OtakuBoards

Slang.

Godelsensei

Hey everyone , this thread is quite interesting for me because English in not my mother language and I only speak it for four years . Slang is the most interesting part of a foreign language because it's not in the books and when you use it you sound normal not like an 80 year old woman . That's what I learn in school but that?s not why I send this post . A lot of people seem to use the word meh as slang and for me it's amusing . When I reed the word meh I tend to think of a goat ... I do not want to offend people but I just tend to think that when I reed mehhh ... Anyway I have my slang to , some of them originally come from the English language and are mixed or translated in to my own language . I'm talking about general slang now , the kind the everyone knows . For example if some one says that '' su**s'' , me and my friends say that's'' zuigt'' . That the Dutch version of it . No I'm not from Deutsland , they speak German .Anyway sh** is a common slang now , everyone uses it as slang . We kinda loaned it .We have a lot of loaned words also common every day not slang words . They come from France , England and Germany and many other countries . And almost every city got his own slang words and dialects even though The Netherlands is a small country . Well this was my post it turned out very pointless but maybe it's still interesting for someone , who knows ? bye bye

Well I guess slang is divided into two categories really, no, maybe three.

[b]Generation[/b]
[b]Social Group[/b]
[b]Area[/b]

Every generation has their own slang terms as we all know, 70s slang and 80s slang, even 90s slang seems so dated to the people growing now, in a new generation. Although some of these terms can still be used, some slang terms last decades, even centuries. Some words, which were originally slang terms many hundreds of years ago have been made into actual words that are present in the dictionary today.

Every social group has their own slang terms, in-jokes and style of speech. This is usually developed from the things the group is interested in or the movies they watch etc. For example one group of people I hang out with use slang terms found in Keven Smith movies, usually said by Jay. My other group tends to use Japanese words quite frequently instead of English, such as Gomen ne instead of sorry. Other groups, such as Gangs or work groups or whatever have slang because of the social norms they are exposed to.

Areas have their own slang terms. From area's in citys to differing countries. I myself come from the North of England, Newcastle to be exact where, by the rest of the nation, we are known as Geordies. We have our own way of speaking and the broadest of us are unintelligable to the rest of the country. This would be the same in Australia, differing states in America, Scotland, regional dialects in France, Germany etc etc. It all depends on the place in which you grow up.

[i][b]Here endeth the lesson[/b][/i]

QUOTE=Subversive]I think you're confusing slang, jargon, and vernacular (spl?)

jargon is to a group of peers type thing....

vernacular is to a region...

slang is an alternate meaning deviating from the original...

okay?[/QUOTE]

Ehhh ... I guess but our loaned words are not necessary slang words, most of them are not but some of them are. And some English words became so normal that they are just as normal as Dutch words . That's al bye

• 2 weeks later...
Ahh, the ways I change or substitute words. With my friends and family, I am known to use the following slang

Tired=Ti-red
Darn=Chickens
Please and thank you=peas and franks for you
my way of expressing that I'm bored, I'm unhappy, I'm Ti-red=hemenemenem!(yah...)
good luck=luckluckluckluck(starts to sound like cluck cluck after a while..)
Heather(one of my friends)=Hedray
am=is (ex: I is ti-red)
no= yes...kind of...no
pretty=Shiny
I don't know=ummm, elephants?(or some other random word)
People= P.O.plays
Friends=fellow idiots/wierdos/insane people
cool=fun
perfect=poifect
confused=confuzzled
yes=ya or sha
smart=unstupid

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. If I say some more slang soon, I'll let ya know :p

Heh...my friends and I are pretty much just outside our social standing...we can move around to get what we want...

we have our own slang, too...mostly from various sources.

1.) "SAVE ME JEBUS!" We all yell this when asking from assistance from one of our more religious friends.

2.) "GRRARRGSNARL!" - Used to express displeasure or anger.

3.) We call upon eachother by the acronym of our internet alias. (I'm TGM, one of my friends is BTM, etc...)

4.) Random Thoughts - Usually these are in some sort of context, but it's just random blather spewing from our mouths, that the rest of us somehow understand--usually it's one use only.

5.) GAY, GAY, GAY!! (no offense)-- When stuff doesn't go our way.

6.) I swear that I'll eat your children!-- means: "no" or "don't do it"

7.) General disregard for grammar = low on time.

That's all that I can think of right now...

[b][size=1]Sometimes I wonder why you people even bother with slang. A lot of them seem more complicated than saying the actual words themselves. Hehe.

HE WAS A TOTAL THESPIAN: refers to the ummm, "not-so-straight" people in drama club.

WORD: my response to anything that goes over my head or I don't understand.

F**K TUDDRUSSEL: refers to anyone who is very stupid or annnoying. like Buck Tuddrussel from "Time Squad" on Cartoon Network.

BONER: a really big mistake. as in, "I pulled such a boner when I wrecked my mom's car."

RABBLE!! RABBLE, RABBLE!!: refers to what we say in class, over and over, whenever a mean substitute is being mean and we want to get on their nerves. (it's from south park)

Then there is the universal "cough statement". Which is where you say something when you cough. But, that's fairly obvious. I don't even know why I felt like I had to explain it.
[/b][/size]

Guest Wandering Mage
Tight: The equivalent of "cool" or "awesome"
Fo' schizzle: For real
Snap!: *****!

^being regular person slang

\/ being our lunchroom "cult" slang XD

Grr!: Damn!
Dude!: Woah!
Gothic Guns: our unofficial title, it's kinda being used to describe people who are goth or are "dabbling in the occult." Stupid people :twitch:

Eh...my "group" is a bunch of outcasts obsessed with Jimi Hendrix and anything involving the 60's, therefore we use a lot of 60's slang. We end up using the phrases "can you dig it?" and "man" quite often. I also hang out with a lot of the "goth" kids you might say, which we all have our phrases but some specifics are...

"Peace in the Middle East" - general way to say goodbye
"Instagoth" - a poser basically
"Tripping" - well you're hooked up to a good travel agent you would say
"Munchkin" - under-classmen
*edit* "On the fritz" - crazy, disfuntional

Those are the only ones that I can think of off hand, but then living in Michigan, there are also a few mentionable. We have special names for Detroit. "D-Town" refers to the murder capital, and "straight outta compton" refers to a native Detrioter. Fun stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sk8er_chiykk
[SIZE=4]slang eh??[/SIZE]

My fav is : Dont be all up in my kool aid .....Meaning basiclly stay out of my face. :devil:
Any one no any real ghood slang sayings .....My grandmas ben sayin slang lol!
and i need some good sayings to tell her she wants some to use .....lol...lol..lol :D

[color=darkviolet] I was introduced to new slang a few weeks ago when a friend of mine said something strange. I told her she had issues and she said, yes, I have shoes.

Now we use it whenever someone decides to tell us we have issues.

Ex:
CRP: You have issues
CWH: *looks down at her feet* YEs I have shoes.

Okay, maybe that's not slang, but like I said, my friends are much more scarier than your friends. Most of my friends have children and have known me for a few years. If that explains anything.[/color]

[quote name='Panda']Growing up in the 80's (which is the time many of you were born!) leaves me with very dated slang words. I still find myself saying "totally" totally too much. LOL Of course, I am with my friends who are the same age and have the same old slang words. You will all see when you are my age you will be using the slang words you grew up with!![/quote]I wish I was born in the 80's.

[quote name='Godelsensei][font=Courier New][color=#808080]Becoming a laughing stalk through using words that belong in Shakespearian English and early children's books?? That's a sad assumption to possess. Truly.[font=Tahoma'][color=black][/quote][/color][/font][/color][/font][color=black]Shakespeare can be quite funny.[/color]
[color=black]"She is spherical, like a globe. You could find countries on her." Lol.[/color]
[font=Courier New][color=#808080][/color][/font]
[font=Courier New][color=#808080][/color][/font]
One of my most frequent phrases is "mmm...sampum." Very much an inside joke.
Hoo-ha! - Used in virtually any good situation. Coach Z rocks.
Check it out, yo. - Hey, look at this.
What's up with that? - Yes, you all know it. I just say it more than you.
excellent - I find myself saying it more and more...

Anything else I say is completely random, but never gets used enough to be one of my phrases.

[color=green][size=1]

[B]Killah!:[/B] Like "That mess is killah!" my freind Matt got me hooked. Its funny to hear said.

[B]Tight:[/B] Tight as in "Thats tight" as in good or cool.

[B]Poonahnah:[/B] As in "I'm gonna get me some Poonahnah, tonight!" Female Sex Organ.

[B]Main:[/B] Its like 'Man', except more weird sounding.

[B]Butterhead:[/B] As in "Everything looks good, but 'er Head! AHAHA!"

Thats just a few of the slang words me and my freinds use.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=ReFlux][color=green][size=1]

[[B]Butterhead:[/B] As in "Everything looks good, but 'er Head! AHAHA!"

.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]I haven't heard that one before.

But my husband and his friends use the term : [b]Butterface[/b]-Meaning that everything's great, but her face will make you run.

ONe I like is [b]He flew over the coo-koo's nest[/b] Meaning, he's crazy

As for the whole 80's thing, I was born in 81.[/color]

We have a few on TT, my gap year course:

"Sausage"- any random thing at all, ie. "Bring us that sausage", "Here's a little sausage for you" (during a talk, referring to a point)

"Johnson"- any random thing or person "Go bring Johnson over here", "fetch us that Johnson"

"Moley"- Sweaty, derived from "Mole patch"- a patch of sweat

There's probably more but it's quite late so not right now

[color=green][size=1]

[B]A-- Clown:[/B] as in "Don't be an A-- Clown". Calls toward a stupid or ignorant person.

[B]Luncbox or Tons of Fun:[/B] More like a nickname for one of my freind who looks like a black Silent Bob aka Kevin Smith.

[B]Homes:[/B] same thing as saying "homie".

[B]Inner Feelings:[/B] When a person does something stupid or something you rather not say, you just utter "Inner Feelings" and no questions are asked.

[B]Kid:[/B] as in "You just got taken, Kid!" calling towards a person who is beaten badly at something.

[B]Excuse Me:[/B] just like saying shut up.

There are more.... later though. [/color][/size]

[size=1][color=darkred][b]Fo' Schizzle mah nizzle[/b]: As in, do people really talk like this?

Seriously guys...some of this stuff is absolutely ridiculous. There is slang, there is [i]slang[/i] and there is absolutely stupid, ridiculous, rubbish.

Which section does your stuff belong in?

[b]Whatever[/b]: When I can't be bothered explaining.
[b]Sure thing[/b]: Affirmative, cool and laidback. Or just another form of blowing people off.
[b]Foonge[/b]: Odd word we use for a friend of mine. He is kind of clumsy and strange and...the word fits him.
[b]Senior-Major[/b]: Expression I used a few years ago quite often to express...well, a 'lot'. Such as "Busted Senior-Major!" or "Holy Senior-Major".
[b]Beat Feet[/b]: As in to 'hurry up' or 'Let's go'.

Thats about it. Lots of stuff I probably don't realise I use though.[/size][/color]

[color=darkviolet]I don't know if it's actually slang, but my friends and I use out of the ordinary phrases and such.

One of my favorites is shallow brained. I use that instead of saying someone lacks their own opinions. Or they're just very narrow minded

[b]ie[/b] She's a rather shallow brained person, I wish she'd learn to think for herself.

Intellectually impaired- This means that the person is stupid, but I think it's sounds nicer.

Does that help or hurt my current situation?[/color]