OtakuBoards

Good or Evil, which do you like better?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=violet]I've been pondering this question for a while, so now I'm going to spring it on you people.

When it comes to anime or manga, who do you like better, the good guys or the bad guys? And why do you feel the way you do?

For me, it's usually the bad guys. The good guys always win of course, but tehre are so many moral issues and sometimes it just gets cliched. Besides, admit it, didn't you like the evil queen better than Snow White in Snow White and the Seven Drawfs?

Besides, some of my most favorite characters are evil, Kagura, Sesshomaru, Ascione, and Soi to name a few. Evilness is cool because in some ways we all wish that we could get some sort of revenge and not have to pay for it. So what are your veiws?[/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I think I like the bad guys better in most cases. For example, Treize from Gundam Wing was excellently portrayed. He wasn't truly evil, but I believe him to be to be the best antagonist in any anime. My next favorite would have to be Sesshoumaru, even though he is evil, he still has honor. Had the chance to kill Inuyasha(when he'd transformed without his Tetusaiga) but didn't because Inuyasha didn't know who he himself was.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

But then again, *none* of the characters in G-Wing are portrayed as evil, they all have a sense that they simply have taken another route to get what's done and the only reason it's a bad choice is because of the means they use.

Anyway, when it comes down to it, I think I prefer the good guys. Not because they win, and not because of the moral issues.
I write fan-fics and when it comes to it, good guys are so much more fun to design. There are certain trends to all evil guys, they can be classified into certain groups or you can see yourself liking parts of them because of just who they are.

But good guys... now there's the thing, anyone can make a good guy, they can make them strong, weak, different, the same as a whole group, even make them extensions of themselves. But what is tough to do with a good guy is make them likeable.
It's so hard to make a super-hero or a main character that has the abillity to be the saviour of the world, but still make them somebody to relate to.
To make them somebody that people can see all of the obvious faults in, and to have the characters themselves in some way aware of those faults too. To give them weaknesses that in some ways and cases far outweigh the strengths.

But that isn't all. What, in every series that you've seen involving mecha, magic or sword/martial arts, is the main thing that every character gets? A power boost. Every time that a hero emerges some villain becomes too powerful for them, but because of the very nature of a good guy they can train/upgrade/get a new weapon, and manage to beat this strong opponent.
(Think DBZ that's the one that does it over and over again, doesn't it?)

So that's why I prefer the good guys, because they're a challenge to make, and because they have so much room for improvement.

(I wonder if anyone else will take this view?)

[COLOR=#503F86]For me, it really depends on how the character's portrayed. In most children's anime it's very clear-cut: you have a good guy who, not necessarily being infallible, is always true to the heroic cause, moral and just. The bad guys are almost consistently evil and enjoy torturing their opposers as often as possible.

With animes like Gundam Wing, it's very hard to tell who is actually evil. At least, when I first started watching it about half-way through the series I couldn't tell what was going on. I was sure Heero was actually the bad guy and the war was just a backdrop to the rest of the Gundams trying to bring him down. But all of the characters are seen as being honourable and fighting for a just cause- whether their ideas seem right or not in context of the show is the only way of actually telling. For example, [spoiler]Heero destroyed that plane full of world leaders even though he didn't mean to; while Sechs and Treize are trying to fight for the good of their world.[/spoiler] It's a very well-written series because it really emphasises that there's little difference between the sides when it comes to war. Good or evil, both have their reasons and it almost never ends until one or both sides are completely destroyed.

Generally, I'll side with the good guys. I find I can identify more with them and their personalities rather than those of the baddies. Mind you, if a baddie is written really well and has a decent amount of depth to their personality (turncoats from either side tend to be a great balance) then they can be a favourite character. I prefer happy endings though, so if all of the characters I like make it to the end regardless of which side they're on, I'm happy.[/COLOR]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=century]I think that I can't up and say who I prefer, because it' s a case by case basis...type of thing. However, Bad Guys have abn added edge to them initially. Why?

It's easy, for me at least, to understand why someone would do the Right Thing. What I'm a bit more interested in, is why would a person do the Wrong Thing? A well-written bad guy can be far more interesting than a well-written good guy.

However, it really depends on the character; I don't like guys that are uber-evil, killing left and right and whatnot. However, in general, I'm interested a bit more in the Bad Guys before I learn anything about them, so I'd guess I'd say I like them better.[/color][/size][/font]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I happen to prefer the good. The villian is always so stereotypical, always wanting world domination or to kill the hero/heroine or something lame of the sort. Of course, you could always say that the hero/heroine is stereotypical, too, but the villian isn't usually caught up in some sort of strange love triangle, which is what usually gets me addicted to a series. And if the villian is, then I will always prefer the protagonists over him/her. I don't know, I guess I'm not really attracted to the "bad boys" unless they are the "good guy." ^_^;[/color][/size]

Guest third eye blind
Good or evil, that's a hard question to answer. I find its great to be evil sometimes because the villian always seems to be stronger. But, in the climactic ending, he/she always loses due to his/her own mistakes. Good always prevails, it's just as simple as that. I have to say 50:50 on this.

..::Third Eye Blind::..

While I?ve seen animes where I?ve loved the good guys, I do have a tendency to prefer the bad guys. Probably because when they are well-written and well thought out, they tend to be the more complicated characters, especially when there?s a reason why they?re evil, but they do not see themselves as evil (Take for example Knives from Trigun. We all know he?s evil, but he doesn?t view himself as evil. Just remember the spider/butterfly analogy. Another example would be Gendo...anyone that?s seen Eva knows his driving force and one can almost feel sorry for him). In the end, all good guys have this moral code about them...that?s why they?re good, even if they seem really ****** up. (Though, Alucard from Hellsing...technically is a good guy...but...well read the manga. xD)

With a villain, you?re more free to do as you please, thus allowing more creativity into the character. There aren?t many limits with a villain as there are with the hero. Also, when one makes an amazing villain, you either truly love them or hate them...they invoke emotions. So do heroes, but it?s more rare to see a villain do that to people.

I admit, I love happy endings, but they become cliché...though, there have been some endings that are happy but I didn?t expect them, like Trigun. [spoiler]I really thought Vash was gonna wipe him out...even if it seemed against his nature...Knives had taken so much from Vash...but yeah.OO; *sniffs* I think I?m gonna go watch Trigun again! ><;[/spoiler]

[color=violet]MOst villains don't seem to think that they're doing anything wrong. Take Masao from MArs as an example.

Masao felt that he was justified because human nature as he said was naturally violent. He felt that killing was essential to survival. OF course most would probably dispute his reasonings, but he felt that they were valid.

Another good example is probablt queen NEhelenia from SailorMOonSs. She felt justified because she felt she had been wronged by the people of teh white moon. Sure, in the end of the first arc of the Stars anime they found all she wanted was a friend, but in the manga she was evil.

Final example is KAgura from INuYasha. She fights because Naraku has her heart and could kill her at any time. That's why she's evil.

I guess the reason that I like the villains is because there's no cut and dry reason for them to be evil. They have actual reasons. Well, except for Sesshomaru in the beginning of InuYasha, I think he just enjoys being bad.[/color]

Great thread, Chibi! ^_^

Given only those two option, I'd have to go with evil. But my favorite characters are usually either neutral--they serve their own interests, rather than following the mandates of a particular side--or were [i]formerly[/i] "evil." There's nothing more alluring than a bad guy reluctantly doing good.

Kurama (from Yu Yu Hakusho) is an excellent example of this. A fascinating, complicated character, Kurama used to be incredibly bloodthirsty and manipulative. He didn't hesitate to kill, and was renowned for his extraordinary avarice. Yet Kurama now fights solely to protect his beloved mother. Although he still enjoys toying with his enemies, his cruelty has been replaced by compassion. Kurama's personality is a perfect mixture of good and evil elements, and that's why he's beloved by fangirls worldwide. ^_~

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Hmmm...it depends on the individual characters for me, most of the time.

I tend to side with the good guys, solely because I have this hate for people who just kill and kill and undergo no remorse. If any one has read any of my posts about more controversial topics, then they would probably have asumed this.

However, a cool bad guy is never undesireable. As far as character types go, I prefer the neutral, powerful-but-lazy, not-wanting-to-take-a-life guys. There's something oh-so-cool about the way some people can just say, "Ah, screw it..." and wander off to go buy some dango (or something of the same nature). But, if they decide they care about something...*maniacal laughter*

Wow. What a using-hyphons-alot post. Heh.

Bad guys who are simply [I]bad[/I] for no real reason are no fun. Neither are good guys who have no identifiable motivation. I think the best kind of story is one where they get you sided with one party, though the other isn't necessarily bad. You don't feel guilty for siding with the other "team" that way. Heh.

Did that make any sense at all? _ _U Oh well, you're all bright enough to "bend a penatrative eye" and figure out what I was trying to say. :p [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Definately the evil ones. They have all the really awesome "toys" with which to cause havoc. :devil: Also, they do seem to have more depth in anime then they do in any of those recycled Hollywood movies. Proof of this is in [I]Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory[/I], where the bad guy (Blond haired one, forgot the name) is trying to use a Gundam with a nuke (which violates some law in the series) to honor his fallen allies, and show the Federation the true horrors of war. He was a bad guy with honor, morals, and a purpose that had nothing to do with pure killing.

I think the bad guys are given a lot more credit in anime then any American movie. They are smart, well prepared, and occasionally border on being almost good, or having what could be viewed are good intentions. And besides, they are not as restricted by conflicts of morals, which leaves then open to create trouble (which is always fun to watch).

Evil. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to villains; evil, arrogant, cruel, calculating, etc. Evil people just seems more 'together' then heroes. This is as they're better at having plans then heroes, who just seem to run around in a reactionary manner to ruin the evil plans.

The best examples of 'classical' villians seem to be Kagato (Tenchi Muyo) and Il Pallazzo (Excel Saga). They just seem like great, reliable villians who don't do any of that changing of sides, and as such just show why villians are more interesting.

[color=darkslateblue]Hm...I prefer to like the villians more. The hereoes and good goodies very much get on my nerves, and I wish for the villians to win usually, but it usually won't happen.

Another reason I prefer them over hereoes, is because my personality is not goody goody, it's more on the evil side, and I'm pretty proud of that. So prefering heroes over villians in my opinion is basically liking the character because it reflects your own personality the most. There are many other reasons, but I will not list them. ^_~
Though I very much have to agree with Queen Asuka, the villian usually wants to take over the world, and it kinda is really annoying, but I should keep expecting that, since there are many other animes who do just that.[/color]

Id have to go with the villens wether they are evil or jus percived that way by the good guys. I would have to agree with what was said early and say my fav "bad guy" wolud have to be trize,hes charismatic and insipres his men evan more than the gboys in my veiw.(and yet isnt compleatly adverse to a bit of killing.) who else is a good villen.......oh yeah! the baddies from ninja scroll they absolutely rocked... i mean the blind dude...wow!!!!!! :devil: :devil: plus the evil side gets much more complex charectors, who get to say cool things...yes im firmly with the dark side of the force.

[quote name='HeadShotOmega']It really just depends on the characters to decide what I like.[/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]'Ello and welcome to the OtakuBoards! I see that you know your grammar and punctuation, but here we ask that you put a little more into your posts and make it at least longer than one sentence. Thank you!

*QA*[/color][/size]

Guest pocky amenbou
[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]hmm, well for me it's hard to pick. =\ overall, i say good. number one for this reason is that all of my "men" are gewd, and the rest of teh 'bad' ish ugly. 'cept for legato. >.>; but yush, for meh, gewd. (^0^)v[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]I apologize for nit-picking, but although deliberate mis-spellings (gewd, teh, ish, etc.) are occasionally amusing, they get old really, [i]really[/i] fast. Anyway, these kinds of non-words can make your sentences rather difficult to read, and OtakuBoards values coherency.

Thank you for your time. ^_^

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=navy]The only factor that really decides the matter for me is how violent each side is. Or how sadistic they are. Or if they use swords, blades, etc... sharp shiny objects of the nature. In most cases, this tends to lean more on the side of evil, so I usually prefer villains over the do-gooders. There are exceptions, of course. Hell Sing has a nice, violent vampire as the good side, and also a blade wielding priest on the semi-good side, so i would prefer the do-gooders over the villians in this case. Cowboy Bebop, on the other hand, has Vicious as the villian so I would lean towards evil. Case by case as someone mentioned.[/size][/color]

Guest kawaiivincent
[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua]I like villans better than heros. They seem smarter than most good guys and I dunno they are all togethor more easily liked. take cloud versus rufus for instants. I would take Rufus over Cloud any day. :devil: [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

the one thing i like is a good bad guy

not one who kills just whatever moves but with a goal
with a strong sense of honor
and a soul darkened beyond your darkest imagination
eyes that make you see that darkness
silent type

those are the marks of a good bad guy

for good guys i would reccomend someone like tidus from final fantasy x or hatake kakashi from naruto
to describe a good guy is harder but here it goes

one that pushes his limmits further and further
one that will rather die than one of his friends
one that allways seem to surprise you when you think one`s done
(if a female) no weakness in potential, capable for herself, yet functional in a group
realistic

some of the basics i guess but essential to a good charakter