OtakuBoards

Cibo Matto + Various Side Projects

Semjaza

Cibo Matto has been a favorite group of mine for quite some time. Ever since I first heard the live version of Birthday Cake around 1996. I wound up getting Viva! La Woman a few years later, which was pretty good stuff. One of the better releases of that year.

Super Relax soon followed in 1997. I never bothered to buy it, as it was just an EP filled mostly with remixes. The acoustic version of Sugar Water is good though.

In 1999 they released what would become their final album, Stereotype A. Thankfully, Stereotype A was even better than Viva! La Woman. I played it constantly then and still do now. It wasn't as guitar driven as Viva! La Woman. Instead concentrating more on beats, samples and other odd sounds to an even greater degree than their last LP.. Really, really great CD.

The group is made up of Miho Hatori on vocals and Yuka Honda who does most of the music. They also have different people work with them, among which was Sean Lennon.

I'm sure some people know Miho from that Gorillaz song 19-2000. She's that one that sings that "Get the cool!
Get the cool shoeshine" part.

She also worked on a side project called Smokey and Miho, which I thought was pretty cool. They basically just play random songs together. They're all in French though. She sings surprisingly well in other languages, perhaps even better than in English. She has a Japanese accent when she sings English.

There were others like Butter08, but I doubt anyone know of them.

So any Cibo Matto fans around?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B] She's that one that sings that "Get the cool!
Get the cool shoeshine" part.

[/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] lol. Just reading that text...it sounds in my head just like it would in the song--all high-voiced, and stuff lol. Yeah, I remember that song and that part of it.

Otherwise I have never ever heard of this band. The names don't ring a bell at all. I don't even seem to remember you yourself mentioning them to me ever. Hm. That's strange to me lol. I'm sure there's a lot of crap you haven't told me music-wise though.

I'll buy Stereotype A when I get some money, and get back to you. Otherwise I can't do much else: I can't download anything, due to the parental controls...so yeah.[/size]

[color=indigo]I was interested to see how this band sounded, so I visited Amazon and caught some blurbs from Stereotype A and Viva! La Woman...but it wasn't enough to spark my intrest too much...

...It looks like I am forced to go buy another one of Semjaza's suggestions..."sigh". Well it has never been money ill spent, all of his suggestions or remarks tend to be true...for example, I bought Kings of Leon, which Semjaza more or less commented on as being "Ehhh?" and it ended up being "ehh?"...he said Apocalypse Hoboken rocked, and they do!...plus I don't have any music that sounds remotly similar to this band...so I'll try it just for variety![/color]

I don't think you'd be disappointed by either of them, if you give them some time. Stereotype A is far more polished and accessible, but it also has quite a different sound compared to Viva! La Woman.

Give it a chance, you'll probably get into it in some form.

• 3 weeks later...
[color=indigo]I am resurrecting an old thread, so feel free to crucify me if you?d like (although the crucification usually occurs before the resurrection).

I finally found [b]Viva! la Woman[/b] and [b]Stereotype A[/b] in an FYI in Cleveland about a week ago. My initial reaction to [b] Viva! la Woman[/b] was one of absolute horror. I thought it was pretty terrible, mainly because of Miho Hatori?s vocals. Halfway through the album, however, I had become a neutral fan, and by the end of the album I was frantically ripping the plastic off [b]Stereotype A[/b] so I could listen to it as well. Although I enjoyed [b]Viva! la Woman[/b] a bit more than [b]Stereotype A[/b] both are enjoyable albums that have the unique quality in which the whole is better than the sum of all its parts. In other words, I doubt that I would listen to one or two songs off of [b] Viva! la Woman[/b], but I love listening to the album in its entirety.

If I was to categorize this band I would say that it resembles Bjork meets the Chemical Brothers, however it really doesn?t sound like either. It sounds unique in a blatantly odd yet incredibly marvelous kind of way. I think that it would defiantly appeal to people that enjoy all different genres of music, especially those that enjoy listening to something that sounds like nothing else.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I finally found [b]Viva! la Woman[/b] and [b]Stereotype A[/b] in an FYI in Cleveland about a week ago. My initial reaction to [b] Viva! la Woman[/b] was one of absolute horror. I thought it was pretty terrible, mainly because of Miho Hatori?s vocals.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Welcome to my world. Most of my favorite bands I disliked at first. This, the Pixies, Marilyn Manson etc. I go through these phases until I arrive at my final decision.

[color=crimson] [size=1]They're pretty good, but my friend lost the files, so I haven't listened to them in a long time. And she doesn't know where to find them since she threw her comp away. It's Juuthena. She doesn't come to these message boards anymore, I think.[/color] [/size]

[color=green]I haven't heard much of their stuff, but I've liked what I heard. My boyfriend, however is a die-hard fan. They really donot sound like anybody else, at least not that I've heard anywhere, and that in and of itself is a welcome attribute.[/color]