OtakuBoards

OtakuSennen banners

OtakuSennen

The constant line along the bottom of the animated FLCL banner really bothers me, for some reason. I understand the scratchy frames and such, but ... there's always a line on the right and bottom sides of the banner, and I think that should go. "to not ask" is also off-center, and the pictures could be of better quality, especially since they're so small.

I really like the idea, though, and I agree, the fast pace does suit it. And yes, colored backgrounds would give me a seizure :p.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=midnightblue]Okay, so here is the revised version of the FLCL moving banner.

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=507676[/img]

There's still some work to do with the line at the bottom (Parts of it continue to elude me), and I have a bit of a shading issue, but I'll tweak that later.

Now here is my next banner depicting Sachiel, The Third Angel, of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Actually, I quite like this one. Not as much as the Asuka banner, but this one is up there. I used some strange lighting effect on my brush when going over Sachiel's mask.. Or head.. Or whatever that is on the left side of the banner. It took me a while to find the materials and eliminate the backgrounds. I think it was worth the three hours, though.

Thanks for posting, everyone. I appreciate it.[/color]

I'm very fond of the FLCL banner but it still needs some work. The images are a bit fuzzy and the lines that stick out when some of the shorter images pop up are a bit distracting.

I like the new banner, too. The font looks really good and goes with the whole Evangelion theme. I like the background, too; the blue goes very well with the bright lights at the far left side of the banner.

Great stuff, Sennen.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kyo no Ryu [/i]
[B]Hmmmm, the FLCL banner looks no different to my untrained eye, but its still cool. The third eva banner is pretty cool too. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=midnightblue]Well, I just sort of slowed it down a bit and got rid of some of that black line that was on the bottom. Nothing really that drastic.

I decided that I liked the Sachiel banner I created so much, that I will now use it as my signature's image. And thus, to go along with that, I made a matching Sachiel avatar. I accidentally made it 90 by 80 pixels at first, thus sort of reducing the quality of the image when I downsized it. So, yeah, this one is smaller than the other avatars I have made. 79 by 70 pixels, to be precise.

Still though, I'm using this one for my signature.

*shudders* I need to figure out how to keep pictures more high-resolution when I resize them..[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kyo no Ryu [/i]
[B]That is the hardest avatar to see ever. At first I thought it was just 2 flames. You should have used the other image. Blech. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=midnightblue]Honestly, that was the point of the avatar. At first it really seems like nothing much, but as you look at it its true form appears as if by magic. Or.. Something like that, I guess.

Plus, if you see the first episode of Evangelion, whenever Sachiel's eyes flash something bad happens, most often an explosion comes up somewhere. Thus the two flashes of light coming out of the avatar. And that would be difficult finding a new pic, considering I specifically searched for a picture of Sachiel's main mask just like the one in the avatar and banner.

Nearly everything in my art is intentional. I carefully look over each piece before I post it. The FLCL one somehow slipped by, but whatever.

Oh, and I've been weighed down with a lot of schoolwork for the past two days. That's why there hasn't been a new banner. In case anyone was wondering or cared.

EDIT: Here is my second moving banner, inspired by the Instrumentality Project in Evangelion. Originally I had itrunning at one second per frame, but the guidance of Maladjusted brought me to two seconds per. This one came out well, I think, except for it's a little discolored around the text. That was a side effect of converting the JPEGs to a GIF, I guess. I got rid of what I could, but with the limited tools of Animation Shop Pro 3 it was rather difficult. So enjoy, everyone.[/color]

[color=midnightblue]Sorry I haven't replied in here in the last week or so. Homework in combination with forces out of my control (i.e. poor DSL connections) reigned terror over my computer for seven days or so. But we have a four-day-weekend starting today, so I'll probably put up at least a couple of banners.

Here's a new banner inspired by the Sephriothic Chart from Evangelion. I am pleased with how this worked out for me. I didn't have to worry about any special editing or much cropping, no moving images.. Just a plain old .GIF file.

This isn't one of my favorites, though. Just a bit too plain for my liking.

Oh, and it's 2 seconds per frame and there is little to read, so hopefully I won't get any comments on slowing it down. I thought about that ahead of time.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]I think it looks okay. It is admitedly a bit plain but it's still decent. I especially like the pic of the Sephriothic Chart - looks very good.

A good start seeing as this is only your second (I think) slide show banner. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=midnightblue]Yeah, you are right. It is plain. I have to spread my wings a little more, maybe, and try something new with a slideshow banner.

The Sephriothic Chart banner is my third moving one, actually. Remember the FLCL one, and the Instrumentality Project?

Here is a new avatar for my close friend Shinmaru. He said he just wanted a picture of the Zookeeper from a specific episode of Futurama. So I found the pic (By an amazing stroke of luck) and cropped it.

I know this one is very plain. I didn't want it to be a great one to begin with. ^_^ I was just doing a favor for a friend.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kazuko [/i]
[B]Some suggestions for the Shin avatar,just so you can post you Ring banner:

-Soften it to make it look higher quality
-Add a border

My suggestions for the animated Chart banner were told on AIM. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=midnightblue]Hey, don't give away the secret motive! Well, whatever.

Okay, I'll give it a little border for Shinmaru..

Well anyway, here is my next banner, inspired by the movie "The Ring." It's a pretty straightforward one, but it's not just altrenating frames anymore without transition or movement within the frames. I tweaked some of the frames to give it a very strange, Ring-ish feel.

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=513557[/img]

I plan on constructing a matching avatar as well tomorrow.

EDIT: ..Huh. It seems that the attatchment goes slower than how I have it set. I tried fixing whatever was the problem on Animation Shop Pro 3, but nothing was the matter. Maybe it's just the bandwidth.[/color]

I really like the Ring and Sephriothic Chart ones. You've done so many. Wow. But those two are my favorites. Yes. I really think so. Aww... I can see that you're inproving with practice, how cute. (Sorry if this message makes no sense... look at the time I posted it. 4 something in the morning. I need sleep. Or at least coffee.)

First of all, in case I haven't told you enough, you own me and everyone else for getting me a Zookeeper avatar.

As for the quality of it, it doesn't really matter too much to me; you can improve it if you feel like it, but it's not such a big deal to me. I just wanted a Zookeeper avi :p

As for the Ring banner, I like it. The text goes well with the whole thing and I like the sudden and abrupt transition to the Ring symbol. Cool stuff.

[color=midnightblue]Okay, The Ring has already bored my short attention span, so it's time for a change. And, once again, I am moving back to my Evangelion roots.

This time I scanned in a couple of pages from the Evangelion manga and colorized them. Paint Shop Pro is so amazing.. I couldn't have done anything near this with MSPaint..

Well, both pictures are scans from Evangelion Volume One, and are my favorite pictures from the book.

I used opacity! Rejoice![/color]

Well, judging by the little phrase at the bottom of your sig, you know how little a person using a paint program does. At least, that's the case wtih me. :)

Anyway, the background is a little strange and uninviting, but I guess that helps to accentuate (that's one of my favorite words) the eerie pic. Did you try to put other backgrounds on it?

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AzureWolf [/i]
[B]Well, judging by the little phrase at the bottom of your sig, you know how little a person using a paint program does. At least, that's the case wtih me. :)

Anyway, the background is a little strange and uninviting, but I guess that helps to accentuate (that's one of my favorite words) the eerie pic. Did you try to put other backgrounds on it? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=midnightblue]Opacity is one of those things that is a good effect, but isn't used in every banner.. That surprises me. It's a pretty neat thing. That's not to say every banner should use it-- It depends on the banner. And I'm rambling..

Well, in the original scan of the banner's material, Rei is standing there holding her head with the Geofront behind her. It's pretty far away, and a dark sky (Well, I think it's a dark sky.. That's the downside to black and white manga) takes up most of the image. I wanted to keep that somewhat sad and lonely feeling in the banner.

Oh, and the two-pixel wide banner is meant to represent the borders around frames in manga.. Where I got the image's source.

And the image which spawned the avatar was Rei's head laying on a pillow, thus the white background.

EDIT: Okay, here's a new banner. Geeze, I haven't made one in a while.. Well, anyway, I finally found a decent Excel Saga pic and made a new banner. I was kind of inspired by a new Winamp Skin I got, but the only similarity between the two is the gold-colored layer.. That and a picture of Excel.

I made the Japanese text myself because darn PSP8 doesn't carry Japanese characters.

The text was either going to end up white or light orange, but Kazuko reccomended white.

Enjoy.

EDIT a second time: Thanks to suggestions from various people, I have changed the Excel Saga banner, which is now in my sig.[/color]

[size=1] Oo...I like the Rei banner. ^_^ Mostly the picture, so it would be nice to add a border or a something. For the Excel banner, the Japanese font at the bottom looks sort of bad since it's on a yellow background. *shrugs* Nice banner, though.[/size]

[color=midnightblue]Okay, here is a banner based on the upcoming Final Fantasy XII (Yes, they have already announced it. I bet you didn't see [i]this[/i] one coming). I just cropped an image of one of what appear to be the two main characters, and blurred the sides some. The blur effect shows up on the right side, some.. Oh, and I added some text of my own creation as well.

It kind of does look like she's picking her nose, but in the full picture it's more obvious her hand's just in front of her face some. I'm pretty fond of this one.. It is the First Final Fantasy banner I have ever created.

And also, I would like to thank James for advising me some on the font through AIM.[/color]

Ok, as I said before, your FFXII banner lost all originality and coolness points when you mentioned that she wasn't picking her nose. Sigh, what a disappointment. :o Hopefully it's the first and last Final Fantasy banner you make.

Nah, I'm just kidding with the "first and last" comment (and nothing else :D). I think the size of the banner made it obvious that James was involved. ;) So, did you make that soft effect on the entire picture? That's pretty nice. Still, no border bothers me.

[color=midnightblue]I must thank my dear friend AzureWolf for resurrecting this thread.. Heh, since nobody was replying I've been out of work.

Actually, the picture was somewhat softened before I did anything to it. I just did a blurry "Wind effect", as the call it in Paint Shop Pro 8.

Oh, and I've decided that 200 by 100 pixels is the way to go for my banners. I just think that anything larger just isn't as asthetically pleasing.

--

Okay, here is another banner of mine, that is roughly a motif of what Syk showed me the other day on instant messenger. He showed me this nice banner that he made and said he never used it, for some reason. It was rather inspiring to me, so I made something of a similar style.

I just took a picture of Haruko from FLCL and went over it with some dark blue, then used the various paint brushes in PSP8 to make some nice, transparent, egotystical phrases.

Anyway, this isn't nearly as nice as what Syk showed me. His was far more polished and well-done.

Nevertheless, I am pretty proud of this. Enjoy.[/color]

[color=teal]Ah, it took me a little while to figure out exactly which banner you were refferring to, but I think I know now. Refer to the upload at the bottom of my post. Ironically, I made it upon inspiration of another banner I saw here, hehe.

I think you did exceptionally well on choosing the picture and designing the overall banner, but text is a big thing you really need to work on. Remember, above all else, your text should be clear and easy to read. Here, I can hardly make out the letters in "OtakuSennen" at the very bottom of the banner, and it's quite small even if I could read it.

As for the other text, they seem a little pixelated on the edges, and smoothness is an important thing to work towards as well. Other than that, it's very well done! I'd like to see a version just a little lighter and without the text. :)[/color]

[color=midnightblue]Awesome, I can post a new banner again. People just don't reply to this thread enough.

This next one I am very proud of.. This banner/avatar combo is based on the .hack games, particularly the cover for .hack//Quarantine and some stock image of Aura. This time I used a lot more opacity altering. In the banner I added two almost transparent layers of a bright yellow, then on top of that I placed the barely visible .hack logo. I then blured the word ".hack".. And voila.

The avatar was basically the same. I took the Aura pic, resized it, and pasted it into an 80 by 80 pixel image. I then added two layers of bright yellow (though it didn't come out as well as the banner) and then put that infinity symbol in there one or two times. I wonder why my avatars are never as good as my banners..[/color]