OtakuBoards

The Outsiders

Shwa

i just fiished reading The Outsiders and I have to say that was a really nice book, thrilling and suspencful at times, and sometimes even shocking! I thought it was a good book and I think i might read it again. Basically ita about a group of brothers (3 of them) and their friends in a gang. The youngest brother and his friend murders one of the opposites gang member by mistake and have to run away. I wont sopil the rest, tell me what you think about it (If you've read it)

~Laters

[font=Georgia][color=blue]I remember this book. The author was in her mid/late teens when she wrote this book. I was fairly impressed that she could write about such things at such an age. Maybe it wasn't so much that as it was getting herself noticed and published.[/color][/font]

[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]I can't say I have much else to say, since I don't remember much of the book anymore.[/color][/font]

We had to read "The Outsiders" for a Language Arts report, but I thank my teacher that we did because it is a very good book. It is very sad near the ending though, but it was a very fun book to read. The movie was blah though.

[spoiler]I liked it when the book ends with Ponyboy writing what had happen, which is the begining of the book.[/spoiler]

I had to read The Outsiders for school over this past summer. At first, I was skeptical about it becasue all they books they made us read in school were boring, but I ended up loving this book. The characters were some of the most well-done characters I've ever encountered in reading. The story was really quite enjoyable. Basically everything about this book was great, in my opinion. I'd definately recommend it to anyone looking for a good book.

Agreed,when I started to read the bookit didn't seem allthat interesting untilsome major plot twist came into it. We had to read the book i think in 7th or 8th grade english,but I really liked it. When i wen to library i saw the movie and checked it out, but it missed most of the book parts and just began in the middle which mademe mad. So I read the book again :D

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Gfoosh. Sorry, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I began this reply.

I saw your post title and began to laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and, well, you get the idea.

Anyway, I had to read this book earlier this year for English class, and I must say, I found it quite...mediocre. Don't get on to me about having to understand it, because I do. It's just...well, it was lacking alot, I thought. It was good in the middle, but the end was extrordinarily predictable--about halfway through I knew who was going to, well, you know...

Anyway, perhaps it's just that I have had this book in doses [I][B]way[/I][/B] too big for my tastes. It's even our school play. I have no idea why the drama teachers would choose this book, as it provides little flexibility for a play when it comes to scene lay-out. That and the fact that half of it will be people throwing themselves at each other hollering. I don't want to think about what they're going to do when Bob gets *spoilered*. Anyway, I'm actually on the costume design commitee.

My friends told me that I have to remembe the time and place. Id est: Ponyboy, Dally and the rest of 'em are NOT ninjas. They do NOT live in Konoha._ _U What's so great about anything that doesn't involve ninjas?! Eh?! Eh?!

_ _U

There's a character called Joney in our play. Nobody knows who he/she is, but we think they might be the bio-engineered hybrid of Pony and Johnny. >.> <.<[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I remember this book, I just read it recently. Actually, it wasn't all that bad. But I know the Author, S.E. Hinton or something, wrote this book for extra credit in english class. [spoiler]Just like Ponyboy[/spoiler] In fact, my teacher said that S.E. Was probably writing from experience, if you know what I mean. I honestly thought Ponyboy to be pretty damn queer, whcih I guess is faulted by the author, being a girl and all. Anyways, it wasn't a complete waste of time, though I can think of a thousand things I'd rather have done. Also, I find oddly enough that it reminds me of West Side Story; Don't ask me why.

[QUOTE]I find oddly enough that it reminds me of West Side Story; Don't ask me why.[/QUOTE]

I had that same idea when i was reading the book in the very middle, two gangs and how they fight a lot and stuff (too bad they didn't dance, XD). Also along with al the killing and losing a best fiend/boyfrinds/ person important to the other person, etc.

[color=green]I haven't read this book in a really long time, but in jr. high and high school it was my favorite. I've read it repeatedly. I would like to pick it up again. On the action it has frama and action, yes, but really it's got a deeper message. At least in my mind it did. I will say, it always did kind of feel like a creative writing assignment though.

I never liked the girl, I think Cherry was what they called her. I thought that she was weak in that she would [spoiler]spend time with Pony and his friends, so long as others didn't know about it. Once Johnny killed the guy in self defense though, she wouldn't step up to help them until the end.[/spoiler] I loved Dally. He's got the dicotomy of wreckless abadon and leadership I find really interesting. [spoiler]He's the one that goes to find Johnny and Ponyboy. He also saves a bunch of people at the church. In the end, he is the ultimate sacrifice of the story. He gives away his life to make one for his friends.[/spoiler]

I often wondered at the family dymanic of the story as well. Pony had two older brothers. Darry and Sodapop. They all did seem to have a familial love, but Darry seems to be the only on that feels a responsibility to the family unit. He is the only one working a job so Pony and Soda can go to school, or do whatever it is that they do. But, in the end, who seems more like family, the brothers, or Pony, Johnny and Dally?[/color]

• 1 month later...
Guest Joey Killer
[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I actually would have liked the story much better if my old seventh teacher hadn't FORCED me to read it.....

BUT (There's always a "but"), it was a great book. In class, we had to write essays about important plot elements and stuff......because I liked the book so much, I got easy "A's" so yeah....it's all good.....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Did anyone else knew that they made a movie of Outsiders??? When I saw it it really made me mad 'cause they took out the whole beginning and started in the movie scene with his brothers and Cherry on a date. They (the makers) completly skipped th ebeginning and how Ponyboy got that scratch on his head....it made me super pissast :flaming: :flaming:. But it was a good movie later on, very dramatic and stuff, when I saw the credits I didn't Know Tom Cruise was in the movie :eek: , that really surprised me.

~Laters

I was pissed too. I'm evil :devil: I know that I wanted to see ponyboy get jumped like in the book. Johnny cried to much though but my whole class loved the book now where reading Tex another one or the authors books. really good book. For a week me and some of my friends kept repeating "Lets Do it for Johnny Man!Johnny!" every time some thing darmatic happened in class. I noticed with S.E. Hinton's books some ones always smoking so far.

I had to read it also for a project on Language arts its almost the only book i liked expet [b][u]All Queit ON The Western Front[/u][/b] wich i think is supposed to be based on a reall story. Right now im reading [b][u]Proud Legions[/u][/b] wich is also another war novel after that im going to read [b][u]Apocolypse Now[/u][/b] wich is also a old war movie about Veitnam. But back returnedunopened wich some ppl should remember

[CODE]When that guy gets the letter back that he sent to his girlfreind and it was unopened[/CODE]

Overall this was a good book also when s.e. hinton wrote this book when she was in school her la teacher said that it blew wich i bet she didt say now lol :)