OtakuBoards

What does music mean to you?

Amity

Like, as in, does it change your mood, does it help you concentrate? Whatever. What kind of music changes you in some-what way that make up your personality? I favor the punk-rock and heavy metal. Bands such as Korn and Linkin Park. So share your thoughts about music! :)

This is a hard question. I love music. I live for music. It's basically my blood and I really don't know how I'd live without it. I could do without many things in my life that I enjoy, but music is not one of them. I'd sooner die than give it up entirely.

Music changes my mood, I suppose, but not really on a deep level. If I'm playing Beck's [I]Sea Change[/I] or The Cure's [I]Bloodflowers[/I], I might find myself feeling a bit more sad than usual... but nothing that massively alters my attitude, in general.

I find myself listening to different things mostly based on the seasons. In the Winter and Fall months I listen to more aggressive or "dark" minded music, but in the warmer months I listen to more upbeat groups like The Pixies.

As for my tastes, they generally skew towards rock... but I'm not really a genre whore. Whatever sounds good to me is fine enough.

[font=Times New Roman][color=darkred]I normally use music as an escape I find it also helps me to concentrate when I do homework and the such. I have also found that homework is more llikely to be started once there is some kind of music playing ie it gets me motivated to do the work in the first place. Music doesn't particuarly change my mode, or not that I notice anyways. Electronica/ dance is the kind of music for me althought I do admit to having rock, alternative and a few other things in my collection.[/color][/font]

Music is me. Without music I am nothing. Even though I can't sing for crap, without the ability I would go mad. A similar side effect would result from deafness.

Many things about music appeal to me but the strongest thing is the ability to get lost in it, to escape on a well-played riff or melody. I concentrate better when listening to music, and I feel better also, and except for some genres, all music appeals to and enlightens me. I guess what I'm trying (albeit badly) to say, is music is the glue that holds my life together. my earliest and fondest memories are of music.

[size=2][color=#CC0000]I enjoy listening to rock, punk rock, pop-punk, some harder rock and ska. Music is a big part of my life, without music I would be but a shadow of what I am now. I'm tending not to listen to my Slipknot or Korn CDs.. I think I've outgrown them somehow.

Anyway, yeah.. my music seems to change as frequently as the seasons (which also change my moods). In the summer I'd listen to a lot of pop-punk (NFG, Blink, etc.) and towards autumn the music would get heavier, so I'd be listening to rock here. Winter is the same and spring.. well spring is just silly so, any music goes here.

Generally I will listen to any music from the above catagories, but I like to listen to certain types when I'm in certain moods as well. Sometimes I can't be bothered to go swap a Reel Big Fish CD in my player for a SOAD one if my mood changes. lol[/size][/color]

Wow, different thoughts on music, yet some are very alike in ways. I love music. I will not let my sister touch any of my cd's. I love rock, punk-rock, heavy metal, etc. I suprisingly was listening to Brittany Spears last night. My music changes my mood rapidly. If I'm listening to Korn, I will be angery, Linkin Park, I'll be depressed about myself. I don't know, some music just has that effect on me. If you ever meet me in person, you'll see it for yourself. I'm crazy like that... :rolleyes:

Music is the most 2nd most important thing in my life ( 1st is anime and wrestling) . Its a escape from reality and takes me to my own private place. I listen to Lots of Heavy Metal and a bit of hardcore punk. I love metal cause what every im feelin it always gives me a kick and gets me of my butt. It helps me get thought school days most importanly.

Well, I'm a bit emotion based when it comes to music. Usually I listen to something that eccentuates the mood I'm currently in, like if I'm sad I'll put something by The Cure or Sigur Ros and if I'm happy I'll put on Los Fabulosos Cadillacs or something similar. In any case, I listen to music a lot, when i write or draw music helps put ideas into my head. Like when trying to create a scenario, music will help with that because I attach it to memories, moments, feelings, ppl. I sleep to music as well, mostly slower instrumental stuff that I put on repeat so I can wake up to it as well. Everything feels a lot calmer that way.

[color=firebrick] Music is up there along with the other really important things that are vital to life. And classical music is the bomb.

I ususally get tired of punk rock music fast after I've listened to it for a long time. I mostly listen to soft music...eh, like Nora Jones. Jazz-ish or soft rock. I don't ever have a main preference for music, I'll listen to any song that I think sounds cool. *shrugs* I mean, I like Britney Spears's 'Toxic' song. I don't really care about what 'category' they're in.[/color]

[color=crimson][size=1] I do have to say this is quite a hard question for me. Music in essence is everything to me. I don't know how I'd live without it at all. It pushes me most of the time to keep myself going in the biggest of things and the smallest of things. Examples such as school, to the smallest of keeping me awake. Music is so vital to me that I even took it upon myself to learn guitar. So even when I don't have music to listen to on a CD player or any other way, I might have the chance of playing it on my own.

Music really just transcends language and can hit you deep. It can influence me. But not often, it has to be a song that truly moves me. Though it doesn't particularly change my mood while listening to it. It usually alone makes me think of everything in life, past, present, and the future. It's why I like depressing, torturously slow music. It helps me sort out everything if I were to become depressed. Music is one of the most vital things I'll ever have. It's up there on the list of the most important things in life. It would be hard to live without it.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Music is a means of self-expression, and a way to fend off boredom. (though this does not always work for more than five hours when it's the same song_ _U)

There's something fun about letting people in on your tastes, as well as knowing that they are your own and no one else's.

If earth was ever under seige by aliens who lacked music, I think we would be able to win them over.

Music is something entirely human to me. Every one loves it, and every one always will until the last harpsicord turns to dust with the passing of the human species...Harpsicord. Heh.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]I don't listen to a lot of music, really. I have almost no idea what/who most of the songs and singers mentioned in this forum are. And even with the names I recognize, I couldn't tell you a song if I heard it. I pretty much listen to one or two radio stations and whatever CDs are lying around the house. Usually, that means my mom's stuff, heh.

That being said...for a long time, music was a huge part of my life. I spent several years involved with any band/singing/instrumental group I could join, and I loved it. It's incredibly hard for me to explain how much playing meant to me. It's just an awesome feeling.[/size]

I'm in a band- well, a garage band. We're going to be parting soon because I'm moving to Hawaii, but I love it. It's been real cool hanging with them and such. Our biggest inspiration- Korn. Jonathan rocks, and he will always rock on. Of course Munky is my favorite- but I give my props to Jonathan for being so hard rocked. AFI, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mud. I love them all. So yeah, music is an important thing in my life, it makes up, well, me.

Has anyone heard of AFI? I love their music. I have a question though. What is up with Davey, the lead singer? People tell me He is gay, bisexual, or he inherited some sort of gene. I don't know. If he's gay, bisexual, ect. I wouldn't really care, but I'm just wondering. What do you think on that? Also, to the moderators, if I'm bringing that up, should I start a different thread for it so I don't get too off topic?

Has anyone heard of AFI? I love their music. I have a question though. What is up with Davey, the lead singer? People tell me He is gay, bisexual, or he inherited some sort of gene. I don't know. If he's gay, bisexual, ect. I wouldn't really care, but I'm just wondering. What do you think on that? Also, to the moderators, if I'm bringing that up, should I start a different thread for it so I don't get too off topic?[/QUOTE]

Im a hugh fan of afi their one of the few punk bands i like. But the think about afi is that their music reaches out to people of all sort of music. As for Davey he is gay and thats why alot of people dis the band and say their rubbish. I dont really care about that thought because they rock. I wouldnt bother about a thread thought cause i think that it wouldnt get that many good replies and end up being closed down.

^_^; Sorry, I should have been more specific in what I meant, oh wait you weren't talking about me were you? Like somewhere in his family, something was wrong with one of the gene's and he inherited that gene and came out with a sort of girlish figure? Is that what you mean James? I have my answer now. He is gay. I think gay people are cool. And I also think that Davey is a rock on dude even if he is gay! Go Davey! :p

[font=Arial][size=3]oh man, there are times when I'd been in the happiest mood until I put in some CD with some sad songs on it, and stayed in a funk for the rest of the day. *herm*, that could also have to do with the fact that I'm an emotional fruitcake packed in a basketcase, but whatever. [/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]I can't listen to music while I'm doing stuff anymore, or I won't get anything done. I'll unconciously stop what I'm doing so I can have my full concentration on the music; before I know it, I've spent an hour listening to a CD when I was supposed to be doing homework, lol. I pretty much only listen to music when I'm riding in a car or on a bus now. >.>'[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]as for personal preferences, dang-it-all, I'll listen to almost anything. almost. I stay away from most hip-hop and stuff like ICP. and country. "That's just too much of a stretch." [size=1][i]*a hundred BILLion dollars to anyone who knows where that's from*. [/i][/size][size=3]I'm strangely enough getting more into some pop now. granted, of course there's still pop that's not good at all, but you find stuff like that in any genre anyway. not all of pop's as full of crap as some people insist it is. but nowadays anything that's mainstream is automatically garbage, don'tcha know.[/size][/size][/font]

Music means so much for me. When I wake up I turn music on to get some energy. When I'm sad I always listen to some music to get relief. I love Radiohead, Enya, REM etc. Also, sometimes I play the piano. I don't play very often so I've lost my skills but anyway it helps me to forget about all my troubles.

Guest lavalamp
Music is a hobby to me. I enjoy following every aspect of it. I don't just listen to it.

It's bizarre thinking about it, though. I used to see "music" as just "music" and nothing else, and knew/cared very little about it. Then, suddenly I was charting releases and watching sales figures. Now I'm always listening to something. It's this strange subtle addiction and I'm not sure how I ever lived without it.

I don't really dislike any genre, although I can't say I'm as enthusiastic/gripped about domestic music.

Guest auranix
Because I'm kind of into Trance music (really, really dig it :) ) it helps me concentrate, relax, and also inspiration for my art. Makes me think about light, stuff like that. I also like Linkin Park-style music, very gnarly as well.

[i]Yes, that happens during reproduction...[/i]

[color=firebrick] :o Sara, you made me spit soda out![/color]

[i]I can't listen to music while I'm doing stuff anymore, or I won't get anything done. I'll unconciously stop what I'm doing so I can have my full concentration on the music; before I know it, I've spent an hour listening to a CD when I was supposed to be doing homework, lol. I pretty much only listen to music when I'm riding in a car or on a bus now. >.>'[/i]

[color=firebrick] Yeah, that happens with me, but I'm a bit wierd. If I'm in a certain mood I have to listen to the music with my full concentration but other times I don't even know what song I'm listening to. I sort of look up and then realize I'm listening to music. *shrugs* Helps me with my work, though. :p[/color]

Music isn't my life but it's definitely up there. Music is just one of those things that anyone can enjoy, regardless of whether or not they listen to the same music or not.

I think it's really been in the past couple years that I've expanded my musical horizons, so to speak. When I was younger, I never really paid too much attention to it, other than listening to the local oldies/classic rock station on the way to school each and every morning (it's still the best radio station we have here, heh).

In the past couple years, I've ventured out onto my own to try out different bands and I've found some band that I really enjoy (Nine Inch Nails, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Pink Floyd, Queens of the Stone Age and Soundgarden being among the bands that I searched out for myself, rather than listening for them on the radio).

If there's one thing I want to do, though, it's to experience a live concert - I've never had the opportunity to go to a live concert, which is pretty sad. The area where I live is pretty far out from any sort of musical venue and I've never had anyone willing to drive me to a concert. Hopefully, I can change that, though (thank God I'm getting my license fairly soon).

So, yeah, music isn't the [i]biggest[/i] part of my life but it's damn near close to it.

• 1 month later...
Guest chocho_chobits
[size=1][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]music is my life, if theres no music maybe i could fgo crazy 0.o , i luvv listening to LINKIN PARK, thrre days grace, smile empty souls and boxcar racer..umm and more , theyre all good ^_^[/COLOR][/size]