OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy X-2: I need the down low... is it all girl power?

Kent

Well thats what Ive heard and seen.

Girl power is what extented play had to say.

And game informer said this game strayed from the typical rpg, although Im not really sure what they meant when they gave their bunk complaints.

So I wondered if this game is really any good or if its just a pathetic fan service rpg.

Thanks for the read and response.

btw, try to go into detail about what makes the game good or bad. Please :D

It's fan service nonsense based on everything I've seen. Honestly, in a game were Yuna stops being a summoner to become a pop singer... how much can you expect?

There are some neat things it is trying to do, but they're not enough to convince me to buy it. It actually has some cool ideas, but they seem to be negated by all the things in it that I'm just not into.The extra costumes are nice, but it seemingly is mostly there so you can dress up Yuna and friends however you like. Cosplay, fanservice, whatever.

Plus, I'm hearing it averages about 10 hours all the way through. I don't know how true that is, but I've heard it from people I find trustworthy.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]It's fan service nonsense based on everything I've seen. Honestly, in a game were Yuna stops being a summoner to become a pop singer... how much can you expect?[/b]

[/QUOTE]

[spoiler]actually, from what I understand Yuna isn't a pop star in FFX-2, thats somebody else using a dress sphere to mimic her or something like that (I can't remember exactly). and as for the "stops being a summoner"...DUH! If I remember correctly (and I do) the aeons were sent and the fayth lost their power at the end of FFX, no more summoning period.[/spoiler] but I think it's about time that Square made a sequel to a FF game. sure It probally has a truck load of fan service here and there (spring scene anyone?) but If the gameplay is good what does it matter?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Razzamataz [/i]
[B][spoiler]as for the "stops being a summoner"...DUH! If I remember correctly (and I do) the aeons were sent and the fayth lost their power at the end of FFX, no more summoning period.[/spoiler] [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh well what you said was true but never the less there is some weird stuff goin' on in the new game. [spoiler]In one of the many trailers for the game, we see Bahamut emerge in front of the 3 girls, ready to kick a**.[/spoiler]
I don't how this is possible, but I really want to find out.

As for the game, it doesn't look as good as FFX, but it does have some cool elements.
Elements such as the return of the Job system (dress spheres), and the old ATB meter.:D

Too bad you can only play as 3 party members.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Razzamataz [/i]
[B][spoiler]actually, from what I understand Yuna isn't a pop star in FFX-2, thats somebody else using a dress sphere to mimic her or something like that (I can't remember exactly). and as for the "stops being a summoner"...DUH! If I remember correctly (and I do) the aeons were sent and the fayth lost their power at the end of FFX, no more summoning period.[/spoiler] but I think it's about time that Square made a sequel to a FF game. sure It probally has a truck load of fan service here and there (spring scene anyone?) but If the gameplay is good what does it matter? [/B][/QUOTE]

To be fair, I have seen images of Yuna singing into a microphone and EGM even said she belts out an impromptu pop concert on the deck of an airship. Even if she doesn't literally become a pop singer, the route Square has decided to take with the characters is seemingly evident.

And that's fine depending on your outlook. Personally, I can understand the theme of change and promoting a lighthearted atmosphere. But, there's a fine line between advancing characterization and taking ridiculous liberties. Making the girls playful and free, I can understand due to the liberation of Spira. Dressing them like pop divas is something else entirely different. From my perspective, it totally ruins the Yuna character by disregarding what essentially made her, well, her. If others appreciate the changes, then more power to them.

The mission-based gameplay probably will have a "love it" or "hate it" flavor. Toriyama has said that it's been implemented for gamers who like to play in shorter sessions. So, you can bet that exploration enthusiasts won't be pleased. It was easy to play in short sessions before, so I can only imagine what it's like now.

At least things are more open-ended this time around. Many complained about the linear plot of FFX, so this could be good. Yet, having explored the entire world of FFX, I can't say I'm excited about visiting old locales unless they've been changed significantly. Which, I'm sure they have been. If not, it'll be inexcusable.

Having said all that, I doubt I'll pick up FFX-2. I'm a big fan of the original, but as I said, the changes are a bit much for me. I stayed away from the Charlie's Angels films, so I can't see why I'd be interested in playing this game. And, if I wanted to dress up skimpy female leads, I could have found paradise with a stupid volley ball game long ago.

Obviously she stops being a summoner as it is (they're no longer needed and the former enemies of Spira are now working together), but who cares. It had nothing to do with my point. She stopped being a summoner right? Yes, she did. So I am not stating something correctly? lol Everyone knows the next logical thing for someone of her past it to sing in a concert. It just makes sense.

Give me a break. It's totally moronic. I don't really know what could make that be any less dumb. It just is. I don't know how anyone else feels about that, but that's my opinion and that's all this thread is about. RPGs live off story (even moreso than gameplay in most cases... FF has barely changed in the past decade at its core), and this does not leave me optimistic.

Yes. I know it's not [spoiler] the real Yuna. However, there is a point in the game where she sings about herself with her own voice. Meh.[/spoiler]. I was exaggerating. That's my fault. She still gets on stage and does it, which is what I was referring to sarcastically in the first place.

Whoever told me it was only 10 hours is apparently wrong. Looks more like 30 hours or more, which is good.

I admit I'm interested in the battle system (actually sounds like the best one so far) and I am happy about the return of the job system on some level... but the game just seems so dumb. I realize it's supposed to be really light hearted and non-linear... but for someone like me, who wasn't a fan of FFX in the first place, it is very hard to be optimistic about it.

Well, I can only say - as a person who has spoiled himself totally by reading every dialogue-translations and walkthroughs available from this game - that [i]don't judge a book by it's covers[/i]! FFX-2 may not be as deep as some other FF-games, but it is total eye-candy and a treat for those who are dying to know what happened to the people in FFX. I think pretty much everybody who were still alive at the end of FFX are included in the game in some level. And the costumes - yes, I've seen them all - are just fantastic!

I think you'll find yourself buying the game when you get reviews from people who have played the game when it comes out... ;) I certainly would, if only I had money and PS2 - and I'd live in USA. But you can't have anything in life, can you? :toothy:

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=darkblue]So, what's all commotion about having heroines in an RPG? Why is it so uncommon? Why should it be? Just because the main characters are all female, doesn't mean it's all for fan service and "girl power" bull.

"Oh, so the main character ISN'T a whiny punk who leaves home for revenge for killing so-and-so or something else along those lines--I think we should all make an issue out of it! Oh, no! What're we gonna do? NO HYRBID RPG STORYLINE TO FOLLOW! Bad, bad bad!"

o_O; Well, that's the impression I get when I hear ppl talking about FF X-2. To me, it's just another RPG waiting for me to crack open. And since FF is my favorite series, I don't care what, who, why, or how, but I'm gonna buy it, play it, and love it.

Besides, I'm already a fan of Paine.[/COLOR]

There is no problem with lead female characters. Many games have done this in the past.

The problem is that they are putting them into skin tight bikinis, forcing them to sing pop songs and other such nonsense. Isn't that the definition of fan service, basically?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]There is no problem with lead female characters. Many games have done this in the past.

The problem is that they are putting them into skin tight bikinis, forcing them to sing pop songs and other such nonsense. Isn't that the definition of fan service, basically? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=silver] Even the most desperate and perverted of gamers wouldn't request for an RPG that showed resemblances to [i]DOA: Beach Volleyball[/i] or whatever it's called.

I agree with the fact that there is no problem with lead female characters, there is no difference really for male characters, I suppose stereotypes are what the world of story revolves around.

I think Square Enix have definitely made a change in their production considering this is the first 'modern' actual sequel of a Final Fantasy game, I mean if we look back, a majority of the games revolved around a male lead. (Aside from Terra in FF6, I feel Locke had a major influence on that game)

It is obvious that Square are responding to what the fans have requested like you've all said but I'm sure they had their reasons for changing their main theme, let's bear in mind, the team up with Enix is bound to make a change on the influence.

If I remember correctly, Yuna did reflect majorly on FFX, and also, the way FFX left hardly any options for the team if they were determined to create a sequel to this game. (Why they didn't choose FF7 is beyond me, but even with that, they'd have to change, as we pretty much know what the fate of those characters was).

I agree with your point Sem, about the whole fan mail thing, but I think we are all forgetting that the element of Squaresoft has had a reaction with another team. Too much Chemistry work, sorry. And with that, I go away! *Flies*[/color]

I don't understand what you mean by some of your last comments. Another team? Are you referring to Enix? Enix and Square have yet to work together on a game at all. They're still very different and seperate developmental entities. Enix itself develops very little inhouse, most of it is outsourced. So if you mean that Enix somehow had some influence on FFX-2, I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Enix has yet to make any game like that as it is, and they have many games in the past that have female leads.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you are trying to say. It all seems very confusingly written lol

[color=silver]Yeah I know, sorry. I lead a very confusing entity in this world. Well actually you made it sense and did it justice. To be quite frank I don't know much about the whole Enix role in this plan of joining up, all I know is that FFX-2 has to be influenced by [b]something[/b].

My theory is that we've seen all of those dramatic storylines of moody teenagers or people aspiring to be a hero etc etc, perhaps the whole theme of this is take a step away from the whole melo-drama theme. I mean, watching pop singers is depressing inside (We all know that), but it is a major change from seeing someone get hurt or being hed captive in the very first few scenes of the FF series.

Well not only have I been gratefully corrected, my eyes have stopped hurting. [/color]

Think of it this way even if it turns out upon release to be pure fan service on the plus side the new flashy graphics and cinematics will get a whole new generation of girls and boys playing rpg's. We all had to start playing somewhere and even if we don't like this sequel we can always look forward to FF12 and hope it shines in a way that X and X-2 didn't.

I look at X-2 as something I most likely won't enjoy since I couldn't get into X even after playing through twice. But I also see it as having some interesting additions. Like the costume changes I don't have any desire to dress up a trio of girls in various risque clothing but I've always enjoyed rpg's with characters who's looks change when you upgrade armor and weapons. The job system will also be a nice returning feature anything that adds more depth and longetivity to the gameplay in my opinion is a good thing.

P.S.
Yes I know I didn't really state anything new or answer anyones questions just felt like stating my opinion.:box:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ben Holiday [/i]
[B]Like the costume changes I don't have any desire to dress up a trio of girls in various risque clothing but I've always enjoyed rpg's with characters who's looks change when you upgrade armor and weapons. The job system will also be a nice returning feature anything that adds more depth and longetivity to the gameplay in my opinion is a good thing.[/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Uhm...*coffcoff* this isn't a game [B]based[/B] on 'fan service' and 'dress-up.' Look at it this way--how would you like it if Rikku or Paine were Dark Knights, but they still looked the same; it wouldn't really tie in with the Job system, now, would it?

In any case, as for the fan service...thing...I'm pretty sure Spira is hot as hell, seeing as it is *mostly* tropical, and the only, supposedly, cold spot there is would be Mount Gagazet. I'm just judging the climate by the way people dress in the game, and their habits i.e. water sports.

As my point, I assume they 'normally' dress like that because of the climate. [B]But[/B] that's [B]within[/B] the game, so otherwise, I'm sure it's somewhat fan service, but not fan service-[B]based[/B].

To be honest, I think their Jobs bring about really creative outfits. I mean, as an artist myself in a somewhat similar category, the character design is overwhelming. I wouldn't ever think of coming up with such great designs for clothing.

But, I'm sure it depends on the player's frame of mind whether or not they're gonna play the game for the fan service (gosh, why don't they just call it 'man service'?)~_~...which, in my opinion, closely resembles an uneducated Neanderthal.

Still, I think the character design is excellent. That's about all I can say with the game.

And I'm not even going to [b]comment[/B] much on the singing, but I doubt the staff wanted it to resemble American culture, so I'm not worried.[/COLOR][/SIZE]