OtakuBoards

Underage Drinking

MarkM

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]Underage drinking is a problem in australia, about half of my year level at school (and it should be about the same in a few others) have no problem with getting completely and utterly smashed at parties, and I'd say about fifteen people I know do it on a very regular occasion, say, every weekend.

On a more personal level, my mother is a severe alcoholic, so I've been somewhat deterred from alcohol.

Not much else to say on the topic.... the legal age to drink here is 18, no limit if under parental guidance.[/color][/font]

I don't like drinking; I know these guys who go out and get hammered, then can't remember anything that happened to them...God, to hear them talk...

Underage drinking is the worst, though, because most kids are idiots who immediatly think they know what's best. Here's a clue: you really don't. Also, by drinking around the ages of 13-16, you run the risk of seriously screwing up your body for life. Drinking during puberty totally f's up your body's development.

I'm not even going to start on drunk driving.

All that said, I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18. Either that, or raise the voting/draft ages to 21. However, this is a matter of principle, not personal opinion. I find drinking to be disgusting and unhealthy, and I will never do so.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][FONT=arial]I was in Europe earlier this summer. Several of the people I was with felt the need to smuggle alcohol into their rooms every night (it was against school policy, eh) simply because they were in Europe and, well, they could. Dealing with drunk classmates is not fun, especially when you're stuck with them in another country.[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]That's why I didn't go on my Senior trip. Everyone wanted to go to Jamaica so they could get drugs. Instead, they went to Mexico and got plastered every night. Oh, the stories I heard about that trip.

I was happy with my two week vacation to Oregon.[/color][/size]

Underage drinking is fine, as long as you know your limits.

But don't hang around people who are wasted, their judgements become impaired and they might do bad things, or try to at least.

Like this guy this weekend is twice as old as me, and started to hit on me, and he tackled me, And i had to kick him in the head and the chest to get him off. He says he doesn't remember, but that creeps me out. And later on that night he tried to do it again, This guy ( who i thought was a friend) turned out to be a real creep!

So watch out for who you hang out with when you're drinking and know your limits.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Emme888 [/i]
[B]Underage drinking is fine, as long as you know your limits.

But don't hang around people who are wasted, their judgements become impaired and they might do bad things, or try to at least.

Like this guy this weekend is twice as old as me, and started to hit on me, and he tackled me, And i had to kick him in the head and the face to get him off. He says he doesn't remember, but that creeps me out. And later on that night he tried to do it again, This guy ( who i thought was a friend) turned out to be a real creep!

So watch out for who you hang out with when you're drinking and know your limits. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]And isn't this a FINE example of why NOT to drink? Geez, people...[/color][/size]

[color=#707875]I think it depends how you classify underage drinking. What I mean is...there are some people under 18 (in the case of Australia) who drink at parties or social functions and who can have a couple of drinks and then stop. In other words, they don't make a total moron out of themselves.

In terms of myself, I was drinking alcohol at about 16. But I only ever drank at parties or something like that. And moreover, I never got drunk. I've never been drunk at all, for that matter.

There are a few reasons for that.

Firstly, I remember being at a party in high school where one guy got so drunk, that he passed out...and kept vomiting on himself while in a complete coma on the grass. He was basically unconscious and someone had to keep cleaning him up and everything...it was really disgusting and horrible. It was sickening.

And secondly, I have a very high tolerance for alcohol. I don't know why, but I never get hangovers either. So in that sense, I've never had a "problem" with alcohol.

Having said all of the above, the main reason that it was okay in my case (or so I believe) is that I had self control and discipline. I understood what my limits were, I never allowed myself to be pressured and I always took a responsible attitude.

Aside from that, alcohol has never really seemed very attractive to me. I've never had any desire to binge drink or whatever. I just don't see the point. To me, an alcoholic drink is no different to any other drink. lol

But yeah, it really depends on the circumstances. This was my experience as a teenager, but I'm sure everyone is different. Kids who either have a low tolerance...or who are irresponsible, shouldn't be drinking. Obviously it can be extremely hurtful to your body, your mind and your entire life.

The problem is that so many kids who can't control themselves end up drinking. When you do nothing but sit alone in your room, drinking alochol, you know you have a serious willpower problem. And at that point, it becomes very worrying.[/color]

[color=indigo]I thought it would be a bit hypocritical if I was to sit here an admonish drinking, after all one of my first posts was a poem about alcohol. I do think that getting drunk at thirteen or fourteen is a bit early; I remember swiping small amounts of my parents booze and catching a buzz with it when was sixteen, but I don?t think I got drunk until I went to a summer school for music when I was seventeen.

I enjoy having a drink once or twice a month (I rarely drink anymore), and I?ll still go out and catch a buzz with some of my buddies when I go home. Despite what others have said, being drunk around the right people is fun, you just have to no your limits between catching a buzz and being plastered.

One thing I will preach about is under age drinking and driving. If you are under 21 do not, under any circumstances drive a car with any amount of alcohol in your system?if you are pulled over you will (at minimum) loose your license for a year and have about $3000 in fines. I know from experience how much this can screw up your life?[/color]

No one has a favorite drink? No one enjoys the true value of some spectacular wines? Ugh, I didn't think of myself as the only afficionado of the finer aspects of alchohol. As for beer, I detest it, once you taste a fine burbon, the swelling of the pallate as your sinuses fill with the overwhelming fumes. It's just an enjoyable experience. I belive getting drunk only subdues the flavor, the overall enjoyment of a drink.

Oh yeah.. one more post before I'm Junior Member :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]No one enjoys the true value of some spectacular wines? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]How about some less than spectacular, $5 bottles of wine?

Then again, I'm underage and to go on about MY favorite drink would be an open invitation to criticism and lectures, heh :p

Oh, and one think I don't agree with at all is driving under the influence of more than one or two beers, and perferably waiting until you're completely sober would be even better. I know that [i]I[/i] couldn't drive with two beers in my system, so I don't know why other people think that they're an exception.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]No one has a favorite drink? No one enjoys the true value of some spectacular wines? Ugh, I didn't think of myself as the only afficionado of the finer aspects of alchohol. As for beer, I detest it, once you taste a fine burbon, the swelling of the pallate as your sinuses fill with the overwhelming fumes. It's just an enjoyable experience. I belive getting drunk only subdues the flavor, the overall enjoyment of a drink.

Oh yeah.. one more post before I'm Junior Member :) [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo] I have several poisons of choice I guess.

Whiskey/Bourbon: I've had several really good brands of both, but they are too expensive to make it worth my while to remember their names (too expensive for me ^_^) ; I usually just keep a bottle of Jameson in my house...it is good enough to drink yet cheap enough to mix

Beer: Anything dark and heavy. I love Guinness, but drinking a pint is like eating a loaf of bread....it is sooo filling. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good beer if you want something lighter.

Wine: I am not a big wine connoisseur but I've had a couple reds from Australia and Italy that I thought were pretty good...but I only drink wine when I go to dinner with a girl or with my folks

Tequila- You should only drink Cabo Wabo tequila...if you drink anything else you are risking a severe hangover. There are too many impurities in Cuervo[/color]