• No Use For A Name
    • Ace Trouble Shooter
    • Millencloin
    • Less Than Lake
    • Green Day
    • Area 7
    • Other Punk Bands!!
    • I hate Punk, It sucks!!

[size=1]I prefer [b]AFI[/b] and, introduced to me be Semjaza Azazel, [b]Apocalypse Hoboken[/b].

AFI has been around for a decade now, and their music has progressed so far along with their band line-up. Davey and Adam are the two "founding" members of the band. Regardless that, in my opinion, their music only continues to get better, each and every one of their albums is its own unique piece of work. No one album sounds like the next (aside from maybe [i]Very Proud of Ya[/i] and [i]Answer That and Stay Fashionable[/i] which even have two re-recorded songs). Back in the day they were seen as a band that was going to become the next big thing in the scene since the Misfits, and that is what they shoot for; the influence to change all the sugar-coatedness and cliches via their music. Sure they did "sell out" with their last album [i]Sing the Sorrow[/i], but they did it to get their music out on a bigger market. To expose it to more people than just those within the scene. They are probably one of the few musical acts these days that do what they do for the love of the music and what is behind it over what they are getting paid for it.

Apocalypse Hoboken unfortunately never really became big, and are no longer together (which is even more unfortunate). Their break finally came with the release of their last album [i]Microstars[/i] on Kung Fu Records. Before that, they have a multitude of other albums on CD and vinyl some of which are still available. Their progression kind of reminds me that of AFI in the fact that their earlier stuff seems to just hold more angst (while still holding that AH wit). They are an incredibly fun band to listen to at the least. Finding out the lyrics to the songs and discovering meaning to them adds a whole new depth to the band, not to mention you can then sing along.

Other bands I like include: Rancid, Bad Religion, the Unseen, Rise Against, and Thrice just to name a few.[/size]

Piro is playing Deadsy... the tears of joy are welling up in my eyes. He just told me he is getting David Bowie stuff the other day too. I'm so proud :D

Anyway...

I don't care for most of what is in your poll. I do like NUFAN. Not as much as I used to, but I do like them. I have a hooded sweatshirt of theirs that I wear near constanstly.

MxPx... Eh. They kind of personify "mall punk", but since I'm not a genre whore, I don't really care. I find their studio albums to be appalling. They sound dull and the singing just sucks. However, I got their live CD, and it rocks. I don't know what they do different live, but it just sounds so much better and actually has a good deal of intensity. Why they don't normally play like that, I have no clue.

Millencolin I love. They deserve the little success they've gotten. Their last release, Home From Home, is among one of the best releases I bought that year. I can't find any fault with it, every song is excellent and played well.

Otherwise, I like AH as Piro mentioned. They are my favorite. They're distantly followed by Bad Religion. Then by AFI, I suppose. There are tons of random others, but I'm too tired to think of any for whatever reason.

[size=1][color=CC0000]Well.. *thinks*... after Piro introduced me to AFI I've had a kinda different view of punk. But I still like all the punk bands I ever did, plus some new ones.

Anyway.. I like the Offspring, I have done for ages. I would say that their earlier stuff appeals to me more, but it's all good music. Unfortunately, they fail to change their style at all and some songs sound like ones from other albums, silly stuff.

Um, Greenday are pretty cool too. I was amazed when I bought their latest album, Warning, a couple of weeks back. It sounds completely different from anything they've done before. Dookie is still my favourite album though. Am I allowed to include Blink into this liking of punk? I do like them quite a lot, all of their albums have different styles and each is unique to that album. Good stuff. ^^

I also like AFI loads, as I've said, Goldfinger, Pennywise and NOFX. Yeah, they're all my favourite punk bands.[/size][/color]

Hmm, it kind of depends on what music you all call, punk. I like The Ataris and A.F.I. Really I do not listen to a lot of punk music, I really listen to Alt Metal Metal and Nu Metal. Though my all time favorite punk band is Boxcar Racer. My favorite song by them is, I feel So. I love Boxcar Racer.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Break[/i]
[B][size=1][color=CC0000]Anyway.. I like the Offspring, I have done for ages. I would say that their earlier stuff appeals to me more, but it's all good music. Unfortunately, they fail to change their style at all and some songs sound like ones from other albums, silly stuff.[/size][/color][/B][/QUOTE][size=1]Holy crap... I forgot about the Offspring. I am a fan of their older stuff. Pretty much anything [i]Smash[/i] and before appeals to me. [i]Ignition[/i] is probably my favorite that I have heard. Our age old, legendary friend, Topaz, was the one who originally really got me into them. Before that I had just known of them off of [i]Americana[/i], which as an album was okay... [i]Conspiracy of One[/i] was total crap, though.

Though, I give them no credit for their cover of AFI's [i]Totalimmortal[/i] for the [i]Me, Myself, and Irene[/i] soundtrack. They did not even get permission to do that, and AFI could not do a thing about it for some reason. It was not even a good cover... >.<[/size]

hm. . .i guess this is like for newer punk bands, yea. . .well i do like AFI. . .one of my favorite punk bands is The Clash, though, they've been long seperated. Actually they were concidering getting back together when the lead singer passed away. *cries uncontrolably* :( *sigh* they rule :love:

Hrm... Yet again, depends what you categorize as punk. Like, I don't consider Less than Jake to be a punk band. Unless there really is a band named Less than Lake. o.O
Personally, I like The Casualties, The Misfits, The Dead Kennedys, AFI, Deadsy, Kill Hannah, The Ramones, The Clash, teensy bit of The Sex Pistols... Or are we not doing bands that are deceased/broken up? The ones that are actually, officially, to say... Punk?

I've seen a few random people mentioning Deadsy in punk band threads around the internet... I don't really understand why. I've been listening to Deadsy for about five years now, and I've yet to come across a song I'd remotely categorize as punk. I can't think of one thing they do that even fits in the genre musically

Unless there is another Deadsy I don't know about, I don't quite understand lol.

Most of the new stuff that comes out proclaiming itself punk, or being proclaimed by others as punk, I could never even mention in the same room as bands like The Ramones, The Clash or The Sex Pistols. It may be a bit prejudgemental, I suppose you could say of me, but I consider Punk to be quite dead. The music will never be as good or mean the same thing as it did back in the day.

As for Good Charlotte, I'll just quote a man I never found funny until the moment he said this:

"Good Charlotte? More like a mediocre Green Day"
-Chris Rock

I'm not a big fan of the Sex Pistols. I never really was. I find them amusing, and their music isn't bad... but yeah.

Besides, the difference between the Beatles and the Sex Pistols is that the Sex Pistols were manufactured. That's probably what he was referring to. Being pop-ish (as the Beatles were) or being referred to as a boy band (which generally implies the manufactured aspect) don't generally have the same connotations.

Guest Anime_Forever
Green Day! I knew them when I was 4. Before they were big. My familly was on a rock tour called Lalapalooza. we were merchandise sellers. we did it for 2 years. Green Day was minor but they made friends with my dad. He gave them free clothes (which they wore to woodstock 99) and the boss got mad. The drummer tried to teach me to skip rocks.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B]How can you deny Good Charlotte? Is it because there, 'main stream'? I also forgot to metion Sum 41 and Bling 182. Say what you want, but those guys are awsome. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't like them because I think they sound bland and bring nothing new to the table. All these groups sound the same to me. It has nothing to do with some lame "selling out" theory.

Also, it's Blink, not Bling lol. I've not liked them since I first heard them, which was well before they got popular. I can't stand the vocals, and it's rather aggrivating that so many copy cat bands think that's a great signing style. Yuck.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I don't like them because I think they sound bland and bring nothing new to the table. All these groups sound the same to me. It has nothing to do with some lame "selling out" theory.

Also, it's Blink, not Bling lol. I've not liked them since I first heard them, which was well before they got popular. I can't stand the vocals, and it's rather aggrivating that so many copy cat bands think that's a great signing style. Yuck. [/B][/QUOTE]

I knew thta, spelling error. I was in a rap battle in the Battle arena. Alot of bling bling sayin, so yeha. They don't sound bland to me. They all bring out a certain form. Good Charlotte is like punk/goth with a cheerful tone. BLink 182 are pure punks and your classic three man band, adn Sum 41 are skaters and punks. But hey both talk about heart break. But thats BLink 182 the most.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]My favorite punk band is Creed. [/B][/QUOTE]

lol...
That comment deserves more recognition than it seemed to get so I'll re-post it for all.

Anyhoo, I have a profound dislike for most of the bands listed in the poll (the others I just haven't cared enough to listen and pass judgement on), but I do enjoy punk. One band that I think everybaody should check-out if they want to hear something out of the ordinary generic (most of what's listed above), is mewithoutYOU. This bands album, [I] A--->B life [/I], is one of my favourite cd's. So if you enjoy the "art punk" (yeah I'm a genre whore) styles of bands like At The Drive In you should check mewithoutYOU out.