OtakuBoards

An admirable effort, wouldn't you say...

Doukeshi

Admirable qualities, qualities in people that you admire and applaud.

I was at work today and I found out something about one of my colleagues. As well as working where I work during the week, which, truthfully, doesn't pay all that well, she has a job at a hotel that she works on weekends. She works until 2am then gets up at 10am the to star all over again. She also works in a burger van on saturdays. All this on top of school during the week. This is in aid of saving for a holiday she wants so much to go on. Despite the fact that she is most likely overworking herself I find this determination and motivation to work for something very admirable.

I admire people that work hard, even when those around them to not. I admire people who are so nice to everyone they meet, even though some people may not deserve it. I admire those who, even though it is none of their business stand up for the weaker among us, the selfless and the determined.

What qualities do you admire in people, what do you applaud in those around you?

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Traits that I admire in a person? Well, what I really look for is some one's ability to shrug off what people pressure them to do. No one can do this all the time, but those who are able to and not care have my respect.
Generoscity is a big one, as long as you aren't making a doormat of yourself.

Being hard-working is something I admire, and simultaneously is something I will never be.

Respecting people innitially, and not picking fights is always nice in a person.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I admire people that arn't afraid to be themselfs, no matter what the circumstances. Lets just face it, that is a quality that most do not have the courage to do. People want to 'fit in' with a certin crowd. It happens to the best of us...

-Mark

[SIZE=1]I must agree with the aforementioned notion of hard work. Hard work, in fact, is probably one of the most admirable traits a person can have in my eyes.

The reason I see it this way lies in the method in which I was raised. When I was born, the very year in fact, my dad's taxes read that he made $0. That's right nothing. All of it was spent on family expenses, taxes for working as a self-employed man, and anything else I can't think of right at the moment. We lived on the edge of poverty and I was only the first child. But as time went on (and I gained a pair of sister siblings) my dad worked his butt off for 50-60+ hours per week to support his family and still made time to spend with his kids.

Nowadays, my dad makes nearly 70-80 grand per year as opposed to nothing 18 years ago when I was born. It may have taken him nearly 20 years to do it, but with hard work he proved that you can make it in this world and it is possibly to succeed.

I also admire honesty in a person. There's nothing worse than when someone lies compulsively or is just the "sugarcoating" type that can never lay it out straight to someone.

A little bit of humility and humbleness is also a HUGE plus in my eyes. I really don't enjoy pompous and arrogant people who are full of themselves and think of no one else but themselves.

What I DON'T admire is as follows: Laziness, Being Conceited, Pompousness, Arrogance, Superiority complex, Intense racism/hatred/predjudice. Also, I don't enjoy people who have immense amounts of wealth in their life and COMPLAIN about how hard life is. Don't get me started on how much worse you could be off that you are now. People who are born into money (Hilton sisters come to mind) have no idea what it's like to work hard just to get by everyday of your life.

::stops his ranting before he gets any more steamed::[/SIZE]

[size=1][color=navy]I admire a person who sticks with one thing and sees through whatever he/she may start. Even if what they may believe in happens to be incorrect, seeing through something to the very end, or to stick to one path is something that very few people can do today. So consistency, perseverence, endurance, and all that ranks the highest in my opinion.[/size][/color]

Guest lavalamp
[quote name='Sir Kyle][SIZE=1']Also, I don't enjoy people who have immense amounts of wealth in their life and COMPLAIN about how hard life is. Don't get me started on how much worse you could be off that you are now. People who are born into money (Hilton sisters come to mind) have no idea what it's like to work hard just to get by everyday of your life.[/SIZE][/quote]

By the same token, you also have no idea what it's like to be born into a family like the "Hilton sisters". People with money are faced with numerous problems and have to work to overcome them. Life is hard for everyone, and news flash: there are people in third-world countries looking at the financial situation you had to face and begging to experience it. Everyone's a victim. Boo hoo.

As for traits I admire:

I like people who are honest. I like people who aren't so set on a path filled with idealistic road barriers. I like people who take life day by day and don't make plans for 75 years down the road.

[size=1][color=darkred]Values I admire.

[b]Honesty[/b]: How can you like a person who you know may be lying to you at every stage? You must be able to trust that they have [i]some[/i] amount of honesty.

[Also Includes [b]Trustworthiness, Loyalty and Integrity[/b].]

[b]Courage[/b]: The courage to be honest, the courage to view the world honestly, the courage to stick to your guns, the courage to accept when you are wrong, and defend when you are right. The courage to stand alone, if need be, against the tide. The courage to rise above the crowd, no matter where. The courage to smile at people. The courage to live. Admirable.

[b]Focus[/b]: One attribute I really wish I had. This attribute is a wonderful, miraculous thing, and those who have it I admire greatly.

[b]Courteousness[/b]: I have this [Yes, I do!] and it is... a nice thing to help another person. It is [b]polite[/b] and [b]charitable[/b] to aid another, and be kind. A simple, yet sometimes lacking faculty.

[b]Selflessness[/b]: The ability to help another, with no thought for yourself or your wishes, just because you should. Isn't that admirable?[/size][/color]

Ok, so this breaks with the trend a bit, but I've always admired a person that can be an asshole. I've met so many people that get walked all over, and it's refreshing when you meet someone that's willing to stand up for themselves no matter what the situation may be.

I really enjoy straighfoward honesty. It means something to me when a person just tells me whatever they have on their mind despite any adverse reactions.

And, well, I suppose you could call it some form of dedication, but when a person does something, no matter how hard it is, it's admirable. I know so many kids my age that say they can't study what they want to study or go to the school they want to go to because their parents won't pay for them. I really admire that small percentage who are willing to work their ***es off to do what they want with their lives. It's cool, yo.

There are a few things which I find admirable in a person.

The first is the ability to actually make fun of yourself. There are way too many people who can't take a joke nowadays and it's refreshing to see someone who can take a joke and poke fun at themselves...I think it shows a great deal of self-confidence, honestly. A little humor is always a good thing.

Like others, I value honesty and also when others are straightforward. I don't like it when people needlessly dance around an issue because they think they might hurt someone else's feelings. If you really feel strongly about something, then you're doing others a disservice by trying to avoid confronting it.

I also think it's admirable when a person can step back, think about things and admit they're wrong about something. There are a lot of people who are really obstinate about certain things and who are unwilling to admit they're wrong, even when it's quite obvious that they're wrong. A level head is always an admirable trait, I'd say.

Guest Midnight Rush
Ambition Focused-
I have the utmost admiration for those who are able to put aside all distractions and focus on achieving something. Ambition is well and good, but someone who can focus it into pure and refined ruthless pusuance (is that a word?) of a goal, they are amazing. Not allowing day to day things to seperate you from goals and having the talent and ability to reach those goals is what I admire most.

Honor-
I'm not speaking morality here, but about people who keep their word. I admire those who do what they say they will do, and not back stab and lie and cheat and such.

[color=darkblue]I'll put the top two here, one good and one not so good.

[b]Empathy/compassion.[/b] It's really a rare gift these days to be able to treat others the way you would want to be treated. I can probably count the number of people I know that truly do this on one hand. I always try to do it myself, but I'm not perfect.

[b]Power.[/b] In today's society, you usually can't have it without money. Nothing makes me hotter than an attractive person expertedly weilding all sorts of money and power.

The fact that these two things can be somewhat contrasting, yet I find them equally valuable, is a mystery to me.[/color]