OtakuBoards

The Blackness Inside

Corey

[color=2244CC][size=1]Bet you thought this was some kind of depression thread or something.

Actually, the blackness I'm talking about is burnt food.
And the inside is the oven.

It's strange how thread ideas come to you sometimes.

I'm sitting here in a houseful of smoke while my parents argue about whos fault it was that the Scalloped Potatoes burned.

So, what kind of dinners have burned in your house. What was the damage, if any. What dish was it. How bad was the smoke, on a scale from accidently inhaling a blown out canlde to New York City after a 120degree summer day when the smog is as thick as the **** flowing into Lake Michigan.

And I don't mean to offend anyone that has had their house burn down from a flamming fowl or a platter of charred cookies.[/size][/color]

[color=royalblue]I torched a roast and accidentally left the wrong food thermometer in it. Meanwhile the metal slowly began to degenerate, the glass on the outside of the thermometer exploded, and the roast became a hunk of carbon.

Needless to say, that was the end of THAT particular Christmas dinner. We ate the ham from the other oven and vowed to never use a meat thermometer again.[/color]

One summer day, my mom was baking a spinach pie. For some reason, it decided to spontaneously combust shortly after she'd opened the oven door to remove it. Although there was little smoke, it was a bit unsettling to see flames exploding from the carcass of what had formerly been a fairly innocuous piece of food.

If I recall correctly, we ended up eating Cheerios for dinner instead.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=green]I'm the worst cook I know. As a result, I've burned more than my fair share of food.

Most recently was a frozen pizza. I left the cardboard under the pizza when I put it in. Unfortunately that caused the whole thing to catch fire.

Oops... [/COLOR]

[color=crimson]Don't get me started!
I used to work in a cafeteria and did the cooking.
I burnt Cream of Tomato soup
Clam Chowder
Split Pea Soup
Cream of Chicken Soup
Cookies
and Biscuits
As for living at home and burning things here's a complete list from being single to being married.
Buscuits
Dressing
a turkey
milk
cookies
pumpkin pie
potatos
eggs
pancakes
and toast.
I know you want to know, how do you burn milk, very easily. You put it in a pan on the stove and forget about it![/color]
[color=red][b]Oh, and Boba is never allowed to use a stove at my house![/b][/color]

I'm afraid to cook because I know I'll mess something up. The last thing I messed up with was Rice Krispies Treats. The last thing that was really burned in my house was actually toast. My mom was making toast and I was on the computer. The next thing I know, my mom goes "OH!" and when I turned around, the toaster's on fire and she's putting it in the sink to put water on the fire. Needless to say the toast was pretty, well, toasted.

Why that toaster suddenly caught on fire is beyond me.

[FONT=arial]all of my bad cooking incidents involved microwaves. ...well, technically I wasn't really cooking....bah. anywho, a long, long time ago, I forgot to take my spoon out of my bowl of soup before putting it in the microwave. that kinda sucked >.<' . sometime later on, I put a packet of Poptarts in the microwave with the foil still on (also caused by forgetfulness). that one actually did cause a small fire. burned the poptarts. they didn't taste too great.[/FONT]

[color=#707875]I've never had any major cooking mishaps myself...I've always been pretty good at cooking, though I've never actually learned how to cook a huge variety of foods. I can get by, I guess.

In any case...the microwave practically exploded in the kitchen at my school a couple of months ago. Someone had left something in there for [i]way[/i] too long and the entire thing was emitting clouds of black smoke from its rear. So it got very nasty. The fire brigade was called, but luckily there wasn't too much damage (other than on the microwave itself).

Of course, the entire kitchen smelt of burnt rubber for about two weeks afterwards. It wasn't fun.[/color]

Once, my mom was mixing sugar in water by heating it over a stove; it was meant to be food for the hummingbirds that lived around our house. But she forgot about it when she put it on the stove, and two hours later, the smoke detector went off and smoke filled the house. We discovered that the pot we were using was full of carbon which we had a hard time getting out! (Yes, a VERY hard time.) We finally got rid of the smoke by opening the windows and turning the fan on, but my mom said she "burned up the house".

[size=1]....I've burned coffee. Honest. My dad used to work nights, so every afternoon/evening, my sister and I would make his "lunch" and get his coffee ready.

We had one of those percolator coffee pots--not anything automatic, but you put the filter in the top, then the coffee schtuff, then poured water over the whole thing thing and let it sit on the stove until it "perked."

One evening, Dad was in a rather frustrated mood, and my sister and I were a little out-of-sorts. We forgot to pour the water in the coffee pot, and just put the flame on. ...It didn't turn out very well.

The most amusing thing that I've done probably involved those little rolls that come in a cardboard can. You know, you "pop" the canister open by twisting it, and the rolls all seperate, and you put them in the oven for twelve minutes or whatever.

I put them in the oven, and promptly forgot about them. ...Now, they didn't [i]burn[/i], exactly (never caught flames), but they did turn into lumps of carbon reminiscent of dinosaur eggs...

Oh, and yes: our clothes dryer caught fire last Christmas. I maintain that it was not my fault, but you never know. [/size]

[color=indigo]Besides the random piece of occasional blackened toast, I have only once burned food. When I was a freshman in college I bought my first George Foreman grill for my dorm room (if you are young and you cook for yourself buy a George Foreman grill, they are soooo awesome for quick food). When I brought it home I threw on a piece of raw chicken. I then left my room for about ten minutes while it was cooking. Needless to say I returned to a piece of charcoal?George Foreman doesn?t play around.[/color]

I can cook, but I don't do it often. I remember one time I was making tea in the microwave; I forgot to put water in it. The cup cracked; but all as well, nothing spontaneously combusted. Now, something akin to a nucular meltdown occured with my cousin a few years back. He decided to put a G.I. Joe in the microwave... that was memorable...

The most things that burn at my house is french fries. The worst time is when Mama worked late and Daddy decided to cook french fries. Me and my brother were watching a movie in my bedroom (We were little, I was like, 7 and my bro. was 4). Daddy left the fries and went to watch TV in the living room, and fell asleep. (It was around 9 or 10 PM) The next thing I know, all the fire alarms were going off in the house and Daddy had run in the bedroom and grabbed us both and ran outside. We had to go through the kitchen to get out and the whole kitchen was on fire. Daddy put us in the truck and ran back inside. I could see him through the window. He used up two fire extinguishers, then ran out the back door and brought in the water hose. He put out the kitchen with that. After making sure everything was safe, he brought us back inside. ............He didn't cook anything for a while after that.
I also caught cookies on fire in the microwave.