OtakuBoards

Who here loves Team Rocket?

Black Kat

Hey! As you can see, I'm a newbie!:) Anyway, I'm a huge Team Rocket lover and I just wanted to know if there were any villian lovers out there like me! You know,if you have your justifications for liking them, it'd be cool to talk about it. This is an edited version of my greeting because now I know that my choice of words wasn't all that great. I'm not trying to start a flame war, I just want your reasons for loving or disliking Team Rocket. Heh! Just a reasonable debate based on facts from the show. I don't want anything to get out of hand, ya' know. Anyway, I just decided to edit this opening statement after the reply from Lady Katana. ^_^' Sorry for bad choice of words!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Black Kat [/i]
[B]Hey! As you can see, I'm a newbie!:) Anyway, I'm a huge Team Rocket lover and I just wanted to know if there were any "lovely charming villian" lovers out there like me! I know there are a lot out there who do and don't, but if you want to rant at me or tell me how much you love them or just start an argument that could lead to a lot of posting, please do! I'm just intersted in getting to know you people better! :D :ball: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]Hey there! As Mod of the forum, welcome to OB.

I just want to fill you in on a couple of things. First off, we really discourage favorites threads that lead to spam, which I can see that this might. I'll give this a fair chance if everyone is able to make decent arguments for or against Team Rocket. I will say this. If Desbreko or myself see any of this:

[b]OMG!11!! JaEMs aer teh coolies!11 I Dont lIke Mewoth, tho. BYe![/b]

This thread will be shut down immediately, and I'll have to put a slight restriction on such threads in the future for a short time.

I hope everyone understands that it's just a precaution. I know every single one of you is capable of writing high quality posts, so just watch yourselves, 'kay?

Also, we don't like people making threads that just "lead to a lot of arguing and posting." Those would be classified as flame wars, pretty much, unless the arguements are at least partly based on some sort of logic. Just try to remember that in the future.[/color]

.....*can't resist*....

[size=4]OMG!11!! JaEMs aer teh coolies!11 I Dont lIke Mewoth, tho. BYe![/size]

....Ahem... now that that is out of my system...
As for villians, they weren't too vilianious, nor threatening. I think they are there strictly to make the shows the full 23 min, nothing more. I mean come on, a guy and a girl oblivious to the fact that they can't live without eachother, carry around some of the weakest pokemon around, get beaten by a CATERPILLAR, and never die or get harmed in an explosion... that's a little much. That's just my take.

Final Verdict: Team Rocket needs to go bye-bye!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah. As much as I hate to agree with you on several points, Team Rocket has many redeeming qualities. For instance, in Pokemon 2000, Jesse, James, and Meowth helped Ash and almost committed suicide to save the world. Also, they're kind of needed. Think about it. If you didn't have bad guys, what would the good guys do? Everything would just be boring. Team Rocket is like the spice in a Cajun gumbo and if that didn't make sense then I'm lost for any more analogies. Phwee!
Anyway, I give Team R., as stupid as they can get some times, two thumbs up! ^________^:smirk:

Guest Crimson Spider
I would rather prefer the ruthlessness of Team Magma/Aqua rather than the flashy failures of big machines from the rocket duo. So I prefer Butch/Cassidy rather than Jessie/James. Their schemes are more... effective.

But Dr. Sebastion is just plain cool. He was fetured in "Raikou: Legend of Thunder." And the eppy with the Red Gyrados. That was the kind of bad guy that I wanted. Someone smart and ruthless. Like a doctor who would infect many innocent people with an incurable plague just to study it's effects.

Yeah. I also liked Bashou and Bunson. They and Butch and Cassidy are more effective. I see your point. I guess the reason I like Team Rocket so much is, they were there in the begining. They're like...the classics, or something to that extent. I do like Team Magma though, but I'm not that fond of Aqua. They probably are more powerful, but like I say Team Rocket was there in the begining. ^_^

[color=red][font=Tempus Sans ITC]

I think they are annoying as hell and they need to be off the show and get Magma and Aqua as the new villians. It is cliche every single episode. They try to steal Pikachu or some other pokemon and they don't get it or they do and they lose Pikachu somehow and then they fly off into the sky with that stupid little twinkle thing at the end. It is just gay and old which really brings down the show. Just my two cents...[/color][/font]

As for the answer to your question, they try to capture Pikachu because it's one of the stronger pokémon. Then again, Team Rocket is quite weak as well, but meh.

Pikachu isn't actually a common pokémon. Pokémon Yellow is an actual spinoff of the show itself, thus why Pikachu follows Ash in the game--until you evolve him that is. Therefore, Pikachu is quite the rare pokémon.

The reason they don't die is, well, they're the villians. Without them, the show would be as boring as a log sitting there rotting away.... Come to think of it, watching a log rot is actually quite the awesome experience. Anyway, that's but one of the many reasons they do not die. Yet another reason, they're the main comedy source. Though the names Jessie and James does resemble one of the most villianious criminals in all of history: Jessie James.

[color=darkblue]Valen is mostly correct.

The reason Musashi and Kojiro (I've been waiting for an excuse to use their Japanese names, lol) chase after Pikachu is due to the second episode of the first season. This was their very first appearance in the series and also the very first time Pikachu shocked them halfway to death, sent them past the horizon, and all that nice stuff.

Due to the power Pikachu displayed at a very young level (Mind, when Pikachu and Ash arrived at Pewter Gym, Ash told Brock he'd been training Pikachu for about two weeks, and Brock replied it was at its cutest stage and therefore, pretty weak. This was even prior to that.), and even though Pikachu got help from the power-supply Pikachu, it was still pretty amazing for it to do everything it did. (Imagine if they would have seen the Spearow fiasco.)

Since it displayed that much power even prior to being evolved to a Raichu, it would be a great prize to give to Giovanni (I feel bad for not knowing his Japanese name....). Their persistance is also apparently tied to Giovanni, especially since all their screw-ups ate into the Team Rocket bank account, and they need Pikachu to make up for everything, though I doubt Giovanni will consider it more than just your average cute-but-worthless Pokémon like he did Togepi.

About them not dying...

Mainly, it's because it's a kid show. Kid shows all over the world defy the laws of nature in some way, shape, or form. (Most animés in general do it, anyway. Oo; ) They won't die because they can't. It'd ruin the whole atmosphere of the show. You notice, as many times as Ash & Co. has been shocked by Pikachu, roasted by various Fire Pokémon, whipped by Grass Pokémon, etc., they've always had some form of injury, but never died. True, it's due in large part that they're the main characters, but then again, it's also tied to the atmosphere of the show. It's just not part of Pokémon.

The main example I can provide is the scene in Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back when Ash was hit by both Mewtwo and Mew's Psychic attacks. He was turned to stone, and could be considered dead. But through the "Magic of the Tears of Pokémon," he was restored back to normal, then again proving people can't die, but if they do, something will happen to bring them back. And though that huge battle reared some ugly injuries, no Pokémon died in combat. Yet more proof of the theory.

In the terms of Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, the Pikachu that follows you around can't be evolved unless you trade it to someone else, then trade it back, unless you use some sort of GameShark code. Trust me, I've tried.[/color]

Yes, well Kosabouro and Yamato are Butch and Cassidy's japanese names. I've heard that Giovanni's is Sasaki. Meowth is Nyase. You know what I find funny though? You have both teams named after two western outlaws and their Japanese names have similar meanings. Musashi and Yamato were sister ships that the Japanes used in WWII. Musashi and Kojiro were the names of rival samurai. In their final battle, Musashi killed Kojiro. If you look at those connections and look at the show, it really comes together about some of the relationships of the characters.
Also, did you know that the Japanese dumbed down Mewtwo Strikes Back? It had a lot of _MORAL_ issues that were dubbed as too mature for its audience. Mewtwo kept contemplating the meaning of its life and Team Rocket never did do one really lame thing in that movie. I wish they didn't screw it up in the U.S. It sounds good in the original version.
Well, that's my two bits for the moment! ^_________^

• 2 weeks later...
[color=indigo][size=1]Jesse and James are the best characters on that whole show at this point. Call them annoying? I'll tell you who's annoying: Pikachu.

The problem is, they've never been made out to be threatening. They need an upgrade in a big way. Maybe if they actually presented a sense of danger, they'd be more appealing. I myself think they're great.

It's funny, but J&J have more than enough material behind them to be complex, deep characters. Jesse was born poor and as a result is determined to rise into wealth via any means neccessary to avoid poverty again; shes' determined to make something of herself. James threw away a life of wealth because his parents refused to allow him to make his own choices; he lives the life of an outlaw as the final act of rebellion.

Compare that to Ash, who raises Pokemon just because, or Gary, who raises Pokemon also just because. J&J have tons of potemntial, but it's never used.

Then you've got Meowth. Now, I like Meowth, but there actually shouldn't be a Meowth. In a fictional universe, we can accept everything as long as the universe follows the rules it's set for itself. Meowth breaks one of those rules; Pokemon don't talk. I know he's got a contrived reason, but they just made it up as an afterthought. If Meowth was a comedic evil sidekick who didn't talk, he'd be welcome. (Then again, Sneasel would make the best Pikachu-anti-thesis.)

Butch, Kassidy and Geovanni don't have their own backstories, but I suppose they could be developed.

I'm not even going to get into the various rumors regarding the Rocket's romance or sexual orientation...

In short, Team Rocket: the best characters on the show, and also the most untapped potential.

Team Rocket's rockin'![/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DragonGirl [/i]
[B]yeah people living in japan are lucky:extra violent anime, more technology....Why are cartoons better in Japan? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]I would suggest putting more thought and meaning into your posts in the future. Comments like this pretty much border on spam.

The reason why cartoons seem better in Japan is due largely to the fact that censorship over there is not nearly as strict in other countries, namely, the US.

Since they allow just about anything (with the exception of the obvious) it would look like cartoons are better in Japan to people. In Japan, however, I heard some children prefer Western cartoons better.

(By the way, kudos, DeathBug. Truly a great response. ^^)[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with Deathbug about Pikachu in a big way. If you take the time to notice, everytime they move to a new region and make new games, Pikachu always stays. Ash has gotten rid of all of his old Pokemon except Pikachu.
I know Pikachu was his starter Pokemon and that they're "bestest friends", but come on! Can't he do like everyone else and get a new one? BTW, I just made up the word bestest to show how disgusting thier relationship is.
Also, everytime they go into a new season, Pikachu is one of the few Pokemon that they keep and Team Rocket gets stupider. Why is this? I'll tell you why.
The younger generation is becoming fascinated with Pokemon just like we were. So, who's side do you think they'll pick? Ash's of course because they think that Team Rocket are just fools and klutzes. The thing about Team Rocket is, there are inner jokes behind them and if you can catch them, they're actually pretty funny. However, there aren't too many older people who are into Pokemon enough to appreciate these inner jokes. At least not where I live and that's in the middle of Nowheresville where everyone thinks anime is lame and wrestling is real. Back to what I was saying.
I'm not that old. If you look at myOtaku site, you can see for yourself, but I understand stuff like this and appreciate it for what it is.
Scoff me if you will, but this and the reasons I have set above are why I am a true Team Rocket lover and will remain that way until I die.
Thank you.

[font=trebuchet MS][color=#518CBD]I've always enjoyed the comic unbelievable idiocy that Team Rocket seem to commit on a daily basis, as they attempt an objective that to me bares a great resemblance to the show [b]Catch the Pigeon[/b] . In any episode have they ever been able to hold on to Pikachu for more than 5 minutes before being thunderbolted in oblivion ? I think not.

In the first few episodes of the first series of Pokémon they actually seemed to know what they were doing and almost successfully robbed the Pokémon Centre of it's native occupants however as the show went on they became the bumbling anti-heroes who were just out to capture Pikachu and turn him over to their Boss Giovanni. Every time they seem to catch new Pokémon the eventually let them go ranging from long time favourites Arbok and Weezing to the new squad of Seviper and Cacnea, and I actually miss those two dunderheads.

I think Team Rocket provide a lot of the comic relief that comes with the show [them and Ash's complete and utter stupidity and Brock's dating issues]. Overall I think the show would be at a loss without them.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
Team Rocket was cool. I liked them for the strategies they made(even though they foiled every time). Things that bothered me was that James was always the loveable guy with a rose yet dumber than a brick wall and Jesse was the smartish one.

THEY NEED TO CHANGE THEIR STARTING! It is SO annoying. Whenever they start and I hear it I turn the channel until they are finished with it. It has been the same one for years and its so annoying! Theres my thoughts:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Xyandar [/i]
[B]THEY NEED TO CHANGE THEIR STARTING! It is SO annoying. Whenever they start and I hear it I turn the channel until they are finished with it. It has been the same one for years and its so annoying![/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Very true, the music has never changed and it is strating to get a bit dull and iritating. I mean they've changed their Pokémon twice already but never their music it just a pity as they could be a little cooler than they are now.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James Goodwin [/i]
[B]I love teaM ROCKET they are the ones that add comedy to pokemon and the only reason i watch it now [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]Now, this is exactly what I didn't want to see. I even said so in the very beginning of this thread (hence why it's important to read through the thread before posting).

When you post something in reply to something like this, you have to give more than just "I like Team Rocket because they're funny." Go a little in-depth with it. I understand it may be hard for younger members, but still.

I know this has only been one person that's done this. That's why this thread hasn't been/won't be closed right now. There have been more than enough intelligent replies to it already.

But I will say this [i]once more[/i], and [i]only once.[/i]

If I see any more posts like this, this thread will be shut down. It's been great so far, and one of the best conversations in this forum for a while (in most aspects). Let's try to keep it that way. [/color]

[color=teal]Well, I guess I can make up for that lack-luster post...

Hmm... Well, during the first few episodes when Team Rocket was introduced, they seemed quite the more ruthless then they do now. I don't know if it was just the different voice actor for James or if it was a trial and error process, but I liked Jesse and James a lot better in the begining. Over time, they slowly lost intellegence and seemed to grow more soft around the edges. They have always tried the same schemes and you think they would learn that if Ash and his friends are in an area to stay away from them. They continued to fail, day in and day out, finally Giovanni decided it was time to add some new flavor to the mix.

Enter Butch and Cassidy. B & C was a great change from the blasting off of Jesse and James. They came in with the same ruthless attitude that their predecessors had and they didn't lose it around the 10th episode. They continued with unusual plots and ploys, they even turned their own kind against them. It just proves that Jesse and James had gotten soft. Instead of working with their fellow Team Rocket members, they were worried about being upstaged (though it seems not that hard to do.)

Other TR members were introduced through various other episodes, none as dim-bulbed as Jesse and James. They all shared that ruthless quality that I love in Team Rocket. I think TR would be a lot better if they dropped Jesse, James, and Meowth. It is just a personal opinion, but I think it would be for the better. I am sorry if I offended any fans of TR Classic here, I am just stating my opinion on it.[/color]

• 5 months later...
Honestly, I have noticed how they've dropped their ruthlessness and the saddest of all things to me is how they constantly save Ash's life. I say that if the kid can't take care of himself, then let him die. Of course that would set a bad example for the children, but hey, that's life for you.

It's about time that society drops the, "Happily ever after," crap and shows kids what really going on in the real world. I know some people who think that it always works out like that and I'm sorry to say that it dosen't.

The seasons of Pokemon have dropped in the ratings now for repetitiveness and I don't watch it anymore except the first few, but it still backs that sappy ending to everything and gives _WAY_ too much optimistic hope.

I've been called a pessimist before, but honestly, TeamRocket should win at least a few times to teach younger people that the world isn't all good and you have to watch your back.

Using Team Rocket as a tool for learning might be a good or bad idea, but I'm putting it out there.

I still love their zanyness, because when you're surrounded by that much stupidity for so long, it can get dry real fast. And although they're supposedly evil, they do teach the value of friendship _WAAAAAAAAY_ more than Moron and the Baka Rangers (Ash & Co.) ever could. They've been through far worse times than the others, so friendship means more to them. I've learned that you can get a lot out of a group of flunky anime criminals, and Team Rocket was the first to show me.

Amen to that. And I'm sorry, 5 seasons of repeating mess-ups and storylines can really get old. The whole Pokemon show has really lost it's flare. I'm a little tired of a quest that is always repeating itself. Now while I really liked Jesse and james in the beginning, don't you think it's a little boring when you can predict the outcome of every fight they're in? I guess if they were smarter I'd like them a little more. But watching them mess up feels like a waste of time.

• 11 months later...
The thing that really irks me is that, although the show thrives on, the potential for a good season has gone from zero to -3000. What I hate are the legendary Pokemon that Ash "mysteriously" always seems to come across.

Making it realistic here for a moment, think about it. What are the chances that one group of socially inept teens are going to find the most rare and elusive creatures out there. Think: Lugia, Ho-Oh, Entei, Suicune, Raiku, Rayquaza, Latios, Latias, the three original legendary birds, Mew, Mewtwo... It just keeps going!

Seriously, there shouldn't be such a repetitive deal with finding these creatures. At least give Team Rocket a chance at some, because if Giovanni really is Ash's dad, he can't be as unlucky as they make him out to be. Where'd Ash get it, his mom? Come on, she met Giovanni in a street gang and got pregnant! That's what they're not tellin' little kids! What they should tell them is, "Now don't go off and join a gang and get pregnant with a child that'll have a brain the size of a cumquat."

On another point about ruthlessness: The Japanese version of Team Rocket has shown us what they truly were/are. Were, because we screwed it up, and 'Are' because they're probably still using them as an example today.

If you've ever seen the banned episodes, you'll know what I mean. In the Safari Zone, Jesse pulled a gun on the warden after he pulled one on the kids for trespassing, one on them for singing badly, and one on Team Rocket for trying to get too close to Dratini. This explains where Ash got his herd of Tauros and James' little play with Jess and Meowth during that episode with Duplica.

The swimsuit episode, I think, would have been hilarious. James flaunts breasts when he wears a rubber women's suit in order to compete with Jess against Misty in a Women's beauty contest. The suit pops and Ash's mom wins. First off, WHO WAS JUDGING THAT CONTEST, OAK? HE'S THE ONLY ONE I KNOW THAT HAS THE HOTS FOR THE TWERP'S MOM! Second: This episode explains why his mother is holding a trophy at the end of Hypno's Naptime.

Most of the episodes they've cut involve great Team Rocket parts, and that's unjust to me.

Also, bad dubbing has worsened the jokes. The least they could have done in one episode was not leave the obvious vulgar reference in one of the Team's mottos.

Jesse: "---chaffing and itching..."
James:" Maybe it'll stop all Jesse's...complaining."

This does not rhyme, folks, and we all know what was originally said. What I ask is this. Why don't they reword the entire thing instead of leaving it in total ruin? :animeangr We all know, or at least we should. I know it's not content suitable for most children, but dubbing shows that weren't made for small children to begin with, just to suit their age group, is the worst I've ever seen.

Well, this has been my nightly rant. Kudos to those that replied to this thread! ^_~ :catgirl: