OtakuBoards

Martial Arts

Zen

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

This has proven to be a highly controversial subject on these here boards. But its something that has further and further molded me into the person I am today. It has changed my outlook on life, changed the way I look at everything, and has very much so inhanced my physical stature and ability.

I have for one, studied in the Korean art of TaeKwon Do, the neo-japanese art of Goshinjutsu, and I have boiled it all together with the philosphy of Jeet Kune Do, Art of the Intercepting Fist, which was originally created by the great actor, martial artist, and philospher, Bruce Lee, who is also my hero and my inspiration into martial arts.

I would like to know what others veiws of this subject is. Do you study it? What are your thoughts on it? Do you agree with its ways? Tell me any of your thoughts on it, because this is by far my favorite subject to discuss.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]
TKD was infact created by a General Choi of the South Korean Army, who had studied the art of TaeKyung. When a POW, he studied deeply into different and more Scientific attacks and combined TaeKyung with some Karate. He eventually began teaching other POWs and found a great new martial art.

Its true that the moves can lead to broken bones to those who do not know what there doing or those who are not physically prepared. Some practioners have been know to deliver several kicks from up to 10 feet in the air. So it takes more effort than an amateurs first try.

Your Cousin should watch what she says, because she was very much wrong.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Crimson Spider
Knowing martial arts has a different effect on each person.

I remember school bullies picking on other kids and being cocky just because they were in Martial arts classes. They would go around and pick fights just because they thought they could win. Funny when they would lose, though.

I'm not really into those Martial arts that start up their own religion. Philosophy, yes.

But I really don't mind martial arts. Kinda cool in my opinion. I don't know why people would dis-like them. Their entertaining, and useful.

I wouldn't be able to study martial arts because not only will everyone I know dis-agree with the idea of martial arts, or me doing it, but I am also not too limber. I mean, the only form of combat I would really be able to train in would be Boxing, because I can't kick worth beans.

I study Kung Fu, if not the best martial arts ever.
Why do i say that? well, go ahead, name me a martial arts, ive done it.
And in my 14 years of life...the only martial arts i was into was Kung Fu, and will ever be into.

I work out for it and all, martial arts is very usefull...watch this...sneak behind me!

Personally, I love this subject...Yes, I do study Martial Arts. I had started when I was around 7. I think, the Martial Arts I had started out with had been Te (tay). From what I know one of the best things for beginners. Currently, I'm studying a few others at the moment. But the two I've been studying the longest is Te, Aikido, I'm particularly found of the two.

I think the subject is great. Not only dose it teach self defense but also self discipline. It helps the body and mind to work more together. Marital Arts also often times boosts a person confidence in them self as well.

I do happen to agree with the ways of Martial Arts. Because the philosophies that they are based on are true to anytime. Take for instance the philosopher Lao Tzu. Extremely well known around the world for the philosophy known as Taosism. Or Yin Yang if you will. The harmony and balance, mind and body. Just one of the many philosophies that has a great effect on many Marital Arts. Especially the way of the Eighteen Hands of Lan Ho. A basic structure that influenced the Shaolin Monks. Who are greatly associated with most Martial Arts. Although people often think Marital Arts is to be used as fighting more the self defense it may very will be used for both. Most Marital Arts we're designed to fit it's culture, geography and resources. Not only is it great for the mind and body, but also great for getting a look in other culture's past. Which I think is great.

Alright, now on to the history lesson. For TaeKwon Do anyways.

TaeKwon Do came over to America, in 1957 by Jhoon Rhee. When he came to attend a collage in Texas. At a collage variety show he had broken boards with techniques of TaeKwon Do. Afterwards TaeKwon Do came insanely popular, which was why it was then featured in many movies therefore on. Not only is it featured in movies, but it's also a competitive sport in the US. And included in the Olympic Games.

[color=darkblue]Well, here's a topic that I really like.

Well, I've studied Martial Arts since 16 and I'am now 24. I first began studying Tang Soo Do with Hapkido. I was there for like 2 years and was diagnosed with a heart problem that made me quit these two arts that I adored.

I then found about an old man (yes, the story could do well for a movie, but it is true) and he began teaching Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan to a group of no more that 5 people myself included. Since then, I've seen life in a very diffent way. To me Tai Chi is the best Martial Arts that I've learned. I'm still taking clases and sometimes help my sifu teach others.

Meditating has helped me achieve a very good health status, since I was diagnosed with a heart disease, I have improved very well. Although I don't seem very strong phisically, I find that I'm very well balanced spiritually and internally.[/color]

[color=red]Ani_Freak[/color]

I took aikido for about 6-11 months. Quite the fun art actually. Completely self defensive. Mostly throws, no attacks.

I do hope to get back into the martial arts sometime in my life, when i actually have more time to devote to it. I moved, thats why i had to stop the aikido, because i could not find anyplace that taught it in Texas in my area.

::shrug::

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eugi [/i]
[B]I study Kung Fu, if not the best martial arts ever.
Why do i say that? well, go ahead, name me a martial arts, ive done it.
And in my 14 years of life...the only martial arts i was into was Kung Fu, and will ever be into.

I work out for it and all, martial arts is very usefull...watch this...sneak behind me! [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]
May I ask what form of Kung Fu you study because simply put, Kung fu is anyform of chinese martial arts while there are hundreds of styles, what is you particular style?
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Ah yes Micheal-San, a great topic to be renewed indeed.

Just 2 weeks ago I began my teachings under TaiKwon Do Grandmaster Pyong Kil Ko and I have found it very interesting. I dont know about philosaphy but I find nothing wrong with Martial Arts. And that whole Jeet Kun Doo thing, ya meen flow like water stuff?

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

Yes and no. Flowing like water is a martial arts disapline, but thats not the intentions that Jeet Kune Do uses on water. Jeet Kune Do teaches that one should be like water as in constantely adaptable. If you pour water into a cup, it becomes the cup, pour it into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Think of as this way.

Cup= The opponent and his set fighting style. (Be it whatever.)

Water= The Jeet Kune Do user as he uses his knowledge of several martial arts and attacks to adapt to the fighting style of the opponent.

Jeet Kune Do also teaches that one should be unsubstantial like water. Water cannot be attacked or harmed, pucnhed or grabbed, only over heated, where is it evoporates and recycles itself again. (Meaning self destruction and rehibialtion.) But water can dissolve any form of rock. Water can flow gently and transfer motion (as you put it) or it can crash down furiously (as in an offensive attack.)

Another Jeet Kune Do philosophy is that a martial artist should not bind himself to one style, because by doing that, your forcing yourself to use only the moves that martial art teaches you, when you could really study other martial arts and create a style that suits you and your personal build or prefernces. I personally use TKD's Kicks and stances, Goshinjutsu's grabs and kicks (there are quite a few useful ones in that style), and Boxing's punches and occasionally its footwork is ideal situations. But I use the all around taught knowledge of the bodies pressure points. I know how to make an opponents face go completley numb, to knock him out, and theres a certain spot on that can kill. I also know the points of the body that cause savere pain, but right now, I really only attack the knee caps and solar plexus (down the center of the chest.). I also like arm locks, but striking is more my way. And so thats applying the philosphy, but you can't just go into a martial arts an get your feet wet, and then think you know it, you have to absorb it and then use what is useful, then disguard what is useles to you. You have to be careful.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I use to take marshal arts, I was quit good at it i study TKD for about a year until some disagreements between some kids. But I have a seirous heart condition which when I spare a had to wear a chest pad the prohibit y arm movement and I did sign a waver so I didn't have to wear it. Which made me win more of my sparing matchs. Also i was really limber which made i easier to dodge attacks too. But i would like to start studing them again.

i myself love the whole martial arts shtick, it facinates me, i just love to watch and learn about it, i even learned judo when i was in grade school, a bit karate but very little, i remember nothing of it(now im sorry i didnt continued with it :()
plus i studied a few years in the most leathel form of martial arts:
Krav Maga(which means Contact Battle basicaly)
belive it or not but this technique that was developed here in israel for our army is the most leathel of them all, it combines all the forms of martial arts in the world to one

Guest Drizzt DoUrden
I love Martial Arts. I just started Ja Shin Do a few months ago and I love it! I had taken a mixed form of Karate and some others, I can't remember which ones though, when I was in first grade. Ja Shin Do is really cool^_^. It's helped my endurance a lot and I'm stronger. Although I think my fencing classes have helped me get stronger more than my Ja Shin Do classes have. Of course, Master Baumin hasn't made us start running with weights yet either.. lol... *glances at her teacher nervously*

[COLOR=blue][I]I too study martial arts............. Go-jaru, Ninjitsu, a little Tae Kwon Doe, and my own combination of moves. My dad right now is teaching me what Ibelieve is called Tai-chi. I'm not sure though. And I have been at this for almost 7 years now.[/I][/COLOR]

mmm...

Martial Arts is a wide range of areas, styles, techniques, cultures, and philosophys...in short the word defines itself...Martial - Military Arts. Most of what we practice today was devolped in various temples around china...the most famous being Shaolin Temple - Shaolin Kung Fu, and Wudan Temple - Tai Chi. Most other Oriental Martial arts can be traced back to china - as for most of history china has been the cultural center of Eastern Asia, although their are a number of martial arts orientating from various parts of the world but believe it can be agreed that the most widely practiced are the various oriental styles.

Martial Arts in and of itself is msotly thought of as the external styles - Kung Fu, Karate, Taekwon Do..to name a few..although internal styles - Tai Chi, Baqua, Chikung, Yoga (also to name a few) are becoming more and more popular, esspecially amongest the elder or injured... but it for many centuries was a way of living and thinking. The Martial arts aspect to such a world was merely one faucet, physically training but also training yourself to become disciplined and to learn to quiet your mind (what do you have time to think about when you must fully focus on holding a position even though your legs are screaming for you to stand up and move around?). After many years of discussion with my father (who himself is a 21 year student of Shaolin Kung Fu - the majority of the time spent doing My Jong Law Horn , or Lost Track Fist.) I am inclined to agree with his point of view that the Arts themselves are merely the begining, to deeper mysteries and learnings, which were origionaly why the monks began to learn such arts...aside from defending themselves.

Can I say what they are? a few..Discipline is the most obvious one and can lead to many other things - Discipline gives us the chance to act with clarity, even in the face of raging emotions. Discipline also teaches us paitence, Waiting for the appropate time to speak or act. Martial arts also teaches humility - you are always respecting someone of "higher" status then you, even if its just the teacher and his/her assistants. Depending on your teacher it can also be brought to teach intergrity - Why fight when you already know the outcome, and know the discipline and restraint to understand that fist rarely solve anything...But eventually those with the option turn to the Internal styles - for though the external teach you to use your body and your mind to dominate your body, the internal teach you to channel your Chi...one's internal energy, for multiple purposes. This is where it can be said you esspecially start to delve into the real mystery and philosophy...for the very concept of these arts is a philosophy in and of itself, and to truely practice them you have to accept and understand them.

After all this..I wonder how Martial Arts can be a debated topic on OB...regardless of which style you practice many of the teachings are the same, though some styles put more emphasis on certian things then others, and no one style can be said to be the best, for as you learn when practicing - all moves have a weakness, and can be countered or stoped.

just as a side note...I practice My John Law Horn Kung Fu and have been doing so for 10 years, and have recently begun to dablle in Tai Chi and Baqua (which in our school is kinda a middle point of Tai Chi and Kung Fu, It is both external and Internal).

[color=silver][font=times new roman][b]Well for me my relationship with martial arts didnt start off too well...I took the classes out of obligations when I was in elementary school(It was probably some form of Karate...Belts and such) But quit because I found it too boring(Yeah I was a pretty stupid kid)

Fast forward to about 4 months ago and I found myself wanting to learn about it again. Ive read a few books by Bruce Lee. While his ideas are very good i unfortunatly as a beginer couldnt really apply them all to well so I went with another form that took my interest. Its called Escrima and its a Stick based fighting form from the phillipines(Also you can substitute a sword and dagger combo but im not out to kill anyone...)

I find it very interesting though ive only recently started. I mostly perfer martial arts that use weapons. This might be because of my slight frame(Not so great for grappling) but theres something about using old weapons thats alot of fun.

The best thing ive gotten out of martial arts though has to be the philisophical part of it. It has helped me calm my mind and improve my health. Its quite nice being able to practically will yourself free of a cold or any other various pains you may encounter :cool:

Its a truly wonderful thing to have a clear mind and a healthy body my friends :box: [/color][/font][/b]

I did Tae Kwon Do when I was younger but at the moment I'm studying Renbukan (a style of Karate).

It's cool but it's hard!
Learning all the karta, going for grading in front of a crowd of gawking strangers... and the stretches!
The worst part would have to be stretching. I see people who can do the splits, twist their legs 180 degress. Not me though, I'm about as flexible as an elephant (a dead one at that!)

I'm Currently studying Ninjitsu, tae Kwon Do, Karate, and Judo at my self defense class. Our teacher wanted us to learn more than just one style of martial arts, so that we could be able to fight in most situations.

Personally, I love it! Bruce Lee was my insparation for it when I was about 3 (Yes i was speaking and discovering the value of movies by then) and i'd wanted to learn ever since. And since I've been in the class, i've gotten stronger, and my reflexes are faster. The best part about it though, I'm acually GOOD at it.

Personally, I wanna take Kendo. Unfortunately, the nearest dojo is about two-three hours away, so, no go.

Hey, did anyone see Xtreme Martial Arts on Discovery Channel? My friend is going to be fighting either Mike or Matt from XMA in a Nationals cometition.

[color=sienna][font=comic sans ms][b][i] I'm right now taking Shadokan Karate classes. It's a nice way to clean the mechanism of your muscles. Every bit of your body is working, for example when you're punching you have to let the side of you'r body follow the punch and then slam your butt back into a square with the shoulders as you're twisting the fist on the very end. But besides making all my body muscles from foot to neck work I don't think this technique would do much good for me in an actual fight as no matter how they try, senseys can not teach you a faster reaction. That goes for most martial arts, I think, they all need a set level of reaction and strength to work.

Judo from what I've seen is basicaly the art of... throwing. This might come usefull more then you think as there are a lot of cowardly fighters out there who will try to avoid being punched by... hugging you or grabbing you'r clothes .I should know, that has been my fighting tactic for some time ^_^;

Then there's Bushido, it was once very popular on TV, where I lived. Maybe it's just marketing, but it looked a lot like wrestling You see in America. Like for example there's a move called Boston Crab or Grab, depending on translation. It involves bringing the back of opponent's knees to his back as close as possible. Or there was this guy who had a signature move of a two legged kick into face, oh and the rope brake rule applies there too. Kinda sounds familiar doesn't it? But then Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles come fight with wepons and brag about carrying the ancient art of Bushido. Damn the TV.

I don't know much about Martial Arts philosophy, although I do pass some thought's on it. I believe that every attack has a perfect deffence for it, but you should only use the one you like. Also enjoy the proccess do not just concentrate on getting the results.

Anyways, could anyone recommend some good books that wouldn't be hard to get in Brittain or some websites about martial arts techniques and philosophy, please?[/color][/font][/b][/i]

Guest Zhang_He
I have to know, do any of you guys know of Martial-way.com? they're really extensive on the topic and do you tae kwon do knowers know it was based of of Hwa-rang-do that is what the Korean General studied, then conformed it to the Korean Army, which became Tae kwon do

Sorry bout not responding sooner UnsungHero, but yes I study Ninjitsu. It's pretty cool, we learn how to disarm people, pressure points, places to land a punch (neck, the spot where your ribcages join on your chest) pretty much we learn to do whatever it takes to take down an opponent/s as quickly as possible.

We also learn tumbling, about the chakra's (key points of energy on the body) and self control through using the five elements (just stances that we move slowly from to learn balance and control) And we learn how to use Katana, I struck out on my own to learn how to use Knunchaku. That's basicaliy it with ninjitsu. if I happened to have not answered your question, tell me and I'll try to do better.