OtakuBoards

So I had this pain...

Shaun

My mouth has been hurting for a long time now. I thought it was just normal from my wisdom teeth comming in. Turns out that they came in, and then the gums grew back over them on the bottom two. However the top two came in completely sideways and they've gashed my jaw open. Mom took one look at it and gasped at this hole in the side of my mouth. =/ I go Monday to find out how many teeth they're going to cut out. Have any of you gone through anything like this?

~~~my first post in OB lounge since my return :p ~~~

Actually no... I went to the dentist... he did the ex-ray. Saw my wisdom teeth and went... "AH HAH! They havent formed roots yet so its best we get them out before they get impacted and gro roots."

So i go in monday to have them removed... all four of them. What sucks is i hate things on my face so they arent gonna have a happy time doing the laughing gas thing... *sigh* you should have seen me when they removed my tonsils... It took a few people to hold me down from struggling.... or at least thats how i remember it. Evil cold table and three people. A mask and me...Ugh.... i still hate the "were gonna calm you down" or "knock you out to do this."

Ugh.

[color=003333][size=1]Mine were so impacted they had to drill them in half before yanking them. And I had no gas. Just a couple needles of novacaine that wasn't quite enough. When they drilled, I screamed.

Anyway, I've never even heard of something like that happening.

And I'm rather shocked to know that you waited as long as you did. How could you not have known something was wrong? Teeth aren't supposed to grow sideways. I'm sorry, but that just dumbfounds me.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KnightOfTheRose [/i]
[B][color=003333][size=1]Mine were so impacted they had to drill them in half before yanking them. And I had no gas. Just a couple needles of novacaine that wasn't quite enough. When they drilled, I screamed.

Anyway, I've never even heard of something like that happening.

And I'm rather shocked to know that you waited as long as you did. How could you not have known something was wrong? Teeth aren't supposed to grow sideways. I'm sorry, but that just dumbfounds me.[/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

They only just came in...I'm late =/ My mom's did the same thing though...weird.
I have to be put under and have them cut out. fun fun.

[size=1]Dentistry seems it would be such a depressing profession...

When I was little--first grade and whatnot--I never lost my two top front teeth. They never came out, heh. The dentist finally pulled them out when I was nine or ten...and then the "adult" teeth never grew in to replace the missing ones.

It turned out that instead of having two normal teeth up in my mouth, I had [i]four[/i] teeth that were joined together, preventing any of them from coming though. I had to have oral surgery to get the extras removed. It's no fun having stitches in the front of your mouth, ergh.

I've had some form of braces/retainer ever since then, and recently discovered the my wisdom teeth are growing perpendicular to the way they should be. ...So those are getting pulled some time in January. Fun stuff.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shaun [/i]
[B]They only just came in...I'm late =/[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=003333][size=1]Late or not, teeth take a while to come in. It's not an overnight thing. You had to have known something was wrong before now.[/size][/color]

Wow......That must have really hurt. I'm not going to get mine yet, but I will. I'm 13 and my mom said I'll get it between 14 and 18. But now that you just said what happened to you, YOU SCARED THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME! But my mom said that you'll be asleep so you won't feel anything. So don't worry.

[color=#707875]Well, I have six impacted wisdom teeth. Ouch. X_X

They were checked a few years ago...and the dentist said that they might move a little and then stop and be okay. Two of them have grown through...and now they seem to have stopped moving completely.

So if they stay still, they should be alright. If not, I'll have to go to hospital to have them all removed at once. Bleh.

I feel your pain...even though I'm not quite at the stage you're at. I hope everything goes well for you; it'll be such a relief to have them gone! ^_^[/color]

Hmmm. I will need braces. My jaw is wonky. First of all, a few years ago I had plates to lengthen and widen my lower jaw and to restrict my top one.

Now I will ened braces to move my jaw over and make it longer again. Bleh. Do braces hurt? I'm scared.

Apparently my condition is a retrognathic jaw.

Sorry for you man... I hope that maybe I'll stay dumb and not get wisdom teeth. lol.

i had a problem like that not long ago.....my wisdom teeth havnt grown through yet but i think they tried to push through but my gums went up with them, soon the gum at the back was alot higher than usual and i couldnt chew, thankfully it only lasted a week then it went down....so im not really sure what happened

ugh, im scared 0.0...my wisdom teeth haven't started growing in yet, but im sure ill be terified. my brother got his removed without novaqain, can't imagine why, but then he's always been kinda wierd.

awww, poow bawon! braces don't hurt much as long as you keep the wax on so the metal doesnt tair up your gums.

Yikes! My Dad's a Authodontist (sp?) and after these tales I'm beginning to be afraid of him...

I've never had anything [i]that[/i] extreme *shudder* happen to me. I've had my gums numbed (by an injection) and I had 2 teeth taken out, I think the technical term for the teeth are lower 5s. After x~mas I'm going to have braces, what a great Birthday present! :rolleyes:

My wisdom teeth came through with no problems at all.

Though I got another problem, with those teeth in line after the wisdom teeth... "tearers" or something. Yeah, they've grown through too far to one side, and have slightly been pushing against the teeth in the front of my mouth. Every morning, I wake up with a feeling that irritates me so much. You know how when you eat something frozen cold, like an ice-block, and then wit something hot, or maybe vice-versa.... anyway, you know how your teeth feel all weird and seems to sting? I have to wake up with that every morning... but that don't matter no more, I've grown to live with it. It's basically an everyday thing, that I've put up with for the last six years, so I don't really care. Except when I get up for a feed early in the morning... :smoke:

Maybe it's me, but trying to give gaseous anesthesy when working in your [b]mouth[/b] sounds a bit stupid to me.

I had to get 8 wisdom teeth (2 above and below on each side of my mouth) a couple years ago. It took so long I was given intraveinous anesthesy. It's quite amazing how my jaws/cheeks swelled afterward... For a couple of day I could only eat with a straw.

My sister still call me occasionaly "my little squirrel" :blush:

Oh my God, this thread is so very disturbing to read through. I have heard dentistry is the most depressing profession, but probably not from a very reputable source.

Anyway, I'm 19 and my wisdom teeth haven't yet grown in. I'm seriously hoping they just don't. I don't mind being "unwise" if I don't have to have that operation.

Guest Teammayhem
Oh I hate dentists...
I was supposed to get braces, but I got this plastic thingy instead called a NightGuard (kinda like that invisialign thing, but its bigger). Instead of having braces, I had teeth that looked like to other people that were straightening themselves.

As for pain, it would come down to three incidents:
1. As a little kid in Mexico (I'm an american citizen, before any of you think im something else), I was always curious. I reached to get a large, 80's boombox (Yeah, one of those) and it fell on my head. I was only four at the time, and I still remember the pain years later. I have a line on my head where the stiches were. So don't go crying on otaku about some tooth when I had a boombox fall on my head, ok?

2. I'm really sensitive in my feet, okay? (And don't try to think of this in a way that's sick) About three months ago, I suffered from ingrown toenails and had to go to the doctor's to get them trimmed. When the doctor put the needle in my foot, I felt the liquid of the anesthesia in my foot, swirling around. And when it came to the trimming, the anesthesia didn't help. The doctor stuck it in at such an angle that it only numbed the wrong side of the toe.

3. Friday the 13th. Yeah, many of you aren't superstitious (and I'm not... anymore). I was riding my bike around town, going past CalTech (I think you've heard of it). At a red light, I thought to myself, wow, it's Friday the Thirteenth and nothing has happened to me.... yet. Seconds later, my bike threw me off into the street, into an oncoming car. Thankfully the car stopped, but the street had a lot of gravel on it. The CalTech security helped me up and gave me a ride home. It doesn't sound like much, right? How about the Hydrogen Peroxide I put on it, hmmm? Or that I had to pick out the gravel from the wound? How's that for pain, HMMMM?

You asked for painful experiences, and there they are. And I have more from were that came from.

And by the way, Nats, your dad is an Orthodontist, right? I would be scared of him.

Guest Teammayhem
That could be true...

I never liked any of my dentists... all of their waiting rooms have had old copies of People magazine and a funky "clean" smell...

Well im back today from my surgery and you know what. You never know what HIGH feels like untill you get on that gas! Mwahaha... Actually it just made me less caring about the idiots surrounding me, the numb face, and the constant drill vibrations that rang through my head.

Im in so much pain right now though. Hopin my vicoden kicks in here soon or ill have to scream. All four wisdom teeth came out easily...after they were in a bunch of pieces. Pain pain go away come again another day...

At least my music was nice... Cusco is a good relaxation music... mixed with the gas and its dancing time! Actualy all it did was move my feet a little and tap my fingers. The gas made me more tired than non caring. I never could open my eyes during the whol thing... when i managed to i was blinded by the light and hated the sight of that drill like thingy i never got a good look at. Heh.... now i have a few days of pain...

Maybe i should take a vicoden and them drink a bahama mama.... *recollects on the days of Bill Engvall* Uh... Maybe not.

What exactly are wisdom teeth? I've heard that they're teeth (of course) but why does everyone get them removed. It doesn't make any sense to me, but, I haven't gotten mine in yet. So I don't know what it feels like. But if you don't get them removed, and get through the pain, if the pain stops, would it do anything special? Would I become wiser, or tougher because of outlasting the pain? So confuzzling, well, ignore this message if it appears stupid to you.

P.S. My toothbrush got jammed under my tongue yesterday, it's all swollen and it hurts now. Just thought you should know.