OtakuBoards

gt is this a joke

Rin Yhun

i am a true fan of dragonball and dbz but i was unhappy when i found out that gt is not by the orginal author akira toriyama!
i watched the show and found it well done but it did not have that akira toriyama feel. the one where you know that goku's at breaking oint and you can't wait to see his anger change into power. i dunno maybe it's just me but i miss the real dbz by the real author!

• 2 weeks later...
[color=red][size=1]Toriyama was never ripped off. In fact, he's said many times he has a great respect for the people who moved on and made GT.

The studio that made them had the rights to make new series without Toriyama's consent, and took advantage of it. They simply weren't able to top the popularity of DBZ.

And though I've never seen it myself, several fans will tell you DBGT gets much better towards the end.

--Chris[/color][/size]

I dunno what you're all talking about...

Toriyama did alot of work on GT. He was lead character designer on the series. GT may have not been written by Toriyama, but it definantly wasn't stopped by him.

GT in itself was only supposed to be 40 or so episodes, but due to the release of the video game DragonBall: Final Bout, the series was prolonged to the 64 or whatever episodes now.

I didn't think the series was that bad... if you're a DB fan, you'll like GT, no matter what or who wrote it.

For some reason, i find myself running away from the tv when GT is on. I saw the first eposide, and i guess i thought to myself that it would be another dragonball all over again. DOn't get me wrong...I LOVE dragonball. I just thought it would be the same plot. Maybe its because GT trunks just pisses me off. I mean why couldn't he be as cool as future trunks? I've also heard that it gets better at the end, which is what I'm waiting for. I just don't understand these robot people....

I love Dbz and I totally can't say that I hate GT i agree that Akira Toriyama should have had the story design. I think that GT lacks the full down low of Dbz. Dbz had it all and you could feel drawn in just by watching that lousy guy tell you what happened on the last episode but GT does not have that feel. I dunno but Gt needs the feel of Dbz!

I know i'm rambling but Dbz rules Gt you got a long way to go!!!

I think of GT in halves(before episode 25 and after it)In the first half, I think that the studio that made GT tried to take a couple of creative licences with the show until it had just warped into a poor facsimile of dragonball with some super saiyans thrown in. The second half was much better, but it was improved too late in the game to completely redeem the show.

GT is no joke. It's just a way to make a lot of money. I think they could've done a much better job, they would've gotten more money that way, too. I don't understand their logic.
DragonBallZ has suspense, GT just doesn't drag it out like it should.
There are a few good episodes, granted, but what the heck is up with Gohan and Goten almost being destroyed by Goku with only One kamah wave? I could understand Goten, but Gohan? He's suposed to be stronger than that! The strength and power system is all messed up.
That being said, I did enjoy Vegita being taken over by Baby. That was good. And the whole "Goku's stuck in a game of chance and can't use his powers" was original, and kind of funny.
So yeah, GT has it's redeeming qualities. Still, it could've been much, Much better.

Guest Inuyasha7575
I think GT is good but like others have said it cannot compete with DBZ it was more exciting and had more of a plot or story line something kind of missing in GT most of the time its mostly fighting or arguing in GT.

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]Akira Toriyama had absolutely no involvement with Dragon Ball GT, but TOEI Animation (the animation studio responsible for GT) asked for his approval. Toriyama did have a sibling working in the series, but the only thing he intervened with was Vegeta's moustache. Akira Toriyama did not seem to like it... good call, in my view. Lastly, by that time it was plainly obvious that Toriyama did not want to continue on with the story. In reality, he wanted to stop after the Freezer saga, but the growing popularity of Goku and friends pushed him to create the Cell and Buu sagas.

Dragon Ball GT is quite different than Dragon Ball Z. Whether it's for better or worse is anybody's opinion. Personally, I think it was a step down from the DBZ anime. In DBZ, all characters have extremely important and interesting roles to play in the story. Trunks, Gohan, Vegeta and Piccolo are all embraced by fans because of their key actions in the plot. In GT however, all these characters become secondary. Gohan is weak, Goten and Trunks grew out of their fighting enthusiasm, Piccolo [spoiler]dies and is almost never heard from again[/spoiler] and Vegeta [spoiler]was demoted to actually admitting and accepting happily that Goku is forever stronger than the Saiyajin Prince[/spoiler]. Strangely, we never see the return of Future Trunks, either, but instead we're doomed to watch reappearances of characters that we never truly cared for back in the first two series. The focus that had always remained on the rest of the Saiyajins and Piccolo was all accumulated and transported to Pan. Yes, Pan. Boring, annoying, ridiculous Pan. Goku's kid transformation and Pan's constant exposure are the main factors that exemplify the producers (failed) attempts at going back to the original DB story. Since it didn't work, they went with the Baby storyline to try and draw fans of DBZ (and continued to do so with Super Android 17), but the watered-down versions of Vegeta and company did not help matters.

However, if you manage to accept its overwhelming differences, the ending is extremely pleasant. I watched it at 17, and I admit I couldn't stop from crying heavily. You can argue a lot of things about the show, but if there's one thing you should appreciate it's the ending. It's an emotional tribute and reward to fans who've stuck with the show ever since we first saw Goku and Bulma cross paths way back in the first episode of Dragon Ball. Believe me, it's worth the wait.[/color][/font]

there are a number of irritaing problems with GT and i am of course talking about the dubbed version (the japanese verision was probablya tiny bit more bearable :) )....

1: Wait a second, why is gohan using a Super Saiya-jin level? Possibley the most annoying error i have ever seen... and his nerdiness!!! arghh!!!

2: The voices.... One word... Vegeta.... *goes away and cries*

3: Pan, this girl is extremely lucky that Gohan and Videl didn't have a child before her, as she would have been such an annoying lil' brat that the other kid would one day be seen in front of a huge smoking crater saying : "she just wouldn't SHUT UP!!!"

4: The weakness of Trunks: Why, oh lord WHY?!?! (Don't give any of that he didn't have the edge like the other Trunks, cause thats no excuse, he was was strong back as a kid in Z from the looks of it. He now has a total LACK OF BATTLE SENSE!!!) I loved Trunks, but just like every single character, the makers of GT defouled them... (defouled?!?!)

I can think of more but i'll just get too angry to control myself... :)

I dont think GT is good. The first time I saw the show, I was so disapointed. First off, I think the characters are nerds, and the whole thing about technology, I hate it. I love DBZ, when they were half the time or almost all the episode, fighting someone, and at the end of the episode I'd want to see so much more. But DBGT just doesn't cut it for me! Though I still watch the show:) I dont like how different it is.

Guest karrari
I new GT was bad but i didnt know it wasnt created by the all powerfull Akira Toriyama. No wonder it royally sucks!!

[COLOR="#004a6f"]Dragonball GT only recently came out on YTV, a Canadian channel. So far I don't really like it. It doesn't have the "DBZ feel" as some of you say. The style of drawing looks different, especially when I look at scenery. And the characters appear alot weaker than they should be. They don't display their incredible power like they did in DBZ, the power that's able to split the earth and destroy mountains. The fighting is less intense. But... these are only the first few episodes, some say it gets alot better in later episodes, so we have that to look forwrd to. I've heard goku reaches a power level close to 1 billion, that should be interesting, not to mention Super Saiyan 4. That would be sweet to see.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...