OtakuBoards

What new manga/manwha are you reading now?

Monkey_Orange

I agree about the Viz shipment dates, they're about as bad as darkhorse.

I mean, it doesn't take fourth months to read a Hellsing manga!

well the real reason I'm writting is not to complain about other manga companies but about the new release of RAVE Master.

Has anyone read it yet? Or does anyone know about it? I thought about buying it, but, I guess I'd like an oppinion first before I get myself into a manga that doesn't really intrest me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I was over at Borders yesterday and decided to read a manwha called [B]Under the Glass Moon[/B]. Has anyone else read it? What did you think?

I think that there are a total of 3 volumes in the series. I only read the first volume so far--the store didn't carry any of the other books. I've never really read anything as gothic and dark-looking as this story, so to me, it was interesting. I enjoyed reading the first book--but I don't think I'll actually buy it, though. I've already commited myself to two other series. ^^

[QUOTE]well the real reason I'm writting is not to complain about other manga companies but about the new release of RAVE Master. Has anyone read it yet? Or does anyone know about it? [/QUOTE]

I have volume 1 of [B]Rave Master[/B]. If I can recall, it was a pretty good story. Good shonen action ^^ My 8-year old brother looves it! However, I decided not to continue buying the series because the anime is coming to Cartoon Network. BUT, I will tell you that the anime itself will not contain the ending of the story itself--kinda like [B]Fruits Basket[/B] and [B]Rurouni Kenshin[/B]. Despite that, if you are still interested in a story that is strong in action and adeventure, then go for [B]Rave Master[/B].
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][b]Edit-[/b] YES!!!

Today I was finally able to pick up [B]Angel Sanctuary 1[/B] and [B]DNAngel[/B].

I've been waiting quite awile for these series--especially for Angel Sanctuary, whose OVA was NOT satisfying at all.

:D
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Edit2- Yep!

Today I finally was able to pick up [B]Angel Sanctuary 1[/B] and [B]DNAngel 1[/B]. I've been waiting for these series for quite awhile--especially for Angel Sanctuary whose OVA were NOT satifying at all :D
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Please stop double posting. You've been warned.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=green][size=1]

I'm currently reading:

[B]Ranma 1/2:[/B] I finally gotta hold of the volumes from 1-8 or 9 at my Library and I'm in the middle of volume 2. I now know why its considered a classic. I wish I were Ryoga now....

[B]Naruto:[/B] I own volume's 1 and 2 and I'm waiting for 3 to hurry it way on up, but I've already seen all the important parts ([spoiler]Haku and Zabuza's grizzly death[/spoiler]) but I still wanna get it and see all the fillings to the broken peices I've read already.

[B]Marvels:[/B] Not technically manga since its an American Graphic Novel, but its still excellent. I just finished it today. It follows the life of a photojournalist who follows the beggining and present of the Marvel U. Starting with the Human Torch and Namor and WW2, then it goes along with the beggining of the Avengers and Fantastic Four, then the introduction of the anti-heroes like the X-Men and Spider Man, and then with the whole Galactus/Silver Surfer on Earth thing, and then it ends around the time when Gwen Stacy is killed. I love it realism.

I plan on reading "Harlem Beat" when I'm done with reading the "Ranma 1/2" books. They got volume 1 threw like 10 there in the TokyoPop Graphic Novel format, so its a good, long read. Can't wait.[/color][/size]

[color=#30415d]*shudder* Messy topic, but I'll still put my two cents in. <.<

Well, it was only about.. a month or so ago that I jumped on the manga bandwagon. I've always just gotten the anime version whenever I had the chance in the past. Well, I had [b]Flame of Recca 1[/b] since around New Years, but I figured that it was a one-shot deal. Then about 5 weeks ago, but brother went out and bought [b]Rurouni Kenshin 1[/b], [b]2[/b] and [b]3[/b], and [b]Trigun 1[/b]. So I guess you could say that I'm in the process of reading the Flame of Recca and Rurouni Kenshin series even though I've already finished what I have, since there's still more out there for me to read, though aparently Kenshin 4 isn't out in America yet. I haven't read Trigun yet, because it's pretty thick (well, thicker than Kenshin), done by a manga company other than Shonen Jump (or by company, do they mean Viz? Either way, I'm picky), and because my brother didn't reeally like it too much, keeping in mind that Trigun is pretty much his favorite anime. I'll get to it eventually.

Then two days ago, I was at a mall and decided to pick up [b]Naruto 1[/b], [b]2[/b], and [b]3[/b] (they didn't have anything above 3 at the store, or I probably would have gotten that too, lol), and I'm halfway done with the first one. So technically, this is the only manga that I'm literally [i]in the process[/i] of reading. :)[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I was at the mall yesterday and picked up volumes 1 & 2 of [B]Juvenile Orion[/B]. This is the first time i bought manga published by [I]Broccoli Books[/I]--the quality is quite nice [thick cover and heavy in weight].

The story isn't very orginal [in the sense that it's one of those 'most stop the raging apocalypse' stories] BUT it is entertaining ^^

Also, I didn't know it was actually based on a card game called Aquarian Age [i don't really like the 'aqaurian age' name 'cause it sounds soo hippy ^^;].

Nonetheless, I am absolutely LOVING the series the so far. How to describe it? Well, it's fantasy, adventure, romance, and hints of shounen-ai. Great artwork. And, the series just OOZES with yummy bishies. CHECK IT OUT!!!
[/COLOR]

Geez, our library has such a horrible selection it's really hard to tell the comics from the manga. There's...ONE DBZ manga. :flaming:

Anyways...I'm broke, so I'm reading...

[B]Saiyuki[/B]
[B]Samurai Deeper Kyo[/B]

That's about it...

--BLUE

Don't you just hate it when you spend a bunch of time writing up a post and then have your computer "hicccup" and loose it all! I will try to sum up what I was going to post about manga.....

I am currently in the process of reading Saiyuki. The downside is the next volume comes out next month so I have to wait. It makes me wonder if it is better to wait until the entire series is released before starting. Good thing is you don't have to wait for the next one to be released, the bad part is the hit your pocket book takes. I can't imagine trying to buy all of Ranma 1/2 in one purchase! If only I had to the money to do that sort of thing!

This past weekend I picked up volumes 1 through 5 of Kare Kano. I have been looking forward to reading this series. I haven't had a chance to start into it yet since I keep forgetting to get it when I leave for work. I love being able to sit down and read manga at lunchtime!

On a side note, I am very jealous of those of you who can pick up manga at the library. My hometown library doesn't carry manga. More than likely they don't even know what it is. This thread to me has been a great source of information on what mangas are out there. Thanks everyone!

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I have decided to resume reading [B]Rave Master[/B]--so today I purchased [B]Rave Master 2[/B] *^^* and placed orders for volumes 3 & 4.

I also picked up a copy of [B]Prince of Tennis 1[/B]->very excited to read *^^*

Strange. I've been suddenly swept into the world of Shounen :cool: . Tee hee...I guess that's what I get for overdosing on too much Shoujo [it's not like it's a bad thing ^^;].

BUT, change is good, neh?

I'm happy :D
[/COLOR]

Guest gendou ikari
I am currently reading:

Full Metal Panic- A well made mecha action manga with humor and nudity. :devil:

Chobits- Wonderfully made, with a compelling sci-fi plot.The characters seem [b]alive[/b]

Inuyasha- A fairly good medieval anime, with demons and a constantly repeating plot.

Naruto- A very well made, character developing manga.

Brigadoon- An average mecha, with a slight twist.

Rorouni Kenshin- Great samurai manga.

Evangelion- wonderful,well made, compelling and thought provoking with the best character development I have ever seen. This series remains by far, my favorite anime and manga.

Shaman King- Fairly original plot, with a hint of character development.

GTO- well made school anime from the original eyes of a teacher.

Azumanga Daioh- Laugh out loud funny...It's amazing!

Gundam 0079- Wll made mecha with a heap of action and a realistic plot.

Some Fan comic- not that it would matter.

Anyway, I could probably go upstairs and check my incredibly large manga collection, but that would take too long.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I have obtained 7 Inu-Yasha manga within the past six months (#1, 2, 4, 7, 13, 14, 15), I own (more like "discovered") a Scryed manga (#1), my brother has the first One Piece manga, I have Shonen Jump #13 and I have read: most of the Shonen Jump, my brother's One Piece, his friend's Rurouni Kenshin (#1), a good portion of Inu-Yasha, I'm working on my friend's Chobits #1 (and will finish it if he ever finds it again), Love Hina (#1) and Maddi-chan's Death manga. "Death- At Death's Door" is the only one in the Death series that is true manga. The rest is in Westren animation. >__<[/COLOR]

[color=green][size=1]

The newest manga I've read is called Harlem Beat and I LOVE IT! I mean, its just a great manga in my eyes. Its about a compulsive quitter who isn't good at anything until he finds an old, run down half court in the back alleys of the red light area in Tokyo were he discovers the sub culture of Street Basketball. Never have I felt so close to a manga in relatedness. I love it. I suggest anyone that likes sports or humor pick it up.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=navy]Currently reading multiple mangas... it takes time for the new mangas from Japan to be shipped to the U.S., and I tend to be rather impatient. I started with reading just two, then three, then four... I've accumulated quite a large collection. Anyway, list below.

Trigun Maximum - Can't wait for 10 to come out. Great battle scenes, though blood and gore and mutilated body parts inevitably follow each of them.

Evangelion - Rumor is 9 came out in Japan. But the closest Japanese bookstore stocks too slow...

Rurouni Kenshin - Completed all 28 books, rereading them now and again, slowly growing less and less fond of it.

Peace Maker Kurogane - Currently up to 4, with the plot getting darker and darker... I personally enjoy it.

Big O - Completed all 6 books, it should never be touched by any anime fan since it plain out sucks.

Hell Sing - Currently up to 6, with the plot being repetitive... the main character is invincible so why bother?

Reservoir Chronicle Tsubasa - Newest one in my collection, thoroughly enjoying the characters and the parallel universes they travel. Kurogane + Fai combo is great.

xXxHolic - Also loving this due to the gothic artwork and it's collaboration with the story of Resevoir Chronicle Tsubasa. [/size][/color]

Guest Suke
[FONT=Arial SIZE=1 COLOR=DarkRed] I just recently got into manga, and in the process of making my own. Lesse...right now, I'm reading:

[B]Saiyuki[/B] (1 and waiting for 2)
[B]Faeries' Landing[/B] (1, soon 2)
[B]Shaman King[/B] (1,2,3)
[B]Yu Yu Hakusho[/B] (1,2)

Those are my favorites...then there's one I borrow from my friend every month. The US translates it to Child's Toy, but I read the Japanese version of it. I also read Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, and sometimes One Piece. I really wanna get Rurouni Kenshin, though I have seen the TV series already. Demon Diary is good, but I'm not allowed to read it -_-. Other than all those, I read manga from Shonen Jump, mostly.

I was thinking about getting Hellsing, but thanks to [QUOTE]Metatron: "Currently up to 6, with the plot being repetitive... the main character is invincible so why bother?"[/QUOTE] I probably won't. [/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][quote name='Suke][FONT=Arial SIZE=1 COLOR=DarkRed'] Demon Diary is good, but I'm not allowed to read it -_-. [/FONT][/quote]

Really? Why? How strange...

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the [B]Demon Diary[/B] thread??? I just finished the series and was kinda feeling like discussing, but the thread is no where to be found *sighs*

I'll just keep my comments to myself then :o [/COLOR]

[color=firebrick] I just got [b]RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE TSUBASA[/b] <---yes, that's how it's actually spelled, and I have one word: awesome.

I rarely come across a manga that catches my interest greatly, but this is a fine job of that. ^_~ I knew about the manga before it came to America, so I was already anticipating it anyway. The manga is a crossover with various CLAMP mangas, mainly [b]XXXHolic[/b] and [b]CardCaptorSakura[/b]. It's set in the land of Clow, where Touya is the king and Sakura is the princess. Syaoran is an archeaologist trying to discover more about the history of the land, and Yuki is this priest...with the power of the moon as before. Basically, Sakura looses her memories and she's going to die soon, so Syaoran and some other guys, Kurugane from ancient Japan and Fai D. Flowright from the land of Sresu [Fai's my favorite character so far] have to go on a journey to find her 'heart'.

I think the art is amazing, and I adore the outfits and staffs and such that the manga has. ^_^. All the characters have pretty long limbs, but I like that for some reason. >_>. The dialogue is a bit weird but it gets pretty good as you read in further. Kurugane is pretty hilarious at times, especially when he encounters this witch... The whole book is just very funny and pleasurable to read. :) I can't wait for the second volume.

Surprisingly, the manga was not picked up by Tokyopop as I had heard before. It was liscenced by DelRey books....I've never heard of them before. *raises eyebrow* I should check out their website.

EDIT: Del Rey is a very new manga producer, and it just opened this month with four new mangas: Reservoir Chronicles Tsubasa, XXXHolic, Negima, and Gundam Seed.[/color]

[b]Eerie Queerie[/b] makes the perfect replacement for Demon Diary. It's hilarious, heart-warming and packed with shounen-ai; the first book alone contains more obvious BL content than all seven volumes of DD. I haven't felt this enthusiastic about a shounen-ai manga since I started reading Gravitation. ^_^

[b]Hana-Kimi[/b] and the unflipped edition of [b]Banana Fish[/b] are the next items on my wish list. I saw a small portion of both these manga in the Viz spring preview compilation (which is currently available through Suncoast, and totally owns the Tokyopop sampler).

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1][b]Eerie Queerie[/b] makes the perfect replacement for Demon Diary.
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Yeah, I was thinking about checking out [B]Eerie Queerie [/B] but something about the art just turned me off.

As for [B]HanaKimi[/B], you should definitely check it out ^^ I'm totally loving every bit of the story. :D

[/COLOR]

hmmm....I'm currently reading/collecting

love hina
ah my goddess
Fruits basket
angel sanctuary
the ring series (yes, there's more than 1 book)

After I'm finshed w/ love hina and ah my goddess I plan on picking up

clover
alice 19th
battle royale

Tokyo Bablyon, CLAMP's X/1999 sidestory/precursor, is possibly the best manga I've read in months. The art's a bit dated, but the hilarity of the characters' interactions more than makes up for artwork that's unassumingly pretty, rather than ostentatiously beautiful. And the dialouge...! Below all the series' comedy, action and mysticism are complex, well-crafted layers of metaphor and symbolism that provide the manga with an engaging yet not overwhelming amount of substance. The (potential) romance between Subaru and Seishirou dominates the book, predictably, but humbly provides enough intrigue and humour to create a vibrant tale suitable even for the least appreciative of CLAMP's unsubtle odes to shounen-ai without sacrificing any of the dignity or detail of the relationship for those of us who do like less conventional couplings.

I'm tempted to call this the definitive CLAMP shounen-ai manga, so I will.

[quote name='Cahoots34']Tokyo Bablyon, CLAMP's X/1999 sidestory/precursor, is possibly the best manga I've read in months.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]*sighs* I just can't do it! I just can't bring myself up to read this manga ~~

I saw it at the bookstore the other day and took a look. Of course it was nice seeing Subaru and Sieshiro again ^^

But then I was instantly thrown back into my "X" days and suddenly felt very sad. I just can't do it--can't read it knowing what happens in the end. :(
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Edit- I picked up [B]Hana-Kimi 2[/B]. I read it, and loved it! The characters are wonderful ^^

I also added another title to my manga collection: [B]Chrono Crusade[/B]. I seriously forgot about the release date, but am happy that I spotted it on the shelf *^^*
[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]*sighs* I just can't do it! I just can't bring myself up to read this manga ~~

[/QUOTE]

i felt the same way but...i just HAD to read it..but it just feel's strange since ALL dramatic tension has been lost if you have read X...why couldnt they have translated TB earlier
Im reading more Vampire Princess Miyu..the art is to die for and..ohh larva!!!!!
read 1-6 of FAKE but couldnt get 7 since my store doesnt carry it..( which is sooo dumb)