OtakuBoards

Oldies Coming Back!?

Arie

Lately I have been hearing a whole bunch of people listining to a lot of old artists. I'v come to like quite a lot of artists like "Black Sabbath" ACDC" "Metallica" and much more. they're not my fav I really like hard rock like "P.O.D." "Linkin Park" "Trapt" and stuff like that. What do you think about the oldies coming back?

[size=1][color=darkblue]Yes, I don't think they ever really died. All of the one's you mentioned have always seemed to be popular. Well, they havn't died out around here anyway. ^^ Metallica is friggin' awsome and always has. Many bands shall never die to me! Some bands just seem to always stay at the top. But honestly, I don't think they will die for a long time.[/color][/size]

It's probably a passing thing. I see this happen every so often and then it dies down again. The funny thing is that even during it all half the new fans can't even name more than a handful of songs anyway... at least they're into bands that helped start it up, I guess.

What i've seen happen, more than once reacently is that the new bands just re-due the awesome songs someone else has already done.....like they can't think of anything new. I think people her this song, and remember the band that actually sang it the first time (at least i do). Plus, some groups...aka...the beatles...metallica..ect. will never die out because there will always be fans to support their music. All though the group may have split up or something, thier music lives on....why? because people still love to listen to it. And they have defeintely shaped the way music is made today. I mean what would we do without groups such as the beatles and metallica? there definately wouldn't be any Linkin Park!!! :)

Guest rttocs77
I think they are running out of ideas for their own songs. It also seems like a lot of people are remaking 80's songs like:

Orgy- Blue Monday (was a New Order song)
Limp Bizkit- Faith (was a Georgie Mike song)
Jessica Simpson and some song she did.

There are plenty more.

[size=1]When I saw the thread title, I thought you meant [i]oldies[/i] oldies, heh.

I honestly know next to nothing about music, old [i]or[/i] new. I listen to some of my mom's CDs sometimes, but I don't necessarily know what they'd be classified as, heh.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rttocs77 [/i]
[B]I think they are running out of ideas for their own songs. It also seems like a lot of people are remaking 80's songs like:

There are plenty more. [/B][/QUOTE]

Covers are as old as bands themselves, basically. I guess I'd attribute some of it to that, but not a lot. There's literally thousands of cover songs about that are easy to find, and I'm sure many are from the 80s.

If a song does overly well, I guess it can help the original band out... but based on my experience most people don't even realize it isn't the cover band's song. Limp Bizkit with The Who's Behind Blue Eyes for example. Or Nirvana with Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World. On the other hand, it does help some bands out. Metallica did a few Misfits covers awhile back which got them a bit more into the spotlight.

I don't think I'd attribute much to that, especially because I can't think of anyone in particular covering the bands that were mentioned in the first post.

First of all, 80's isn't oldies!!!!! That is classic rock. It doesn't qualify as oldies until you get to the seventies. I hate people who claim to like oldies music but only know Can't Buy Me Love or Paranoid. It's like a stock portfolio. DIVERSIFY. The people who say that the only good music is rock or punk or grunge need to open their minds a little. There was music before Good Charlotte. Who, by the way, sucks major donkey ****. Being an oldies fan isn't a new fad. Its been around since oldies have been around. It's not going away any time soon...
[color=red][b]

-we want the funk-[/b][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arie§ [/i]
[B] I really like hard rock like "P.O.D." "Linkin Park" "Trapt" and stuff like that. What do you think about the oldies coming back? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]First of all, POD, Linkin Park, and Trapt are not hard rock.[/color][/size]

[quote][i]Originally posted by rttocs77[/i]
[b]I think they are running out of ideas for their own songs. It also seems like a lot of people are remaking 80's songs like:

There are plenty more.[/b][/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Most people don't even realize that they are remaking the song. And bands don't just remake songs because they are running out of ideas. They remake songs because it may be a song they liked and wanted to give it their own personal flair. There's really nothing wrong with that idea, unless of course, we're talking about Elvis.

[Tangent]Everyone calls Elvis the king of Rock and Roll, but I think that is bullcrap. The songs that he was made famous for were songs that had already been out for years, but they had just been done by black artists. Here comes this white guy along, remakes all the blues songs, and suddenly he's the "king" of this "new" type of music. Give me a freaking break.[/tangent][/color][/size]

[b]
[QUOTE][Tangent]Everyone calls Elvis the king of Rock and Roll, but I think that is bullcrap. The songs that he was made famous for were songs that had already been out for years, but they had just been done by black artists. Here comes this white guy along, remakes all the blues songs, and suddenly he's the "king" of this "new" type of music. Give me a freaking break.[/tangent][/b][/quote]
[size=1][b]
Alright. This made me mad. The songs he sang that were supposedly first with black artist that made him famous just simply isn't true. It wasn't the music so much as it was his looks and stage presence. The main reason he got so famous is because he was the original rebel sex symbol. He was listened to simply because he wasn't supposed to be listened to.

Everyone knows that the blues were pretty much invented by black culture. Just because someone else wrote the song and just happened to be black doesn't mean that a white guy with an amazing voice can't make the song famous.

Plus, most of his number one hits were originals.

One more point I would like to make is that if someody tried to do Elvis' songs today, they wouldn't be anywhere near as succesful as the 'originals'. Because he was the one that started the revolution in rock n' roll in America and just can't be copied. Even if it wasn't him that started the revolution, it would have been someone else. And they would be just as famous as him for doing it.

Can you tell I'm an Elvis fan? [/b][/size] :cool:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]First of all, POD, Linkin Park, and Trapt are not hard rock.[/color][/size]
[/B][/QUOTE]

Amen sister.

And i'd agree with semjaza on the fact that they often come back for a while and die down, but yes, metallica are legendary and will always do well.

[color=hotpink][size=1]I like Metallica and I appreciate the music they've put out. I think that they are what has inspired alot of current musicians out there. I know a few people personally who credit Metallica for their undying love of music. They put "hard rock" out there better than anyone else really, and they're still around and kicking. Their new music may not be what it used to, but I think that's just how the evolution of things goes. No one sounds exactly the same way forever, especially when you've been around for about three decades.[/color][/size]