OtakuBoards

.hack//SIGN - spoilers

Guest dabienman

Guest GrandTheftWatto
AzureWolf:

I suppose you're right - some amount of plot holes are just part of the style of Anime. However, sometimes it transcends quirkiness and it just becomes downright frustrating. My above case about Tsukasa is an example of this..at least for me, others might not be bothered by it at all.

I was interested that you said the video games address this issue somehow...how so?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]GTW, not ALL anime series have plotholes. Sometimes it's the concept more than the execution of the plot that creates plotholes (.hack is a perfect example, haha). If you liked .hack, check out Noir. It's much more "down-to-earth" than .hack (but still farfetched).
[quote name='GrandTheftWatto']I was interested that you said the video games address this issue somehow...how so?[/quote] Liminality is all about "the science" behind getting into a video game. Then the last game has stuff that explains everything. I'm not sure if it was an easter egg (hidden) or if it was just blatant, but all the answers are in the last game (and on the Liminality DVD that comes with it).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

i love sora!!!!! :animeblus
he is soooo funny i love it when he fights he has a cool attitude

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Welcome to OtakuBoards, yunasgrace. Please be aware that OB has certain requirements regarding post quality and length- anything too short or of sub-par quality will be deleted as spam. While this isn't quite that bad, it's getting pretty close. Please be sure to add as much detail as you can to keep replies form becoming pointless, and use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation wherever you can. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Okay, I'm looking for answers, and I have a explaination.

How many times does Tsukasa use Magic in the show?

I know why he/she refrains from using it whenever possible, and I think s/he uses magic..erm..Once. In the second-to-last episode, he acts as healer when the group is confronted by another 'monster'.

I'm not quite clear on that though (my DVD is missing..>_<)..

[quote name='Secily']How many times does Tsukasa use Magic in the show?[/quote][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]What does it matter how many times he uses magic (side note: you can refer to Tsukasa as a he, regardless of what the user's gender is, as Tsukasa the character in "The World" is male). Does your explanation depend on it?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Well, I thought it would be a good point of discussion, how many times he uses magic, and why he does. Or, why he chooses not to when he could..Don't mind me throwing out my ideas though. Sorry if this is irrelevent and no one wants to discuss it..pardon me for trying..^^

[QUOTE=dabienman]im new to this forums and i dont kno why i cant post in the .hack section. it says its not accepting any posts. well anyways i have a question for the people that HAVE seen this anime.

1. is tsukasa's guardian (dumbel thingy) from maho? or morganna watever? or is someone tottally different.

2. in the end of episode 26. who are the 2 people in the credits? is it subaru in the wheel chair and tsukusa with the brown hair? or is the brown hair girl mimiru?

3. is maho bad or good? i dunt really get what he does in the whole anime... you never HEAR him talk either.[/QUOTE]
1.Tsukasa doesn't have a real guardian. Morganna pretended to care for Tsukasa. But really she's just using him to give birth to the "dark Aura"
2.Tsukasa is girl with the brown hair. Subaru's the girl in the wheelchair. (I know, its kinda disturbing. :animestun )
3.Maho...I don't know. I heard Maho was an old friend of Tsukasa's mom.

[quote name='animemonkey13']3.Maho...I don't know. I heard Maho was an old friend of Tsukasa's mom.[/quote]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkRed][spoiler]Macha is the first form of Mia from the .hack video games. Macha is turned into Mia by Morganna some time after .hack//SIGN ends and some time before the games begin. Mia then transforms into Macha(Phase 6) in .hack//QUARANTINE. After Macha is defeated, she transforms back into Mia and later becomes Macha(.hack//SIGN) again, once all of the phases have been defeated. Macha is then transformed for the final time, into Mia after the "Dawn Wanderer" is defeated by Kite.

So, Macha is not an actual character, but more of an NPC created by Morganna. Mia was meant to collect information on love and relationships(which is why she befriended Elk) and to collect Aromatic Grass which contained Macha's(Phase) data. Whether Macha is good or bad is all up to you really. On one hand, she's a phase and ultimately an enemy while on the other hand, she was Elk's idol and best friend, which you could say made her more of a "good" character.

From Macha(.hack//SIGN) to Mia to Macha(Phase 6) to Mia(briefly) to Macha(SIGN) and back to Mia again[/spoiler] :animeswea [/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=DDG][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkRed][spoiler]Macha is the first form of Mia from the .hack video games. Macha is turned into Mia by Morganna some time after .hack//SIGN ends and some time before the games begin. Mia then transforms into Macha(Phase 6) in .hack//QUARANTINE. After Macha is defeated, she transforms back into Mia and later becomes Macha(.hack//SIGN) again, once all of the phases have been defeated. Macha is then transformed for the final time, into Mia after the "Dawn Wanderer" is defeated by Kite.

So, Macha is not an actual character, but more of an NPC created by Morganna. Mia was meant to collect information on love and relationships(which is why she befriended Elk) and to collect Aromatic Grass which contained Macha's(Phase) data. Whether Macha is good or bad is all up to you really. On one hand, she's a phase and ultimately an enemy while on the other hand, she was Elk's idol and best friend, which you could say made her more of a "good" character.

From Macha(.hack//SIGN) to Mia to Macha(Phase 6) to Mia(briefly) to Macha(SIGN) and back to Mia again[/spoiler] :animeswea [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

.hack :animesigh :animeswea making life more complicated than it already needs to be. But that's what makes it interesting. :catgirl:

• 4 months later...
OK so in the last episode of dot hack//sign [spoiler]Sora is data drained into Skeith, why?. Did Skieth need Sora for some reason? When Kite (The end of INFECTION) Data Drained Skieth did sora wake up from his coma? Was Sora even in a Coma? Mia is also one of the eight phases, so does that mean each of the eight phases has part of a character in them? How was the net slum created? Helba isn't a created file and from what I've seen doesn't have data drain capabilities so for her to have that much knowledge and access in 'The World' is she an ex-CC corp worker or something?[/spoiler] :animesigh

This has to be one of the most complex animes I've ever seen/played. :animestun

If anyone has any good pictures of skeith (Or any of the eight phases) I'd really like it if you could send them to me!

~Rod~

Guest Puchiko
Maha appears in the end of the fourth PS2 game,I think right before Kite and Blackrose tries to defeat Cubia.

[quote name='SilentSecurity][spoiler]OK so in the last episode of dot hack//sign [spoiler]Sora is data drained into Skeith, why?. Did Skieth need Sora for some reason? When Kite (The end of INFECTION) Data Drained Skieth did sora wake up from his coma? Was Sora even in a Coma? Mia is also one of the eight phases, so does that mean each of the eight phases has part of a character in them? How was the net slum created? Helba isn't a created file and from what I've seen doesn't have data drain capabilities so for her to have that much knowledge and access in 'The World' is she an ex-CC corp worker or something?[/spoiler'] :animesigh[/quote]
[FONT=Tahoma][color=#666666]*cracks fingers* I haven't tried explaining stuff as complex as the .hack universe in awhile . . . I might be rusty >>

[spoiler]Its my own deduction that Morganna had Skeith Data Drain Sora as punishment for Sora disobeying Morganna(but I swear I read somewhere that that's what it was *scratches head* I don't remember...). Sora is not in Skeith itself, but Skeith's red wand. There's an area in one of the games(I'm not sure which) where you encounter Skeith's wand and upon making contact with Kite, Sora is set free from the confines of the wand and awakened from his coma in the real world.

Yes, Mia is also one of the eight phases, but no, that does not mean that each of the eight phases has part of a character in them. From the moment Mia is born, she is destined to become Macha. Mia forms a relationship with Elk to collect data on love and such(because that's what the eight phases were for: they collected the data on human emotions necessary for the birth of Aura). Aromatic Grass is a very important item in the sense that Aromatic Grass contains the data of Macha and thus, Mia is compelled to search for Aromatic Grass and collect it.

Mia is the only NPC that turns into a phase(Sora doesn't count because he's a real player and he didn't actually become Skeith, he just became trapped within Skeith's wand).

Net Slum . . . eh, let me think here. Net Slum is, of course, the hacker's Paradise. Net Slum is basically the place where "trash data" is stored. Failed attempts at creating NPC's are seen in Net Slum in the games. In SIGN, you see a bunch of versions of Tsukasa, I believe(I haven't seen SIGN in awhile) and in the Legend of the Twilight manga you see many different versions of Zefie running around.

I don't think Helba created Net Slum. I think it was the game itself that created it as a sort of "dump" to store all of the failed versions of NPC's and the likes.

Helba's a hacker. She could(in theory) gain access to any information available, anywhere, from anyone computer and any given time. She IS a legendary hacker, so its plausible that she broke into a lot of different places to get all of the information she did and of course, she would have busted through a lot of codes and locks when hacking into certain parts of "The World".[/spoiler]

:animesigh Whew. I know if you surf around the web you can probably find better explanations about all of that stuff. Keep in mind that what I've written is only what I can remember(I haven't seen either anime in ages, played the games in months and I haven't read anything of the manga since I bought the third volume. Not to mention I haven't been browsing around any of the .hack sites I've got bookmarked lately).[/FONT][/color]

[QUOTE=DDG][FONT=Tahoma][color=#666666]*cracks fingers* I haven't tried explaining stuff as complex as the .hack universe in awhile . . . I might be rusty >>

[spoiler]Its my own deduction that Morganna had Skeith Data Drain Sora as punishment for Sora disobeying Morganna(but I swear I read somewhere that that's what it was *scratches head* I don't remember...). Sora is not in Skeith itself, but Skeith's red wand. There's an area in one of the games(I'm not sure which) where you encounter Skeith's wand and upon making contact with Kite, Sora is set free from the confines of the wand and awakened from his coma in the real world.

Yes, Mia is also one of the eight phases, but no, that does not mean that each of the eight phases has part of a character in them. From the moment Mia is born, she is destined to become Macha. Mia forms a relationship with Elk to collect data on love and such(because that's what the eight phases were for: they collected the data on human emotions necessary for the birth of Aura). Aromatic Grass is a very important item in the sense that Aromatic Grass contains the data of Macha and thus, Mia is compelled to search for Aromatic Grass and collect it.

Mia is the only NPC that turns into a phase(Sora doesn't count because he's a real player and he didn't actually become Skeith, he just became trapped within Skeith's wand).

Net Slum . . . eh, let me think here. Net Slum is, of course, the hacker's Paradise. Net Slum is basically the place where "trash data" is stored. Failed attempts at creating NPC's are seen in Net Slum in the games. In SIGN, you see a bunch of versions of Tsukasa, I believe(I haven't seen SIGN in awhile) and in the Legend of the Twilight manga you see many different versions of Zefie running around.

I don't think Helba created Net Slum. I think it was the game itself that created it as a sort of "dump" to store all of the failed versions of NPC's and the likes.

Helba's a hacker. She could(in theory) gain access to any information available, anywhere, from anyone computer and any given time. She IS a legendary hacker, so its plausible that she broke into a lot of different places to get all of the information she did and of course, she would have busted through a lot of codes and locks when hacking into certain parts of "The World".[/spoiler]

:animesigh Whew. I know if you surf around the web you can probably find better explanations about all of that stuff. Keep in mind that what I've written is only what I can remember(I haven't seen either anime in ages, played the games in months and I haven't read anything of the manga since I bought the third volume. Not to mention I haven't been browsing around any of the .hack sites I've got bookmarked lately).[/FONT][/color][/QUOTE]

[spoiler] that area with skeith's wand is it something that you see on the board or something you have to find yourself?[/spoiler]

Thanks for all your answers

~Rod~

[QUOTE=SilentSecurity][spoiler] that area with skeith's wand is it something that you see on the board or something you have to find yourself?[/spoiler]

Thanks for all your answers

~Rod~[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Tahoma][color=#666666][spoiler]There's a post about it on the board. I'm sure of that. I think it might be in the third game because I remember I went there to level up(the area level was 70 or around there and I was in the 60's when I finally went in and beat it. They give it to you when you're definitely not ready to go there and fight yet).[/spoiler]

No problem.[/FONT][/color]

[QUOTE=DDG][FONT=Tahoma][color=#666666][spoiler]There's a post about it on the board. I'm sure of that. I think it might be in the third game because I remember I went there to level up(the area level was 70 or around there and I was in the 60's when I finally went in and beat it. They give it to you when you're definitely not ready to go there and fight yet).[/spoiler]

No problem.[/FONT][/color][/QUOTE]

I think it's the 4th game since I haven't seen it and I haven't gotten to the 4th game yet.

• 1 month later...
Hello,
I dont expect this thread to last long, but I wanted to ask a question that has plagued me for years.

.Hack. I watched the show, first of all, and that[s when I fell in love with it. Tsukasa, Mimiru, Bear and BT, and the rest of the .Hackers fighting to save the World.

Then, I saw the video game. Kite? Black Rose? Orca? What was going on? Black Rose/Mimiru, and Orca/Bear, they looked exactly the same, yet were different. I could not figure out the correlation between Kite and Tsukasa.

So my question. What is up with the video games and .Hack//Sign? Are they alternate universes? Is .Hack//Sign a different show, not about the original .hackers? Or what? Please answer, I'll really appreciate it.

~R.E.

Having seen the series, and played the games, I can safely say that they are part of the same universe. The whole issue behind your question about Black Rose and Mimuri is that they have a similar character model--understandable, considering that it is an online RPG.

Same goes for Bear and Orca.

However, Tsukasa and Kite aren't even in the same class--Tsukasa is a Wavemaster, whereas Kite is a Twin blade. If anything, I noticed more of a similarity between Tsukasa and Elk.

Or, an analogy that actually exists. Ever hear of Gaia Online? Well, on that forum you can make your own avatar. Male or Female, naturally, but there is a limited number of facial designs, hair styles, skin tones, hair and eye colors, etc. It's just natural that there'd be more than a few avatars that look alike.

Roughly, the .hack games are the events that follow Aura's awakening almost immediately--you do meet Tsukasa and other characters from SIGN later on in the game series, but they are not essential to the plot. Then after the game comes the manga--.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet. And before the series is .hack//FRAGMENT.

Hope that clears a few things up for you, Ryo!

[CENTER][SIZE=1]^ Yeah.

They are all in the SAME game at basically the SAME time. They just don't happen to meet up often until the end ^_^

[spoiler]At the very end, you get a few extra missions that you can invite Helba, Tsukasa, Mimiuru, Sora, Crim, etc. into your party to finish, but they don't have much purpose in the actual game play.[/spoiler]

The fact that they have quite similar avatars is partially just supposed to be coincidence, like Stark said.[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[COLOR=Navy]The series -- .hack//SIGN -- ends where the games -- INFECTION, MUTATION, OUTBREAK, QUARANTINE -- begin. Following the games is the .hack//Legend of the Twilight manga and anime(though they are both different from one another. The manga turns from the direction the anime went near the beginning of manga volume two.)

The similar character models is just as has already been mentioned. It is, in fact, made fun of and mentioned quite a bit in the .hack//LIMINALITY 4 DVD extra, .hack//GIFT.[/COLOR]

Hey,
Thanks a ton, Stark. What you brought up, DDG, made me wonder seriously too. I couldn't figure out. .HACK//Legend of the Twilight is one of my very favorite manga series - I'm read it several times over, great to read at night while listening to all my favorite .Hack music. Anyway, I finally saw an episode of the show on Friday night/Saturday morning on Cartoon Network. And I didn't recognize anything!

So...you're telling me that the .hack//LotT branch off at a point in the second story into two very distinct, different series? My one question is, WHY? I see no point in not making an anime adaption of the comic book. At first, I thought they might be happening at different times in the characters' adventures, but if what you say is correct, I simply don't understand it.

Do they end the same, with [SPOILER]Zephie and Aura[/SPOILER]? Does the .HACK//LotT anime even have [SPOILER]Zephie[/SPOILER]? On Second thought, don't answer those questions. I'll watch the show one of these days.

~Ryo

Much later...

.Hack//SIGN just ended for me, a few minutes ago. I just watched the last episode on Demand. Now, I'd actually seen the end of the series before, but..it was a long time ago. I hadn't been keeping up with the series, just randomly watching. I was a complete newb. Now, I am far, far closer to understanding the ending of .Hack//SIGN. But not there, yet. I don't know if these questions can be answered, but I'd like everyone to try. So, here are my questions: Let's see if I can piece together the shards of the ending of Tsukasa's journey.

[SPOILER]It seems Tsukasa almost logged out, right when Aura awakened. I guess she awakened by him demonstrating that he could log out. Then, Sora's ending. I can't believe they told us nothing as to what happened to the enigmatic bladesman. I can only guess that when Helba said "Extreme Caution" and that she was "Abandoning the area" she deleted either part of the slums or the entire thing, in order to take out Skafe, or whatever "the enemy" called what Sora was turned into. I can also, only assume that, when the area was deleted, Tsukasa and the rest were automatically logged out. But, what about Sora? Is he still in a coma...I guess there's no way for us to know. What happened to Aura too? Still more musings..

And finally, the very ending. This time around, I understood Tsukasa and Subaru's meeting in the real world. And, I was more able to accept that Tsukasa was a girl than in my first time seeing the show. But what on Earth was that final part? It showed some kind of huge dagger like thing in what looked like a sea in The World, an then it said, 'I've been waiting for you...for so long" and it lit red. Are we supposed to have any idea what that was? Or was it some strange ending teaser?

[/SPOILER]

~Ryo Escalus

I finished watching the .hack//SIGN series a little over a year ago with a few friends, and needless to say, the ending is QUITE ambiguous and you pratically need some sort of psychological analysis of the show to fully get everything :) [spoiler] according to .hack//UNISON (i THINK it was called) that was an "extra" episode that came in the dvds, where all the .hack//SIGN and the .hack// VG game characters got together for a little "party", There was tsukasa, subaru and the gang, as well as kite and black rose ect. I suppose it was sort of some way to tie up the entire show, since I don't think there will be a direct sequel to .hack//SIGN, despite the forboding ending. [/spoiler]

Alot of people went "what the heck" for the .hack//unison episode, but yeah it shows that happens to sora [spoiler] he's alive -somehow- and boogies![/spoilers]

But .hack//SIGN is one of the most prolific anime series in terms of story and art, I thought it was great but you definitely have to watch all the episodes in sequence to understand the story. I felt really bad for those kids who watched an episode here and there on AS and were totally weirded out :P