OtakuBoards

John Mayer

Heaven's Cloud

[color=indigo]Although I enjoy all kinds of music, I tend to listen to artists like Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, the Beetles and Dave Matthews more than anything else. I just like chill, low-key music that I can sing to and strum my guitar with. Well, back to the purpose of this post, one artist that I am quite fond of right now is Jon Mayer. I have been a fan of his since I first heard ?83? on a local radio station, I bought [b]Room for Squares[/b] and fell in love with the album. Soon after I purchased ?Room for Squares? the song ?No Such Thing? broke through on the radio, a video was released, and Mayer was on his way to becoming a pretty well known pop-star.

I think the reason I enjoy his music so much is because it is similar to the music I [b]try[/b] and write (I am usually not too successful, as I am sure you can tell by the thousands of records I have sold :p). His songs are pretty simple, usually formatted in the typical verse, verse, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus pattern, and his lyrics, although incredibly meaningful and nostalgic at times, are not masked with complexity. He is actually a really good guitar player, and fuses simple and complex chords together with astounding clarity in a way that compliments his voice. Although he doesn?t play too many solos in his albums, I heard him play a duet with his guitar player at a concert this summer?it is too bad that he doesn?t incorporate more solos in his music.

His new album, [b]Heavier Things[/b] recently came out. It isn?t as good as his previous two albums (mainly because it seems as though too much of the background music was computer generated) but it is still a decent record. If you enjoy his music, or like similar artists like Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, or even bands like Counting Crows, check out Mayer?s live album [b]Any Given Thursday[/b], it is a very solid record?[/color]

Yeah, I like the Mayer too. Particularly since he writes his own songs, which as has been said before is becoming less and less common in pop music.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud[/i]
Although he doesn?t play too many solos in his albums, I heard him play a duet with his guitar player at a concert this summer?it is too bad that he doesn?t incorporate more solos in his music.[/quote]
At a concert I went to last year, he actually incorporated several guitar solos into the normal songs on his albums. He'd just create a musical interlude for himself so that he could go off on his guitar for however long. In 83, for example, he stopped in the middle and played "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" for a bit, then switched to "Let's Hear It for the Boy," then moved right back into his song. I consider things like that pretty fun, and if I were a pop star, I know I'd be trying to do things like that too :P

Oh right ... on guitar solos. My original point was that he seemed to have several of them in his live performance, from what I can remember. I personally don't enjoy listening to guitar solos in the middle of songs; perhaps on his albums he laid off the guitar solos to cater to people like me.

His newest song, "Bigger Than My Body" (I think?) is pretty addictive, although at first listen I thought it sounded just like all of his other songs. ... Which, in a way, it does, but he is only one artist, so what more can you expect, I suppose. Anyway, as I listened to it more it grew on me a lot.

I also really like his song "Comfortable," which I've only ever heard live versions of. The fact that it's not repeatedly played on the radio probably helps that song out for me ...

Yea, I like John Mayer too, since I like slow beat music, and when I first heard on the radio "No such Thing" I said I had to get that CD, but every time I heard that song, no one told who sung it and when I called they, never answered me!!! soo I waited and 2 weeks later, they finally told who sung and instantly I went and bought the CD Room for Squares and instintally loved it!! And in about 3 weeks later, he released his newest hit "Bigger than my Body" although I couldn't buy the CD I still liked it. I have never gone to any of his concerts because I can't, but I still like his music; I also like Counting Crows and Ben Harper.;) :whoops:

I didn't think Mayer was any good until I someone brought his new CD to art class.
After hearing it, I have to say he's pretty good.

I like the first track the best, but I forgot its name.

I also like "Bigger than My Body", has a pretty good sound also.:D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]At a concert I went to last year, he actually incorporated several guitar solos into the normal songs on his albums. He'd just create a musical interlude for himself so that he could go off on his guitar for however long. In 83, for example, he stopped in the middle and played "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" for a bit, then switched to "Let's Hear It for the Boy," then moved right back into his song. I consider things like that pretty fun, and if I were a pop star, I know I'd be trying to do things like that too :P[/b][/quote]

[color=indigo]He played a couple of drop solos at the concert that I went to, I seem to remember him doing a brief interlude of "Let's here it for the Boy". He also opened a couple songs with a cover verse, including an "A-Ha" tune that I thought was pretty cool. I love it when artists cover, or at least pay homage to, older songs [b]well[/b].[/color]

[quote][b]I also really like his song "Comfortable," which I've only ever heard live versions of. The fact that it's not repeatedly played on the radio probably helps that song out for me ... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I dated a girl for a few months, and she loved that song. I think she wanted it to relate to us, unfortunatly we had nothing in common...

Anyway, if I had to pick one song it would probably be "My Stupid Mouth" just because I can relate to it so much. I doubt there is a guy out there who hasn't attempted to say something funny or witty to impress a girl and it came out horribly wrong. I also like "Love Song for No One" because I tend to dwell on the "I wonder what would have happened if I had done this" thoughts.[/color]

I think Jon Mayer's pretty decent. His voice is really soft, it's really melodic stuff, you can really slip into a mood listening to him. The thing is, I can't look at him because he scares the **** out of me. There's something about his face and the way his mouth moves that just really gives me this uneasy feeling. . .*shudders*

Previously I've heard him described as a "Dave Matthews Wannabe", which didn't exactly excite me. Between Dave and the Matthew Good Band (which reminds me of Dave Matthews with a heavier twist), I've had enough.

I'm tempted to bother checking this out since some people whose music opinions I actually respect are saying good things in here... but I don't know yet. I still have to buy the new Misfits and Bowie :(

[size=1] This stuff is decent, to say the least...yet I'm not in it too much personally. I don't know. It just doesn't work for me.

I will admit I haven't really given Matthews, Mayer, or anyone of this variety too much of a go...but I don't know. There's definitely just better stuff out there, and I'm poor lol.[/size]

"Guess I'm grounded, got my wings clipped, I'm surrounded, by all this pavement, " Man, I love that song. If anyone is from St.Louis they have probably heard of 98.1, a contemporary 80's and 90's station. I listen to them to get a break from all this hardcore rap crap that you can't even understand, non the less guess why the song was even written. John Mayer is pretty cute too. (am I the first person to say that?) Well, I like "Bigger that my Body" and "georgia". Anyone here like Jason Merez? He reminds me a little of John Mayer in a way.
Cocomi Myojin:angel:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Previously I've heard him described as a "Dave Matthews Wannabe", which didn't exactly excite me. Between Dave and the Matthew Good Band (which reminds me of Dave Matthews with a heavier twist), I've had enough.

I'm tempted to bother checking this out since some people whose music opinions I actually respect are saying good things in here... but I don't know yet. I still have to buy the new Misfits and Bowie :( [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]He is defiantly very similar to Dave in style, they defiantly classify as being in the same genre. I am not sure whether or not you?d like his music Semjaza, you are pretty eclectic ao I guess it wouldn?t surprise me if you liked him [b]or[/b] if you hated him :).

I haven?t picked up the new Bowie album either?I see it at the record store beckoning me every day, but I always forget about it when I am looking at other stuff?[/color]