OtakuBoards

What does music mean to you?

Amity

[FONT=Century Gothic][I][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkGreen]Music means a lot to me, basically, because, I'm always carrying my Discman or a bunch of CDs everywhere, without music on a long road trip, I think I'd trhow myself out a window; or even start singing myself (That ain't pretty...) and it helps me concentrate, I know this might sound strange, but for every exam that I study while lisening to music, I always get an A+. :rolleyes:

Also, I think music is something everyone can realate to,because, they're a lot of generes, so, anyone can find a song, or a group that they like, absolutely everyone likes at least one song, or genere or group, even people who don't have the tinniest idea of what music is. Music is a way to express yourself, or hear what others have to say; and, I think that, without music, the world is just this big boring, green, brown and blue ball, with bored people living on it. :eek:

I listen to any music that's on the radio, even though sometimes, the people that have talk shows during my study hours :flaming: NEVER SHUT UP! :flaming: , so I pop in a CD. I ususally listen to rock, like Nickelback, Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Smile Empty Soul,Puddle of Mudd stuff like that, and, if, I get a taste for another type of music, I just listen to Vertical Horizon, John Mayer, or even anime music works for me. :D

I think that,if there'd be no more music, the Earth would fall in a never ending age of boredome. :sleep:
HetepKa[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

Music is a major part of my life. I love to listen to music and perform music. I knew when I was looking for my soulmate he would definately have to love music like I do. I don't think I could spend my life with someone who didn't feel the same way about music.

Music has always been a great form of personal expression. I would find songs that would express how I was feeling in a way that I couldn't do on my own. Finding a song that expressed my feelings always made me feel better about whatever was going on in my life. Breaking up with a boyfriend, finding a new one, songs about friendship.....it made me feel better knowing that there was someone else out there who understood how I felt.

I was in band in school, marched in a Drum and Bugle Corp and I can play several different instruments. Currently I am learning the piano with the help of my hubby. I was told when I was little that I could never play the piano since I had a finger amputated due to an accident. I know now that I can learn, I just need to modify alittle. I still feel a bit bitter towards that music teacher who told me I couldn't. It really crushed me to hear that when I was in grade school.

As for what I listen to on the radio, it's a little bit of everything. I think if a song is good, no matter what type, I will listen to it. I love rock, pop, classical, jazz, opera, jpop/anime and even country! I am not opposed to listening to any kind of music if it has some musical integrity.

Music is life, life is music.

[b][size=1][color=darkgreen]
Music is great. If a band I absolutely hate comes out with a half-way decent song, I'll listen to it. What I cannot stand are music elitists -people who think they're better than you because they know more about a particular band or genre. It irks me to no certain extent.

Back to my point: I have very eclectic tastes when it comes to music. I wonder how many other people have Stevie Wonder, The Marcels and Metallica all in the same playlist... Anyway, I have many favorite bands and many others that I only like a few songs by. But I won't condemn any group because of past crappiness. [/b][/size][/color]

Its good to see that most of you are still here...
I'm with Semjaza on this one though. I'd rather be dead than not have it. I'm always listening to it, and it rules my life. I am a musician, I play two instruments and I'm in about five or six bands, including those of my school. The best day of my life was at a music festival this year, and I have many fond memories from other concerts and festivals which I have attended. Music is my life, despite that I can't stand the majority of it, I couldn't live without it.

Since I'm a guitarist music rules my life as well. Bands such as Metallica, Korn, From Autumn to Ashes, The Offspring, ect. are my definite favorites.

I see music as a way to express yourself (anger mostly as is the case with Korn) in a non-violent way. For the bands that write lyrics that don't pertain to a dificult/horrible time in life are still expressing themselves through their music. Music is universal and I love the ups and downs of it. (I've recently lost the bass player of my band to a car accident.

Note: He's not dead or anything but the accident broke both his legs and his spirit...

Even though he's left he's still an awsome guy and it's things such as that car accident that piss me off. My friend loses his power to walk and that's not what has him so depressed. A young musician who just wants to have a good time is cut down unfairly...yet the music goes on.
That prooves the immortality of music and musicians.
(Don't go jumping in front of trains I just mean that once you've done something great such as put out an album and truely touched people with your music you will never be forgotten).

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=2]To all aspiring musicians give it your best shot. The hardships are definetly worth the out come. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Music often comforts me when human beings cant. There have been times when I have felt like I have had no one but my music. Music has the ability to change me from sad to happy, to get me pumped, or to touch me. Music also has the ability to bring me back to what I was doiing when I first heard a certain song. Music is a large part of my life and without it I would be lost, I wouldnt be the person I am now. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]people say that the most evocative sense is smell. i say it's hearing.

music (certain songs, anyway) brings me back to a time/place when i first heard that song, down to the last detail. other songs remind me of my friends/family.

back when i broke up (BADLY) with a boyfriend, the only song i'd listen to was [i]Addicted[/i] by Simple Plan. then my friend Kevin sent me a recommendation: [i]Teenage Victory Song[/i] by Weezer. i spent three days straight listening to that, and it got me to get away from feeling really upset.

Music soothes the savage beast, ne? :ball:[/FONT]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I listen to music MOST OF THE TIME. I'm always trying to come up with original melodies in my head, or on my guitar or keyboard or even computer. I always have Winamp playing [i]something[/i] while I'm working on my comp, and I always have some CD in my car. But I listen to random weird music (like right now I'm listening to the "Suikoden Asian Collection").

To me music is too many things. It is a form of communication. It is a way of escaping into a different world, often working just as well as or better than a good book. It is a way to relax, to become inspired, etc. It can bring out a lot of emotion, which is why it is so powerful.

I love music. I don't know what I would do if it wasn't part of human culture.

Music is my life. I couldn't go a day without music. I play my violin every day and playing it just makes me feel better. Listening to some music changes my emotions. When I listen to certain bands, i get emotionally charged. Very happy, depressed, lovesick. Music has a big part in my emotions.

Music is a universal language. So lets communicate.

I listen to music that corresponds with my emotions, and I ways listen to it when I go on distance runs. (2 miles +). It keeps me pushing my limits, and putting a mental block up to the burning, pain, and the suffocation of running.

[color=green][size=1]

I like to say I'm a varied music listiner, but most of my tastes run in Hip Hop and Classic Rock, with a little Punk in there.. I like upbeat songs and musicians, once in a while something agressive and when I'm a bit bumbed out, I either listen to the dark stuff like Nirvana or something to cheer me up, like Kanye West. I mostly listen to up beat, dance Hip Hop and such though.

I love music. Music is me. I'm nothing really without my Music. I love to rap and sing in the shower, on the sidewalk, in my mind, basically anywhere. So music means life for me. Its emotion basically.
[/color][/size]

[font=bookantique][i]I love music and it is very meaning full to me. I listen to it and dance to it and do whatever I can to it ;) . I just love it and I love good music too. I love the works of David Bowie and Meat Loaf... And I like Bauhaus and The Cure... All good to me.[/i][/font]

[COLOR=Purple]I don't think I could survive without music. People are always asking me what kind of music I listen to and it's hard to explain to them what type of music I listen to so I just give them a list of some of my favirate band names....

Anti-Flag
The Clash
Duran Duran
David Bowie
My Bloody Valentine
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Cure (my favorate band!)
Malice Mizer
Glay
Dir en Gray

Anyway when I acctually think of it I listen to music just about all the time..I can't even sleep without music on!

Scincerly, Your vampire: Doll[/COLOR]

Music keeps me running. Without the music I listen to, I'd die within a day.

I listen to Metallica, Staind, Cold, Linkin Park, Ill Nino, Static-X, the kind of music they have really surrounds me perfectly. Other bands like Three Doors Down, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis... they have the more mellower sort of music. Still right in the rock category, but alot more smoother than the heavy bands. I love that kind of music too.

RnB, is a different story. There's nearly no song, at all, in this genre, that I can stand. The only songs, actually have meaning to me, bring back memories to me that actually mean alot to me. "One Call Away" by Chingy, "Yeah" by Usher, "I Don't Wanna Know" by Mario Winans/P. Diddy, "Suga Suga" by Baby Bash. Put them all together, and you can notice a kind of line that they all follow. I love these songs. They all bring back memories that I can picture all the time when the song is playing, and actually mean alot to me.

Music runs through my veins. Without music, I'd be a very sad, emotionally distressed, depressed, torn-apart, mixed-up, confused, not-thinking-straight person. In other words, I'd be dead. :shifty:

I luv all sorts of music besides country, and rap. :love: when i do my math homework i usually like listening to beatoven or Bach. When i'm cleaning i like to listen to any song with a good fast beat! i luv music i try to listen to it all the time! :love: :tasty:

Music, to me, is impossible to seperate entirely from the creative process and from storytelling. I find my greatest inspiration comes when I hear a powerful instrumental peace or a passionate ballad. I often listen to music when I am writing something. I don't have much money, so I don't buy many CD's, and therefore become quite attached to those I do buy. The radio is my main source of music right now. Sometimes when I am making up a story, my brain will compose music to go along with it, or start 'playing' a song that matches the mood of the story. I always, and I mean always, use music with my roleplaying games.

I, too, like a wide variety of music. I'm someone who can listen to a hard rock song one minute and a classical piano piece the next and like them both equally. I like country music, rock music, oldies, soundtracks, classical, heavy metal, pop... everything, pretty much. Although I'm a bit iffy on rap and hip-hop. Some of it I like and some I really can't stand.

I always love it when I hear a song that perfectly matches a mood I'm in or something I'm struggling with, or when I hear a song so beautiful or sad it makes me cry. Like the other day '100 years' by Five For Fighting came on as the background music on our "what's on T.V." channel and I just sat there and listened to it with tears in my eyes. For some reason, that song just makes me want to cry. It's so beautiful musically, and the words speak to our mortality and fleeting youth.

Our choir sang a song this year called "The Awakening" about what the world would be like without music. You think about it, and just about every culture there is in the world has music of some kind. Even some of the hyper-strict christian sects allowed hymns to be sung.

The world we live in is just a small piece of the cosmic all. What we see in front of us is often only a small part of a much bigger story. Music, by appealing to our emotions on a powerful primitive level, allows us to transcend the barriers of the mundane, and glimpse, for a moment, a bit of what the world is really like. Sometimes it's an uplifting picture, other times it is bleak. But there can be no denying the almost mystic power of music to stir and illumine our souls and minds.