OtakuBoards

A.A. slightly overboard...?

Ben

I've noticed recently that there's been an uncanny amount of "mature" or "R" or "PG-13" rated RPG's being produced in the Recruitment and Adventure Arena. I know that some people enjoy those types of things, and that they have every right to create them, but....what happened to everything else? :p

I'm just slightly concerned about the younger members here on the boards who may want to write. They may not want to be in RPG's with sex, drugs, and violence, but there isn't really much else right about now. I realize that there's not much the Mods or Admins can do about it, but I just wanted it to be brought to everyone's attention.

Kill Adam opened up a totally new genre of RP.

I wouldn't be worried about the influx of Mature or R-rated RPs, hopefully they'll be handled with maturity. It's cool to see RP experimentation, though. People trying new things, not sticking to the same old, same old, opening their minds to new ideas. Good stuff.

[color=#707875]Actually, I really disagree on this point entirely.

Firstly, there seem to be an oddly large number of Pokemon RPGs lately for one thing. And for another...any RPG with mature content needs a warning. If that warning is there, younger members will be aware not to join those RPGs.

Other than that, I encourage younger members to post their own new RPGs if they feel that there aren't any suitable ones for them right now. I don't see this as any kind of "new wave" or permanent fixture...it's just how things are. Some weeks you'll get a few mature RPGs, some weeks you'll get some less mature ones. It happens.[/color]

[size=1]I'd like to see some sort of ratings system established in the Adventure Arena, but maybe I just enjoy sticky threads too much. In either case, ratings such as "Very Adult," "12+" and "Gory," don't exactly give me enough detail about what type of content is presented in the RPG. I'm sure that people will goo back to making RPGs suitable for all ages once the novelty of sex and violence wears off. The novelty of sex and violence [i]does[/i] wear off, doesn't it?

In either case, I'll wait for the current batch of Pokemon RPGs to fade away before I decide to create my own, with lots of sex and violence.

-Shy[/size]

[font=gothic][color=indigo]I'd just like to point out, as a side note, that rpgs with mature content have actually been around quite a while, and so far I haven't heard any greivously offended complaints...As for the novelty of sex and violence, given my opinion that it isn't quite novel to quite a large percentage of the usual crew in the Adventure Arena, it's not really a question of people trying it out, it's a question of incorporating it. I've received quite a few PMs in the past from users asking whether it was alright to post certain things in the arena (which in most cases I responded positively), so the desire to write that kind of thing has been there for a while (I won't ask why...). Given the rather high, in my opinion at least, potential for that kind of thing to become a permanent fixture, a rating system is probably beneficial, but ironing out exactly what consititutes what rating might be annoying. I know quite a few members who don't give a damn about reading violence, but will avoid sex an cursing at all costs. But hey, I don't know anything, I just work here.[/font][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Uncanny amount? I looked at the first 30 RPG topics in A.A. and only 6 of them had any sort of rating on them. That leaves 24 other topics for you to post in that don't contain mature themes. I find that to be far less than an "uncanny amount" and gives you plenty of options. [/B][/QUOTE]

I admit that "uncanny amount" isn't all that accurate. :whoops: I apologize, I overreacted.

[B][QUOTE]And for another...any RPG with mature content needs a warning. If that warning is there, younger members will be aware not to join those RPGs.[/QUOTE][/B]

I wasn't against the warnings, I had just overreacted when I saw that there were several of them that [I]needed[/I] warnings. I was not used to having more than one at any given time.

I'm now inclined to believe that, as was said by Semjaza, James, and Shy, it's just a passing phase. Thanks for the clarification. :toothy:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shy [/i]
[B][size=1]In either case, I'll wait for the current batch of Pokemon RPGs to fade away before I decide to create my own, with lots of sex and violence.

-Shy[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Ahhh, a glorious idea Shy, Pokemon Pleasure Island: watch them battle both in the field and in the bedroom...

sounds like the next million dollar idea for a Fox unreality show, heh[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Ahhh, a glorious idea Shy, Pokemon Pleasure Island: watch them battle both in the field and in the bedroom...

sounds like the next million dollar idea for a Fox unreality show, heh[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[font=gothic][color=indigo]...Don't give them ideas. I have to read all that for God's sake.[/font][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Harlequin [/i]
[B][font=gothic][color=indigo]...Don't give them ideas. I have to read all that for God's sake.[/font][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah Harlequin. I've been having those ideas ever since i make my Kingdom Hearts rpg, if you remember. But..i might not do it..

[size=1]Yea right...[/size] lol