OtakuBoards

What new manga/manwha are you reading now?

Monkey_Orange

I don't have much mony so I read on the internet.
Now, I'm reading Inuyasha and I just can't belive how long it is.

I have already read:
Chocolate Christmas
Maria
The Cherry Project (volume 1 to volume 3)
Miss Rain
Prism Time
PQ Angels
Toki Meka
Love Witch
Ayashi no ceres
Rurouni Kenshin (volume 1 to volume 28)
Full Moon O Sagashite

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have alot of manga books stacked up in my room. along with comics.
i love manga to a great extent but i admitt i havent gotten anythign new, nor have i looked at my collection lately.
it made me blush then but yesterday my mom was walking through the kitchen and threw a book at me. she found it under her bed. it was a Sailor Moon manga book. from 3th grade. and i thought to myself... god i have been into manga for a god awful long time. thats at least 8 years. heh. my favorite has always been.. if you have heard of it.. Appleseed. only because none of my friends had ever heard of it.. it was the whole futeristic cyborg world genre. heh.
god, sailor moon.. *emberassed* i have long since evolved to more extravigant and interesting mangas since then.

Right now I've been reading the first few volumes of both Ragnorak and The Chronicles Of The Cursed Sword. They're both pretty good but I like Ragnorak more. I also wanna get the rest of the Yu Yu Hakusho books that are missing from my collection. One more thing. Everybody keeps talking about reading manga on the internet. Where can you find them?

I'm actually a newbie to manga. ^_^;;

Anyways, right now I just finished reading the first volume of Tsubasa and I have the first three volumes to Naruto in my room.

I wanna get .hack - Legend of the Twilight and Digimon Tamers (season 3 in the anime). Hmm, I don't know what I really want besides those two and the two series that I own. Ugh, August seems like a long time from now until the next volume of Naruto comes.

I get my manga from Waldenbooks. They have a lot there. More than the Barnes & Noble near my house.

Right now I'm reading several series at the same time. I guess I'll list them in how much I've read:

Hellsing
Trigun
Yu-Gi-Oh!
DN Angel
Digimon Tamers
Evangelion
Fushigi Yuugi
Gundam Wing (well, not really... more like Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz and Episode Zero... so not the actual series...)

I also really want to read Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, and Priest. Don't seem to have enough money though...

[color=darkblue]All right. Enough is enough.

I've been watching this thread for a while now, and I've seen it become nothing but a list of mangas that people are reading. True, there are some posts here that actually go into some detail (as they should), but the majority are just the previously-mentioned lists.

If I see that this thread continues along these lines, I'll have to shut it down. Trust me, I don't want to do that. It has definate potential (as it did when it started).

To keep this thing alive, try going into why you bought the manga you did. Give your entire opinion on it, not just "I liked this part!" Why did you like that part? What was so special about it? Give it some depth!

All I'm asking for is a little effort, overall. Not too much, really. Try it out for me. As a favor.[/color]

[U]Currently Collecting[/U]
[B]Dragon Knights[/B] - I love the characterization in this manga. Plot complexes and character development are AMAZING
[B]Demon Diary[/B] - Hilarious, unique plot. The characters aren't new, but they're jazzed up so it seems like they are
[B]Fruits Basket[/B] - EMOTIONAL. One word that describes this. First thought "This is a cute, funny, upbeat manga." Heh, I think that's what everyone thinks at first. Well, this "cute, funny, upbeat manga" continueously forces me to tear up at the least. Some parts are REALLY depressing.
[B]Kill Me, Kiss Me[/B] - I've always been a sucker for cross-dressing plots to seek romance. It's just.. one of those weird things I have. And this fully satisfies that hunger for crossdressing plots.
[B]Vampire Game[/B] - Vampire reincarnated as a cat. That's all I have to say. Full of twists, romance, and comedy. Vampire Game can do no wrong.
[B]Snow Drop[/B] - BEAUTIFUL manwha. The characters, plot, setting, everything is so beautiful. One of those stories that can freeze your heart or make you feel warm and fuzzy depending

[U]Paused[/U] (Buy them when I can, closer to the top the more I want them. Number is where I left off)
[B]Mars 2[/B] - This is by far the best shojo manga/manwha I've ever read. The characters and events are so carefully planned that it's all so believable. I swear you feel like you're falling in love with someone you shouldn't yourself while you read it.
[B]Planet Ladder 2[/B] - Okay. One word. GORGEOUS. This is the most beautiful art I've ever seen. The storyline is intriguing as it is, but the art is.. oh my gosh, just.. I can't get enough of it. It's gorgeous.
[B]Tokyo Mew Mew 5[/B] - Adorable. Normally I look at magical girl manga roll my eyes a bit, but.. okay.. I LOVE cats (and that Rui not bad either)
[B]Dragon Hunter 4[/B] - Oh I wish I had more money to buy this one as it comes out. Cliffhangers left and right in this. In fact the whole story's a cliff hanger! How I manage to only buy it when I can is beyond me, especially being this far into it.
[B]Rave Master 4[/B] - Musica is amazing. There. I said it. I love Musica. Crazy manwha (ehh, correct me if I'm wrong. I THINK it's a manwha). I swear that manga-ka must be insane or something XD No. Actually I predict that in years to come, this'll be known as one of those classics.
[B]Rebirth 3[/B] - Another huge cliffhanger story. Does she love him? Does he love her? Wait, this is a gothic shonen manwha, not a romantic shojo manwha... Right? I never know what to expect. That vampire could kill her or kiss her at any moment. I expect neither and both at the same time. Weird, huh?
[B]Flame of Recca 2[/B] - Loved the anime, so I started collecting the manga. Mikigami should be the main character XP Anyways, I'm hoping the ending fulfills more then the anime ending did.
[B]Fushigi Yugi 1, 4, and 5[/B] - Beautiful artwork. To come up with these stories [I]and[/I] draw that wonderfully, that Yu Watase is one talented girl
[B]Kare Kano 1[/B] - Ultimate romance story. Okay, I already said that about Mars (or almost that), but then we'll just have to make room for this one. It was the same as Flame of Recca, I saw the anime so I decided to collect the manga. Not disappointed either XP (Darn that money)
[B]Samurai Deeper Kyo 1[/B] - Watched anime. Bought manga. Are you noticing a connection? When I watch the anime, then buy the manga I take my time collected the manga. Still, I adore the characters (I adore a lot of characters don't I?)
[B]Gravitation 1[/B] - Watched anime, bought manga. It's just not the same without the J-pop constantly in your ears, but good storyline none-the-less. It's much different. Much different.
[B]Inu-Yasha 1[/B] - Watched anime, bought manga (Hmm.. I wonder how long that pattern will keep up). I'm a sucker for beautiful art, and while Takahashi's a master of major plots and characters, he's not the best artist in the world.. That's my downside to this.
[B]Yu-Gi-Oh 2 [/B] - Ehh, it got repetitive. Good, but the plot seemed to be on instant replay.
[B]Magic Knight Rayearth 2[/B] - Cute. Very cute *observing Ferio* OH! You want to know about the manga! Well, it's... cute. I guess XP I'm not a mecha fan. So those through me off.
[B]Love Hina 5[/B] - This is the one my friends are constantly bugging me to buy more of so they can steal it from me.
[B]Shaolin Sisters 3[/B] - I love it, but it seems somewhat repetitive and overdone... I don't know. It just sort of got old for me...
[B]Yu Yu Hakusho 1[/B] - I saw the anime, and thought "Hey! The manga's normally A LOT better!" and I already loved the anime so I bought this and it was almost identical to the anime. Eventually I'll buy more and hope it changes.
[B]Real Bout High School 1 [/B] - I have no comment on this one. Most people rave. I have no comment.
[B]Card Captor Sakura 1[/B] - Cuteish. My second manga series.
[B]Sailor Moon StarS 1[/B] - Better then the original, which hardly happens.
[B]King of Hell 1[/B] - I forget. I bought it a long time ago. So, I'll just call it forgettable.
[B]Sailor Moon 2 [/B] - My first manga series. Well, it doesn't look like this collection will be expanding anytime soon. It's beautiful none-the-less. Just not my style anymore.
[B]Full Metal Panic 1[/B] - Confused the heck outta me. I'm still confused...

I just realized how many series I buy 1 manga of then stop XD It's not because I don't like them, I just don't have the money to buy all of them

I have the one time manga (What do you call those? The manga that aren't series. I don't collect those often, I like characterization too much) Popcorn Romance. GREAT story. I wish it was a series instead of doing it all in one shot.

[U]Manga I'll Collect Soon[/U] (Same as before, closer to the top, more I want them)
[B]Marmalade Boy[/B] - I stole the first few volumes from a friend (Yes, I gave them back. So I guess that's called borrowing). Okay. I have a third series to add onto my "Ultimate Shojo" list.
[B]Hana Yori Dango[/B] Make that four. I'm collecting the anime and it's one of the BEST in a long time. I'm usually not into the older style animation but.. The plot, the characters. It's all genius.
[B]Kodocha[/B] Make that five. Aww, kids in love. Not much more to add (loving the anime btw)
[B]Saiyuki[/B] Have the anime, love the anime, want the manga, hopefully I'll love that too.
[B]S-cry-ed[/B] Have the anime, love the anime, want the manga, hopefully I'll love that too... Wait a minute.. Did I just have deja vu?
[B]Chobits[/B] Never seen the anime, never read the manga but I'm told I'm missing out so I gotta check it out.
[B]Gatekeepers[/B] Read an excerpt and loved it.. Now just to save money... Hm...
[B]Angelic Layer[/B] Love... Anime.. Clamp.. Genius... Must.. Have..
[B]Princess Ai[/B] Read an excerpt. Looks interesting enough and the artwork is beautiful (by now you've probably noticed that's a weakness. I see beautiful art and I'm drawn to it like a moth to a fire. Luckily, it doesn't kill me like the fire does)
[B]Girl Got Game[/B] I remember reading about it and thinking that was an awesome idea and the title has stayed with me so here it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MadameBatolli
Oh, not too many, sadly. I haven't been able to get out to the store. But I have a few that I borrow and such:
Hellsing
Under the Glass Moon: A personal must read from Korea. Only three made so far sadly
Model
One Piece
InuYasha
Trigun
Shaman King
Gundam Wing
The All-New Tenchi Muyo

I'm currently reading Naruto it kicks ***!But I'm waiting for the 4th volume.I'm a little confused about the charka stuff but I think I got the basics.Oh, if any of you have info on where to get a Naruto dvd with english audio please share the info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest krutiebabie
manhwa...hmmm yeah i'm korean...so..i read Full House right now (apparently they already have made as a soap opera lol) and for japanese...hot gimmick..uh...GTO...I''s is good too

Hmm... well what I've been reading recently and what I own are two different stories ^_^;

I did just buy [B]Banana Fish[/B] volume 1, I find the ideas in it are very interesting, plus there's the whole oddly twisted and hinted relationships between some of the guys in the series o_o

[B]Demon Diary[/B] volume 3 I also bought recently, gotta love the shounen-ai hints in there.. one of my friends who says she doesn't like shounen-ai yet likes Demon Diary was adamantly denying that there was shounen-ai. haha...

[B]FAKE[/B] I actually just finished reading this series, but because so many people are listing it, I thought I'd list it to, and add that I not only own all 7 volumes of FAKE, but that I've read online the conclusion chapter that doesn't go with the manga and was published as a side-story in a differnt manga the author did. Anyway, the short chapter was called "[B]Like Like Love[/B]", it's a really nice ending, tying up all the lose ends of who-gets-who ^__^

[B]Gravitation[/B] I bought the 7th volume of Gravitation a while ago, I had read up to volume 6 scanlated a long time ago and never felt the need to go out and spend $100 on something I already had on the computer, but since the series scans stop at the start of volume 7, I thought I better start reading the English translations =P

I think that about sums up the manga I currently own and am collecting, I would add in [B]Kodocha[/B], [B]NOW[/B] and a few others, but I only own one or two volumes of them, and can't find the rest in stores, so I can't really say that I'm 'reading' them... just that I want to be ;)

As for things I'm reading on the computer! I've already made such a long list, and that's just with the things I own and have read recently.. making a list and giving reasons for the manga I'm reading online would be too much, so I'll just list them...

[B]Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, Monster, DN Angel, Tsubasa, Cardcaptor Sakura, 20th Century Boys, Ranma 1/2, Saiyuki and Tokyo Babylon[/B] would be some of the ones I've been reading :)

• 9 months later...
I Resently read a book called
Alchino-At first I questined reading it because the art work was a little unusual for me it was a little more serious than other books I have no spoilers but the book was great. Only problem is unless you can read Japaneese the books sem to take for ever to come out. I got the first one in March and the next one doesnt come out until next month in June but I plan to get it any way.[COLOR=Navy][COLOR=Navy]Ill get used to it [/COLOR][/COLOR]

• 5 months later...
I just got done a Manga series. There is 7 books to the series. It's very hard to talk about the book with out given away so of the good parts.What it is basicly about is a young artist names Jae that makes a deal with a Vampire named Micheal. Along the way Jae incounters some very interesting characters like Ken and Eva.The Manga is what you call an Horror and Romance type of book. If your into the Vampires or looking for a good Manga you should pick Model by Lee So-Young.

Guest hikaru_kz
well i'm kinda new here so here are the manga's i'm reading

Saiyuki-1,2,3,4
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle-1,2,3,4,5,6 getting 7
Demon diary-1,2,3
Vampire Game-1,2
Fruits Basket-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
Saikano-1,2,3,4,5,6

wells thats it ^_^

[color=darkblue]Welcome to OB, hikaru_kz. The unwritten rule of sorts with this thread is to not just posts lists and go into a bit of detail about why you're reading what you're reading. I'm not asking for an essay or anything, just a bit of detail. Thanks.[/color]

[font=times new roman]Right now I'm reading...

[b]Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, vol. 6[/b] I have no idea WHY... o.O It's just not my kinda thing, yet, I'm really likin' it. Fai is just great. Him and Kurogane are too funny together. :animesmil I love the art a lot too, might be a part of why I like it so much...

[b]Yotsuba&!, vol. 3 [/b] Nutty little kid running around causing utter chaos? Heck yeah. I'm lovin' this series, hilarious (and cute)! Brings back memories... lol

And I'm always re-reading stuff I have...right now: [b]FLCL, Azumanga Daioh, Gunslinger Girl[/b]! [/font]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Right now I'm reading the newest manga by SJ, Death Note. So far, it seems really, really creepy, but it kind of draws you into it because the story is so good. [/COLOR] [/FONT] :animesmil :catgirl: [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]I so love the artist who does Death Note because it's the same person who did Hikaru no Go, which is, like, the most awesomest manga of all. [/COLOR] [/FONT] :animesmil [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Also, what also caught me into it is where Light found the notebook and he can kill anyone in the world. To me, that it kind of weird, but, I mean, who the heck would pass that up??? Gah, I think I would...... [/COLOR] [/FONT] :animedepr :animedepr :animeswea

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=DarkOrange]It's been a while since I've replied to this post. Since my last posting in this paricular thread, I have started to read several new manga series. Out of those several series, I shall disuss some of my favorite ones.
[B]
4. Chobits[/B]
My friend [theMouse] on MyO was the person who introduced this series to me. This is a manga series by CLAMP [[B]X[/B], [B]Tokyo Babylon[/B], [B]Tsubasa Chronicle[/B], [B]CCS[/B]]. This series is pretty much about artificial intelligence via Persocom. The main thing I enjoy about this series is that it makes you think a bit beyond the superficial story. Can you consider AI as a life? Can Persocoms love? Can a person love a Persocom back? Very interesting, and humorous as well. Hideaki totally cracks me up. But...why must they constantly show Chi's boobs? I still wonder.

[B]3.Ouran High School Host Club[/B]
I actually came across this series at a bookstore that was going out of business. The store was selling everything 50% off, including manga. So, I decided to puchase this series because the summary sounded cute and funny. This series is about a girl who attends a private school for the wealthiest of all wealthy kids. This girl is only able to attend the school because of scholarship. One day, she meandered to a room only to discover that it housed the school's Host Club. The host club consists of 6 male, wealthy, and attractive students. With the worst of luck, this girl [who does NOT look like a girl] knocks over an $80,000 dollar vase. The Host Club is quite upset. Thus, this girl must now work off her debt as a new member of the Host Club -- as a huy. LOL! I like this series. It has [B]HanaKimi[/B] features, but I think it's even funnier.

[B]2. Wild Adapter[/B]
This series was created by the same Mangaka who created Saiyuki. This series...umm...I actually like the story more than[B] Saiyuk[/B]i. It's pretty much about the adventures of two mysteriuos guys who are determined to learn more about their past. However, as they continue to work with eachother, they keep on running into something related to a street drug called WA. Well, I realize that this isn't a very good description. ^^;; Sorries. I've only read the 1st two volumes on scanlations. Hopefuilly, Wild Adapter will get licensed so I can read more and collect it too!

[B]1. Death Note[/B]
This series is by far my most favorite out of all my new series. I decided to pick up this series because I wanted a change from the usual fluffly, sweet stuff that I usually read. I wanted some dark, twisted, and creepy. Well, with one look at the cover of Death Note volume 1, I knew that this series was not going to be sugary sweet. And it isn't. BUT, it isn't THAT creepy either. In fact, I think that this series is actually a thinker. Lots of moral questions about death, killing, murder...what's right/what's wrong. All is very interesting. I would have to say that this series is my number one recommendation for all of you who want to read something different and thought-provoking.

Phew. That was long.

[/COLOR]

I'm in the middle of too many series to write about so I'll just answer [I]What new manga/manwha are you reading now?[/I] with what I have got to read, in my possession. I have Volume 1 of Fushigi Yuugi to read when I go to bed tonight.

Actually, it's not just one new series that I'm reading now; it's a whole genre. o_O

I used to avoid shoujo manga like the plague. Something about it just seemed so unappealing for these past years, that I never once took a look at one (maybe it was all the flowers and girl whatnot XD). But about a month ago, I just randomly decided to read one shoujo series and I found that I really liked it. That's pretty much all that I've been reading lately. It's so addictive!

I'm in the process of reading [B]Hana Yori Dango [/B] right now (at about volume 19). I find it to be a very enjoyable series, despite the artwork feeling a little dated.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure this shoujo craze is the fault of Arina Tanemura. I started reading her series[B] Shinshi Doumei Cross[/B], and I liked it enough to look for more of it, finding other series along the way.

That's enough for shoujo I think XD

I also picked up volumes 1 and 2 of [B]Death Note[/B]. I've already read quite a bit of the series previously before it was licensed, but I didn't mind at all reading it over again.

I've also started reading [B]Emma [/B] and [B]Koi Kaze[/B], but I'm taking those series more slowly as I feel there's no need to rush. Btw, I'd seriously recommend Emma. It's simplistic in some ways, but is really [I]really [/I] nice.