OtakuBoards

Princess Mononoke

Spikey

[SIZE=1]I checked, and I din't find any threads on the first to pages subjected to Princess Mononoke.

I was wondering if anybody else has seen it and thought it was good. I thought it was great, amazing. The charcter designs were just great. Especially the charcter designs. Sawn's was amazing. The whole plot was.

I was wondering if any of you would answer a couple questions:

[B][center]1. Who do you think had the best charcter design? Why?[/b][/center]
I think Sawn did. Her mask was so cool, and the fur that lay on her back. She had such a good design, and amazing abbilities. Her past was a great story too. She wore unexpected, adn very wolf-like clothes. Which makes her fit in with the wolf clan.

[B][center]2. What do you think was so good about the plot?Why?[/B][/center]
I liked it because Ashitaka sets out on a journey to find the forest-spirit to heal his demon wound. In the middle of his journey, [spoiler]there is a war with flesh-and-blood, and animals. During that, Lady Eboshi killed the Forest-Spirit, then they focused on that.[/spoiler] I just like the way the plot changed so much. It was cool.

[B][center]3. What was unique about the weapons?[/B][/center]
The time plot was what made the weapons unique. It was olden times, and they didn't have like triggers for their guns, the had to lite a switch and it blew out fire through the barrel. Also the didn't have any thing like shot-guns and stuff, the time period is what made the weapons unique is my opnion.[/size]

1.Who do you think had the best character design?

Um... I really liked Ashitaka's design, as a human character. He looked great, everything your above-average hero should look like. Good hair, sword :p, and a good steed, too. His clothes were a little plain, though, but I don't think that matters at all. *Dreams of Roy's gear...*

2. What do you think was so good about the plot?

I thought the demon's curse put a great twist on things. Ashitaka's race against time, Sawn getting infected near the end, and of course [spoiler]the Nightwalker losing his head having a devastating effect on the Earth around it.[/spoiler] Okay, maybe it's not the same thing, but it made the ending very exciting.

3. What was unique about the weapons?

o_O

I liked Ashitaka's sword. It didn't have a hilt, but it was so elegant.

1. Who do you think had the best charcter design? Why?
i liked lady aboshi because for a stern ruler she carried herself well.she looked very deceptive and strong it just fit.

2. What do you think was so good about the plot?Why?
i liked the way that they flawlessly introduced many a character.i also liked that the gods were mortal,it knd of put a new spin on my perception.

3. What was unique about the weapons?
i liked ashitaka's swords designshowing that they were somewhat but not very advanced.the gun scenes were very realistic due to the fact that the lady aboshi said that new guns were "still too heavy".it showed they had not progressed in he development of projectile warfare.i also liked the fact that the gods caled the bullets "poison" showing that they were wise and new that these new,loud,projectile weapons would pollute the earth and its inhabitents.i also liked the varrying styles,it went from the straight edged sword of ashitaka,to the jagged dagger of sawn,to lady aboshi's sleek cannons.

a tremendous movie!

1. [b]Who do you think had the best charcter design? Why?[/b]
I think the person with the best character design would have to be Ashitaka, main reason for this is because they developed him the most through out the movie. Then it would have to be Swan, though I liked Lady Eboshi as well.

2. [b]What do you think was so good about the plot?Why?[/b]
To tell you the truth I haven't seen this movie for a long time now, so I might get something wrong while typing this. The best part of the plot is that at the end [spoiler]you think that the people are all going to die, but instead they head of the Forest Sprit is giving back just in time and Ashitaka is healed. I originaly had a thought tugging in th eback of my head that kept saying they would die, though I believed otherwise. I was right though, they didn't die. Plus the gods were not immortal, as I had thought they where when the metioned this.[/spoiler] So that was kind of cool.

3.[b]What was unique about the weapons?[/b]
Well this is certanily an odd question indeed, I had never really took much thought to this subject. But to tell you the truth I liked the designs of the guns, both decrative and constructive designs. Nice touch there. Otherwise the other weapons are pretty much normal, I still found them to be cool, because I have always liked those type of weapons.

Who has the best character design?
I would have to say Ashitaka. I like they way his hair changed when something troubled him.I also liked Moro the wolf god.I loved the way they drew her.(Wolves are so cute!).
What I thought was good about the plot was how Ashitaka traveled around and met the most strangest characters like Toki.
The thing I found most unique about the weponds was that they had guns in that time era. I loved the way they changed the guns but I was more interested in the bow and arrows.Especially when Ashitaka used them.

1. I think the person with the best character design were the wolves (I don't know why, but wolves ROCK!!! ) But if you want "character" then I'd say San. ( I think that's how they spell it because it sounds like the Japanese word for 3 )

2. The plot was great! (In mine and my friend's opinion) Princess Mononoke focuses on the relationship between humans and animals.

3. The guns were cool!!! But I agree with G.D. Ryoko, the way Ashitaka used the bow and arrows was cool.

1. Definitely Lady Aboshi, I loved her hair.. San was pretty cool as well.

2. The plot was totally original. Though it's not the [b]only[/b] "save the earth" anime (Arjuna, etc.), it's one of a select few, and it doesn't seem to be that in the future. It's so fantastical, like all of Hayao Miyazaki's works. I dunno why it's so engrossing and magical, but it just [b]is[/b]!

3. I dunno much about weapons, but I don't think they were all that unique or anything. THe rifles, the Spear(San's), the swords and pole-arm things... Just feudal Japan style weapons.. Nothing all too special.

• 6 months later...
[size=1][color=crimson] This anime was one of my all time favorites but they were some situations that i did not like at all about the anime. Mostly it talked about demons and I go to church and stuff so I didnt much like that. Other than that the animation and drawing is magnificent. What do you think of this anime?[/color][/size]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Edited to fix tags. *QA*[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]A lot of animes have demons...

Anyway I think this is a genius anime. Ghibi studious is probably one of my favorite anime studious. I think this is a great anime, one of my favorites.

I think that the character design is very good. I think the plot is amazing, and very unique. All in all it is a great anime. That is my opinion.[/size]

Well Aoshi,
I completely understadn your veiw pint on that but when it comes down to demons being apart of it, that is how life was in fuedal Japam...you have to think bot it in that way...Demons aprrear in many of the older religouns of Asia, even in India, but you have the people who rise up against these people. But that was what the story was mainly hitting on.

The religion of fuedal Japan vs. the advancement of man.

But althogher the anime was excelltent and the storyline was great as well.

Besides whats's history without folklore....

I don't much care for the demon thing either but it kinda comes with the territory.

I absolutely LOVE this movie, the artwork, the soundtrack, and the plot are so wonderfully done. The people at Ghibi Studios are extremely talented *and I am so jealous*. If you haven't seen this movie, SEE IT. oh yeah and the little Kodamas are so kawaii!

Lataz,
Lisha

Even if you do go to church, demons and devils are part of nearly any religion's history. Christianity included. I don't know how it could affect you in any way, considering that.

In any case, I never liked this anime. It's my least favorite Ghibli release.

What I don't understand is why people have to compare fantasy movies to the real world. "Well, that movie had demons in it and I don't approve." Why can't people just open their minds and understand that it the charectors in the movies live in a different world with different rules. That's why it's fantasy. It's exciting to think "what if..."

I thought it was a pretty good anime. The action scenes were pretty good and the plot was pretty interesting. The only thing i didnt really like was the fact they dont really say what happens to the main characters orignal tribe. Besides that it was very well written and it had a pretty good ending. Ohh almost forgot the music went right along with the anime...not neccessarily towards my liking but it was excellent for the anime.

i loved this movie and i loved the whole demon idea- it opens up a whole new world and makes the movie just so much more original and interesting. i thought they totally pulled off the storyline and the animation was just stunning. the only thing that didnt settle too well on me was the ending- it was too... perfect, but i still loved it ^-^ it was great how the movie made you want to believe it was real

I loved Princess Mononoke it was one of my favorites. I didn't mind the demon, because anime is full of them look at Inuyasha. That show is full of demons; its a show about a demon. The demons in Mononoke were pretty scarey though.

LoL. It would have been good without the demons? Please. Calling them demon, in my point of view, is not even correct since that word incites some degree of religion while the original Japanese word does not. The word demon is a rather vague way to refer to them. Most of them are simply objects and animals that lived or existed long enough to gain mystical powers. In English the only way to call them is "demon" because they really have no other word that can describe the Japanese word "Youkai" or "Mononoke". Demons, Monsters... same thing in Japanese mythology. We just refer to the entire category as "Youkai/Mononoke".

[font=stylus][color=blue][size=3]Thats a good way to look at it if you dont like the demon thing. I dont mind cause i've seen weirder demons in Ninja Scroll. If you think about, they were necessary cause one theme was that the forest was "magical", and the demons were part of the magic. My fav demon was the twitchy ghost thing(i cant remember what theyre called)[/font][/color][/size]