OtakuBoards

The Pixies Reform for a Tour

Semjaza

This might interest the two or three people here who have more than a passing interest in the Pixies (if even that). The band is reforming with its full line-up (including Lovering, who was rumored to not be interested in a full-fledged tour). They start up in the US in April and then on May 1st, they'll be playing the massive
Coachella Festival. Anyone that lives near Indio, California and can see that should go.

The Pixies, The Cure, Muse, Radiohead and countless other bands. Some reforming for this show and some never even appearing in the US in any official form. I would love to go, but I doubt that will happen.

Anyway, after that they're touring in Europe until July. This is being referred to as an "Initial" or "Warm-Up" tour, so there will be more US dates again after that. I'll personally be going to whatever Chicago show they wind up playing.

This is pretty historic, really. The Pixies may not have ever been a massive band in terms of sales, but they are considered one of the best rock bands ever by many rock critics. They've influenced quite a few big-name bands and were one of the main catalysts for what alternative became in the 90s. They've not played together since 1992, so it's been quite awhile.

So that said, if you can go, I'd really encourage you to. The tickets are only averaging around $25 apiece, which I really don't think is a bad price considering. Here's the dates:
APRIL

14 Burton Cummings Theatre, Winnipeg, MB CANADA
15 Doris Knight Ballroom, Regina, SK CANADA
17 Prairieland, Saskatoon, SK CANADA
18 Red's, Edmonton, AB CANADA
19 MacEwan Hall, Calgary, AB CANADA
21 Victoria Curling Club, Victoria, BC CANADA
22-23 Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, BC CANADA
24 Big Easy, Spokane, WA
25 The Big Easy, Boise, ID
27 MacDonald Theatre, Eugene, OR
29 Freeborn Hall, Davis, CA

MAY

1 Coachella Festival, Indio, CA

Now, I'm super excited because seeing them live is one of the things I always wished I could do before I died... Along with seeing Apocalypse Hoboken. They've both disbanded so I always figured it was impossible... but then Apocalypse Hoboken reformed for a final show after their few year abscence. I went to that and it rocked. Now the Pixies are reforming and I'll get to see them. Yay.

They're also putting out a DVD and a Greatest Hits collection... I won't bother with the CD considering I already own all of their material, but whatever. It might interest someone. There's no news on the possibility of a new release.

There's a double CD release of theirs called "Death to the Pixies". The first disc is a Greatest Hits of sorts and the second disc is a live concert. The only issue here is that most people agree that the tracklisting for the first disc isn't all that great.

The listing for this new set is much better and it won't be as expensive since it's one disc. I had to spend like $20+ on Death to the Pixies.

Bah, I'm still really depressed because I won't be seeing the Cure, that's like, like a stab in the heart. What if they never play again, what if that's IT for them, what then??? ::cries::

In either case, I haven't heard a lot from the Pixies, just that one cd which was cool, but yea...it's the Cure and it hurts so much, I can't be exited about any other band.

[size=1]Yeah, I might very well give my left arm to go see that. Especially because of Muse, since I don't think they've ever even been over here. I'm not sure. But damn, what a concert.

The DVDs are usually pretty cool. I don't know that much about the Pixies, unfortunately, but from the stuff I have heard, it sounds worth buying. That, and I sort of like getting these DVD things, since I will probably never see a number of bands in concert. T.T[/size]

I would love to go to such a festival... It really would be amazing. The Cure, my band of the moment, RAdiohead, my band of the moment from like a month ago, and The Pixies, my band of the moment from a few months ago, all uniting. Oh, and Muse. : ) Who else is there? Is there a site?

But I live in PA. Anyway, the Pixies reforming really has been one of my all time fantasies of, like, forever.

Too bad they're not touring aynywhere in like, a 3948302859023859032 mile radius of where I live.

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=slategray]I've never really heard any of The Pixies' music, but since you're so enthusiastic about them in this post and previous ones, I decided to check them out. I was very impressed. They have a very unique sound and are predictable, but in an odd way that I enjoy. Sort of like the way Modest Mouse is unpredictable in a way that I enjoy. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=slategray]That reminds me, the voice of the lead vocalist seems like a hybrid of the singer from Led Zeppelin (I'm too lazy to find a name) and the lead vocalist from Modest Mouse (yet again, too lazy to find a name). That's just how it struck me anyway.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#708090]I would love to see these bands in concert :)[/color][/size][/font]