• No Use For A Name
    • Ace Trouble Shooter
    • Millencloin
    • Less Than Lake
    • Green Day
    • Area 7
    • Other Punk Bands!!
    • I hate Punk, It sucks!!

I'm a big Millencolin fan, I like MxPx all right enough' Green Day is cool; but other than those, I don't care for any of the bands on your list.

I'm generally more into "harder" stuff, anyway. I'm really in love with Finch(though, I haven't heard their new sound, which is reportedly more melodic), I like Killswitch Engage, I started feeling AFI recently. Oh, and I found this really awesome band via Kazaa called Yesterday's Rising--I suggest any post-hardcore/scremo fans go heck them out.

-Justin

Less Than Jake isn't punk, it's ska. You could say they sound similar, but they have completely different origins. I still like 'em though, in fact, I like ska a whole lot better than punk.

The Ramones are overrated, The Sex Pistols had a few good ones, and The Clash were terrible. Classic punk seems to be popular soley because it's "classic".

The Offspring have to be one of the few modern punk bands I enjoy. Their first album was great, Ignition didn't impress me too much, Smash was okay, Ixnay on the Hombre wasn't anything special, but I consider it a great album because it had that unique "offspring" feeling, Americana was great if not only for "The kids aren't alright", and Conspiracy of One wasn't too impressive, but "Special Delivery" is cool. I would rate their first album the best, it was the hardest, fastest, and really fit the name "The Offspring".

The Dead Kennedys were incredible, and have to be the only punk rock band that truley personified the punk subculture while at the same made their name known. Now if I only was interested in politics...

How on earth can you say the Ramones are overrated? I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but hopefully it goes without saying that just about every punk band listed so far wouldn't sound the way they do, without the Ramones' (and others) influences. That's like saying the Beatles were a fad, ignoring that both bands single-handedly changed the face of music in their time. The Beatles challenged a music industry built on throwaway singles by equally disposeable stars, and the Ramones killed disco. History will thank them. ?_?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo[/i]
[B]... Good Charlotte is like punk/goth with a cheerful tone...[/B][/QUOTE][size=1]... You have now proven that you have pretty much no clue as to what you are talking about.

Referring to Good Charlotte as punk is one thing, but relating them to goth is something entirely different. By no means are they even considerably goth.

I cannot believe you said that...[/size]

[size=1][color=CC0000]Geez *neither can Weh believe this*

Good Charlotte, as I have said in another topic, are crap. They truely are. If you go to their website and read their biography, Benji says "we had to make up our own stuff because we weren't good enough to play anything else!", which is so true. Note that this is one or two years after they made Good Charlotte, which really screams at me "cannot play".

And just because they "dress goth" it does not mean that they are goths [i]at all[/i]. Seriously, I do not think you should judge things like that anymore, don't come in here acting like you know everything, it doesn't get you anywhere.

It gets you laughed at *did laugh*[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B]How can you deny Good Charlotte? Is it because there, 'main stream'? I also forgot to metion Sum 41 and Bling 182. Say what you want, but those guys are awsome. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have no problem with mainstream, it's the voices that kill me. They're very whiny. . . I don't see anything in them, they're music seems like it's there with no purpose, not even to be good. . .It's difficult to explain, so let's just say they're not me:rolleyes:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tattoi nobori [/i]
[B]How on earth can you say the Ramones are overrated? I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but hopefully it goes without saying that just about every punk band listed so far wouldn't sound the way they do, without the Ramones' (and others) influences. That's like saying the Beatles were a fad, ignoring that both bands single-handedly changed the face of music in their time. The Beatles challenged a music industry built on throwaway singles by equally disposeable stars, and the Ramones killed disco. History will thank them. ?_? [/B][/QUOTE]

Just because a band is influenced by another band, doesn't mean said band cannot be better than their influence. The Ramones weren't the best punk band simply because they were the first, which they weren't. And do you know how much of The Ramones style goes into most punk songs today? Very little.

And The Ramones killing disco? Haha! That has got to be the most annoying stereotype of punk music ever coined: punk rock was created as a rebellion to disco. If people didn't want to listen to disco, they could have listened to the countless rock bands of the 70's. Ever hear of Led Zeppellin? Lynyrd Skynyrd? The Who? Not to mention that rock was way more popular than disco, in fact disco was more of the equivilent to techno today, it was mostly a club thing.

[quote]And The Ramones killing disco? Haha! That has got to be the most annoying stereotype of punk music ever coined: punk rock was created as a rebellion to disco.[/quote]

Actually, I think I'll accede that point. I get pretty defensive when someone bashes the Ramones, so I say things I don't really mean. Like the disco thing. ?_?

But I will take exception to the other thing: The earliest major influences of punk can be traced to the beat movement of the late 60's, and specifically to Andy Warhol's art/anarchy project, Factory. So while the first Punk bands hit the mainstream a few years after disco was born, the origins and attitudes go back much farther. I think you'd agree that it would have been a pretty shallow thing, if punk were created purely as a backlash to club dance music.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OlgaTheDwarf [/i]
[B]Because the current conversation bores me I'm going to try and change the subject.[/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=CC0000]If the conversation "bores you", then post a new thread with your new and improved "Punk Quiz" in it. Don't just change the subject here, it's what is considered to be spam.[/size][/color]

I'm sorry mister Moderator, but isn't the thread about punk bands not just the "Ramones killing disco or such," I thought that if i was to post another thread about punk music that would be considered spam, but no, it's what I'm supposed to do. I said that the current conversation bored me, what I should have said was the current conversations bore me. Because all I was trying to do was open up another conversation about punk music (in OMG, a thread about punk music). Maybe I chose the wrong wording and shouldn't have said I was "trying to change the subject", but dude, if you didn't want to be involved in the punk music quiz and you wanted to talk about the other conversations than ignore my post. But don't go all high and mighty on me.

Guest Sharpie
My favorite "punk" (i put it in quotes because everyone defines the genre differently and I really don't feel like getting in a fight) are Green Day, MxPx, AFI, Blink 182, Gob, Goldfinger, SUM41, Dropkick Murphys, Madcap, Yellowcard, Saves the Day, The Starting Line.

"Other" Bands that I like that I wouldn't include under the "Punk" category (ie Ska, etc..) are:
Less Than Jake, Mighty Mighty Bosstones (from boston, have to mention them. :p), New Found Glory, Mad Caddies and The All-American Rejects.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tattoi nobori [/i]
[B]But I will take exception to the other thing: The earliest major influences of punk can be traced to the beat movement of the late 60's, and specifically to Andy Warhol's art/anarchy project, Factory. So while the first Punk bands hit the mainstream a few years after disco was born, the origins and attitudes go back much farther. I think you'd agree that it would have been a pretty shallow thing, if punk were created purely as a backlash to club dance music. [/B][/QUOTE]

I do agree very much so. But it's also interesting that punk music started as a club thing. That's what I meant when I said The Ramones weren't the first punk band.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OlgaTheDwarf [/i]
[B]I'm sorry mister Moderator, but isn't the thread about punk bands not just the "Ramones killing disco or such," I thought that if i was to post another thread about punk music that would be considered spam, but no, it's what I'm supposed to do. I said that the current conversation bored me, what I should have said was the current conversations bore me. Because all I was trying to do was open up another conversation about punk music (in OMG, a thread about punk music). Maybe I chose the wrong wording and shouldn't have said I was "trying to change the subject", but dude, if you didn't want to be involved in the punk music quiz and you wanted to talk about the other conversations than ignore my post. But don't go all high and mighty on me. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=CC0000]High and mighty? oO All I said is that if you want to create a punk music quiz, don't do it in here; it isn't a quiz. Geez..[/size][/color]

Guest Magdalena
Dropkick Murphys. Go Boston! Go Ireland.. Whooo
Rancid/Transplants... they are good too
Green Day - New stuff sucks, but old stuff kicks ***.

Other than that, I think punk is fake and disgusting. The people look damn good, but their music sucks.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know about all these other bands you guys are talking about (I've never heard of them except Green Day), but personally I like the All American Rejects. Actually, it's kind of like one song, Swing Swing. I LOVE THAT SONG!!! And then there's Good Charlotte. My favorite song by them is Boys and Girls. Oh and would Incubus and Red Hot Chili Peppers be considered Punk bands?? They are my all time favorites!!! I would wait forever to see them in concert which sadly, I haven't yet.:(