OtakuBoards

Irony...

Moor_Child

(I don't think I spelled that right. Oh well.)

My life is full of irony it makes me sick. It really does. I couldn't tell you how many ironic things have happened to me. I know this really isn't a big deal, but it's getting to the point I could go crazy. I haven't yet but I could. Maybe I should start going by the name "Jynx". Maybe not...

Does anyone else have a lot of ironic issuses? What's the biggest one?

(I know this isn't a big deal, but I feel like complaining and I'm feeling pretty curious right now. Feel free to close this you like.)

[size=1]Life has an unfathomable amount of its own little ironies. Those of which I am sure you are not even aware of. There are probably more than you do not notice than those that you do.

I do not really dwell on them, or get annoyed by them or anything. Usually I just laugh at how funny they are.

I would say the most prominent one I can really think of right now is that fact that I, an unproclaimed athiest, carries on with a very good friendship with Tori (Queen Asuka), a Mormon.

I would imagine the following, taken from a [i]Squee![/i] comic, would not be far from a perfectly sane conversation between her and I:

[b]Me:[/b] "Ah, darling. There's something I've been meaning to tell you. You see, I am Satan."

[b]Her:[/b] "Hmmm...that explains the basement. But...I've always been such a good [strike]Christian[/strike] Mormon woman."

[b]Me:[/b] "Well... then let's both be thankful for irony."

^__^[/size]

[size=1]Irony's never really kicked me in the teeth. I mean, some people complain of irony, and how horrible it is, and so on.

I remember, not so long ago, that I decided that I was a bad writer and that I should stop. A day later, I found out I recieved an award for my writing, from a competition I'd entered. Those sort of things amuse me, really.

Irony to me is also a pretty abstract concept. You can never really be fully sure if it's irony or not, but it's still an amusing prospect.

What sort of ironic things happen to you?[/size]

*Avoids inserting cheezy ironic cleshe*

Here's one thatmey seen a little self centered but true.
Whilst in highschool we always talked of how bad the schools reputation was the year or two before we got there. We spent the usual (for Australia) 4 year in highschool and then graduated without so much as a broken table or a hole in the wall.
Recently talked to one of the year tens (I'm now in college) and they said that quite some happenings have happened there and the reputation has gone down tbelow sea level and then some.
Irony?
or Coincidence?

[color=navy][i] Heh, irony is a very interesting thing.
The only real account I can remember is the realtionship with my friend.
About three years ago, when my mom was still around, her and her friend often did things together/invited eachother to things. My mom's friend has a son. We really didn't like eachother at all back then, and both our moms were pushing us to befriend eachother. It didn't really work out.
Now, that my mom is gone, and myself and Adam (my mother's friend's son) went to school with eachother a bit, we are pretty good friends. We often hang around eachother a lot. Now that we are friends, his mom decided i'm a bad influence and that we shouldn't hang around eachother anymore.
It seems really ironic to me. When we hate eachother, were forced to be friends. When we like eachother, we're forced to be enemies. It's kind of funny. His mom really doesn't like me, heh.
~Matto[/color][/i]

Oh baby, do I have a story for you.

I like this guy( like big time, he's so hot...*melts*), this guy likes me.

But won't go out with me cause he says I'm not his type....But he always flirting with me, and stuff. Sort of annoys me, cause I really really really like him. And he( i guess [b] use to [/b]) like me. now

Oh well, there are 2 other guys that I think are just as Fine.... ^_^ well close to the orginal guy, but not quite.

Ironic situations occur to me everyday, I deal with them. But man I really wish I could change his mind.....

I just recently had internet irony

I was going to buy cable over Dsl but after they told me i would need to install extra equipment (almost $150.00 dollers worth) so i said skrew it and i bought Dsl but after the week they said they would hook it up on the 30th OF LAST MONTH i constalntly call them and ask but they dont know ******* at this place so they are still putting me off another week.

must resist urge to kill.

[color=navy][i] It can have different meanings. Look at number 3..

Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
Date: 1502
1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
synonym see WIT
~Matto[/color][/i]

I happen to really enjoy irony, because I've been fortunate enough to pretty much only encounter humorous irony.

Ironic things pretty much happen to me everyday and I actually find it ironic that I really enjoy them. It's just one of those things, I guess.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Irony is probably one of my favorite aspects of life. I find it amusing on so many levels, and am just very interested in it. It's up there with sarcasm as one of the best things ever. [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, you're damn right about that. Sarcasm and irony pretty much make up the entire basis of my life.

Guest Anime_Forever
Irony.... kinda like that one old song anout all the ironic things that happen. Like when you say your gunna win and you lose and you say "that figures" or "I jinxed myself". Then in the next match you say your gunna loose and you do and you complain. Is that ironic?

XD I love everything involving Pepito in Squee!............. Ahh, I cracked up over that one for, like, an hour.

I love ironies. They're so much fun to find and point out.... And when you sy this, everyone's like "Hmm.. like what?" And I can't think of one off of the top of my head. But they're everywhere. What fun!

[color=orange] [font=Shruti] I see the ironies that happen in my life as just more annoyingly stupid things I have to deal with. Most of the time I can just blow them off and not make a big deal of it.
Just as long as you treat annoying little situations like that as funny, it won't bug you.[/font] [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anime_Forever[/i]
[B]Irony? What is irony? Isnt ironic like a coincidence?[/B][/QUOTE][size=1]Ironies are situations/phrases or whatever in which two or more ideas that are often not put together cooperatively find themselves that way... something like that.

That song you mentioned, by Alanis Morissette, almost had nothing to do with anything being ironic, lol. Most of those situations were just unfortunate, like having "10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife". That is unfortunate and inconvenient, but it is hardly ironic. The only thing I can remember within that song that was ironic was "Mr. Play-It-Safe" dying in a plane crash; a plane said to be one of the safest ways to travel. Of all the flights that could have crashed, it was his.

Another example could be an Amish person somehow being involved in a car accident, based on the fact that they stray from modern technology.

An ironic statement would be such as, "Anarchy is the only system of government for me." Anarchy means that of having [i]no[/i] government or system, so that statement would thus be considered ironic.[/size]

Just yesterday morning I was reading the school newsletter......don't ask me why, and came across this part about wearing your helmet to school and it's a $30 on the spot fine or something if you get caught riding without one.
Later that afternoon I just had just came out of the shop near my place and was waiting to cross the main road whih my bike, of course I'm never one to abide by rules and so I didn't have a helmet on . So waiting for all the cars to pass so I could ride across , guess who drove straight past me...........yup the police. I did a lap around the shop just in case they saw me. The coast looked clear so I went to cross the road again.
The b.p was right next door and guess who was washing their windscreen in the drive -thru........I hate police!
Luckily I got across the road with out them seeing me,hehehe

Ironic situations happen every day. Like I some times have these strange dreams at night about school.

Like one time dreamed that my school bus almost got into a car accident with an oil truck and I'll wake up thanking god that it wasn't real and go back to sleep.

Than the next morning the bus does almost get into car accident with an oil truck. Of coarse I'm thinking, " Well that figures." ;)