OtakuBoards

"To Kill a Mocking Bird"

Mei

[color=green]A discussion about a famous novel, that's what I'm looking for here. I've just recently begun reading this book, and I would absolutely love some opinions and thoughts on it.

I've only just started this book, a school required reading, so I'd prefer no spoilers myself, but this isn't just for me, but for anyone who happens to be curious about the book.^^() What I myself am looking for are likes, dislikes, etc. I'd love this to turn into a basic thread on a basic little book.

"To Kill a Mocking Bird" by Nelle Harper Lee. Fun stuff, eh?[/color]

I read this at the end of last year for 10th grade required reading, and I thought it was a pretty good book for something we had to read in class; much better than Old Man and the Sea, hehehe...man, I hated that book. -__-

Anyway, for those who havn't read the novel, it's about this young girl named Scout who lives with her dad (whom she calls Atticus) and her brother (I believe his name is Jem), and basically grew up as a tom boy. That being said, she hates to wear dresses, is always picking pights at school, and loves running around and getting messy. The book is from her perspective at a very young and curious age, hitting on a particular theme about "not knowing how someone feels until you crawl in their skin and walk around in it." She and her brother, as well as a young boy named Dill, go on adventures in their town throughout the book, as well as go through many important character developments.

I really like how enjoyable this book is, and how all of the incidents throughout the book are random, but in each they develop the story a little more, until the end which doesn't quite completely tie up the novel, but I don't want to spoil anything for you. If some of you are wondering, the reason it's called "To Kill a Mocking Bird" is because the main character, Scout, is told by her father that she may shoot anything except a mocking bird, because all they do is provide good music and it is therefore a sin to kill them. Phew, I have a better memory than I thought..

I'm sure you'll like this book, Rachel, and feel free to talk to me about it anytime if you're ever wondering about something or just want to dicuss it in general. ^_^

[size=1] The thing that still urks me is that Harper Lee hasn't written any other books. Seriously, she isn't a true writer...

I'm sure she has to have written more stuff...but to not publish it since she's become so famous?

I recollect she spents years and years perfecting TKM...and I suppose that's one of the main reasons it's as good as it is. But really, a real writer just doesn't stop writing...amd publishing, if that's in the question.

This book is quite enjoyable, of course. I really think a lot of the incidents in the book actually happened during Harper's childhood and such...I mean, Atticus is said to be based on her father...and I'm supposing a lot of the other characters are probably based on things close in tie with this.

Also, she supposedly just wrote all the different chapters of the book in no certain order...and then tied them all together.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say. It's sad she doesn't write anymore books, really. Ah well.[/size]

I really enjoyed the book, which surprised me for some reason (I enjoyed the movie, too).

I just enjoy the innocence of Scout, Jem and Dill and [spoiler]I thought it was cool how they eventually became friends with Boo Radley at the end - Boo rules and everyone knows it.[/spoiler] It's also strikes upon the issue of racism, which I thought was cool, considering how old the book is. [spoiler]Atticus just fights and fights for what is right and, even though the stupid town still convicts Tom Robinson, you get the feeling that Atticus touched the town in a big way. Too bad that Tom had to die - poor guy.[/spoiler]

So, yeah, it's a great book. Definitely recommended to those who haven't read it.

[color=green]This is one of my favorite books. Atticus Finch is one of the most memorable literary characters I have ever come across. I first read this book in 6th grade and have read it about once a year since.

As for Harper Lee never publishing another work, I think it may be anti-climactic(sp??) as her first novel is [i]so good[/i]. Maybeb she didn't think anything would live up to the standard she had set for herself.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] The thing that still urks me is that Harper Lee hasn't written any other books. Seriously, she isn't a true writer...[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I don't think you can say that someone isn't a true writer just because they only published one novel. She maybe writes in her spare time or as a hobby and doesn't want to publish anything else.

I would consider myself a writer in some senses. I like to write and I love what I turn out most of the time.

That's like saying someone isn't an artist unless they do art that gets big and famous. I don't like that opinion very much. -_-

ANYWHO, as for the novel, I read it in my Contemporary Lit class and at first I didn't like it, but then I found it was okay. For some reason I thought for the longest time that it was narrated by a young BLACK girl (it makes all the different in old novels as such) and then I realized I was getting it mixed up with [i]I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings[/i], which I've never read.

The part that sticks out in my mind the absolute most was when [spoiler]her father, Atticus, had to shoot the rabid dog that was walking around the neighborhood.[/spoiler] It was just freaky and I could imagine myself there in that moment...

We also watched the movie in class, which I really wasn't too fond of.

But it was a good book overall. ^_^[/color][/size]

I read To Kill a Mockingbird for English a few years ago. It's such a wonderful book--very different from what I expected, and surprisingly suspenseful. The characters are all memorable and sympathetic, particularly (as Molleta said) Atticus Finch. I especially enjoyed following all the subplots and watching the characters face complex moral dilemmas.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]I don't think you can say that someone isn't a true writer just because they only published one novel. She maybe writes in her spare time or as a hobby and doesn't want to publish anything else.

I would consider myself a writer in some senses. I like to write and I love what I turn out most of the time.

That's like saying someone isn't an artist unless they do art that gets big and famous. I don't like that opinion very much. -_-

[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] Asuka, I mentioned that she might write in her free time right in my post. I'm not saying she isn't a true writer...but real writers keep writing and don't stop. I meant it rather lightly.

Just consider it. I as a writer see that it's most important to me that people read my stuff. If I were in Harper's shoes, I'd want more of my stuff published, even if it wasn't as good. That doesn't matter. What matters is it's something people will read and like.[/size]

[B][size=1] Asuka, I mentioned that she might write in her free time right in my post. I'm not saying she isn't a true writer...but real writers keep writing and don't stop. I meant it rather lightly.

Just consider it. I as I writer see that it's most important to me that people read my stuff. If I were in Harper's shoes, I'd want more of my stuff published, even if it wasn't as good. That doesn't matter. What matters is it's something people will read and like.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Just having people read your writing does not make you a writer. Writing just so people can read what you write does not make you a writer. If you're only writing for other people to read it, then you're not respecting yourself or the craft.

And you would rather churn out inferior work than wait longer for a brilliant, earth-shattering, ground-breaking piece of literature to be created in your head? Ever hear the phrase..."let the little fish go to get the big fish"?

If you're writing for other people ("what matters is it's something people will read and like"), why are you even writing? Are you even writing for yourself?

I write for myself. First and foremost. I write to amuse myself; I write to provide myself entertainment. If I know I'm having fun reading/writing a story, then that's a good sign my audience will have fun reading it. That's the purpose of being a writer: to write while paying attention to yourself.

Do you...when you're editing a story, do you think, "What will people think of this?" Hopefully not. I know I think "Do I like this? Do I think it works?" I base my writing off of my opinion, not someone else's.

[size=1] Of course I write for myself, mostly. But considering that Harper has one masterpiece of a book, and she has mostly world recognition, wouldn't you think, if I were her, I'd want people to read more of my stuff?

One of the main joys of being a writer is seeing your stuff publshed, I'd say. And seeing people's reactions to your writing.

When I'm writing, I try to be a reader as well as a writer, and I often stop and read back what I wrote, see if the reader side of me likes it.

Sometimes I even write a piece with the intentionsomeone certain reading it, trying to imagine if they'll laugh here, or if they'll smile here, or if they'll do anything here. This is one of the things I enjoy most about writing, seeing what other people think of my writing, and seeing what makes them laugh where I meant it to be funny, and other such things.

If you want a cut reason why I write? I write because I think I am good at it and I want to get even better. Is that good enough?[/size]

[B][size=1] Of course I write for myself, mostly. But considering that Harper has one masterpiece of a book, and she has mostly world recognition, wouldn't you think, if I were her, I'd want people to read more of my stuff?

One of the main joys of being a writer is seeing your stuff publshed, I'd say. And seeing people's reactions to your writing.

When I'm writing, I try to be a reader as well as a writer, and I often stop and read back what I wrote, see if the reader side of me likes it.

Sometimes I even write a piece with the intentionsomeone certain reading it, trying to imagine if they'll laugh here, or if they'll smile here, or if they'll do anything here. This is one of the things I enjoy most about writing, seeing what other people think of my writing, and seeing what makes them laugh where I meant it to be funny, and other such things.

If you want a cut reason why I write? I write because I think I am good at it and I want to get even better. Is that good enough?[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm satisfied.

I write for myself and I always have. Nobody can understand my writing for a reason muehehe. It's me on the page. My thought processes going, my ideas and ideals in that ink. I doubt anybody will understand Passage 50, but I don't care either way. I write for myself. I write to amuse me. If people love my work, cool. If they don't, cool. It doesn't matter to me.

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B]Of course I write for myself, mostly. But considering that Harper has one masterpiece of a book, and she has mostly world recognition, wouldn't you think, if I were her, I'd want people to read more of my stuff?[/B][/QUOTE]

Perhaps Harper was tired of writing. I mean, I myself get sick of editing all the time, and I know that as soon as I start a story, everyhting will be edited the next day, so I shouldn't start if I don't want to stick with it. Perhaps Harper feels she doesn't have that dedication, or she had a story to tell in To Kill a Mocking Bird, and now she's told it, doesn't want to write anything else -- or publish it, rather. I know that if I have a novel of that level, I'd be worried that everything I wrote wouldn't be as good; worse yet, that it'd be compared to my old work.

Eh. There are many plausible reasons -- that's the only one I can think of that would stop me.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Asphyxia [/i]
[B][size=1] I know that if I have a novel of that level, I'd be worried that everything I wrote wouldn't be as good; worse yet, that it'd be compared to my old work.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]That's my stance on the subject, as well.

No matter what she writes, or how she feels about what she writes, people are always going to expect another [i]To Kill a Mockingbird.[/i] Doesn't that lessen whatever else she might have published?

Everyone has different reasons for what they do.

Pieces of writing I consider my personal best, I've hardly shown anyone. Why? Because my purpose in writing them was not so other people could read them. I wrote them for myself, or for a friend. Not to be read and liked by the world, but to accomplish something on a slightly smaller scale.

My point is, everyone has differen reasons for wht they do. Whatever you wish to do with your writing, you may accomplish by having people read it. I think, whatever she wanted to do with that novel, she accomplished it completely by having it published. But that doesn't mean that publishing is for everyone--or even everything a published author writes. [/SIZE]