OtakuBoards

Underage Drinking

MarkM

Underage drinking is become a problemin my life. Im 14 and a couple of my friends got wasted last night! Im wondering what everybody thinks about underage drinking. i think its not cool, itsw not fun, and its a waste of time and money, but i would like to know other peoples comments on this.

[color=hotpink][size=1]I started a thread about this about two years ago and it became a very hot topic.

Obviously, I'm against it. And even more so now that I'm in college. People will find any sort of excuse to get drunk.

They all say they drink to "let loose." Well, I can let loose without being drunk. And I must say, I feel a ton better and remember a whole lot more than they do afterwards. :)[/color][/size]

[color=deeppink]Hm...this should be an interesting topic.

I had my first night of alcohol when I was 14, also. I was in Europe at the time so it was socially acceptable, but that was the start of MY underage drinking career.

I'll be 19 in about two weeks and I do enjoy drinking. But the thing is, there's a difference between enjoying a beer or some wine and getting totally smashed. I'm pretty tolerant of my alcohol and I enjoy a nice buzz when I'm in the mood for it, but the only time that I was [i]completely[/i] gone was this past New Years Eve.

I didn't feel guilty or worried about it because I was with my close friends and I didn't have anything [or anyone] to be wary of. It was just a rare occasion for all of us to let loose and have fun.

But even though I enjoy drinking when the mood strikes, I think that people who get drunk every night are just disgusting. It's like they need the alcohol to "have fun" [gotta love cliché sayings].

If your friends are only 14 then it may be an experimental stage they're in right now. As long as it doesn't become a habit or lead to an alcohol addiction problem, let them find [i]out[/i] what it's like to be wasted. Who knows, maybe they won't like it and will stop drinking entirely...it's possible that that could happen :)[/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]Yeah, I'm 14 too and I see it all the time. But it is just stupid, some 15 year olds got drunk and got in a car crash.. they weren't even 'sposed to be driving. They were lucky, none of them got killed. I'd say it's not cool, underaged drinking and smoking is about the uncoolest and stupidest thing you can do. One of my sisters good friends was killed because he was in a car with an underaged drunk driver. I think drinking is stupid no matter what age anyway.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm glad you came to some sense, the problem is it took you some idiotic action like submitting to pressure and drinking at 14. Alchohol is illegal because of irresponsible people. I think if we stopped making alchohol such a HUGE part of our existence, and getting wasted a constant fad. I enjoyed a few sips of wine here and there for special occasions as a kid, but I never felt the pressure to go out and get wasted until people would insult me for it.

"Oh, I'm a ***** because I don't want to vomit up dinner? My mom cooked Lasagna, I love lasagna, don't make me puke up lasagna for you self-absorbed materialistic approach to life."

Tell your friends they need to get a hobby. Call me an ***, but drinking is really overrated nowadays. Hanging out with friends who like to waste time drinking is probably more of a waste of time than the act itself. Spare yourself the misery, find new friends.

Plus, it's illegal. What the hell are you thinking? Don't be an idiot and drink. Period.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]If your friends are only 14 then it may be an experimental stage they're in right now. As long as it doesn't become a habit or lead to an alcohol addiction problem, let them find [i]out[/i] what it's like to be wasted. Who knows, maybe they won't like it and will stop drinking entirely...it's possible that that could happen :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I agree that it seems as thought 14/15 is the age when people experiment with it. I had a group of friends who used to do it all the time, every weekend. They would get completely smashed and then brag about which guys they did WHAT with. Yes, that WHAT.

One of them keeps doing it. The other one realized how stupid it was and she pretty much doesn't do anymore. Another one, that just came to college with me, goes out and parties every night. She's not going to last long if she doesn't stop.[/color][/size]

[quote][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth[/i]
[b]Tell your friends they need to get a hobby. Call me an ***, but drinking is really overrated nowadays. Hanging out with friends who like to waste time drinking is probably more of a waste of time than the act itself. Spare yourself the misery, find new friends.[/b][/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1] I pretty much agree with you there. People only seem to do it because it's what the "cool kids" do. And then they brag about the awful things they do. People nowadays seem to have no shame. And that's a shame...*sighs*[/color][/size]

[size=1] I probably will never touch stuff like this. So you know where I stand on this topic; I'm not going to hammer my point.

Drinking is a lot like an escape if you use it enough...and even using it to get a buzz sometimes is also like an escape. But that's what a lot of people want. An escape.[/size]

There is no problem if the drinking is limited to only a small amount, but getting completely plastered is not a good thing. I am only 19, and do mind taking a drink once is a while, but not very often and not very much.

In truth, my opinion boils down to "I don't care what they do so long as I am not involved." People have their own minds and can make their own decisions.

[color=deeppink]Hm, I honestly don't think that ALL drinking is bad. COMPLETELY DRUNK drinking is bad, and that's why I don't drink myself into oblivion.

Even though I enjoy drinking a glass of wine at night, that doesn't mean that what I'm doing is horrible. And, unlike so many people that I go to school with, I could easily put alcohol aside for long periods of time, if not forever.

Being drunk doesn't appeal to me, that's why when I drink it's only something I think tastes good. Why suffer through something that tastes horrible just to get a buzz?

I don't know....I consider myself pretty responsible about drinking, even though it's illegal for me... That's obviously an argument right there, but blah, spare me the lecture :p[/color]

Can I just develop this topic into people's favorite drinks? Obviously, this will refer to people who can legally drink , or handle drinking maturely.

Personally I'm fond of the Lagavoulin Scotch. Aged 16 years. My dad bought some in scotland, and we shared a glass.. it was superb, a rich taste, almost like cedar. I enjoyed that drink immensly.

I am also fond of Lemoncello. It's an italian drink made on the island of Capri, off the cost of Italy (sorrento). The drink is very thick, and meant to be sipped chilled in a chilled glass. Stunning drink, really.

Bleu d Bleu, a spumanti from somewhere in tuscany. Something was added to it (not a dye) to give it a blue hue. The drink was almost addicting, I couldn't help but ask for several glasses. Not extremely refined, more of a fun dessert wine.

How about yours?

well, personally, i would never, ever touch alchohol....
i have seen people totally wasted. it was scary....they didnt act the way they normally did, it was like they were different people. they did many, many "things" that they might not have done so freely if they werent wasted (i think when we got back from my senior trip, some had huge problems that changed their lives that they had to deal with..)
yeah, i agree that people probably get wasted to escape reality.....

If you drink it's not my place to judge you but getting smashed is not a good idea at all. Let me share with you a story of a young girl (15) who got drunk. First she got smashed, then she got fisted, and then she proceded to bleed all over the bed she was in. Not fun i'd imagine, plus then you have everybody at school talking about it. So drink if you want, but know what could happen to you if you abuse it.

I don't see a problem with drinking as long as you don't get wasted (and if you like getting wasted, that doesn't have to be a big deal for anyone else until you do something really stupid). The thing is, drinking shouldn't be such a big deal. In fact, if they took away the drinking age kids probably wouldn't do it as much, because they wouldn't be rebelling. I am 16 (almost 17), and I drink every once in a while, but I've only gotten myself drunk two or three times. I don't drink because I think it's cool, I drink because I like to.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]Can I just develop this topic into people's favorite drinks? Obviously, this will refer to people who can legally drink , or handle drinking maturely. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]*Laughs long and hard* And that's about what, five people on the OtakuBoards in all?

Even people who are old enough to drink abuse it. One reason I hate it so much is because I see what happens to my parents when they drink. Every weekend, they get some beer, and drink until they have a "buzz." But they are so ****ing annoying and I want to do everything in my power to get away from them. They act so immature and childish and you can't hold a decent conversation with them.

Yeah, it's only a buzz. They aren't drunk. And they still act like ****ing idiots.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sweet Setsuna [/i]
[B]so there's no chance I'll be drinking any of it in the near future. Or ever. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Tastes change, honey.

Beer used to repluse me, now it tastes just fine. I used to hate Italian food, now it's my favorite.

Never say never, because it's most likely not something you'll stick to if you're young ^_~[/color]

[u]Opinion Alert![/u]

I had this discussion (well, more like I was so repulsed by what I heard that I stood quiet; 6 vs. 2 is not fun) during my junior retreat 2 years ago. What did I hear? "Oh, my parents say, 'Do not get hammered, but you can drink," and "Well, I know I can control myself and it is something I like to do."

All I have to say, for me, is this:

Laws are in place for a reason. If you break them, you are committing an illegal act. I do not care if you can "control" it, or it is "every now and then;" until you are of age, you are strictly forbidden from partaking in alcoholic consumption.

I make no differentiation between "occasional" and "feverish;" you are, in my eyes, wrong. Now, will I treat you differently? No. If I were your friend, I would do one of three things: Give you massive amount of advice, have simple chats and hang out without alcohol present, or completely ditch you.

When you drink alcohol, you are inducing not only harmful effects onto your body, but you also make yourself a hazard to others. Even [i]one[/i] beer is enough. You may [i]think[/i] you are "ok," but you are not at 100% focus; your reactions slow and your vision blurs.

This country would be so much better if there were less morons willing to buy beer for underage kids (that's right, kids), as well as if those same kids would wise up and stop "rebelling." Your life is not nearly as bad as others kids' is so stop giving your parents such a hard time.

Sheesh...

Personally, I find underage drinking--as well as drunkeness at any age--pretty disgusting. To me, it shows a lack of willpower. It seems that most teens drink because they're bored, because they don't want to feel awkward and out of place, or because they're trying to be rebellious.

There's absolutely no reason for a teenager to drink. It's dangerous, stupid, and basically pointless. If anything, drinking makes one act less mature. Breaking the law for the sake of fun is a pretty immature thing to do anyway.

~Dagger~

Uh... Yeah.... I never really drink at parties, because I'm in the company of others, and I'm not GREAT at holding my alchohol.... I'm 13, and I now it can't be good, but I enjoy a few sips of some strong stuff every onec in a while. Just b myself, because, well, because it's realxing?I don't get drunk though, I find that to be a terrible feeling, but some wine(my parents are okay with a few sips) really does the trick with me after a stressful day. When it's late at night and I'm tired, I'll mix a small gin and tonic, if my parents have gin.. I don't like REALLY strong drinks like vodka, but I'd say I drink a small amount of alchohol about once a week, and I personally think I'm pretty responsible...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]Personally, I find underage drinking--as well as drunkeness at any age--pretty disgusting. To me, it shows a lack of willpower. It seems that most teens drink because they're bored, because they don't want to feel awkward and out of place, or because they're trying to be rebellious.

There's absolutely no reason for a teenager to drink. It's dangerous, stupid, and basically pointless. If anything, drinking makes one act less mature. Breaking the law for the sake of fun is a pretty immature thing to do anyway.

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

You say there's no reason for anyone to get drunk. Then you said there's no reason for a teenager to drink. Are you implying there [b]are[/b] reason's for people of age to drink, but not get drunk?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by XeEmO [/i]
[B]You say there's no reason for anyone to get drunk. Then you said there's no reason for a teenager to drink. Are you implying there [b]are[/b] reason's for people of age to drink, but not get drunk? [/B][/QUOTE]

It's my belief that if you're of age, and you want to drink because you like the taste, or for whatever other reason, go right ahead. Hopefully, by then you'll have the ability to judge how much alcohol is too much.

~Dagger~

Edit: Yes, there are reasons.... but I don't mean to say that they're stunningly good.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]Hm...this should be an interesting topic.

I had my first night of alcohol when I was 14, also. I was in Europe at the time so it was socially acceptable, but that was the start of MY underage drinking career.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]I was in Europe earlier this summer. Several of the people I was with felt the need to smuggle alcohol into their rooms every night (it was against school policy, eh) simply because they were in Europe and, well, they could. Dealing with drunk classmates is not fun, especially when you're stuck with them in another country.

I don't drink. I guess it was never really a conscious decision before people kept pressuring me to while we were on that trip. It had never really come up before. Most of friends don't drink at all (at least, not to my knowledge *rolls eyes*), and as for the one or two I'm aware of, I respect their judgement. I trust them, I guess you could say. There are other people I'm aware of whose judgement I definitely don't trust, but there's not a lot I can do about that, is there?

I guess it really bothered me that the people I was with on the trip didn't respect my decision not to drink. Yes, it was socially acceptable. And no, "just trying it" probably wouldn't hurt. But it bothered me that people kept trying to convince me to drink--or conspiring with others to get me to, which [i]really[/i] upset me--after I had told them I wasn't interested.

*shrugs* I've honestly not had alcohol before, and I somehow doubt that my tolerance for it would be very high. I also know that alcoholism has been a very big problem on my mom's side of the family. Mm.

So yeah. I guess, if I'm going to get drunk, it's [i]not[/i] going to be on a school trip in a foreign country with a bunch of people I don't trust. /

[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B]I was in Europe earlier this summer. Several of the people I was with felt the need to smuggle alcohol into their rooms every night (it was against school policy, eh) simply because they were in Europe and, well, they could. Dealing with drunk classmates it not fun, especially when you're stuck with them in another country.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I was in the same situation when I went to Japan.

Everyone in the group (roughly ten other people) went out drinking just about every night. And this isn't like a beer, they were getting pretty hammered.

Of course, on our last day in Tokyo, they all were too sick to get out of their room, or even their beds for that matter. You opened the door to their room, and that alcoholic stench would just overpower you.

If you're wondering if I joined in on this, I was never invited -_-