OtakuBoards

Elf chick

klinanime1

Sorry, it's on lined paper, most of the background is cut out, it was drawn in the middle of chem, medium is a [B]ballpoint pen[/B] and Crayola colored pencils, and my scanner screwed the now non-existent moon. eh, I like the glowing sword/dagger/conductor's baton and the girl's hair. Critiques are very welcome.
[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=532925[/img]

[size=1] I really like your artwork, klinanime. ^_^ Hope to see more.

Anyways, I see the same problem that I saw in your other colored picture. [I forgot what it was.] Your coloring shows where you changed direction very noticeably. I would just work on making everything as smooth as possible, but it sucks that you're working with Crayola crayons. I feel ya'. =_=

:P I hope to see what you can do with better material. Excellent stuff![/size]

Tsktsk, doodling in chemistry, eh? Heh, I don't suppose I can really talk - my friend and I drew up a cast of thousands in the back of my physics book a couple of years back.

Anyways, I actually think it works very well for a sketch done in the middle of class. I like the way you do the hair almost like sharp feathers - very nice. The detail on the clothing, particularly in terms of the bordering and laces, is great too - ballpoint works brilliantly when it comes to minute details. The sword is fantastic (did you seriously do that in pencils or was it rendered on the computer?)

I agree with Maladjusted on the changes in direction - particularly on the purple skirt. I'd be interested to see how you might work with coloured chalks - not only, when blended, can you achieve solid planes with them, but they would also enhance the motion somewhat and continue the flow of the hair. They'd be particularly good on the sweep of those large sleeves, I'd imagine.

As for two other things - well, firstly I wonder if, despite the boot, the definition of where the knee is could be made a little clearer? Otherwise it risks looking as if the thighs go on for too long. Secondly, the left hand looks a touch odd since the fingers that bend back look a little as if they've come out of nowhere. As such, I'd add a little more depth to the hand in that you either tilt it up so the palm is slightly visible or slightly down so that the knuckles and the fingers that extend from them are clearer.

Other than that, it's a fantastic image. The elaboration on the background is something I wish I could achieve for once in one of my pictures (the stairs on the foremost hut are creepily sturdy-looking... ^_^ - good job!), and I think you've sussed the form of the body and the symmetry of the face brilliantly. Well done, and I hope you post more pictures up soon!

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Pyrophobic [/i]
[B]

As for two other things - well, firstly I wonder if, despite the boot, the definition of where the knee is could be made a little clearer? Otherwise it risks looking as if the thighs go on for too long. Secondly, the left hand looks a touch odd since the fingers that bend back look a little as if they've come out of nowhere. As such, I'd add a little more depth to the hand in that you either tilt it up so the palm is slightly visible or slightly down so that the knuckles and the fingers that extend from them are clearer. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think the knee isn't supposed to be defined, since the knee should be seen under where the paper ends. That's my thought, at least. Just right under...I'm not sure, though. It all depends on the artists' style or drawing. >_> I agree with you on the left-hand thing, though.

And I forgot something. For the girl's face, her nose direction leads us to believe she's slightly facing the right. In my opinion, that would be odd since her neck would be turning at an unnatural stance. *rambles*

Eh. ^_^;;; It's still an awesome picture, though![/size]

[color=navy]I love the colorfulness and choice of colors.

My own opinion is that I can tell that the thigh is getting slightly thinner as you near the end of the paper so I know that the knee is probably just below there.

I like the hair ok but, the sharp kind of feathery thing seems a little....well, odd. I think it would do much better being more wispy I guess I should call it.

Her left hand is strangely creepy. As PyroPhobic said, it would do good to either turn the hand so the knuckles were showing or so that the palm was showing slightly.

One last thing, I think the upper body seems a little big. Looking at it made me think: Why, what a abnormally large upper body. It seems to stretch on a little too much. And, also, if you shortened the upper body a little, you would be able to clearly define where the knees were.

Ok, I lied, here's the last thing, how here head is proportioned is very interesting indeed(lol, I said indeed). If you had pointed her nose in the other direction, it would not make it look like your trying to break her neck or something.

But, anyway, it's very well done despite those odd little things I mentioned. I hope to see more artwork from you.[/color]