longer than that, but I just never get around to them. It is not like I intentionally put them off. I just find something better to do. Something that makes me happier than writing two columns. If I break down enough where I think there is nothing really better to do, but then remember I still have to write my columns, then I shall probably write them.

Earlier I posted about this in my myOtaku blog. I was thinking about them then, but I was just fine practicing my guitar.

Right now I think I am about to do them... I think I am going to do one of them on procrastination, lol, and here I am posting this.

I shall get them done... eventually.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Baron Samedi [/i]
[B]I am a Procrastinator Extraodinaire. It is really bad, I know, but OB or MSN just keeps distracting me. I could put more will-power into it, but I just can't be bothered sometimes. So i get up at 6:00 and finish assignments. Fun. I know that it is a really bad thing, but sometimes if you aren't in a work mood, then any work that you try to do will be second-rate. Sometimes I am in a work mood, and will turn out some pretty good stuff, but if I am not in a work mood, and force myself to work, my work will not be too good. But I do wish that I wasn't so much of a procrastinator. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree. Sometimes, it's hard to force yourself to do something when you're not in the mood.

I procrastinate because I work better under pressure (like what Babygirl said). I remember in my last year of high school, I had a memory book/autobiography due and I completed everything at the last minute. I started around 4pm and ended 4am in the morning! Anyway, I earned an 'A' from it.

I still procrastinate, regardless of the fact that I'm in college. It's become a nasty habit that I can't shake loose. But when I think of it, I've cleaned up a bit. I haven't gotten myself in a yucky mess, so that's good, right? :sweat:

If you want to break away from procrastinating, it takes time (LOL) and effort. I mean, a LOT of effort... but I'm procrastinating on the effort part so don't listen to me. LOL.

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]Last spring's report card:

A
B
B
B

Those fairly decent, college grades were obtained through heavy procrastination. I procrastinated on papers and final exams. My grades were pretty bad towards the end of the term, but thanks to cramming I managed to get more acceptable grades. I even made the Dean's list.

This doesn't mean that I condone procrastination. In fact, I'm totally against it, yet I'm a common victim of its effect. Had I studied from the beginning, I would have gotten a heck of a lot more sleep and better grades.

This term, I'm [i]trying[/i] to eliminate the nasty habit of leaving papers and studying until the very last minute, but it's hard. I've realized it all comes down to what motivates you from continuing your education. I [i]really[/i] have to motivate myself in order to get anything done. If I don't want to type a paper up, I usually force myself to think of the consequences: Getting an unwanted grade in the paper, which would help on my getting a lower course grade, which would decrease my GPA, which would lower the chances of my getting into a top college, which in turn diminishes my chances of getting a cool job with great pay (Respectable video game programmer/designer for me).

When I think about all that can be lost when one little thing is not done on [i]my[/i] part, because of [I]my[/I] laziness, I freak out enough to work my *** off for a [u]sure[/u] "A."[/color][/font]

[size=1]"Don't procrastinate - you'll go blind."

Heh, anyway. I procrastinate alot, too. I find I can't really work on something 2 weeks before it's due, I work better under pressure, like BG said. That's not a good thing though. I pretty much get away with my procrastination by working my butt off at the last minute, but it's probably going to catch up with me sometime.

At least I know I [i]can[/i] work well when I put my mind to it. I just need to get rid of distractions and such. I've been trying to get a better study/homework habit lately, because I'll have a bigger workload next year. Not much success yet, though.[/size]

I am the biggest procrastinator. Probably because I do things extremely fast. I don't need all that time that you get to do a simple 6 page essay. It is entirly possible to finish an essay in one night. But, some people are slower typers, can't find information, etc. If you [i]know[/i] that you can't finish something within short notice, then try to space it out. When you get bored stop working, as if you are bored, work on it.

~Xaru