OtakuBoards

System of a Down

shibatku

[QUOTE]I love System of A Down, they are completely awesome *smacks self in head for sounding n00bish* But I hated Toxicity. The only song I liked on it was that 'Why Cry When Angels Deserve to Die' song. i much prefer Steal This Album, because its so fast paced and fun. (And it has my favourite song of all time on it - Chic n Stu)[/QUOTE]

Toxicity was so-and-so and Chop Suey (The one you referred to) Is probably second-best on the album. I'd have to say Science or Forest would be the best. Much fastness and...umm...yeah, those are my two faves.

[QUOTE]And I wouldn't call KoRn or Godsmack death metal.[/QUOTE]
Godsmack is gothic metal.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xbloodfightx
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darius_Stomu [/i]
[B]Toxicity was so-and-so and Chop Suey (The one you referred to) Is probably second-best on the album. I'd have to say Science or Forest would be the best. Much fastness and...umm...yeah, those are my two faves.

Godsmack is gothic metal. [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay Darius, just by saying that. You did two things, One, made me laugh pretty hard. Two making a fool of yourself in my eyes. Reason being is how is ANYTHING related to a music genre GOTHIC. Gothic would mean dark, dark would mean death and death means Death Metal which exists and Godsmack isn't. Godsmack is just another Nu-Metal band that put metal with rock and it sounds really bad.

Milo, I stand at my views. Nu-Metal is disgraceful to the whole metal scene because really, it isn't metal. Hence why it's on the radio. Actual metal [along with actual punk] people wouldn't like.

So basically, SOAD is bad. Period, end of story, lets just churn out a new nu-metal band to hit the mainstream and make songs like they eat food. Because most nu-metal songs don't take much.

[QUOTE]Godsmack is just another Nu-Metal band that put metal with rock and it sounds really bad.[/QUOTE]

All right, that's your belief. Can't do much to change it. At least you put together a coherent argument with examples.

If you're into something more "pure" like what you brand "true" metal, then be my guest. But I suppose I prefer more "hybrid" or blended sounds, like nu metal.

[QUOTE]Nu-Metal is disgraceful to the whole metal scene because really, it isn't metal. Hence why it's on the radio. Actual metal [along with actual punk] people wouldn't like.[/QUOTE]

Um...it would seem that you enjoy "actual" metal. (Either that, or you are defending it rather fiercely! :blackeye: ) Are you saying you're not a person?? :therock: Also, if nobody would like "real" metal or punk, why would these metal or punk bands even MAKE music? What would be the point??

Ah...so similar, metal and nu metal, yet peace can never be made. To me, nu metal can be respected because KoRn was treading through some new territory with their unique sound. To me, KoRn rules even more because they needed their own GENRE. This impresses me.

Let me rephrase that, gothic rock. Besides, there is far more to goth than just "darkness" and "death" as you claim. It is a belief in a alternative side to the life we are forced to live because of the close minded people who are goverment officials that try to claim that they know what is best for everyone but they do not truly know what the people want.They only know what they want for the people. And if that confuses you, *censored* you, for Godsmack is goth.

When did this go from a discussion on System of a Down to the merits of Korn and genre stomping? To me, System of a Down is NOT nu metal. Korn is. Its all in the subject matter.

Korn =Whiney shout/whisper lyrics
SOAD = Socially Conscious(sp?) lyrics

Korn = Heavy sound warping (not all the time but you know)
SOAD = Mainly instruments, not many effects

Korn = Sold out
SOAD = Yet to

That's about all I can think of considering I've only been awake half an hour, but they're all relevant. Korn, and nu metal as a whole, is about an entirely different thing to whatever SOAD is (I hesistantly place them in rock). And I am a fan of Korn. So :P I'm not showing a one sided view.

Guest xbloodfightx
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darius_Stomu [/i]
[B]Let me rephrase that, gothic rock. Besides, there is far more to goth than just "darkness" and "death" as you claim. It is a belief in a alternative side to the life we are forced to live because of the close minded people who are goverment officials that try to claim that they know what is best for everyone but they do not truly know what the people want.They only know what they want for the people. And if that confuses you, *censored* you, for Godsmack is goth. [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay, so you are saying music that is political? Haha, kid, what does that have to do with goth. That would make it political music...Okay, seriously Darius, shut up. You are just a fool.

[color=navy]A friend introduced me to this band not too long ago, actually. The only thing I really had heard from them before was a thirty second long sound byte of Chic 'N' Stu, but I borrowed one of my friends' SOAD CDs (I believe it was Steal This Album, but I'm not sure. Funny thing, though- It was a burned disc made up of Kazaa-loaded MP3s) to get more familiar with their music.

I suppose, for one such as myself who's more into Japanese Pop and 70's Rock, this is rather refreshing to listen to. It is, in a way, exhilirating to listen to, but I'm sure there are better bands of the genre out there. I just haven't taken the time to really look into it.

Chic 'N' Stu is still my favorite, though. SOAD just has some sort of intriguing quality about them, and this song exemplifies it. There's just something about it that appeals to me; I can't think of a decent way to describe it.

The lead vocalist's performances are rather irritating, in my opinion. I sort of just drown him out, and listen to the actual melody nowadays.

But I would say that SOAD is a decent band- Not the greatest in existence, but they certainly fun to listen to on occasion.[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[color=#0099ff]Sorry to bump this topic back up, but I need to say something. System has been around for almost 10 years. I don't think of them as "nu-metal" at all. It's just the fact that people didn't start liking them until recently when their songs were put on the radio. Personally I think Serj is very talented. Just listen to the other metal that's out there now. The music is alright, but their voices sound all the same. Like a hollow screaming noise. Serj does his share of screaming in his songs, but that's only in the more popular songs. There are a lot of songs where he doesn't yell, but sings. Plus he can hold a note for ages; it's crazy.

I like the first album the most, and my favorite songs on that one have to be DDevil, Peephole, and Sugar. The second album was too played out, and the third was alright, but nothing compares to the first one.[/color]