OtakuBoards

Maturing Tastes

Dagger

Guest keyblade master
Originally I would only watch Dragon Ball Z but then i started to watch other anime because I wanted to get idea for my drawings. I guess I just got hooked on anime. Anyway the anime i watched to get ideas for my drawings was Out Law Star which got me hooked on on deep and funny anime's and well thats where I stand now?

1. The first anime TV series that I ever remember watching was Sailor Moon. I didn't even know that it was anime at the time and I didn't find out until years later. I loved it at the time because of its funny situations and the cool powers that the Sailor Scouts had. After Sailor Moon S started airing on Toonami, I decided to pick up some of the uncut videos. I still love Sailor Moon today and I'm still hoping that Stars will be picked up someday.

The first OAV that I remember seeing was Tenchi Muyo. I loved the humor and the characters, and later I watched the two TV series.

I don't watch a lot of anime movies, but the first one I ever remember seeing was Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. I hadn't seen much of the TV series, but I understood most of it. I loved the action and the visuals in the movie.

2. I'm with Sere on this one. If a series looks interesting, I'll watch/buy it. I'm very rarely disappointed with any series I watch.

3. I would say that my tastes have definitely matured. I still watch and enjoy stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon, but I also watch stuff like Vampire Princess Miyu, Witch Hunter Robin, and Utena. I tend to like the darker stuff now... but I still enjoy a bit of light humor every once in a while.

Guest otakunater
1. What was the first anime movie, series or OVA you ever watched?
well, in the beginning there was sailor moon, I enjoyed that for a while untill I hit that age where you start fearing all things girly (eg. pink, kisses, cuteness, and of course GIRLS) you know the one I'm talking about, probably around 6, well then I got into dbz around 8, I loved that action-packed goodnes, then it went into reruns, around 10 I got into pokemon, I loved the cute pokemon and... I don't really remember why I loked it exactly, at the time I was at a under this weird private school rules that didn't allow me to watch tv, but my parents still let me watch half an hour a day, that was pretty much all I had, in order to watch it I had to stop watching the magic school bus lol, through all of these I didn't even know what anime was, when I hit 11 I read this book on how to draw manga, went through another few years thinking, and I quote my exact words "anime is cool and all, but it's stupid to like a T.V. show just because of the art" man I was clueless, then I hit my mid-teens, went to high-school, and heard of an anime club and decided to give it a try, just because I was a lonely little man in public school and if I didn't join something that would stick in high-school. well I loved it :D

2. Do you feel that time has made you more picky about the titles which you like and/or choose to buy?
no, it used to be that anime was cool but not worth money, now I buy lots of stuff :laugh: !

3. If you had watched some of your current favorite shows when you first got into anime, would you have been able to appreciate them as much as you do now?
heck no, I used to likeaction packed stuff with very little talk or storyline, now I'm into character developement and storylines, I'd be board to tears back in the days of pokemon lol :ball:

[COLOR=Navy]Why don't you try substituting a few periods for all of those commas?

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

The first anime series I ever watched was Sailor Moon, in the mornings before I left for school. I also discovered that DragonBall Z was on the Spanish channel about then.

2. Do you feel that time has made you more picky about the titles which you like and/or choose to buy?
Much more so. I'm more into the angsty, dramatic anime than just slapstick comedy, and I like when I can find a show that not only makes me smile, but makes me think (Trigun, Gundam Wing, things with a message)

3. If you had watched some of your current favorite shows when you first got into anime, would you have been able to appreciate them as much as you do now?
Definitely not. I was just too young at the time, and now that I'm older, I can understand the politics of Wing, or the pacifistic message of Trigun.

[color=green]I sometimes have a hard time thinking of myself as mature... Let's see if my tastes prove me wrong or right.[/color]

[quote]Keeping that theme in mind, here are a couple of questions.

3. If you had watched some of your current favorite shows when you first got into anime, would you have been able to appreciate them as much as you do now?[/quote]

[color=green]The first anime I ever saw and recognized as somethign else was Vampire Hunter D. I used to sneak out of bed late at night to watch when I was little. It was on late at night on HBo or somethig and I loved it. A few years later Cartoon Network was added to our cable system and so I watched Sailor Moon. I thought it was great. I haven't see all the episodes, nor have I watched it in years, but I think I could stand to watch it some more. Growning up in the rural area of western Kansas that I did though, the availability of anything beyond that was small or non existant. I will admit, i still watch a Pokemon episode here and there, but that show can be really self depreciating, and I think that's hilarious. I watch some Yu-Gi-Oh as well, though the translation by 4Kids does it no justice. I can barely stand to watch it now though, they've taken the depth out of the characters.

2. I feel that money makes me more picky about what I buy. I used to buy a lot of stuff on a whim, but now I am feeling a financial crunch, so I have lightened my buying habits. Age may have something to do with it though. I won't just buy things because of the coverjacket and it's description anymore. I want to either have seen some and liked it or heard some good reviews from trusted sources.

3. I think that if I had watched, say Fruits Basket I would havae thought it was cute, but not really have enjoyed it on the level I do now. I wouldn't have appeciated the character depth and some of the, strike that, most of the comedy. Cowboy Bebop I definitely wouldn't have gotten, at all. Since it's very episodic and they don't really flow together, I think I would have lost interest at an earlier time in my life. I have recently started watching Angel Sanctuary, and definitely I wouldn't have gotten that as a kid... It has some subject matter that isn't youngster friendly...[/color]

[color=red][b]1. What was the first anime movie, series or OVA you ever watched?[/b][/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange] I only wached Pokémon....I came in on it on the whole craze thing, but the animé too kiddie for me as I grew older, so I stoped waching it. But while I was still waching Pokémon, I started to get in to Tenchi....As my love of Tenchi grew, my love for the pokémon animé declined.[/color]

[b][color=red]2. Do you feel that time has made you more picky about the titles which you like and/or choose to buy?[/b][/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Well The animé I like has to be in the style of Pokémon and Tenchi, What I mean is the character style, and how the style of drawing is. But other then that no....I like to discover new animé but first I sample the Manga to see if it is worth spending the $30 to buy the DVD.[/color]

[color=red][b]3. If you had watched some of your current favorite shows when you first got into anime, would you have been able to appreciate them as much as you do now?[/b][/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]No....I Like Cowboy Bebop now for example, but back then I thought it was too "Bloody" and it had "Too much killing" (Before I knew what edits were) But as I got older my tastes Matured so now I like Cowboy Bebop now. So I don't think back then I would feel the same as I do now about what I like.[/color]

• 5 months later...
[QUOTE] Dagger IX1:1. What was the first anime movie, series or OVA you ever watched?[/QUOTE]Well the first anime series I ever watched and I knew it was anime was DBZ.And the first anime movie that I watched was Akira.I got to watch Akira not to long after I found DBZ,and then after DBZ I found Inuyasha and thats when I fell in love!!

[QUOTE]Dagger IX1:
2. Do you feel that time has made you more picky about the titles which you like and/or choose to buy?[/QUOTE]Well no I don't think it has,I mean I will watch a anime once and if I like it I go buy it.I can't say that I have watch that much anime but, I do prefer the more violent anime to any others.If I had to choose between watching a episode of DBZ or a episode of Inuyasha I would watch Inuyasha.I guess its the violents that I like in a anime,and a good story with lots of demons.As far as buying I do like to buy anime but, I like to watch it first and not all the time can I watch it before I buy so that causes a problem.

[QUOTE]Dagger IX1:3. If you had watched some of your current favorite shows when you first got into anime, would you have been able to appreciate them as much as you do now?[/QUOTE]Yes, I think I would I mean that kinda stuff really gets my attention in every way.I mean I started to watch anime when I was a teen anyway so all the violents made it better.But if I was to watch Case closed back then I don't think I would have liked it to much,not like I do now.I think because it doesn't have as much blood and violents as I like I mean DBZ doesn't have much blood either but,its the fighting and the story once again that makes me want to watch.

[color=#503f86][size=1][b]Fixed quote tags. Make sure to add in a '/' to the closing vB code (e.g. [/QUOTE]) ^_~ -Solo[/size][/color][/b]

[SIZE=-3]1. What was the first anime movie, series or OVA you ever watched?

3. If you had watched some of your current favorite shows when you first got into anime, would you have been able to appreciate them as much as you do now?[/SIZE]

[B][SIZE=3]Well...[/SIZE][/B]
1. It was back around in 94-95, I first saw DBZ (not on CN yet) and was hooked into it. The show just oozed style. I wanted more so I began to watch other shows, and thus, this is how I came to be the fanatic :wigout: I am today.

2. Not so much really, It really depended on if the shows sat well with my tastes which, I can safely say, have remained the same for almost a decade. So im not picky at all when going through shows of different genres. Unless the show is [I]too familar[/I]...read my third answer to get what I mean...

3. Actually, if anything, I would compare NEW shows to the OLD ones. I think I can't appreciate a new show if it doesn't really bring anything new to the table, like original music, story, characters, and so on. This seems to be something that plagues a few shows. I mean the whole "[I]Space Outlaw/Freelancer/Bounty Hunter/Hero/Loner[/I]" character is cool and all...but I have seen it done so many times. Cowboy Bebop (not saying it invented it but just using an example) did all that and it did it [I]well[/I]. It practically rewrote new standards for ALL shows. Shows that take on a more [I]fantasy/magical[/I] approach are awesome. They can be some of the most creative shows...when they actually have put some effort into it. How many shows really seem different from any others? After awhile, some of those shows seem to blend together, whether it be the same old guy out to save the world/girl/whatever...or another main character falling in love with another main character...it gets redundant after awhile, and you can almost [I]expect[/I] what is going happen next in shows you have never even seen before. Some shows take the easy way out and copy another show's whole concept and premise and just change a few details here and there, like names and so on. It's hard (IMHO) to find original content these days... :(

Basically, what im trying to say is:
[COLOR=DarkRed]~Im tired of shows ripping off old concepts and (for lack of a better word) sucking at it. Stop taking the easy way out!~[/COLOR] :mad:

:laugh: My first anime: Speed Racer. My dad had a few videos of Speed Racer he taped for me. I was around 3 then, so of course anime wasn't a word yet.

Then the whole Pokemon crap started to fling around, but the TV show didnt really appeal to me that much. I watched it, anyway, though. It was the first time the bad dubbing concept was around, but I just said "The voices are really annoying." :D

Triugn was the first series I really started to watch. Everyone keeps saying DB/Z/GT or Sailor Moon, but I hated Sailor Moon because it was just to glitzy and glittery, and DBZ was just too stupid. I read the Naruto manga, too. Those were good times... ;)

I definetly am picky about my anime now. Basically, if it spans more than 50 episodes, it's going to be cool in the beginning, but the plot will just get lame and repetitive in later episodes. I thourghly learned that from Yu-Yu Hakusho and InuYasha. :flaming:

Serial Experiments Lain is a favorite of mine, and it would probably put me to sleep :sleep: if I saw it when I was just getting into anime. The plots for Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop might of confused me, too, but now, their kind of elementary.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=Purple]1. What was the first anime movie, series or OVA you ever watched?[/COLOR]

That would be Sailormoon ^_~. I saw it's first episode airing on a local channel when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I totally loved it and vowed to not miss any episode... but I eventually did. I never finished it because it was so long. V.V

Then I found some toys lying around the house, given by my cousin's from Japan, and discovered that they were Sailormoon goodies. Imagine how happy I was, lol. Also, it was because of anime that my drawing skills bloomed.

I remember calling it a 'Japanese cartoon' before since the word 'anime' wasn't invented yet and my friends were like O.o when I talk about it. That's probably the reason why I hid my love for anime until YuYu Hakusho became famous and anime eventually was loved by all.

[COLOR=Purple]2. Do you feel that time has made you more picky about the titles which you like and/or choose to buy?[/COLOR]

Oh yes, definitely. I now settle for good animation, humor and interesting plot.

Good animation is a must for me. If it's bad, I'll probably only see it for the humor or the plot. If it's good, I'll see it depending on the plot. Bishies are not a plus. I may like the character because he's drool and swoon worthy but if he comes along with a really boring anime, the farthest he can go is in my avatar/banner/fanfic.

I don't buy anything though.

[COLOR=Purple]3. If you had watched some of your current favorite shows when you first got into anime, would you have been able to appreciate them as much as you do now?[/COLOR]

Hmm... let's just say that Sailormoon will always have a special, ignored place in my heart.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

The first anime i watched was Pokemon but i didn't particularly like it that much. I did like when it first started but i thought it just got worse and worse and then i stopped watching it, but then maybe i just changed, the anime's still the same but i'm different so i don't really like it anymore. hmmmm interesting.

i think when i first started watching anime i liked the cute pointless types, i still do, but i only like the ones which are extremely well drawn, such as, Fruit basket and Hamtaro. I like more serious types of anime with ninjas and samurais or angels and miko. eg. Haibane Renmai, Ninja Scroll the series, Inuyasha and samurai X.

Really i have a high regard for pretty much all anime, except maybe car anime and anime similar to Transformers(/ just anime that isn't funny with cheezy robots in it). I can even tolerate sport anime( i really hate sport).