OtakuBoards

Princess Mononoke

Spikey

• 2 weeks later...
[color=crimson]I really like Princess Mononoke very much. I rented it from Blockbuster every week for about 6 months straight. The people at the store were like "Just buy the damned movie!"
Well, I liked the idea of the destruction of the forest and the animals fighting back. Reminded me of the Rain Forest. The idea of hatred turning gods into demon was cool too. Have you ever had someone hate you and when they look at you, you can say they look like a demon in some way?
The characters, story, animation, and music were gripping and I never want to let them go. I thought it was funny how A****aka's hair would leviate when he was angry. The relation's between A****aka and the other characters were a little strange to me. Does he hate anyone or at least dislike someone? I thought it was Eboshi, but that didn't work out.
Oh, what was the movie rated?

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

Well, I remember in 2001 my sister and I were sleeping on the couches in our living room at 10:00 p.m. one night and we were looking for something to watch when we came upon PM. We saw that Billy Bob Thornton and Jada Pinkett Smith were voicing some of the ppl, and we are their fans, and we watched it that night. It blew us away! We thought that is was so amazing, and I was in a trance. I knew that I would love anime from that day forward.
My sister could not go to sleep after she saw that boar, though, and the prince and those little animals in the forest were soooo kawaiii!
Love, Cocomi-sama
P.S. Someone PM me. Being a newbie is NOT easy, and I am so lonely!

Married to KenjiHimura as of September 12th, 2003 (I wish!)

• 2 weeks later...
Princess Mononoke is one of my more favoriite Ghibli movie. I love the forest footage in this movie, everything is so impecably drawn. I don't see the problem with the demons, and I am a Christian seeing as I believe in Christ. The movie's about the fight between industrialization and nature, about how humanity can taint something so pure. I really love the part when [spoiler]Ashitaka and San are giving back the Deer God his head and he wraps his arm around her weist[/spoiler] I just find that gesture so beautiful. I love the movie, there's no bad guy and the open ending just leaves it to you to make your own conclusion. This movie's awesome, Studio Ghibli Rocks!!! ^_^

I love Princess Mononoke, it`s one of my favorite anime movies. I remember whne I first saw it and they were talking about demons and stuff, I was confused since I am a christan but I did a bit of reading in a book that explains anime and got a bit of an understanding about Japanese religion and stuff. After that I really didn`t care because I am a very open minded person and I found myself watching more anime like that like one of my favorites, Inuyasha.

Anyway Princess Mononoke is a beautiful movie, and I love Moro, she is so cool.

• 4 months later...
That is so my favorite move!My favorite part is when Ashitaka is trying to save Saun From the demonic pig thingie!

[COLOR=Navy]Sephy's_Grl, we have already discussed your post quality (or lack thereof). Replies like this would normally be deleted. Please go re-read my PMs to you immediately.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

[color=darkviolet]violet]*looks around shamefully* I should probably begin by saying that I haven't seen the movie since 2000 even tho I have the DVD and could have watched it on TV a few weeks ago.

When I saw it back in 2000 tho I was awed by the animation and the story. It was kind of like a not so friendly Fern Gully.

The character developement was managed very nicely from what I remember. You kind of had to admire Ashitaka's courage while dealing with that strange disease. He had one of the best anime quotes as well: [b]I wish to see the world with eyes unclouded by hate[/b] That monk was quite a character as well.

One of my favorite scenes was [spoiler]when the animals were getting ready to battle against lady (can't remember her name's) village and the boars managed to do the mud like war paint. It was like giving the animlas some human qualities[/spoiler]

I also liked the little mushroom looking things that would pop up every once in a while.

As for the whole idea with the mononoke, the term mononoke (correct me if I'm wrong) means spirit. It could be good or bad. For example, I was watching a fansub of InuYasha and they were calling Mistress Centipeide a mononoke-they may have called InuYasha one as well. as a Wiccan, I don't really beleive in demons and I don't take much stock in evil spirits (atleast in my path) come to think of it, I didn't believe in them much as a Catholic either. And like someone else said, demons are a part of many anime, Just look at InuYasha, Yasha is another term for demon.

But that's all I have to say on that subject and if you feel that you can get so easily influenced by a movie, tv show or anime, you'd do best to lock yourself inside your room and never come out.[/color]

• 4 months later...
i watched Princess Mononoke a couple weeks ago in art class and again at home and it was ok i guess... it had a great sotryline however!!! After watching the movie though i caouldn't figure out why they had named it Princess Mononoke!! if im not mistaken wasn't Sawn also called Princess Mononoke or somethin like that?? What i realized is that it had nothing to do with Princess Mononoke the entire story was based on Asitaka's quest to cure himself so why did they name it Princess Mononoke if it had nothing to do with her???

• 1 year later...
If it was not already brought to your attention, Toonami will be airing Princess Mononoke next Saturday (March 25). Ask anybody who's seen the movie and they'll automatically tell you how graphic it is. My question is, what is are the chances of Princess Mononke airing uncut? Suprisingly Spirited Away aired uncut several weeks ago (likewise with tonight's airing), and those are both primetime slots. I would be ecstatic if Princess Monoke were to air with editting, but in my opinion, the chances of that are slim....or are they?

[COLOR=Indigo][B]kayutori_sama[/B],

I?m moving your thread to the existing Princess Mononoke thread. To avoid confusion we ask that you do not create a new thread but instead post in the current one no matter how old it may be. You can look here: [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208][COLOR=Indigo][B]Official Threads Directory[/B][/COLOR][/URL] to see if the thread already exists. Or you can perform a search to see if one has already been created.

Please take a moment to read through the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?][COLOR=Indigo][B]Rules[/B][/COLOR][/URL] and [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?][COLOR=Indigo][B]FAQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] located on the left sidebar for further information on OtakuBoards policies on creating threads and other aspects of OtakuBoards. If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff.

~indifference
[/COLOR]

[quote name='kayutori_sama']If it was not already brought to your attention, Toonami will be airing Princess Mononoke next Saturday (March 25). Ask anybody who's seen the movie and they'll automatically tell you how graphic it is. My question is, what is are the chances of Princess Mononke airing uncut? Suprisingly Spirited Away aired uncut several weeks ago (likewise with tonight's airing), and those are both primetime slots. I would be ecstatic if Princess Monoke were to air with editting, but in my opinion, the chances of that are slim....or are they?[/quote]

The commercial said it would air at a TV-14V and Miyazaki doesn't allow edits to his films. It'll either air uncut or not air at all.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='rene23']i havent seen the movie can anyone tell me what it is?[/quote]
yeah its about a princess named mononoke,who lives in forest that is threatened to be cut down and put in danger by machinery,etc.then this prince dude/guy who was banished from his clan thing is going to help the princess save the forest but first they have to find the spirit of the forest..